Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
grub-install: error: unknown filesystem during install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no to fresh reinstall ; that is for that other OS, think we are very close
Code:
emerge --deselect -av eudev
emerge -Cav eudev
emerge -1av systemd
emerge -1avuND world

_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
no to fresh reinstall ; that is for that other OS, think we are very close
Code:
emerge --deselect -av eudev
emerge -Cav eudev
emerge -1av systemd
emerge -1avuND world


I hope so.. Appreciate your help :)

emerge --deselect -av eudev
>>> No matching atoms found in "world" favorites file...

emerge -Cav eudev
* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: sys-fs/eudev-3.2.5
* - /lib64/libudev.so.1
* - /lib64/libudev.so.1.6.3
* used by /lib64/dhcpcd/dev/udev.so (net-misc/dhcpcd-7.0.1)
* used by /usr/lib64/libpci.so.3.5.6 (sys-apps/pciutils-3.5.6)
* used by /usr/sbin/mkfs.fat (sys-fs/dosfstools-4.0-r1)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries


emerge -1av systemd :
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/toe1gmnEoO9vVnilZ0VV/

emerge -1avuND world
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/kGYN6LdeiGy7WtbvQvne/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -Cav eudev virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager
emerge -1av --keep-going --skip-first systemd
emerge -1av virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager
emerge -1avuND world

systemd includes udev, eudev is a gentoo construct to provide udev function without systemd (openrc), virtual/udev should have relinked from eudev to udev before any calls for virtual/udev were made in the emerge process.
invoking keep-going will prevent a package failure killing the emerge of subsequent packages packages, portage will recalculate packages and package order with skip-first preventing a retry of the failed package. This process may leave some packages in older versions.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
emerge -Cav eudev virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager
emerge -1av --keep-going --skip-first systemd
emerge -1av virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager
emerge -1avuND world

systemd includes udev, eudev is a gentoo construct to provide udev function without systemd (openrc), virtual/udev should have relinked from eudev to udev before any calls for virtual/udev were made in the emerge process.
invoking keep-going will prevent a package failure killing the emerge of subsequent packages packages, portage will recalculate packages and package order with skip-first preventing a retry of the failed package. This process may leave some packages in older versions.


emerge -Cav eudev virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager :
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/GakrZVA78D2dm8O6iEKg/

emerge -1av virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/qpAMy5bfZKV0lA4pDqrm/
(If you need me to attach /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/libusb-1.0.22/temp/build.log let me know?)

emerge -1avuND world
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/hcfUP4FPcsxohvaiJav0/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again please

Code:
emerge -Cav eudev virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager

emerge -1av --keep-going --skip-first systemd # missed this

emerge -1av virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager # if systemd did not install don't bother with this

emerge -1avuND world  # and/or this

_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
again please

Code:
emerge -Cav eudev virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager

emerge -1av --keep-going --skip-first systemd # missed this

emerge -1av virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager # if systemd did not install don't bother with this

emerge -1avuND world  # and/or this


emerge -Cav eudev virtual/udev virtual/dev-manager - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/UdEh7hXKraVruyUZvlLE/

emerge -1av --keep-going --skip-first systemd - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/XT0LrITB1OJNPrA0JNAz/

(Skipping since systemd didn't install)

emerge -1avuND world - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/hVrpg6rDN4sGLhD0GHIo/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add
sys-apps/sysvinit
sys-apps/openrc
to /etc/portage/package.mask
run
Code:
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
if systemd installs run
Code:
emerge -avuND world
does a B for block still appear?
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
add
sys-apps/sysvinit
sys-apps/openrc
to /etc/portage/package.mask
run
Code:
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
if systemd installs run
Code:
emerge -avuND world
does a B for block still appear?


So /etc/portage/package.mask is currently a directory - empty. Is that maybe a clue something's amiss?
So in it I made sys-apps, and in there sysvinit and openrc directories?

emerge -1av --nodeps systemd - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/AVPZX93HVERHUdhRdwp9/
>>> Failed to emerge sys-apps/systemd-239-r1, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/build.log'
* Messages for package sys-apps/systemd-239-r1:
* CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF: is not set when it should be.

Googling that says to run
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug"

and then make menuconfig, but make menuconfig returns make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were you in /usr/src/linux when you ran make menuconfig?
does eselect kernel list show an asterisk against the version of gentoo-sources you are using? If not gentoo-sources what kernel is installed?
does ls -al /usr/src/linux/.config show .config being present?


NOTE: your system no longer has init files, so to a reboot after a kernel rebuild will have to be to the install media and then into the chroot where further attempts to install systemd can be made.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
were you in /usr/src/linux when you ran make menuconfig?
does eselect kernel list show an asterisk against the version of gentoo-sources you are using? If not gentoo-sources what kernel is installed?
does ls -al /usr/src/linux/.config show .config being present?


NOTE: your system no longer has init files, so to a reboot after a kernel rebuild will have to be to the install media and then into the chroot where further attempts to install systemd can be made.


Ahh was not in /usr/src/linux. What option am I looking to enable in there?

eselect kernel list shows [1] linux-4.14.65-gentoo

# ls -al /usr/src/linux/.config
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 161933 Sep 24 18:33 /usr/src/linux/.config

Ok, I still have the usb drive I used to install, I can mount that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fix the kernel:
if you used genkernel:
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
if you used manual method before:
Code:
 cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd contains specific requirements to enable in the kernel when in menuconfig.
Under Kernel in the reference: the menuconfig should enable systemd:
Quote:
Gentoo Linux --->
Support for init systems, system and service managers --->
[*] systemd
after you enable systemd, please check that the rest of the kernel options that should have been enabled by that choice are enabled:
Quote:
To configure the kernel options manually (which is the only option when not using sys-kernel/gentoo-sources), the following kernel configuration options are required or recommended:
KERNEL Mandatory options

General setup --->
[*] Control Group support --->
[*] Support for eBPF programs attached to cgroup
[ ] Enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
[*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
[*] open by fhandle syscalls
[*] Enable eventpoll support
[*] Enable signalfd() system call
[*] Enable timerfd() system call
[*] Networking support --->
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
[*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
File systems --->
[*] Inotify support for userspace
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] /proc file system support
[*] sysfs file system support

KERNEL Recommended options

General setup --->
[*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
[*] Checkpoint/restore support
[*] Namespaces support --->
[*] Network namespace
[*] Enable the block layer --->
[*] Block layer SG support v4
Processor type and features --->
[*] Enable seccomp to safely compute untrusted bytecode
Networking support --->
Networking options --->
<*> The IPv6 protocol
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
() path to uevent helper
[ ] Fallback user-helper invocation for firmware loading
Firmware Drivers --->
[*] Export DMI identification via sysfs to userspace
File systems --->
<*> Kernel automounter version 4 support (also supports v3)
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] Tmpfs virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
[*] Tmpfs POSIX Access Control Lists
[*] Tmpfs extended attributes

For an UEFI system also enable the following:
KERNEL UEFI support

[*] Enable the block layer --->
Partition Types --->
[*] Advanced partition selection
[*] EFI GUID Partition support
Processor type and features --->
[*] EFI runtime service support
Firmware Drivers --->
EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) Support -->
<*> EFI Variable Support via sysfs
exit enough times to get a prompt
Quote:
Do you wish to save your new configuration?
(Press <ESC><ESC> to continue kernel configuration?
< Yes > < No >
allow genkernel to run to completion (if used) or (if manual method used) run
Code:
make && make modules_install && make install
cd
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
If systemd installs try
Code:
emerge -av systemd
with luck the dependencies will install/update. If that works, emerge -avuND --keep-going world.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
fix the kernel:
if you used genkernel:
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
if you used manual method before:
Code:
 cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd contains specific requirements to enable in the kernel when in menuconfig.
Under Kernel in the reference: the menuconfig should enable systemd:
Quote:
Gentoo Linux --->
Support for init systems, system and service managers --->
[*] systemd
after you enable systemd, please check that the rest of the kernel options that should have been enabled by that choice are enabled:
Quote:
To configure the kernel options manually (which is the only option when not using sys-kernel/gentoo-sources), the following kernel configuration options are required or recommended:
KERNEL Mandatory options

General setup --->
[*] Control Group support --->
[*] Support for eBPF programs attached to cgroup
[ ] Enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
[*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
[*] open by fhandle syscalls
[*] Enable eventpoll support
[*] Enable signalfd() system call
[*] Enable timerfd() system call
[*] Networking support --->
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
[*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
File systems --->
[*] Inotify support for userspace
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] /proc file system support
[*] sysfs file system support

KERNEL Recommended options

General setup --->
[*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
[*] Checkpoint/restore support
[*] Namespaces support --->
[*] Network namespace
[*] Enable the block layer --->
[*] Block layer SG support v4
Processor type and features --->
[*] Enable seccomp to safely compute untrusted bytecode
Networking support --->
Networking options --->
<*> The IPv6 protocol
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
() path to uevent helper
[ ] Fallback user-helper invocation for firmware loading
Firmware Drivers --->
[*] Export DMI identification via sysfs to userspace
File systems --->
<*> Kernel automounter version 4 support (also supports v3)
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] Tmpfs virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
[*] Tmpfs POSIX Access Control Lists
[*] Tmpfs extended attributes

For an UEFI system also enable the following:
KERNEL UEFI support

[*] Enable the block layer --->
Partition Types --->
[*] Advanced partition selection
[*] EFI GUID Partition support
Processor type and features --->
[*] EFI runtime service support
Firmware Drivers --->
EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) Support -->
<*> EFI Variable Support via sysfs
exit enough times to get a prompt
Quote:
Do you wish to save your new configuration?
(Press <ESC><ESC> to continue kernel configuration?
< Yes > < No >
allow genkernel to run to completion (if used) or (if manual method used) run
Code:
make && make modules_install && make install
cd
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
If systemd installs try
Code:
emerge -av systemd
with luck the dependencies will install/update. If that works, emerge -avuND --keep-going world.



Enabled everything.... Ran genkernal (I did originally)...

"
* Required Kernel Parameters:
* root=/dev/$ROOT
*
* Where $ROOT is the device node for your root partition as the
* one specified in /etc/fstab
"

I don't see any reference to root in /etc/fstab?

I assume I only need to run the make && make install && ... if I didn't run genkernal?

Ran emerge -1av --nodeps systemd - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/aYVwUD5xIiQvESr4vDsS/

emerge -av systemd - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/27K9BsDdjKXOi9VedNcA/
still failed to emerge :(

/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/libusb-1.0.22/temp/build.log - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/4VRn17oUtBwsI0nUxPy9/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF: is not set when it should be.
still appearing in the output of emerge -1av --nodeps systemd suggests that the kernel was not recompiled with the required systemd parameters. Check it out by running:
Code:
mount # if /dev/sda2 is not shown mounted at /boot run
ls -al  /boot # perhaps a recompiled kernel is in /boot on /dev/sda4 ??
# fairly common to make kernel with boot partition not mounted
mount /boot # only if not already mounted
ls -al /boot | wgetpaste -t
wgetpaste -t /usr/src/linux/.config
post the url's returned for backup check
You wrote:
"* Required Kernel Parameters:
* root=/dev/$ROOT
*
* Where $ROOT is the device node for your root partition as the
* one specified in /etc/fstab"
I don't see any reference to root in /etc/fstab?
The line is remindin you that you need to tell the boot loader to tell the kernel where the root file system is located so control can be passed from the kernel to the init system. Presuming that the root partition is on device /dev/sda4 (handbook suggesion) /etc/fstab should contain:
Quote:
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext4 noatime 0 1
in the last line (for /dev/sda4) the "/" is pronounced root. If the current fstab is deficient, correct it. Ensure /etc/genkernel.conf contains: UDEV="yes" , and recompile the kernel as in the previous post.
cd /usr/src/linux;make menuconfig;make && make modules_install && make install would serve the purpose of recompiling the kernel but would not rebuild the initramfs which may need it and would change the name of the kernel.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
fix the kernel:
if you used genkernel:
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
if you used manual method before:
Code:
 cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd contains specific requirements to enable in the kernel when in menuconfig.
Under Kernel in the reference: the menuconfig should enable systemd:
Quote:
Gentoo Linux --->
Support for init systems, system and service managers --->
[*] systemd
after you enable systemd, please check that the rest of the kernel options that should have been enabled by that choice are enabled:
Quote:
To configure the kernel options manually (which is the only option when not using sys-kernel/gentoo-sources), the following kernel configuration options are required or recommended:
KERNEL Mandatory options

General setup --->
[*] Control Group support --->
[*] Support for eBPF programs attached to cgroup
[ ] Enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
[*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
[*] open by fhandle syscalls
[*] Enable eventpoll support
[*] Enable signalfd() system call
[*] Enable timerfd() system call
[*] Networking support --->
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
[*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
File systems --->
[*] Inotify support for userspace
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] /proc file system support
[*] sysfs file system support

KERNEL Recommended options

General setup --->
[*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
[*] Checkpoint/restore support
[*] Namespaces support --->
[*] Network namespace
[*] Enable the block layer --->
[*] Block layer SG support v4
Processor type and features --->
[*] Enable seccomp to safely compute untrusted bytecode
Networking support --->
Networking options --->
<*> The IPv6 protocol
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
() path to uevent helper
[ ] Fallback user-helper invocation for firmware loading
Firmware Drivers --->
[*] Export DMI identification via sysfs to userspace
File systems --->
<*> Kernel automounter version 4 support (also supports v3)
Pseudo filesystems --->
[*] Tmpfs virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
[*] Tmpfs POSIX Access Control Lists
[*] Tmpfs extended attributes

For an UEFI system also enable the following:
KERNEL UEFI support

[*] Enable the block layer --->
Partition Types --->
[*] Advanced partition selection
[*] EFI GUID Partition support
Processor type and features --->
[*] EFI runtime service support
Firmware Drivers --->
EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) Support -->
<*> EFI Variable Support via sysfs
exit enough times to get a prompt
Quote:
Do you wish to save your new configuration?
(Press <ESC><ESC> to continue kernel configuration?
< Yes > < No >
allow genkernel to run to completion (if used) or (if manual method used) run
Code:
make && make modules_install && make install
cd
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
If systemd installs try
Code:
emerge -av systemd
with luck the dependencies will install/update. If that works, emerge -avuND --keep-going world.


Oh wait, think I may have missed something...

Under [*] Configure standard kernel features (expert users) --->
I don't have any fhandle options?

But double checked everything else, still >>> Failed to emerge sys-apps/systemd-239-r1, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/build.log'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Quote:
CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF: is not set when it should be.
still appearing in the output of emerge -1av --nodeps systemd suggests that the kernel was not recompiled with the required systemd parameters. Check it out by running:
Code:
mount # if /dev/sda2 is not shown mounted at /boot run
ls -al  /boot # perhaps a recompiled kernel is in /boot on /dev/sda4 ??
# fairly common to make kernel with boot partition not mounted
mount /boot # only if not already mounted
ls -al /boot | wgetpaste -t
wgetpaste -t /usr/src/linux/.config
post the url's returned for backup check
You wrote:
"* Required Kernel Parameters:
* root=/dev/$ROOT
*
* Where $ROOT is the device node for your root partition as the
* one specified in /etc/fstab"
I don't see any reference to root in /etc/fstab?
The line is remindin you that you need to tell the boot loader to tell the kernel where the root file system is located so control can be passed from the kernel to the init system. Presuming that the root partition is on device /dev/sda4 (handbook suggesion) /etc/fstab should contain:
Quote:
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext4 noatime 0 1
in the last line (for /dev/sda4) the "/" is pronounced root. If the current fstab is deficient, correct it. Ensure /etc/genkernel.conf contains: UDEV="yes" , and recompile the kernel as in the previous post.
cd /usr/src/linux;make menuconfig;make && make modules_install && make install would serve the purpose of recompiling the kernel but would not rebuild the initramfs which may need it and would change the name of the kernel.


/dev/sda2 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)


ls -al /boot | wgetpaste -t https://paste.pound-python.org/show/bO8UuBpQhJNoNUlkLNzY/

wgetpaste -t /usr/src/linux/.config https://paste.pound-python.org/show/fqiChvo8DrsE4UdLeZB8/

/etc/fstab contains


/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext4 noatime 0 1

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/sda2 /boot vfat defaults,noauto 0 2


changed UDEV="yes" and running a genkernal.. that'll keep it busy for a while :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One discrepancy reported is
Quote:
/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/environment: line 5890: meson: command not found
* ERROR: sys-apps/systemd-239-r1::gentoo failed (configure phase):
* (no error message)
run
Code:
find / -name meson* | wgetpaste -t # is meson in the PATH?
meson --help # If command not found run next 2 lines
emerge -1av meson
meson --help # a recheck -- ok?
wgetpaste -t /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/environment
post the urls returned so we can take a look around line 5890 .

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/README provides the systemd authors' list of requirements for systemd. It includes
Quote:
REQUIREMENTS:
Linux kernel >= 3.13
Linux kernel >= 4.2 for unified cgroup hierarchy support
We are having a problem with CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF. We are trying to insatall systemd-239-r1 from the testing branch with gentoo-sorces-4.14.65 from stable. That should not be a problem if the systemd and the gentoo devs got backward compatibility right. However, maybe:
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge -av gentoo-sources # should bring in gentoo-sources-4.18.10
eselect kernel set linux-4.18.10-gentoo
genkernel --menuconfig all
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
will get systemd installed.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a openrc CLI system in a chroot that I'm playing with. Have produced a problem very similar to yours. Updated kernel to 4.18.10. Updated profile to 17.0/systemd/gnome. Attempted emerge world. Circular error involving encodings prevented the emerge. emerge --nodeps -1 encodings failed because mkfontscale was not installed. emerge -1 mkfontscale succeeded. emerge --nodeps -1 encodings then succeeded. emerge -avuND world then failed with the systemd blocks sysvinit/openrc/eudev errors you have seen. emerge -1 --nodeps systemd failed with the "CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF: is not set when it should be." discrepancy report and a different meson error:
Quote:
The Meson build system
Version: 0.48.0
Source dir: /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/work/systemd-239
Build dir: /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/work/systemd-239-abi_x86_64.amd64
Build type: native build

meson_options.txt:49:0: ERROR: Option name debug is reserved.
CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF apparently appears to no longer be part of the kernel config. In menuconfig
Quote:
General setup --->
[*] Control Group support --->
[*] Support for eBPF programs attached to cgroup
the eBPF choice no longer exists.
Quote:
grep -i cgroup /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_CGROUPS=y
# CONFIG_BLK_CGROUP is not set
CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED=y
# CONFIG_CGROUP_PIDS is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_RDMA is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_FREEZER is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_HUGETLB is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_CPUACCT is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_PERF is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_NET_PRIO is not set
# CONFIG_CGROUP_NET_CLASSID is not set
I7-6700K ~ # grep -i bpf /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_BPF=y
# CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL is not set
# CONFIG_BPFILTER is not set
# CONFIG_BPF_JIT is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_EBPF_JIT=y
# CONFIG_TEST_BPF is not set
Is the content of my 4.18.10 .config. Suspect CONFIG_HAVE_EBPF_JIT=y may have replaced CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF. Working on it; More if/when I get a clue to what is going on.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
One discrepancy reported is
Quote:
/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/environment: line 5890: meson: command not found
* ERROR: sys-apps/systemd-239-r1::gentoo failed (configure phase):
* (no error message)
run
Code:
find / -name meson* | wgetpaste -t # is meson in the PATH?
meson --help # If command not found run next 2 lines
emerge -1av meson
meson --help # a recheck -- ok?
wgetpaste -t /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/environment
post the urls returned so we can take a look around line 5890 .

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/README provides the systemd authors' list of requirements for systemd. It includes
Quote:
REQUIREMENTS:
Linux kernel >= 3.13
Linux kernel >= 4.2 for unified cgroup hierarchy support
We are having a problem with CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF. We are trying to insatall systemd-239-r1 from the testing branch with gentoo-sorces-4.14.65 from stable. That should not be a problem if the systemd and the gentoo devs got backward compatibility right. However, maybe:
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge -av gentoo-sources # should bring in gentoo-sources-4.18.10
eselect kernel set linux-4.18.10-gentoo
genkernel --menuconfig all
emerge -1av --nodeps systemd
will get systemd installed.


find / -name meson* | wgetpaste -t
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/4f3TdtJ07rS9JFJL40Vx/

I see a number of meson's. ?

meson --help - command not found
Ran emerge - now runs.

wgetpaste -t /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/systemd-239-r1/temp/environment
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/iD0fAAOWHYvnwZJhpj4O/

emerge --sync ran fine - forgot to do wgetpaste, it suggested I run emerge --oneshot portage - ran that.
Reran sync - https://paste.pound-python.org/show/HOG9C9sJT90M1dqqd4JL/

emerge -av gentoo-sources - looks good? here: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/urx0ZhJNfghIoO3iPdAh/


genkernel --menuconfig all - Did I need to change anything?
Ran with no apparent issues.

emerge -1av --nodeps systemd - failed again :( https://paste.pound-python.org/show/aHn8B51aOGaLT50I4rDs/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently trying to install systemd-9999. At package 46 of 50. Back sometime soon when it succeeds or fails.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INSTALLED. Next a world update. I added =sys-apps/sytemd-9999 to /etc/portage/package.unmask and =sys-apps/sytemd-9999 "**" to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/systemd and ran emerge -1 =sys-apps/systemd-9999
sys-apps/systemd
Latest version available: 9999
Latest version installed: 9999
Size of files: 0 KiB
Homepage: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
Description: System and service manager for Linux
License: GPL-2 LGPL-2.1 MIT public-domain
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -avuND --keep-going world is running at 12 of 28 packages. sys-apps/openrc, net-misc/netifrc, sys-apps/sysvinit in etc/portage/package.mask to prevent blocks
emerge finished, WORLD IS UPDATED
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
INSTALLED. Next a world update. I added =sys-apps/sytemd-9999 to /etc/portage/package.unmask and =sys-apps/sytemd-9999 "**" to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/systemd and ran emerge -1 =sys-apps/systemd-9999
sys-apps/systemd
Latest version available: 9999
Latest version installed: 9999
Size of files: 0 KiB
Homepage: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
Description: System and service manager for Linux
License: GPL-2 LGPL-2.1 MIT public-domain


I don't have /etc/portage/package.unmask or /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/systemd ... :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phirephoto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
emerge -avuND --keep-going world is running at 12 of 28 packages. sys-apps/openrc, net-misc/netifrc, sys-apps/sysvinit in etc/portage/package.mask to prevent blocks
emerge finished, WORLD IS UPDATED



* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.
:(

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/hpLFmLRdudSvyIVzIed5/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have /etc/portage/package.unmask or /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/systemd ...

Make them as files or as directories containing files -- same deal as /etc/portage/package.use
wgetpaste does not post all of the comments that follow the package build list, those comments will be more useful than the build list now.

emerge gpm will give you a mouse cursor and copy and paste in the CLi to make it easier to get the comments into a file which can be posted or pastebinned.

sys-apps/sysvinit ("sys-apps/sysvinit" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-239-r1):
IMHO the ebuild for systemd-239-r1 is broken but the ebuild for systemd-9999 works (both 239-r1 and 9999 make the bogus comment about CONFIG_CGROUP_BPF, ignore that)
adding sys-apps/sysvinit to /etc/portage/package.mask should stop that block and reveal which package is calling for sysvinit so that package can be dealy with.

The systemd wiki article is not up to date. Recommend studying https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/README to get accurate information direct from the authors about requirements and usage.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7553
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in process of filing a bug report against systemd-239-r1 when I noted that https://bugs.gentoo.org/667300 had been filed and resolved at 2018-09-29 15:27:05 UTC by a github commit at https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=e8192a2eff5472db971b1be47db26ef70bbad226 . I'm off now to test it.

test passed! no need to use systemd-9999

If sys-apps/systemd-9999 is in /etc/portage/package.mask and/or /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords, remove it. Check that sys-apps/openrc, sys-apps/sysvinit, and sys-fs/eudev are in /etc/portage/package.mask
run
Code:

emerge --sync
emerge -1av --keep-going systemd
# if the emerge  fails run the next line
ls /usr/portage/sys-apps/systemd/files/239-debug-extra.patch
# to verify the patch is in your system
# if systemd installs run
emerge -avuND world
If emerge world fails skip the package list but post or pastebin the comments.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum