Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need advice on screen and video card.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Need advice on screen and video card. Reply with quote

Hello there fellow Linux geeks.

I just secured myself a job(Yae!).
At the end of month, if all goes well with this new job(its very challenging, but finally very Linux relevant/related) I will have some cabbage in my pocket.

I consider upgrade to following components:
GPU, CPU, Monitor, cooling for CPU.
With CPU I will go for AMD Ryzen 9 3900X.
Because it's best CPU my Mobo can support.(upgrade from Ryzen 5 1500)

So I need advices, especially from people who already own those things.

About video card: rx5700, Radeon, is it good investment longer term? It does not have Ray Tracing in hardware. Should I wait a little longer? Is anything else coming out soon worth considering longer term, especially from AMD? I'd rather get Radeons, because of open source drivers. But I currently own 780TI from Nvidia, which is obsolete and absolutely needs replacement. I understand Ray Tracing is not on AMD radars yet for another generation of video cards at least.
Apart from Tomb Raider series, are there any games on Linux, existing or coming that will have ray tracing?

And I need a BIG advice on screen.
1. Should I invest more into 4K screen? I am occasional/semi gamer. I love FPS and play them online to score some frags. My 1080p seems obsolete and its 60Hz. I will be using monitor most of my spare time, so it's kind of important, for both semi professional purposes(very seldom working from home on company laptop). I see screen as long term investment, hence I may consider getting more expensive one.(it may survive video card replacement, so probably 5-6 years minimum)
2. Should I go ultra wide instead with somewhat higher resolution than 1080p but smaller than 4K?
3. How is the support of ultrawide screens on Linux? How is the 4K support?(i especially value advises from those who own such equipment)
4. Or should I just get non ultra wide, but bigger screen and couple two screens together?(existing and new one)
5. If we talk about ultrawide screens, i want to be able to play 1080p resolution game and watch a video same time, is it possible? How difficult is it to set up?(i understand Ultrawide can act like 2 screens same time if I use HDMI instead of Display Port). Guessing with Nvidia it's going to be simple, but does AMD has nice GUI tool to configure things?
6. How bad is situation with two monitors currently, especially if they are different models/refresh rate/resolution/etc? How does gaming work on them? What about playing game and watching video same time? Will I still have 144 frame rate on one screen and 60 on other or it goes to least common denominator?
7. Does HDR play any role in Linux yet or do you see it becoming a thing?
8. Does open source AMD driver support Freesync well?
9. How bad is the situation between switching proprietary/kernel drivers?

I will gladly read all and every reply.
_________________
Just a user.


Last edited by dimko on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
szatox
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Aug 2013
Posts: 1850

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very wide 4k display, 34" and I really like it. Don't buy anything smaller though.
It's basically 2 monitors without that nasty gap in the middle, and I installed fakexrandr to split it into several smaller work areas (so I can easily maximize a window to fill one of those) and I can just bug it into a single screen for when I feel like watching a movie.
It's not perfect, squashing that bug requires me to log out, and there are no profiles (or maybe i have an old version) for storing different layouts, but it's still better than being stuck with 2 uncooperative pieces of hardware on top of my desk, which would be better than a single 17" anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: thank you for insight Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I have a very wide 4k display, 34" and I really like it. Don't buy anything smaller though.
It's basically 2 monitors without that nasty gap in the middle, and I installed fakexrandr to split it into several smaller work areas (so I can easily maximize a window to fill one of those) and I can just bug it into a single screen for when I feel like watching a movie.
It's not perfect, squashing that bug requires me to log out, and there are no profiles (or maybe i have an old version) for storing different layouts, but it's still better than being stuck with 2 uncooperative pieces of hardware on top of my desk, which would be better than a single 17" anyway.

thank you for insight
Would love to hear more voices.
_________________
Just a user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 44945
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimko,

I have a Dell P4317Q. Its four 1920x1080 displays stuck together. You can use it that way too.
There are two schools of thought on 4k displays.

a) get more normal size pixels ... and have a bigger display as a result.
b) have a more normal size screen with smaller pixels for improved resolution.

For me, it was a no brainer an I can't see individual standard sized pixels anyway.

My Dell is 60Hz and 30Hz only, so its maybe not first choice for a gamer but I still game in monochrome on an APPLE ][, so its not important to me.
It does upscale lesser resolutions, if that matters.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dimko,

I have a Dell P4317Q. Its four 1920x1080 displays stuck together. You can use it that way too.
There are two schools of thought on 4k displays.

a) get more normal size pixels ... and have a bigger display as a result.
b) have a more normal size screen with smaller pixels for improved resolution.

For me, it was a no brainer an I can't see individual standard sized pixels anyway.

My Dell is 60Hz and 30Hz only, so its maybe not first choice for a gamer but I still game in monochrome on an APPLE ][, so its not important to me.
It does upscale lesser resolutions, if that matters.


Thank you. As gamer, even 60ghz is kind small those day. So 4K seems like a good idea.

PLEASE MORE SUGGESTIONS AND EXPERIENCE :)

Also, what GUI are you using?
_________________
Just a user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 44945
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimko,

I use MATE and xfrc4 mainly.

A 1ms grey to grey screen cannot follow even a 100Hz vertical refresh.

A lot of gamers are sold on 144Hz or faster electronics behind panels that can't display images that fast anyway.
Lets not bring in the human eye either.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dimko,

I use MATE and xfrc4 mainly.

A 1ms grey to grey screen cannot follow even a 100Hz vertical refresh.

A lot of gamers are sold on 144Hz or faster electronics behind panels that can't display images that fast anyway.
Lets not bring in the human eye either.


With all due respect:
https://youtu.be/tV8P6T5tTYs?t=1058

Evidence suggests otherwise.

If not mistaking, even 60FPS were on 240FPS screen, just limited in software. In real 60ghz hardware result may even be worse IMHO, not likely but *could*.
Also, its not only video where people were doing blind test.
Also, personal observation in friends house.

I use XFCE4 mostly, but also have gnome
_________________
Just a user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 44945
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimko,

I was looking for a Star Trek clip of Scottie saying "I cannae change the laws of physics!"
It applies here. I'm sorry I can't find it. :)
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dimko,

I was looking for a Star Trek clip of Scottie saying "I cannae change the laws of physics!"
It applies here. I'm sorry I can't find it. :)


If people defy laws of physics with simple blind test, there is something fundamental you don't know about. Again, i am just pulling your leg. I live in Ireland after all.
While screen may be 1/1000 of a second when comes to response, it still needs to refresh 60 times a second. So lowest common denominator is actually refresh rate.
_________________
Just a user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 6351

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on screen and video card. Reply with quote

dimko wrote:
3. How is the support of ultrawide screens on Linux? How is the 4K support?(i especially value advises from those who own such equipment)

My 4K screen works fine. I had to set Xft.dpi and change a few of my fonts, but everything has been mostly boring.
Quote:
6. How bad is situation with two monitors currently, especially if they are different models/refresh rate/resolution/etc? How does gaming work on them? What about playing game and watching video same time? Will I still have 144 frame rate on one screen and 60 on other or it goes to least common denominator?

This works fine. I have a modeline to run my second monitor at 50hz for a few games and there isn't any tearing.
Quote:
7. Does HDR play any role in Linux yet or do you see it becoming a thing?

"DisplayDepth 30" works fine on any AMD card, but it confuses some programs.
Quote:
8. Does open source AMD driver support Freesync well?

Works for me
Quote:
9. How bad is the situation between switching proprietary/kernel drivers?

AMD doesn't suffer proprietary drivers for basic use, unless you mean the OpenCL stuff, which nobody seems to have had much success installing. It hardly matters for games though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on screen and video card. Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
dimko wrote:
3. How is the support of ultrawide screens on Linux? How is the 4K support?(i especially value advises from those who own such equipment)

My 4K screen works fine. I had to set Xft.dpi and change a few of my fonts, but everything has been mostly boring.
Quote:
6. How bad is situation with two monitors currently, especially if they are different models/refresh rate/resolution/etc? How does gaming work on them? What about playing game and watching video same time? Will I still have 144 frame rate on one screen and 60 on other or it goes to least common denominator?

This works fine. I have a modeline to run my second monitor at 50hz for a few games and there isn't any tearing.
Quote:
7. Does HDR play any role in Linux yet or do you see it becoming a thing?

"DisplayDepth 30" works fine on any AMD card, but it confuses some programs.
Quote:
8. Does open source AMD driver support Freesync well?

Works for me
Quote:
9. How bad is the situation between switching proprietary/kernel drivers?

AMD doesn't suffer proprietary drivers for basic use, unless you mean the OpenCL stuff, which nobody seems to have had much success installing. It hardly matters for games though.


Thumbs up and appreciated.
What GUI/xwindow manager do you use?
_________________
Just a user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 6351

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on screen and video card. Reply with quote

dimko wrote:
What GUI/xwindow manager do you use?

Openbox+Compton.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dimko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on screen and video card. Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
dimko wrote:
What GUI/xwindow manager do you use?

Openbox+Compton.


oh wao, do you play any games on compton, how is compatibility with XORG?
_________________
Just a user.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 6351

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of emulators, some native standalone games, and steam games fairly evenly split between native/wine. There's no performance problems with any of them, apart from the PC getting old.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum