Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Fonts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Fonts Reply with quote

I am a bit ashamed of asking this but... even though its been almost 10 years I use Gentoo, I've never figured out how to display properly Japanese, Chinese and other characters in my computer.
I don't need to write in any of those languages, but I'd like to be able to SEE the characters instead of squares, since I have Chinese and Japanese friends in social network websites. Also, in Steam, many people use weird characters for their names, and I just can't see them, they appear all as squares.

I am, of course, using UTF-8. What else should I do? ><
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)


Last edited by Holysword on Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apheus
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 419

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTF-8 is the right encoding, but you also need fonts which provide glyphs for the codepoints. "media-fonts/noto" is said to cover most of the cjk languages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
UTF-8 is the right encoding, but you also need fonts which provide glyphs for the codepoints. "media-fonts/noto" is said to cover most of the cjk languages.

There isn't any meta-package for "pretty much all the codepoints"? Because many people use weird characters from God-only-knows-which-alphabet.
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kikko
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 260
Location: Milan, IT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Holysword,
I've installed "media-fonts/noto", I can say almost every character is supported
Tested with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes, missing only "Tibetan" and "Dzongkha" characters (which I personally wasn't aware of their existance :roll: )

Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikko wrote:
Hi Holysword,
I've installed "media-fonts/noto", I can say almost every character is supported
Tested with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes, missing only "Tibetan" and "Dzongkha" characters (which I personally wasn't aware of their existance :roll: )

Regards

Okay, I installed that and now I can see the characters in Firefox, but not in Steam or Chromium.
Do I have to enable all the LINGUAS use flags for Chromium? And as for Steam, is there any trick?
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kikko
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 260
Location: Milan, IT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird... My chromium doesn't have this issue, and I've installed noto fonts after building it :S

Here are its flags, but it's nothing special:
Code:
www-client/chromium-46.0.2490.13::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="cups (pic) proprietary-codecs pulseaudio tcmalloc -custom-cflags -gnome -gnome-keyring -hidpi -hotwording -kerberos (-neon) (-selinux) -test" ABI_X86="64" LINGUAS="it -am -ar -bg -bn -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es -es_LA -et -fa -fi -fil -fr -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -ja -kn -ko -lt -lv -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -sw -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikko wrote:
That's weird... My chromium doesn't have this issue, and I've installed noto fonts after building it :S

Here are its flags, but it's nothing special:
Code:
www-client/chromium-46.0.2490.13::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="cups (pic) proprietary-codecs pulseaudio tcmalloc -custom-cflags -gnome -gnome-keyring -hidpi -hotwording -kerberos (-neon) (-selinux) -test" ABI_X86="64" LINGUAS="it -am -ar -bg -bn -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es -es_LA -et -fa -fi -fil -fr -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -ja -kn -ko -lt -lv -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -sw -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW"

Funny, simply installing it didn't work a priori, and rebooting didn't help. I gave it up and then out of the blue it decided to work by itself.
Oh well... Thanks everybody!
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum