Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ZFS: Unable to automount snapshot - patch available?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: ZFS: Unable to automount snapshot - patch available? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I was digging around following Internet notes on ZFS, and there appears to be something missing from the current ZFS ebuild.

Specifically, when you have the .zfs directory visible, the notes indicate that you can traverse into the snapshots directory and from there into each snapshot.

When I do so on my system here, I get the following error message in the system log:

Aug 9 16:38:19 storage kernel: ZFS: Unable to automount p00/u00@Auto_weekly-2015-08-09-0000 at /u00/.zfs/snapshot/Auto_weekly-2015-08-09-0000: 512

Googling the error message, I found this message thread from earlier this year:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/3030

Quote:


Bronek commented on Apr 18

@Ringdingcoder thanks for the hint, I applied c143c2333c4..3ccb354d641 on top of vanilla 3.18.11 and it works again. It's only a workaround (unless upstream does the same - doubtful) but it works.
@behlendorf behlendorf referenced this issue from a commit in behlendorf/zfs on Apr 24
@behlendorf Linux 3.18 compat: Snapshot automounting … 691db53
@behlendorf behlendorf referenced this issue on Apr 24
Linux 3.18 compat: Snapshot automounting #3344


I'm wondering if this fix is planned on being added to the sys-fs/zfs ebuild anytime soon?

I hesitate emerging the **9999 version of zfs, preferring something that's not dependent on github being up to emerge (or is there a way around this? - that'd also work for me)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6111
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eohrnberger,

you could add the patch to your local overlay (https://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/commit/691db53835aff52a4a9a540259d92e8f4fb787dc.diff ) [simply adding .diff to the pull-request on github]

and then modify the ebuild to add that patch


or: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches#Adding_user_patches



Alternatively you could go through the steps in the ebuild manually ( sys-fs/zfs, sys-fs/zfs-kmod) and for those two ebuilds patch the files manually under /var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/...
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eohrnberger
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
eohrnberger,

you could add the patch to your local overlay (https://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/commit/691db53835aff52a4a9a540259d92e8f4fb787dc.diff ) [simply adding .diff to the pull-request on github]

and then modify the ebuild to add that patch


or: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches#Adding_user_patches



Alternatively you could go through the steps in the ebuild manually ( sys-fs/zfs, sys-fs/zfs-kmod) and for those two ebuilds patch the files manually under /var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/...


Are there any online references you can point me to to help me do either of these things?

I like the idea of putting my tweaks into my local overlay, putting a version number on it like 0.6.4.1 (where it's a derivative of 0.6.4), and should another release come out, it'll merge right in. If it solves it, all done, if it doesn't, I'd just have to bump the version number of my ebuild to again + .1.

I have gathered up / cobbled together a cron script that performs a grandfather / father / son snapshot rotation on an hourly, weekly and monthly basis, cleaning previous version up as it goes along (no sense exhausting disk space on busy storage pool data sets).

Is there a place to contribute that here at Gentoo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6111
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eohrnberger wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
eohrnberger,

you could add the patch to your local overlay (https://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/commit/691db53835aff52a4a9a540259d92e8f4fb787dc.diff ) [simply adding .diff to the pull-request on github]

and then modify the ebuild to add that patch


or: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches#Adding_user_patches



Alternatively you could go through the steps in the ebuild manually ( sys-fs/zfs, sys-fs/zfs-kmod) and for those two ebuilds patch the files manually under /var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/...


Are there any online references you can point me to to help me do either of these things?


There doesn't seem to be much for it


http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild#Adding_a_Patch



eohrnberger wrote:


I like the idea of putting my tweaks into my local overlay, putting a version number on it like 0.6.4.1 (where it's a derivative of 0.6.4), and should another release come out, it'll merge right in. If it solves it, all done, if it doesn't, I'd just have to bump the version number of my ebuild to again + .1.

I have gathered up / cobbled together a cron script that performs a grandfather / father / son snapshot rotation on an hourly, weekly and monthly basis, cleaning previous version up as it goes along (no sense exhausting disk space on busy storage pool data sets).

Is there a place to contribute that here at Gentoo?


you could register for the gentoo wiki ( https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page ) and add an entry for that


I haven't done a modified ebuild approach yet since I'm working directly with bleeding edge upstream and added patches on github

but ryao posted a few notes on running a local git repository / clone:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7741164.html#7741164


Regarding the manual patching:

The ebuild contains the following sections:

pkg_setup, src_prepare, src_configure, src_install


So you would do t he following steps


Code:
ebuild zfs-kmod-9999-r1.ebuild unpack


navigate to /var/tmp/portage and the including folder for the ebuild

in this example it would be:

Code:
cd /var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/zfs-kmod-9999-r1/work/zfs-kmod-9999/



apply the patch manually, take care that the permissions of all files are still portage:portage
(otherwise emerge will fail)


then continue with the following steps:


Code:
ebuild zfs-kmod-9999-r1.ebuild prepare configure compile install qmerge

_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum