Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
installing on Gentoo, how to set hibernate place in kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pd1986
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 381
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: installing on Gentoo, how to set hibernate place in kernel? Reply with quote

Hi, I am trying to install Gentoo in my mobile hard disk on the laptop of corporate. As the hard disk of this laptop is encrypted and the system is monitored and controlled, I want to use gentoo when I am not at work.

I am in the steps of compiling the kernel. As you see that gentoo is installing on the mobile hard disk. how could I set the hibernate device?

another question is, it is not possible to set -match=native in make.conf while emerge tools on the mobile hard disk? The error show that the gcc doesn't recognize this option or something is invalid for the compiler C. If I remove this option from make.conf. All goes well. Why? Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 2288
Location: near Augsburg, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hibernate, you need a swap partition with the sufficient size (>RAM size, better 1.5xRAM size).
Then you have to add support for hibernate in the kernel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 381
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
To hibernate, you need a swap partition with the sufficient size (>RAM size, better 1.5xRAM size).
Then you have to add support for hibernate in the kernel.


Thanks. Actually, I know what you said. My question is the mobile hard disk number in /dev may be different everytime. I didn't see the possibility to set number N as sdN in /dev to achieve the hibernation. Is there a solution?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: installing on Gentoo, how to set hibernate place in kern Reply with quote

pd1986 wrote:
another question is, it is not possible to set -match=native in make.conf while emerge tools on the mobile hard disk? The error show that the gcc doesn't recognize this option or something is invalid for the compiler C. If I remove this option from make.conf. All goes well. Why?

pd1986 ... if that's exactly what you put in CFLAGS then its due to a typo, it should be '-march=native', not '-match=native'.

pd1986 wrote:
My question is the mobile hard disk number in /dev may be different everytime. I didn't see the possibility to set number N as sdN in /dev to achieve the hibernation. Is there a solution?

You could also use /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid_of_swap> ... or, if you're using TuxOnIce you can adjust /sys/power/tuxonice/resume.

HTH & best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pd1986
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 381
Location: Paris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: installing on Gentoo, how to set hibernate place in kern Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
pd1986 wrote:
another question is, it is not possible to set -match=native in make.conf while emerge tools on the mobile hard disk? The error show that the gcc doesn't recognize this option or something is invalid for the compiler C. If I remove this option from make.conf. All goes well. Why?

pd1986 ... if that's exactly what you put in CFLAGS then its due to a typo, it should be '-march=native', not '-match=native'.

pd1986 wrote:
My question is the mobile hard disk number in /dev may be different everytime. I didn't see the possibility to set number N as sdN in /dev to achieve the hibernation. Is there a solution?

You could also use /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid_of_swap> ... or, if you're using TuxOnIce you can adjust /sys/power/tuxonice/resume.

HTH & best ... khay


Thanks. I got it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum