Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Urgent! Gentoo installation is gone.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Urgent! Gentoo installation is gone. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've got a very strange problem. I originally had my Gentoo installation working and was happy with it. I then had to upgrade my Windows partition to SP1 and it was necessary to make Windows volume active. I set Windows volume on "C:" drive as "active" (make this volume active option in control panel) and next thing I know the partition where my Gentoo was installed is now showing as "Unallocated Space"! I can't believe my entire Gentoo installation is just gone. I didn't delete or format or anything how could I lose my Gentoo partition? Is there a way to recover it? All my work files are on it, I've got backups but that's not the same, I need my Gentoo back. Please help!

Thanks,
Victor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43223
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorsk,

Windows will not understand a Linux filesystem, so it shows it as unallocated space.
Gentoo will still be there
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
victorsk,

Windows will not understand a Linux filesystem, so it shows it as unallocated space.
Gentoo will still be there


Hi,

Sounds good but I have triple-boot and when I boot to my Calculate Linux install and run gparted or simply browse in Dolphin I don't see Gentoo partitions there. In gparted it shows as "unallocated space". I have no idea how this could happen.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v_andal
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 523
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorsk wrote:


Sounds good but I have triple-boot and when I boot to my Calculate Linux install and run gparted or simply browse in Dolphin I don't see Gentoo partitions there. In gparted it shows as "unallocated space". I have no idea how this could happen.



Most likely, you've accidentally deleted your Gentoo partition while activating Windows partition. Of course, Windows is known for overwriting boot partition, but normally, it never deletes existing partitions. So, I would understand your loosing ability to boot into Gentoo, but loosing the partition is completely different story, especially when your Calculate Linux partition is still available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v_andal wrote:
victorsk wrote:


Sounds good but I have triple-boot and when I boot to my Calculate Linux install and run gparted or simply browse in Dolphin I don't see Gentoo partitions there. In gparted it shows as "unallocated space". I have no idea how this could happen.



Most likely, you've accidentally deleted your Gentoo partition while activating Windows partition. Of course, Windows is known for overwriting boot partition, but normally, it never deletes existing partitions. So, I would understand your loosing ability to boot into Gentoo, but loosing the partition is completely different story, especially when your Calculate Linux partition is still available.


Thank you for the feedback. I was extra careful to make sure I don't delete that partition because it contained my work files so I made sure I only selected "set volume active" option. However there was a warning message that this selection can make my computer stop working but that could mean anything so I went ahead with it. I have no idea why that partition got wiped out because of it. I tried testdisk utility but it didn't go too well for me so I ended up re-installing everything from scratch :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Irre
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Nov 2013
Posts: 340
Location: Stockholm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent! Gentoo installation is gone. Reply with quote

victorsk wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've got a very strange problem. I originally had my Gentoo installation working and was happy with it. I then had to upgrade my Windows partition to SP1 and it was necessary to make Windows volume active. I set Windows volume on "C:" drive as "active" (make this volume active option in control panel) and next thing I know the partition where my Gentoo was installed is now showing as "Unallocated Space"! I can't believe my entire Gentoo installation is just gone. I didn't delete or format or anything how could I lose my Gentoo partition? Is there a way to recover it? All my work files are on it, I've got backups but that's not the same, I need my Gentoo back. Please help!

Thanks,
Victor.

Exactly that happened to me too. It was a chock. But only the partition table was really destroyed. I had a backup of the listing of the partitions. Via an usb-linux I managed to run fdisk and type in all partions by hand, it took some hours. But nothing was destroyed. :?

Sometimes you have to make the windows partion active on order to update. If you do that from linux and not from windows it will work, I hope.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43223
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorsk,

It looks like your partition table is damaged. Thats harmless to the data in the partitions as the partition table only points to your data. Your data will still be in the unallocated space.

testdisk can identify possible partitions but it is known for false positives. Its a useful start but do not allow it to rewrite the partition table.
For logical partitions on an MSDOS partitioned HDD it must be correct first time. For GPT, getting it wrong won't harm your data.

Its best to mount your partitions without the use of the partition table to ensure testdisk has got it right.
To be sure you understand the process and the arithmetic, you can pactice the method on an existing partition.

The commnd you need is
Code:
mount -o ro,offset=<bytes> /dev/sda /mnt/someplace

ro means read only. You don't want to accidenly mount something incorrect as read/write. This lets you look around
offset= is the number of bytes from the start of the drive to the partition you think you have found.
Its /dev/sda or whatever the drive is (no partition number) as you don't have a partition table entry.

Homework read about offset and ro in
Code:
man mount


If you post the output of
Code:
fdisk -l
we will show you how to calculate offset values from your partition table entries, so you can practice and testdisk output, so you can do it for real.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum