Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Supermount Installation and Setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rince77
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 May 2004
Posts: 19
Location: Coburg, Bavaria, Germany

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done, i managed doing it inbetween 5 mins:)

greetz
Rince77
_________________
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ - Asus A7V600-F Mainboard with VIA KT600 & VT8237 Chiptset - 2x Infineon 512MB PC3200 DDR-RAM - ATI Radeon 9200 - GentooLinux 2004.2 - Kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r14 - KDE 3.3.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stillman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 223
Location: Vienna, Austria

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this possible for kernel sources > 2.6.5, in my case mm-sources 2.6.6-r1?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Nov 2002
Posts: 326
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillman wrote:
is this possible for kernel sources > 2.6.5, in my case mm-sources 2.6.6-r1?


yes it is.
_________________
http://www.mooktakim.com
Athlon XP 2001, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler, ADSL Router
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stillman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 223
Location: Vienna, Austria

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooktaKiNG wrote:
stillman wrote:
is this possible for kernel sources > 2.6.5, in my case mm-sources 2.6.6-r1?


yes it is.


if i try to patch with the file from supermount-ng.sf.net for kernel 2.6.2 it doesn't work(resp. asks for files to patch), may you give me a bit more information? thx in advance :)

[edit]i just discovered this submount-wiki, did the job for me without a hassle and without patching the kernel in 5 minutes - however i'd still be interested in a supermount-solution for 2.6.5 to see if there's a difference[/edit]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Nov 2002
Posts: 326
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillman wrote:
MooktaKiNG wrote:
stillman wrote:
is this possible for kernel sources > 2.6.5, in my case mm-sources 2.6.6-r1?


yes it is.


if i try to patch with the file from supermount-ng.sf.net for kernel 2.6.2 it doesn't work(resp. asks for files to patch), may you give me a bit more information? thx in advance :)

[edit]i just discovered this submount-wiki, did the job for me without a hassle and without patching the kernel in 5 minutes - however i'd still be interested in a supermount-solution for 2.6.5 to see if there's a difference[/edit]


Well if you install the gentoo-dev-sources the supermount patch will be there already. I think thats also true for mm, and other sources. But i don't think the vannila kernel has the patch.
_________________
http://www.mooktakim.com
Athlon XP 2001, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler, ADSL Router
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stillman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 223
Location: Vienna, Austria

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, mm sources don't have the patch(at least 2.6.6-r1 hasn't)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fvant
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 328
Location: Leiden, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have supermount in the kernel, it line shows up under dmesg but it doesn't mount anything, and if i try to mount something manually as root, i got permission denied.

Btw this is kernel 2.6.7-r5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PARENA
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jan 2003
Posts: 349

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled, my supermount sort of works, but not the way it should. I have this in my fstab:
Code:
none                    /mnt/cdrom      supermount      dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0,fs=auto  0 0


Now, when I have rebooted, with a cdrom loaded and I do 'ls /mnt/cdrom' as a regular user, it's empty. But check this out:
Code:
parena@thor ~ > ls /mnt/cdrom
parena@thor ~ > su -
Password:
root@thor ~ > ls /mnt/cdrom
20040420-20040604
root@thor ~ > logout
parena@thor ~ > ls /mnt/cdrom
20040420-20040604
parena@thor ~ >


Someone explain this to me; I try as a user, but the cdrom looks empty, then I su -, ls /mnt/cdrom and something appears, I then do ls /mnt/cdrom as user and it's all there. Freaky, how to solve this one? :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 1117

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that you have the first space as none?
I understand that it speeds things up, but why? I do not know and this would be a nice feature to have but I am more interested because it is one of the few issues one of my besat freinds is having with linux he raved on it for about 5 minutes.... he wantys things to auto mount so I wil try this.
Thanx in advance...
_________________
CPU: 3800+ X2 (2.5Ghz)
GPU: eVGA 7600GT (640/1700)
MOBO: DFI SLI-DR (Surprisingly good!)
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 2021
Location: Republic of California

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This is fubar Reply with quote

Siraris wrote:
Code:
  CC      fs/pipe.o
  CC      fs/namei.o
  CC      fs/fcntl.o
  CC      fs/ioctl.o
  CC      fs/readdir.o
  CC      fs/select.o
  CC      fs/fifo.o
  CC      fs/locks.o
  CC      fs/dcache.o
  CC      fs/inode.o
  CC      fs/attr.o
  CC      fs/bad_inode.o
  CC      fs/file.o
  CC      fs/dnotify.o
  CC      fs/filesystems.o
  CC      fs/namespace.o
fs/namespace.c: In function `do_mount':
fs/namespace.c:796: error: `FS_NO_SUBMNT' undeclared (first use in this function)
fs/namespace.c:796: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
fs/namespace.c:796: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [fs/namespace.o] Error 1
make: *** [fs] Error 2


I get this when I apply the patch to my kernel and try and re-compile it.

What is going onnnn?!?!?!?


Same happened here. In fact, the gentoo-dev-sources (newest as of this writing) didn't have supermount support. I had to patch it. Either way, I suspect it's an incompatible patch.... Is there a new supermount patch for newer kernels floating around?

This error happens no matter which kernel I apply the patch too...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the brave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: This is fubar Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
Siraris wrote:
Code:
  CC      fs/pipe.o
  CC      fs/namei.o
  CC      fs/fcntl.o
  CC      fs/ioctl.o
  CC      fs/readdir.o
  CC      fs/select.o
  CC      fs/fifo.o
  CC      fs/locks.o
  CC      fs/dcache.o
  CC      fs/inode.o
  CC      fs/attr.o
  CC      fs/bad_inode.o
  CC      fs/file.o
  CC      fs/dnotify.o
  CC      fs/filesystems.o
  CC      fs/namespace.o
fs/namespace.c: In function `do_mount':
fs/namespace.c:796: error: `FS_NO_SUBMNT' undeclared (first use in this function)
fs/namespace.c:796: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
fs/namespace.c:796: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [fs/namespace.o] Error 1
make: *** [fs] Error 2


I get this when I apply the patch to my kernel and try and re-compile it.

What is going onnnn?!?!?!?


Same happened here. In fact, the gentoo-dev-sources (newest as of this writing) didn't have supermount support. I had to patch it. Either way, I suspect it's an incompatible patch.... Is there a new supermount patch for newer kernels floating around?

This error happens no matter which kernel I apply the patch too...

Same error here with gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.10-r6.
_________________
william
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gkmac
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 333
Location: West Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: This is fubar Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
Is there a new supermount patch for newer kernels floating around?

I use gentoo-dev-sources and lately I've been getting my supermount patches from the ck-sources homepage, which if you delve deep enough you can find the individual patches separated out.

I last updated my gentoo-dev-sources to 2.6.10-r4 and used the supermount patch found here...

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.10/2.6.10-ck1/patches/supermount-ng208-10ck1.diff

...and it works for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum