Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
qu1j0t3
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Oct 2005
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, I misunderstood. Will do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qu1j0t3
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Oct 2005
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt these two packages with the USE flag change:

Code:

gnome-base/gnome-shell -deprecated-background
x11-wm/mutter -deprecated-background


Had no effect on the lag behaviour.

(Update) I went back to check on X CPU. I noticed that the X CPU is at 28% only when there is a Terminal window open. And indeed increases to 67% when a 2nd Terminal window is opened. This seems to resemble some of the cairo-ish bugs I saw when googling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qu1j0t3 wrote:
I went back to check on X CPU. I noticed that the X CPU is at 28% only when there is a Terminal window open. And indeed increases to 67% when a 2nd Terminal window is opened. This seems to resemble some of the cairo-ish bugs I saw when googling.

If that's the case then you can try:

Code:
x11-terms/gnome-terminal -deprecated-transparency

and kill /usr/libexec/gnome-terminal-server before retesting.

If that doesn't do anything, then at least you know it's not my patchset.
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qu1j0t3
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Oct 2005
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lag issue is fixed. I am not sure exactly what fixed it, but I did rebuild my kernel from make clean, did a modules_prepare and rebuild ati-drivers (I am using the fglrx driver). I also rechecked the kernel config that's implied by the Xorg/Guide.

I didn't find anyone through google who had the same problem, so that's a vast relief. I can actually use the machine now. (The crazy Terminal CPU issue is still there. In fact it's worse; now 50% with one Terminal open.)

Thanks again for creating and maintaining the overlay!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlphaXeos
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: dentrell-gnome profile issues Reply with quote

Hey, i followed all the steps in the guide to installing GNOME withoit systemd up to the profile section. When i use eselect profile list it doesnt show the dentrell-gnome profiles. One thing ive noticed is a warning that says repository 'dentrell-gnome' is missing masters attribute in '/usr/local/portage...

Any help would be appreciated
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 21688
Location: here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: dentrell-gnome profile issues Reply with quote

AlphaXeos wrote:
Any help would be appreciated

You have use 'Option 2: Direct Installation'?
If yes you have create gentoo.conf, dantrell-gnome.conf and dantrell-gnome-3-xx.conf (how xx is 14,16,18,20)?
Have you run emaint command?
Code:
# emaint sync -a

_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: dentrell-gnome profile issues Reply with quote

AlphaXeos wrote:
Hey, i followed all the steps in the guide to installing GNOME withoit systemd up to the profile section.

Again, just for the record, the support thread is here.

AlphaXeos wrote:
When i use eselect profile list it doesnt show the dentrell-gnome profiles.

That said, if you followed the instructions on the GNOME Without System GitHub page (not the Wiki), follow them again. Specifically, this section as nothing else will work without it:

1. Make sure you have layman with git support.

2. Make sure you edit /etc/layman/layman.cfg appropriately.

3. Make sure you fetch the remote list of overlays.

4. Make sure you add (and confirm) the relevant overlays. It will look like this:

Code:
 * Adding overlay...
 * Overlay "dantrell-gnome*" is not official. Continue installing? [y/n]: y

This will auto-populate /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf and /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome* accordingly. If you configured anything referencing /usr/local/portage, it's not configured correctly.

If you followed the alternative instructions on the Wiki page (i.e. "Option #2"), you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in as I only provide support for the layman method. What fedeliallalinea said should point you in the right direction.
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desultory
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 9220

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the three preceding posts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlphaXeos
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: dentrell-gnome profile issues Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
AlphaXeos wrote:
Any help would be appreciated

You have use 'Option 2: Direct Installation'?
If yes you have create gentoo.conf, dantrell-gnome.conf and dantrell-gnome-3-xx.conf (how xx is 14,16,18,20)?
Have you run emaint command?
Code:
# emaint sync -a


It asks me for a username and password for github. After entering mine it says repository not found
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlphaXeos
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: dentrell-gnome profile issues Reply with quote

AlphaXeos wrote:
fedeliallalinea wrote:
AlphaXeos wrote:
Any help would be appreciated

You have use 'Option 2: Direct Installation'?
If yes you have create gentoo.conf, dantrell-gnome.conf and dantrell-gnome-3-xx.conf (how xx is 14,16,18,20)?
Have you run emaint command?
Code:
# emaint sync -a


It asks me for a username and password for github. After entering mine it says repository not found


When I do layman --sync-all it gives me an error saying repository 'dantrell-gnome' is missing masters attribute in '/usr/local/portage/dantrell-gnome/metadata/layout.conf'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 21688
Location: here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: dentrell-gnome profile issues Reply with quote

AlphaXeos wrote:
When I do layman --sync-all it gives me an error saying repository 'dantrell-gnome' is missing masters attribute in '/usr/local/portage/dantrell-gnome/metadata/layout.conf'

dantrell wrote:
This will auto-populate /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf and /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome* accordingly. If you configured anything referencing /usr/local/portage, it's not configured correctly.

Try to revert your modification and follow dantrell (overlay creator) suggestion
dantrell wrote:
AlphaXeos wrote:
Hey, i followed all the steps in the guide to installing GNOME withoit systemd up to the profile section.

Again, just for the record, the support thread is here.

AlphaXeos wrote:
When i use eselect profile list it doesnt show the dentrell-gnome profiles.

That said, if you followed the instructions on the GNOME Without System GitHub page (not the Wiki), follow them again. Specifically, this section as nothing else will work without it:

1. Make sure you have layman with git support.

2. Make sure you edit /etc/layman/layman.cfg appropriately.

3. Make sure you fetch the remote list of overlays.

4. Make sure you add (and confirm) the relevant overlays. It will look like this:

Code:
 * Adding overlay...
 * Overlay "dantrell-gnome*" is not official. Continue installing? [y/n]: y

This will auto-populate /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf and /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome* accordingly. If you configured anything referencing /usr/local/portage, it's not configured correctly.

_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sakaki
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 21 May 2014
Posts: 283

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AlphaXeos,

you need to use either the layman or direct method for the overlays, not both at the same time. If using layman therefore, be sure to delete any dantrell-gnome files in the /etc/portage/repos.conf/ directory, otherwise you may get /usr/local/portage/... conflicts.
_________________
Regards,

sakaki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlphaXeos
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:
Hi AlphaXeos,

you need to use either the layman or direct method for the overlays, not both at the same time. If using layman therefore, be sure to delete any dantrell-gnome files in the /etc/portage/repos.conf/ directory, otherwise you may get /usr/local/portage/... conflicts.


I removed all of the dantrell files in the /etc/portage/repository.conf directory and I followed all of the layman steps and went I do layman --add dantrell-gnome it says adding overlay repository 'dantrell-gnome was already installed

CLI: Errors occurred processing action add
Repository 'dantrell-gnome' was already installed

Then I did layman --sync-all and everything went fine but when I do eselect profile list everything from 1-22 but the dantrell-gnome profiles show up.

Could it have something to do with the fact that I already have the default amd64 gnome profile selected?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlphaXeos wrote:
Could it have something to do with the fact that I already have the default amd64 gnome profile selected?

Your profile selection is irrelevant. Even if the directories existed, if adding through layman failed, it probably didn't auto-populate /etc/portage/repos.conf/* and thus the profiles wouldn't be picked up.

Share the output of:

Code:
more /etc/portage/repos.conf/* | cat

and:

Code:
layman -l

Odds are that you need to delete everything related to the project overlays and start over from scratch with one method. This means removing /usr/local/portage/dantrell* (unless you intend to use this method and you are sure it's setup correctly) manually, removing /var/lib/layman/dantrell* through layman -d dantrell* and making sure there are no references to either inside the files of /etc/portage/repos.conf/*.
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlphaXeos
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Aug 2016
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/4uApnkV

I can't post any screen caps being that I'm in terminal.

I attached an imgur link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlphaXeos wrote:
I attached an imgur link

This looks like you successfuly added the overlays through layman at one point then deleted the /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf file at another point. It's also possible that layman was not configured to use repos.conf in the first place (which can happen with previously existing installations of layman). Cross check your configuration against the relevant section of the Layman Wiki page).

If layman is configured correctly, then depending on which version you have you can either run "layman-updater -R" or simply delete all of the overlays through layman then readd them so it automatically recreates the file.

If you want to save time you can manually create the file yourself (but you should reconfigure layman at a later date, if needed):

/etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf:
[dantrell-gnome]
priority = 150
location = /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome
layman-type = git
auto-sync = No

[dantrell-gnome-3-14]
priority = 100
location = /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-14
layman-type = git
auto-sync = No

[dantrell-gnome-3-16]
priority = 100
location = /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-16
layman-type = git
auto-sync = No

[dantrell-gnome-3-18]
priority = 100
location = /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-18
layman-type = git
auto-sync = No

[dantrell-gnome-3-20]
priority = 100
location = /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-20
layman-type = git
auto-sync = No

_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to the party, but just tried to upgrade to 3.20 from 3.18. Just set my profile and did a
Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world

After doing so I get a slot conflict because of webkit-gtk from the dantrell-gnome overlay requiring a different version of gtk+. Not really sure why this is happening, anyone have a clue?

Code:
!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-libs/gtk+:3

  (x11-libs/gtk+-3.20.8:3/20::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.20.3:3[X,wayland?] required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.20.1-r1:2/2::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.12:3 required by (net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.20.3:0/1::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                   
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.8:3[X,introspection?] required by (x11-wm/mutter-3.20.3:0/0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                   
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.5:3 required by (gnome-base/dconf-editor-3.20.3:0/0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                           
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.6:3[introspection?] required by (x11-libs/gtksourceview-3.20.4:3.0/3::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                             
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.4:3[X=,introspection?,wayland=] required by (media-libs/clutter-gtk-1.8.0:1.0/1.0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.4:3[introspection?] required by (media-video/totem-3.20.1:0/0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                     
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.12:3[introspection?] required by (gnome-base/nautilus-3.20.2:0/0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                       
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.19.1:3 required by (gnome-extra/gnome-calendar-3.20.2:0/0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                               
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.20.0:3[cups?] required by (gnome-base/gnome-core-libs-3.20.0:3.0/3.0::dantrell-gnome-3-20, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                         

  (x11-libs/gtk+-3.18.9:3/18::dantrell-gnome-3-18, installed) pulled in by
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.14:3/18=[introspection] required by (net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.12.3-r2:4/37::dantrell-gnome, installed)


@AlphaXeos I don't use layman, it's not really necessary anymore since portage has native git support. See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf and https://github.com/simonvanderveldt/gentoo-config/tree/master/portage/etc/portage/repos.conf for some examples.


Last edited by simonvanderveldt on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, also, still on 3.18 I get this error for libwnck, which seems to be new/added 6 days ago https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome-3-18/commit/38e77d292a67771acea765a08f4564bbe35e61a1
There's no configure script in the extracted directory. I don't now if that should exist or not?

Also note the error about gtk-doc. Guess it should be added to the deps?

Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 6) x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1::dantrell-gnome-3-18
 * libwnck-3.18.1.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking libwnck-3.18.1.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work/libwnck-3.18.1/libwnck ...
/usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
***Warning*** PKG_NAME is deprecated, you may remove it from autogen.sh
checking for automake >= 1.9...
  testing automake... found 1.15
checking for autoreconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoreconf... found 2.69
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... found 2.46.2
checking for intltool >= 0.25...
  testing intltoolize... found 0.51.0
checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
  testing pkg-config... found 0.28
checking for gtk-doc >= 1.0...
  testing gtkdocize... not found.
***Error***: You must have gtk-doc >= 1.0 installed
  to build libwnck.  Download the appropriate package for
  from your distribution or get the source tarball at
    http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gtk-doc/

 * Disabling deprecation warnings ...                                                             [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work/libwnck-3.18.1/libwnck ...
grep: ./configure: No such file or directory
grep: ./configure: No such file or directory
grep: ./configure: No such file or directory
grep: ./configure: No such file or directory
grep: ./configure: No such file or directory
grep: ./configure: No such file or directory
 * ERROR: x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1::dantrell-gnome-3-18 failed (configure phase):
 *   no configure script found
 *
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line  133:  Called src_configure
 *        environment, line 3385:  Called gnome2_src_configure '--disable-static' '--enable-introspection' '--disable-startup-notification' '--disable-tools' '--program-suffix=-3'
 *        environment, line 2430:  Called econf '--disable-static' '--enable-introspection' '--disable-startup-notification' '--disable-tools' '--program-suffix=-3'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  668:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         die "no configure script found"
 *
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1::dantrell-gnome-3-18'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1::dantrell-gnome-3-18'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work/libwnck-3.18.1'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work/libwnck-3.18.1/libwnck'


ls from the working directory
Code:
ls -ahl /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libwnck-3.18.1/work/libwnck-3.18.1/libwnck
total 959K
drwxr-xr-x 2 portage portage   45 Aug 20 17:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 portage portage   22 Aug 20 17:08 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  21K Jun 21 15:42 application.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 3.5K Jun 21 15:42 application.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  17K Jun 21 15:42 class-group.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 3.1K Jun 21 15:42 class-group.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  345 Jun 21 15:42 default_icon.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 1.3K Jun 21 15:42 libwnck.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 5.3K Aug 20 17:08 Makefile.am
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  14K Jun 21 15:42 pager-accessible.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.1K Jun 21 15:42 pager-accessible-factory.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.2K Jun 21 15:42 pager-accessible-factory.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.1K Jun 21 15:42 pager-accessible.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  87K Jun 21 15:42 pager.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 3.2K Jun 21 15:42 pager.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 6.1K Jun 21 15:42 private.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  75K Jun 21 15:42 screen.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  11K Jun 21 15:42 screen.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  42K Jun 21 15:42 selector.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.3K Jun 21 15:42 selector.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 127K Jun 21 15:42 tasklist.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 5.1K Jun 21 15:42 tasklist.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.7K Jun 21 15:42 test-pager.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.0K Jun 21 15:42 test-selector.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 1.4K Jun 21 15:42 test-shutdown.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 4.9K Jun 21 15:42 test-tasklist.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.2K Jun 21 15:42 test-urgent.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  31K Jun 21 15:42 test-wnck.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  23K Jun 21 15:42 util.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 3.7K Jun 21 15:42 util.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 3.1K Jun 21 15:42 version.h.in
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  36K Jun 21 15:42 window-action-menu.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.5K Jun 21 15:42 window-action-menu.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  96K Jun 21 15:42 window.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  18K Jun 21 15:42 window.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  75K Jun 21 15:42 wnckprop.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 5.3K Jun 21 15:42 wnck-urgency-monitor.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 8.6K Jun 21 15:42 workspace-accessible.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.0K Jun 21 15:42 workspace-accessible-factory.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.3K Jun 21 15:42 workspace-accessible-factory.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 2.2K Jun 21 15:42 workspace-accessible.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  16K Jun 21 15:42 workspace.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 4.0K Jun 21 15:42 workspace.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage  65K Jun 21 15:42 xutils.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 portage portage 9.5K Jun 21 15:42 xutils.h
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I'm a bit late to the party, but just tried to upgrade to 3.20 from 3.18. Just set my profile and did a
Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world

After doing so I get a slot conflict because of webkit-gtk from the dantrell-gnome overlay requiring a different version of gtk+. Not really sure why this is happening, anyone have a clue?

Seems like the logic use to trigger rebuilds of subslot dependencies could use some improvement (unless it's working as designed). I tweaked the implementation on my end as these packages are supposed to be rebuilt on GTK+ upgrades.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Hmm, also, still on 3.18 I get this error for libwnck, which seems to be new/added 6 days ago https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome-3-18/commit/38e77d292a67771acea765a08f4564bbe35e61a1
There's no configure script in the extracted directory. I don't now if that should exist or not?

Also note the error about gtk-doc. Guess it should be added to the deps?

This is all due to the missing GTK-Doc dependency.

Sync up and you should be good to go for both 3.18 and 3.20.
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
This is all due to the missing GTK-Doc dependency.

Sync up and you should be good to go for both 3.18 and 3.20.


Thanks for the quick fix! This did indeed fix the issue for 3.18. Haven't tried 3.20 yet.

Do you know if there are any docs or any other kind of info available so that one can learn how to troubleshoot/find the cause of these issues? I'd like to try to get a better understanding of them.

Also I ran into another dependency conflict, this time from app-emulation/spice. Seems like the stable package from gentoo explicitly needs spice-protocol-0.12.11 so the newer spice-protocol-0.12.12 added as stable in this commit (with a relevant commit message ;)) won't work.

Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world 

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

app-emulation/spice-protocol:0

  (app-emulation/spice-protocol-0.12.12:0/0::dantrell-gnome, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    ~app-emulation/spice-protocol-0.12.11 required by (app-emulation/spice-0.12.7-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^                             ^^^^^^^


Nothing to merge; quitting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Do you know if there are any docs or any other kind of info available so that one can learn how to troubleshoot/find the cause of these issues? I'd like to try to get a better understanding of them.

In the beginning it was mostly trial and error (so much trail and error) as the emerge output isn't always helpful. At this point it's mostly intuition from experience.

I make heavy use of the Development Guide (which "contains gaps, inaccuracies, omissions, typos and the occasional outright lie") but that mainly gives you technical content, it doesn't help with its application. At times I even have to dig into source code or upstream sources. It's easier if you have a background in development, otherwise you will acquire one in the process. I wouldn't even know where to start writing an introductory guide. I would say it's a knack you pick up through significant use of Gentoo.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Also I ran into another dependency conflict, this time from app-emulation/spice.

You saw nothing. :lol:

But that's what I get for not testing stable.
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Do you know if there are any docs or any other kind of info available so that one can learn how to troubleshoot/find the cause of these issues? I'd like to try to get a better understanding of them.

In the beginning it was mostly trial and error (so much trail and error) as the emerge output isn't always helpful. At this point it's mostly intuition from experience.

I make heavy use of the Development Guide (which "contains gaps, inaccuracies, omissions, typos and the occasional outright lie") but that mainly gives you technical content, it doesn't help with its application. At times I even have to dig into source code or upstream sources. It's easier if you have a background in development, otherwise you will acquire one in the process. I wouldn't even know where to start writing an introductory guide. I would say it's a knack you pick up through significant use of Gentoo.


Thanks for the informative answer, I kind of expected it to be a "learn by doing/trial/reading code" kind of thing, though I'm pretty used to doing that, so I'll be fine.
The thing that triggered me was this line
Code:
>=x11-libs/gtk+-3.14:3=[introspection?]

I couldn't find any info on what the last equal sign was supposed to mean. I'll start with the dev manual and go from there.

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Also I ran into another dependency conflict, this time from app-emulation/spice.

You saw nothing. :lol:

But that's what I get for not testing stable.

;)
Seems like you fixed this by "vendoring" spice-0.13.2 into you repo, right?
Is there no way to accept-keyword a package from gentoo's repo from an overlay/profile? spice-0.13.2 is in gentoo's repo as well, but it's still marked as testing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dantrell
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Code:
>=x11-libs/gtk+-3.14:3=[introspection?]

I couldn't find any info on what the last equal sign was supposed to mean. I'll start with the dev manual and go from there.

It's a Slot Operator used to trigger rebuilds. Remember the old Perl upgrade procedure? That's one of the reasons the feature was introduced.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Seems like you fixed this by "vendoring" spice-0.13.2 into you repo, right?

For the record, I believe the correct term is "forking".

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Is there no way to accept-keyword a package from gentoo's repo from an overlay/profile? spice-0.13.2 is in gentoo's repo as well, but it's still marked as testing.

Sure there is, in fact, there were multiple ways to resolve this issue other than what I did.

The problem is I can't always count on a Gentoo keeping particular versions of an ebuild in the tree (if at all) or to stabilize things in a timely manner (not to mention, I use "stable" and "~" differently than Gentoo).

In addition, the secondary purpose of the project is to allow switching between GNOME release versions. As such, it is more beneficial to freeze the state of GNOME (by forking as needed) than to not. Whatever doesn't impact GNOME and is updated and stabilized in a timely manner, remains unforked.
_________________
Dantrell B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
It's a Slot Operator used to trigger rebuilds. Remember the old Perl upgrade procedure? That's one of the reasons the feature was introduced.

Nice, thanks for the links.

dantrell wrote:
Sure there is, in fact, there were multiple ways to resolve this issue other than what I did.

The problem is I can't always count on a Gentoo keeping particular versions of an ebuild in the tree (if at all) or to stabilize things in a timely manner (not to mention, I use "stable" and "~" differently than Gentoo).

In addition, the secondary purpose of the project is to allow switching between GNOME release versions. As such, it is more beneficial to freeze the state of GNOME (by forking as needed) than to not. Whatever doesn't impact GNOME and is updated and stabilized in a timely manner, remains unforked.

That makes sense, especially about freezing all ebuilds that are needed, I understand that one can't rely on the gentoo repo for those. Thanks for the clarification.

I've updated to 3.20 yesterday, ran into a slight issue where emerge couldn't download gentoo+gtk-update-icon-cache-3.20.8.tar.xz but that resolved itself the 2nd emerge, not really sure what was different, the file still doesn't exist on the URL it 404ed at the first time.
Apart from that everything went smooth and is running perfectly fine. I'm a happy camper again/still :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
At4ri
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Mar 2016
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Gnome openrc Reply with quote

I followed the wiki gnome running under openrc and not on the shit systemd , and achieve these results .



https://s13.postimg.io/t5uwq8hbr/Captura_de_pantalla_de_2016_09_10_14_31_03.png


https://s21.postimg.io/qcjttu3zp/Captura_de_pantalla_de_2016_09_10_15_11_02.png



the wiki has two options I could with the first and the second was perfect,
only nm -applet package that I could not install it from the repo Dantrell and if from gentoo .
_________________
Grupo telegram gentoo y otras hierbas
https://telegram.me/joinchat/C3V8xD5C1VzvaYH4CJULyw

OS: Gentoo ~amd64 & windows 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 4 of 29

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum