Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ncurses Nightmare [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2002
Posts: 341
Location: ottawa, canada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Ncurses Nightmare [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I've been struggling with this for days. Reading all the posts and trying various solutions. But I'm stuck.

Everything was working fine until I un-installed ncurses. Now most of my system does not work. I can not emerge anything. Iv'e tried everything up to and including emerge -eN world. Every piece of software I try to recompile fails. My terminal says that it is working on reduced functioning. What information do you require for so that you maybe about to help me. I really, really don't want to re-install this server.



Msg. from ncurses install attempt was:

ERROR sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r5::gentoo failed
Call Stack:
ebuild.sh, line 133: Called src_configure
environment, line 2751 multilib-minimal_src_configure

followed by a whole bunch more multilib stuff....

Presently I'm using a live Gentoo CD and chrooted into the server to see if that would help. I tried recompiling gcc. Tried to change to a standard AMD64 profile. I disabled all USE FLAGS.

I'm hoping that if I can at least get ncurses to install I'll get back a lot of what is not functioning ex. vim and I can begin to work on what other issues there maybe.
So I'm stuck.

=====
DWW


Last edited by DancesWithWords on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancesWithWords ...

now that tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org has gone, I don't know of a binhost to point you to, but you need to get a binpkg for ncurses and unpack it in to /, then chroot and rebuild ncurses. I suspect the issue is that without libncurses.so.5 bash is effectively broken ... so you would need to do this from a boot cd, and unpack the binpkg into the chroot, ie:

Code:
# tar -jxvpf ncurses-5.9-r5.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo

... note there are two slots for ncurses, so 5.9-r5 (slot 0) and 5.9-r99 (slot 5), you'd need both, given that they were both probably selected via '-C,--deplcean'.

HTH & best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2002
Posts: 341
Location: ottawa, canada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
DancesWithWords ...

now that tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org has gone, I don't know of a binhost to point you to, but you need to get a binpkg for ncurses and unpack it in to /, then chroot and rebuild ncurses. I suspect the issue is that without libncurses.so.5 bash is effectively broken ... so you would need to do this from a boot cd, and unpack the binpkg into the chroot, ie:

Code:
# tar -jxvpf ncurses-5.9-r5.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo

... note there are two slots for ncurses, so 5.9-r5 (slot 0) and 5.9-r99 (slot 5), you'd need both, given that they were both probably selected via '-C,--deplcean'.

HTH & best ... khay


Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try and report back the results.

=====
DWW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2002
Posts: 341
Location: ottawa, canada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
DancesWithWords ...

now that tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org has gone, I don't know of a binhost to point you to, but you need to get a binpkg for ncurses and unpack it in to /, then chroot and rebuild ncurses. I suspect the issue is that without libncurses.so.5 bash is effectively broken ... so you would need to do this from a boot cd, and unpack the binpkg into the chroot, ie:

Code:
# tar -jxvpf ncurses-5.9-r5.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo

... note there are two slots for ncurses, so 5.9-r5 (slot 0) and 5.9-r99 (slot 5), you'd need both, given that they were both probably selected via '-C,--deplcean'.

HTH & best ... khay


Well this has proven to be a bit more difficult than I thought. I'm unable to find a binhost with those two files.

On the other hand my desktop is an AMD64 gentoo box and the server is an AMD64. Both are current and up to date. Is there some way I can my desktop to create these two binpkg's?


=====
DWW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DancesWithWords wrote:
Well this has proven to be a bit more difficult than I thought. I'm unable to find a binhost with those two files. On the other hand my desktop is an AMD64 gentoo box and the server is an AMD64. Both are current and up to date. Is there some way I can my desktop to create these two binpkg's?

DWW ... yes, you could use 'quickpkg =sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r5' on the working machine and then transfer the resulting package in PORTDIR/packages/ to the broken machine. However, the -r5 and -r99 packages here will work for amd64, and here for ~amd64 (so whatever ACCEPT_KEYWORDS you have set ... you didn't mention).

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acceptable source for binpkgs, shown to me by a Gentoo developer: http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Jun 2002
Posts: 341
Location: ottawa, canada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
Acceptable source for binpkgs, shown to me by a Gentoo developer: http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages/


Due to your help I now have a functioning server again. I don't know how much I can thank you for everyones help. I really did not want to have to rebuild this server from scratch. MUCH THANKS.

=====
DWW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum