Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] user password not working despite several resets
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PCC322
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 May 2019
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: [solved] user password not working despite several resets Reply with quote

I have been unable to log into my non-root user account despite resetting the password several times from root. I just receive messages about login incorrect. I am not having any such problem logging in to root.

Last edited by PCC322 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 24023
Location: here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What return command grep <username> /etc/passwd? You can login from root with su - <username>?
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCC322
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 May 2019
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
What return command grep <username> /etc/passwd? You can login from root with su - <username>?


it is returning
Code:

name:x:1000:1000::/home/name:/bin/bash/


Code:

su - name


is returning:

Code:

Cannot execute /bin/bash/: Not a directory
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freke
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 588
Location: Somewhere in Denmark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCC322 wrote:
fedeliallalinea wrote:
What return command grep <username> /etc/passwd? You can login from root with su - <username>?


it is returning
Code:

name:x:1000:1000::/home/name:/bin/bash/


Code:

su - name


is returning:

Code:

Cannot execute /bin/bash/: Not a directory


Shouldn't that be
Code:
name:x:1000:1000::/home/name:/bin/bash

ie. pointing to a file instead of a dir
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCC322
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 May 2019
Posts: 48

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freke wrote:
PCC322 wrote:
fedeliallalinea wrote:
What return command grep <username> /etc/passwd? You can login from root with su - <username>?


it is returning
Code:

name:x:1000:1000::/home/name:/bin/bash/


Code:

su - name


is returning:

Code:

Cannot execute /bin/bash/: Not a directory


Shouldn't that be
Code:
name:x:1000:1000::/home/name:/bin/bash

ie. pointing to a file instead of a dir


I took out the last slash (backslash maybe?), both su and the normal log in are working now. This seems very strange as I had not touched /etc/passwd previously
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 24023
Location: here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCC322 wrote:
I took out the last slash (backslash maybe?), both su and the normal log in are working now. This seems very strange as I had not touched /etc/passwd previously

Probably when you created user with useradd command
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum