Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Password is gone after reboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 2773

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Password is gone after reboot Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a very weird problem.
I did install the OS following the HB without any errors. Everything was good. I set up the password for my root account and finished with rebooting.

Next the reboot went OK and I got an invitation to enter user id. I entered "root" and my password, but it was not accepted.
So I booted back to the minimal CD mounted the root and set the root password again.

Rebooted and was able to login.
Proceeded to create a user - no issues. Exited and tried to login with the regular user - couldn't do that. User credentails was not recognised.
Tried again to login as root - once again credentials was not recognised.

Does anyone experienced something like this before? Can someone help with the solution?

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN ...

the most obvious reason would be the keymap used on the minimal CD (probably keymap="us") is different to that set for the install. Different keymap would provide different keys/input for passwd.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 7198

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As azerty user i could tell you that it's easy to catch, password entry hide what you type, but user entry is a good place to test.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 2773

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN ...

the most obvious reason would be the keymap used on the minimal CD (probably keymap="us") is different to that set for the install. Different keymap would provide different keys/input for passwd.

best ... khay


How do I check this is the case? And if it is - how do I fix it?

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
the most obvious reason would be the keymap used on the minimal CD (probably keymap="us") is different to that set for the install. Different keymap would provide different keys/input for passwd.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
How do I check this is the case? And if it is - how do I fix it?

ONEEYEMAN ... having "follow[ed] the HB" you will have seen this. The rest is also in your memory, ie, what layout was selected at boot via the "keyboard layout" menu, and what, if anything, was set in /etc/conf.d/keymaps. You've been using gentoo for some time now, you shouldn't need your hand held for these sorts of questions.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 2773

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
khayyam wrote:

khayyam wrote:

the most obvious reason would be the keymap used on the minimal CD (probably keymap="us") is different to that set for the install. Different keymap would provide different keys/input for passwd.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

How do I check this is the case? And if it is - how do I fix it?

ONEEYEMAN ... having "follow[ed] the HB" you will have seen this. The rest is also in your memory, ie, what layout was selected at boot via the "keyboard layout" menu, and what, if anything, was set in /etc/conf.d/keymaps. You've been using gentoo for some time now, you shouldn't need your hand held for these sorts of questions.

best ... khay


When I booted minimal CD for the first time I probably didn't catch the time to enter keymap.
So, after I booted back to CD I entered 41, re-did the password initialization and everything worked.

Thank you.

P.S.: Minimal CD should wait indefinitely for this number and don't presume the defaults. But that's rhetorical and for another post.
Maybe even for a bug.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 2773

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Is this still the relevant fix for screen clearing on reboot?
Or is there a better option?

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Is this still the relevant fix for screen clearing on reboot?

ONEEYEMAN ... yes, '--noclear' ... and '--noissue' if you want to disable the priniting of /etc/issue.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 2773

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx.
Only asked that because I saw this, which is a replacement of kernel parameter.
So was wondering if there is something new in that area as well...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Only asked that because I saw this, which is a replacement of kernel parameter. So was wondering if there is something new in that area as well...

ONEEYEMAN ... what happened was that sometime back the default with agetty was not to clear the tty, and then that behavior was reversed, and those that wanted the old behavoir needed to add --noclear. That's not something the kernel ever played any part in.

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum