Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ryzen Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Sep 2002
Posts: 431
Location: Flakey Shake & Bake Caliornia, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Ryzen Questions Reply with quote

Make.conf shows -o2 -pipe as the only optimizations according to the build script that was used for the amd64 tarball. In reading up on Ryzen, is it better to leave as is or add -mtune to get a generic amd64 build?

Note I'm not worried about speed at this time - just stability

Second Question is about Ram Quantity - I have the full 64GB in the build (QVL rated) and no o'clocks other then cpu turbo. Related is the lm_sensors (It's an Asrock B450M Pro4 board) and the bios is at 3.3.0 (3rd Gen Ready) with no roll back possible. Can't even roll back to 3.1.0

Final Question: Is Zen too bleeding edge for GCC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rad
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 390
Location: Berne, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not observed any stability issues with "-march=native" on Ryzen or basically any other x86 for a long while now. I don't think -mtune would be a problem, but I have not tried it.

No, I don't think the now IIRC over 2 year old Zen is too bleeding edge for GCC or LLVM.

As for the question about RAM Quantity and BIOS rollbacks: I didn't really understand what you were trying to ask, but if it's actually about just the RAM - 64GB is generally more than plenty of RAM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 45383
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle,

It should be -O2.

That's the only optimisation is the stag3 as nte stage3 has to run on any amd64 platform.
gcc-8.x.x should get -march=native right but that builds for the host CPU.
-mtune only reorders instructions to suit the execution pipeline of the target. It does not get target optimised code.

-march= implies -mtune= too, so if you use -march there is no need to provide -mtune.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Sep 2002
Posts: 431
Location: Flakey Shake & Bake Caliornia, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Rad: The Bios Rollback issue is something that can't be done now if someone suggests it (I'm on the latest and it's locked by AMD for 3rd Gen Ryzen).

@ Neddy: Looks as though I do want the more generic -mtune as the eventual use is as a rescue/install flash based Gentoo that Boots on any newer AMD/Intel UEFI based system while native kills the intel compatibility from what I've read.

On the -o2 was a typo on my part - actual make.conf shows -02 -pipe with -mtune=x86-64 as I wanted.

As stated, speed isn't important at this point. Still have to get back up to speed after a long absence (5 years is a long time) and there's been lots of changes to Gentoo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
etnull
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2019
Posts: 327

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
On the -o2 was a typo on my part - actual make.conf shows -02 -pipe with -mtune=x86-64 as I wanted.

If it shows exactly that, that is mistake still, it's O not zero.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Sep 2002
Posts: 431
Location: Flakey Shake & Bake Caliornia, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull: First off, I didn't make any changes to make.conf except for the addition of -mtune=x86-64. The response to Neddy was in regards to what I'd typed on the forum, which was a typo. If the autogenerated script is using the wrong optimization flag, then everyone's system would be screwed up wouldn't it?

Now instead of trying to be a troll drawing my Hammer with Torment and Fire on it, read the entire thread and think before you open mouth and insert foot again. Some of us Adults really dislike Peanut Galliery Comments and seeing as how I have serveral Rangers, Engineers, Guardians and a Necromancer or two, I think I can easly deal with a minor annoyance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maitreya
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 432

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
etnull: First off, I didn't make any changes to make.conf except for the addition of -mtune=x86-64. The response to Neddy was in regards to what I'd typed on the forum, which was a typo. If the autogenerated script is using the wrong optimization flag, then everyone's system would be screwed up wouldn't it?

Now instead of trying to be a troll drawing my Hammer with Torment and Fire on it, read the entire thread and think before you open mouth and insert foot again. Some of us Adults really dislike Peanut Galliery Comments and seeing as how I have serveral Rangers, Engineers, Guardians and a Necromancer or two, I think I can easly deal with a minor annoyance


I have no idea why you feel you need, or even think it is ok to respond like this?
You come here to ask for help.
Somebody helps you out by pointing out rather hair-pulling mistakes.
And then you respond like this? Let's hope you'll give us the "It was my brother typing" excuse soon...
Trying to top it off with "I didn't change anything but..." And then paste a zero instead of a O... Gentoo dev's didn't put it in there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Sep 2002
Posts: 431
Location: Flakey Shake & Bake Caliornia, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you rather I go full out "Troll Killing Flame Fest Mode?" I can certainly do so to all of the peanut gallery such as your comment proves. As I told etNull - Do not Open Mouth and Insert Foot, which is exactly what he and you have done in crying about spilt milk.

In regards to the Typo - I had stated it was in what I posted, not make.conf and if you could not understand that, then """ think what you will as I don't care and NO! I am not politically correct. If you don't like it, then don't poke the turtle. We do Snap and Bite quite hard at times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
etnull
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2019
Posts: 327

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging the word choice, and overall sentence structure he could have some mental problems, or severe autism. (second Terry?)
Never mind, it's not that easy to offend me anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 18434

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull wrote:
Judging the word choice, and overall sentence structure he could have some mental problems, or severe autism. (second Terry?)
Never mind, it's not that easy to offend me anyway.
This is never an appropriate response, especially in a support forum. Please stop.
_________________
The media sells it and you live the role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 18434

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
Would you rather I go full out "Troll Killing Flame Fest Mode?" I can certainly do so to all of the peanut gallery such as your comment proves. As I told etNull - Do not Open Mouth and Insert Foot, which is exactly what he and you have done in crying about spilt milk.

In regards to the Typo - I had stated it was in what I posted, not make.conf and if you could not understand that, then """ think what you will as I don't care and NO! I am not politically correct. If you don't like it, then don't poke the turtle. We do Snap and Bite quite hard at times.
This is also an inappropriate response in a support forum. Please stop. Before you choose to "go full out" it would be best to review the forum guildelines.

Regarding your original reply to etnull, it might be beneficial to recognize that they were trying to offer help. In acknowledging your original typo of "-o2" you indicated that your make.conf contained "-02". 02 is also incorrect. People make this mistake, so etnull's comment was very valid and appropriate to ensure that your make.conf didn't have a zero as you stated.

Please be civil.
_________________
The media sells it and you live the role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 6480

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
Some of us Adults

Ah yes, I remember you. This is a distro support forum, not a roleplaying one. Now act your age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum