Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do I need boot partition on UEFI & Luks?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WodkaBylaZaSlona
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Do I need boot partition on UEFI & Luks? Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on LUKS partition (simple layout - single root partition, without underlying LVM).

Right now it works, but I doubt if I done it properly. I've got such a partitions:
First of all SSD - sda
/dev/sda1 - /boot/efi
/dev/sda2 - /boot
/dev/sda3 - LUKS (/dev/mapper/root mounted as /)
/dev/sda4 - future Windows

There is also HDD - sdb, which will be probably LUKS mounted as /home/user/data.

First of all - do I need /dev/sda2? Is it necessary, to have an unencrypted boot, if I'm booting from UEFI?
Secondly. Is is possible to decrypt /dev/sdb[1-2] with the same passphrase as /dev/sda3 without writing it twice?
And thirdly - does this layout make any sense on a SSD/HDD tandem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need boot partition on UEFI & Luks? Reply with quote

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
First of all - do I need /dev/sda2? Is it necessary, to have an unencrypted boot, if I'm booting from UEFI?

WodkaBylaZaSlona ... in short no, the ESP (EFI System Partition) can be mounted to /boot.

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
Secondly. Is is possible to decrypt /dev/sdb[1-2] with the same passphrase as /dev/sda3 without writing it twice?

You can't encrypt sdb1 (ESP) as the efi executable, initramfs, etc, need to be accessable at boot time.

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
And thirdly - does this layout make any sense on a SSD/HDD tandem?

I'm not familair with this, I assume it's some sort of HW setup, generally if you want fast access (ie, for the OS, etc) then the SSD portion is best used, with less accessed files (ie, user data, video, images, etc) on the HD, but I suspect this sort of HW may not be divisable.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WodkaBylaZaSlona
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need boot partition on UEFI & Luks? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
First of all - do I need /dev/sda2? Is it necessary, to have an unencrypted boot, if I'm booting from UEFI?

WodkaBylaZaSlona ... in short no, the ESP (EFI System Partition) can be mounted to /boot.


Is it a good approach to move kernel & initramfs to vfat EFI partition? Are there any advantages in having a separate boot partition? If not - I will remove it :).

khayyam wrote:

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
Secondly. Is is possible to decrypt /dev/sdb[1-2] with the same passphrase as /dev/sda3 without writing it twice?

You can't encrypt sdb1 (ESP) as the efi executable, initramfs, etc, need to be accessable at boot time.


The way I wrote it was probably a little bit confusing. So I will clarify that.

An sdb device is HDD storage, which partitions will be mounted inside home directory. And boot/efi/root is on sda. I wish to decrypt sdb1/sdb2 with the same passphrase used to decrypt sda3.


khayyam wrote:

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
And thirdly - does this layout make any sense on a SSD/HDD tandem?

I'm not familair with this, I assume it's some sort of HW setup, generally if you want fast access (ie, for the OS, etc) then the SSD portion is best used, with less accessed files (ie, user data, video, images, etc) on the HD, but I suspect this sort of HW may not be divisable.


I've got two hard drives. One - SSD(sda) and second one HDD(sdb). I've asked if it is a good idea to place efi & root & home on SSD, when HDD will be used just to store huge files inside /home
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need boot partition on UEFI & Luks? Reply with quote

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
khayyam wrote:
WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
First of all - do I need /dev/sda2? Is it necessary, to have an unencrypted boot, if I'm booting from UEFI?

[...] in short no, the ESP (EFI System Partition) can be mounted to /boot.

Is it a good approach to move kernel & initramfs to vfat EFI partition? Are there any advantages in having a separate boot partition? If not - I will remove it :).

WodkaBylaZaSlona ... as the ESP is required, and often has free space, it makes sense to use it and/or keep all 'boot' related stuffs on one partition. There are no particular advantages either way, other than perhaps the preference to have a native linux filesystem for /boot.

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
khayyam wrote:
WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
Secondly. Is is possible to decrypt /dev/sdb[1-2] with the same passphrase as /dev/sda3 without writing it twice?

You can't encrypt sdb1 (ESP) as the efi executable, initramfs, etc, need to be accessable at boot time.

The way I wrote it was probably a little bit confusing. So I will clarify that. An sdb device is HDD storage, which partitions will be mounted inside home directory. And boot/efi/root is on sda. I wish to decrypt sdb1/sdb2 with the same passphrase used to decrypt sda3.

Sorry, I'd completely missed there being an sdb, anyhow, yes, that should be possible, but its not something I do, my volumes are lvm within the luks.

WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
khayyam wrote:
WodkaBylaZaSlona wrote:
And thirdly - does this layout make any sense on a SSD/HDD tandem?

I'm not familair with this, I assume it's some sort of HW setup, generally if you want fast access (ie, for the OS, etc) then the SSD portion is best used, with less accessed files (ie, user data, video, images, etc) on the HD, but I suspect this sort of HW may not be divisable.

I've got two hard drives. One - SSD(sda) and second one HDD(sdb). I've asked if it is a good idea to place efi & root & home on SSD, when HDD will be used just to store huge files inside /home

I see ... yes, I don't see any reason not to do it that way, though you might also want to consider /usr/portage as better placed on the HD ... or to use lvm and so have more flexibility wrt how the two are divided.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum