Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Profiles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dendro
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Profiles Reply with quote

Is there any need to select the any desktop profiles if I only plan to use X and i3wm? I decided to reinstall with only the profile for my cpu this time.

On another note. I noticed this time it says gentoo-r1 as my kernel. What caused this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6313
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, profiles are a convenience geared for specific purposes, not a requirement. If you'd rather specify your own use flags all the way, there's no need to set a profile other than the default.
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:
Is there any need to select the any desktop profiles if I only plan to use X and i3wm?
profiles are provided by the developers to make life easier for the user. They are a set of USE flags which should support reaching an operational configuation that supports the result suggested by the profile title. The profile USE flags are modified in turn by the USE=" " entry in /etc/portage/make.conf (globally) and the entries in /etc/portage/package.use (per package). This ability to modify the profile allows tailoring to your needs and desires. Changed USE flags (whether by changing profile or by ediing make.conf or by editing package.use) are made effective by runninng emerge -uND world (emerge --update --newuse --deep @world).
you wrote:
I decided to reinstall with only the profile for my cpu this time.
Exactly what profile might that be (by number or by name as in the eselect profile list, please)?
you wrote:
I noticed this time it says gentoo-r1 as my kernel. What caused this?
You reinstalled? If so the reinstall may well have included building a new kernel from source, namely gentoo-sources-4.18.1-r1.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dendro
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
you wrote:
Is there any need to select the any desktop profiles if I only plan to use X and i3wm?
profiles are provided by the developers to make life easier for the user. They are a set of USE flags which should support reaching an operational configuation that supports the result suggested by the profile title. The profile USE flags are modified in turn by the USE=" " entry in /etc/portage/make.conf (globally) and the entries in /etc/portage/package.use (per package). This ability to modify the profile allows tailoring to your needs and desires. Changed USE flags (whether by changing profile or by ediing make.conf or by editing package.use) are made effective by runninng emerge -uND world (emerge --update --newuse --deep @world).
you wrote:
I decided to reinstall with only the profile for my cpu this time.
Exactly what profile might that be (by number or by name as in the eselect profile list, please)?
you wrote:
I noticed this time it says gentoo-r1 as my kernel. What caused this?
You reinstalled? If so the reinstall may well have included building a new kernel from source, namely gentoo-sources-4.18.1-r1.


I used
Code:
 [12]  default/linux/amd64/17.0 (stable)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sound base. Add packages and USE flags as you desire. You reported elsewhere installing X and i3wm. Is that working to your satisfaction?
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum