Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SSD filesystem?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Goverp
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 668

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Anyone got current f2fs experience to share? Reply with quote

I've formatted the SD card for one of my Raspberry Pi's (an old model B) for f2fs. Did I do wrong, and should I stick to ext4 (with appropriate tune2fs settings)? I know when it was new f2fs users reported issues, but that's to be expected; has it improved?
_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp ...

no idea, but I'm interested to know. Given that many android devices ship with it it would have to be fairly stable, though my guess would be that it would depend on what kernel you go with, and so upgrading that kernel may be where issues creep in.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goverp
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 668

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some delving on my friend Google shows reports of f2fs looking files in root directory with kernels before 4.8, so I guess the it's still a case of (a) keep backups, and (b) don't use it for something irreplaceable. Thus warned, I'll continue trying it until I get bitten.
_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Irre
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Nov 2013
Posts: 340
Location: Stockholm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several destroyed file systems using f2fs I gave it up. (I had also a crashed f2fs on a google mobile phone!) But other file system was also useless on my Raspberry gen1. Now a use /dev/mmcblk01 only during boot and running file system is on external USB-disk. Since then I had no problems.

I also have non-gentoo Raspberry with (XBIAN/KODI) with BTRFS, no problems so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boristheanimal
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used f2fs over long periods of time but basically its similar in performance to ext4, although if I'd have to pick stability I'd go for ext4.

The main reason behind going for f2fs over other filesystem on a flash based device would be cos of the optimization features and reduced wear and tear due to reduced frequency of writes. But then again if you're using a shitty, low grade sdcard (which I've used often to play around with raspberry pi), then it doesn't matter much in my opinion as they are bound to fail anyway after some time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 3806
Location: Austro Bavaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2fs is much faster on my nexus 4 smartphone. the memory is quite slow

No issues on my smartphone since ages.

I assume you have a backup of your rasperry. I assume the content is not that large, so just make backups and use f2fs.

Quote:
I haven't used f2fs over long periods of time but basically its similar in performance to ext4


I disagree.

IT is highly optimized for slow memory, e.g. phones.

the guy who made this topic wrote he uses sdcards, these are also slow memories
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goverp
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 668

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the feedback. I guess the answer is to tread carefully and see how it goes.
Roman_Gruber wrote:

I assume you have a backup of your rasperry. I assume the content is not that large, so just make backups and use f2fs.

Indeed.
_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2273
Location: Bardowick, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2fs is really cool!
... but if something goes wrong, you have to plug in your sdcard into another machine to do an fsck, because f2fs can not fsck on a ro mounted volume. (And that's the major showstopper for me)
_________________
Important German:
  1. "Aha" - German reaction to pretend that you are really interested while giving no f*ck.
  2. "Tja" - German reaction to the apocalypse, nuclear war, an alien invasion or no bread in the house.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reddragon
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Apr 2017
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: SSD filesystem? Reply with quote

what the best performance fs for a ssd f2fs, ext4 or btrfs?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5625
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how important is your data?

Out of three, ext4 is the most mature and is perfectly happy with SSD (especially with a cron fstrim call).
F2FS is extremely new
btrfs as the replacement to ext4 shows promise but is still not really ready
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6995
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number one priority for a filesystem is to be boring, uneventful, not giving you any headaches. The SSD will be fast anyway. ext4 fulfills that condition perfectly.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43194
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take into account that one day you may discover that two of your options become 'write only' filesystems.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reddragon
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Apr 2017
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i will use ext4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 284
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Take into account that one day you may discover that two of your options become 'write only' filesystems.
I tried googling that but didn't find anything about becoming write only. Would you please explain that a bit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5625
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roki942 wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
Take into account that one day you may discover that two of your options become 'write only' filesystems.
I tried googling that but didn't find anything about becoming write only. Would you please explain that a bit?
well.. if you are lucky when the file system fails you can write but not read. slightly more useful than not being able to write or read. Not by much but a bit better
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king


Last edited by Naib on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43194
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roki942,

Its like /dev/null. You can put data in but never read it.
All your data is lost.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uberDoward
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to have a lot of large files, I'll suggest xfs :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Oct 2014
Posts: 113
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberDoward wrote:
If you're going to have a lot of large files, I'll suggest xfs :)

How big is large?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
depontius
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 3383

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proinsias wrote:
uberDoward wrote:
If you're going to have a lot of large files, I'll suggest xfs :)

How big is large?


I've got gobs of MythTV files, the largest 15.3G, many slightly smaller, and run-of-the-mill 3-6G.
_________________
.sigs waste space and bandwidth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Oct 2014
Posts: 113
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very few files beyond a gigabyte or two. I've used ext4 and been happy with it for a few years but went wild this evening and done a mkfs.xfs on a usb thumbdrive, it hasn't gone on fire yet so I might experiment a little more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
depontius
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 3383

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was first setting up MythTV they advised xfs simply because TV recordings are so big. That was just a few years ago - I'm not sure if ext4 was out at the time. Not having a better or more informed opinion, I took their advice, and have been happy. For more normal use I've stuck to ext4, though.
_________________
.sigs waste space and bandwidth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aquous
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: f2fs for / - mature enough? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Random thought that crossed my mind: my / is on an SSD, so it would probably benefit from being formatted as f2fs, rather than ext4. Last I checked, f2fs was still quite experimental, but I don't know what its current state is. A quick Google search indicates that there appears to be a working fsck tool now, and I know that various phone manufacturers are beginning to use it (although in Android ROMs / is always read-only, so there's basically no risk for them). What do you guys think - is anybody using f2fs for /, and how is it working for you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goverp
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 668

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent discussion of exactly this question
can be found here
_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 255

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

It is mature enough for me to consider using it on a rather important, but not my only, system. However if you look there are some changes you can make to your ext4 filesystems that make them more compatible with SSDs, though not exactly like f2fs. Eventually it seems like all important work in f2fs may get added into ext4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
It is mature enough for me to consider using it on a rather important, but not my only, system. However if you look there are some changes you can make to your ext4 filesystems that make them more compatible with SSDs, though not exactly like f2fs. Eventually it seems like all important work in f2fs may get added into ext4.

R0b0t1 ... you have any links to that discussion? I was thinking of f2fs for an old dell netbook (with an 8GB SSD) just for the hell of it, but I've been holding off due to lack of time. How soon might "eventually" be?

TIA & best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum