Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
cannot find root block device in
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
clarencewuq
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: cannot find root block device in Reply with quote

Hi i am new with gentoo .there is a trouble confused me for few days. i have followed the wiki to rebuild a new kernel,but when i reboot the system,it was stuck.
oh forget about it,i try it in the VMware Workstation.
the files in boot like this

Code:
livecd / # ls -lh /boot/
total 11M
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.2M Dec 12 15:25 System.map-4.1.12-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  97K Dec 12 15:25 config-4.1.12-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1.0K Dec 12 15:49 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3M Dec 12 15:29 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
drwx------ 2 root root  12K Dec 12 14:18 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.0M Dec 12 15:25 vmlinuz-4.1.12-gentoo


my /etc/fstab
Code:
livecd / # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda3               /               ext4            noatime         0 1
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,ro       0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto          0 0


mount information
Code:
livecd / # mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl)
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup_root on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
openrc on /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib64/rc/sh/cgroup-release-agent.sh,name=openrc)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=126173,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)


UUID information
Code:
livecd / # blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sr0: UUID="2015-09-24-06-52-41-91" LABEL="Gentoo Linux amd64 20150924" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="34d78ee4" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda1: UUID="c6932fb0-ac72-40bd-96aa-3e7ff5b8449b" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="8b397250-01"
/dev/sda2: UUID="f4b1e73a-c433-4099-ac77-5e9ba433c928" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="8b397250-02"
/dev/sda3: UUID="32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="8b397250-03"

the information in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Code:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Gentoo GNU/Linux' --class gentoo --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb' {
        load_video
        if [ "x$grub_platform" = xefi ]; then
                set gfxpayload=keep
        fi
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos1'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  c6932fb0-ac72-40bd-96aa-3e7ff5b8449b
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c6932fb0-ac72-40bd-96aa-3e7ff5b8449b
        fi
        echo    'Loading Linux 4.1.12-gentoo ...'
        linux   /vmlinuz-4.1.12-gentoo root=UUID=32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb ro 
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        initrd  /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
}

and finally it shows :
Code:
Determing root device ....
!!Could not find the root block device in UUID=32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb
!!please specify anther value or:
!! - press Enter for the same
!! - type "shell " for a shell
!!- type "q" to shkip ..


I hope these information can be helpful.Thinks a lot for taking your time to focus on my problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43194
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarencewuq,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Code:
!!Could not find the root block device in UUID=32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb
means that either 32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb is not your root filesystem or that the kernel cannot see your VMware Workstation emulated HDD at all. The latter is more likely as the kernel would have listed all the block devices it can see in that message, if there were any.

Please show us the output of lspci from inside VMware Workstation so that we can see the hardware that VMware Workstation is offering the Gentoo guest.
Tell us how you made your kernel too, as
Code:
vmlinuz-4.1.12-gentoo
is not the filename that genkernel would have used.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarencewuq
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
clarencewuq,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Code:
!!Could not find the root block device in UUID=32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb
means that either 32167e12-b0ab-45bc-aaec-ad5cf611e3fb is not your root filesystem or that the kernel cannot see your VMware Workstation emulated HDD at all. The latter is more likely as the kernel would have listed all the block devices it can see in that message, if there were any.

Please show us the output of lspci from inside VMware Workstation so that we can see the hardware that VMware Workstation is offering the Gentoo guest.
Tell us how you made your kernel too, as
Code:
vmlinuz-4.1.12-gentoo
is not the filename that genkernel would have used.


Thank you for answering my question.
this what lspci show off

Code:
livecd / # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 01)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 08)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
00:07.7 System peripheral: VMware Virtual Machine Communication Interface (rev 10)
00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware SVGA II Adapter
00:10.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 01)
00:11.0 PCI bridge: VMware PCI bridge (rev 02)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.1 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.2 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.3 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.4 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.5 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.6 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:15.7 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.0 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.1 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.2 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.3 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.4 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.5 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.6 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:16.7 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.0 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.1 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.2 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.3 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.4 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.5 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.6 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:17.7 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.0 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.1 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.2 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.3 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.4 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.5 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.6 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
00:18.7 PCI bridge: VMware PCI Express Root Port (rev 01)
02:00.0 USB controller: VMware USB1.1 UHCI Controller
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 / Creative Labs CT2518 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 02)
02:03.0 USB controller: VMware USB2 EHCI Controller


as for making the kernel , first i
Code:
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

when this finished,there are
Code:
livecd / # ls /usr/src/
linux  linux-4.1.12-gentoo

then i cd into /usr/src/linux
Code:
make menuconfig

i didn't choice anything except ext2/3 support

this is the .config
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LVHkPveSPobTRZRThaNVF6bm8

after this ,i use the commond
Code:
make && make modules_install
make install

it worked well ,no errors come out.
then i used the commond
Code:
emerge --ask sys-kernel/genkernel
genkernel --install initramfs

and it worked too .Finally there are what it seems like now in /boot
here is the genkernel.conf I never ever edit it .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LVHkPveSPoUlhPU2RqMEtUN0E

I hope those can be helped.Thank you again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markisthejob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 Aug 2008
Posts: 142
Location: Cork, Republic of Ireland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using genkernel, boot should contain something like kernel-genkernel-**** When you changed to genkernel did you setup grub to point to the new kernel? what are the contents of /boot?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 7071

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what NeddySeagoon suggest is that you show your lspci with the livecd, because the livecd is handling your disk, the livecd (or installation cd you use) is handling your disk controller in the vmware, allowing you (us) to see and get its name.

once you have its name, you know what kernel module you need to build so your kernel start, load that module, module detect controller, controller detect disks : and kernel now see your disk and is happy.
Code:
lspci -k
05:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 09)
   Subsystem: Adaptec 5405
   Kernel driver in use: aacraid

As you see, if i build a kernel without aacraid, disk attach to it won't be handle and seen. and it should answer to your problem: "my kernel cannot see my disk because i lack the driver for the controller" that is common solve to the problem "kernel cannot determine my root disk" (NeddySeagoon said "that the kernel cannot see your VMware Workstation emulated HDD at all.")

Note that it must be done with a kernel that is handling your controller already, hence why i speak about using livecd kernel instead of your kernel that if lacking it will just not tell you the driver name to use.
Note also that with just lspci people can lookup device id to find the good driver to use, but lspci -k will answer you faster and you don't have to wait someone to do the lookup for you, there's a www from debian that do it but i don't rememberer the link.
Maybe NeddySeagoon was expecting to do the lookup for you, as he is too kind with people here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43194
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarencewuq,

Heres the importanf bits.
Code:
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:10.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 01)


Your kernel has
Code:
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
# CONFIG_FUSION is not set

If your emulated HDD is attached to the IDE controller. It should work.
From memory, VMWare uses the SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic by default, so your kernel is missing the driver you need.

# CONFIG_FUSION is not set is a menu. Say yes <*> to that menu then choose the driver you need as <*> too.
genkernel leaves the FUSION menu off too, so without some help it builds a non working kernel for a VMWare guest.
Now rebuild and reinstall your kernel.

In general, the default kernel settings ale just as they were left by kernel.org. They are usually not useful to users.

krinn,

I try to teach fishing not give out fish here. It may take a little longer but every user who learns the art of problem solving from Gentoo will apply it to life in general too.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarencewuq
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
clarencewuq,

Heres the importanf bits.
Code:
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:10.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 01)


Your kernel has
Code:
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
# CONFIG_FUSION is not set

If your emulated HDD is attached to the IDE controller. It should work.
From memory, VMWare uses the SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic by default, so your kernel is missing the driver you need.

# CONFIG_FUSION is not set is a menu. Say yes <*> to that menu then choose the driver you need as <*> too.
genkernel leaves the FUSION menu off too, so without some help it builds a non working kernel for a VMWare guest.
Now rebuild and reinstall your kernel.

In general, the default kernel settings ale just as they were left by kernel.org. They are usually not useful to users.

krinn,

I try to teach fishing not give out fish here. It may take a little longer but every user who learns the art of problem solving from Gentoo will apply it to life in general too.



Thank you for answering my question .I tried to build the kernel ,adding this option
Code:
Location:                                                                                                                                          | 
  |     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                | 
  |       -> Fusion MPT device support (FUSION [=y])   


and it worked!
Now,I have learned how to fix this kind of question.Thank you for taking your time .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarencewuq
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markisthejob wrote:
If you are using genkernel, boot should contain something like kernel-genkernel-**** When you changed to genkernel did you setup grub to point to the new kernel? what are the contents of /boot?


Thank you for your advice,now i have fixed my problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarencewuq
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
what NeddySeagoon suggest is that you show your lspci with the livecd, because the livecd is handling your disk, the livecd (or installation cd you use) is handling your disk controller in the vmware, allowing you (us) to see and get its name.

once you have its name, you know what kernel module you need to build so your kernel start, load that module, module detect controller, controller detect disks : and kernel now see your disk and is happy.
Code:
lspci -k
05:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (rev 09)
   Subsystem: Adaptec 5405
   Kernel driver in use: aacraid

As you see, if i build a kernel without aacraid, disk attach to it won't be handle and seen. and it should answer to your problem: "my kernel cannot see my disk because i lack the driver for the controller" that is common solve to the problem "kernel cannot determine my root disk" (NeddySeagoon said "that the kernel cannot see your VMware Workstation emulated HDD at all.")

Note that it must be done with a kernel that is handling your controller already, hence why i speak about using livecd kernel instead of your kernel that if lacking it will just not tell you the driver name to use.
Note also that with just lspci people can lookup device id to find the good driver to use, but lspci -k will answer you faster and you don't have to wait someone to do the lookup for you, there's a www from debian that do it but i don't rememberer the link.
Maybe NeddySeagoon was expecting to do the lookup for you, as he is too kind with people here.


Thank you for your help.As you say, Maybe NeddySeagoon is a so nice person.He helped me a lot.Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum