Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gift tips
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
provicemo
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Posts: 201
Location: Detroit, MI

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't apollon automagically configure gift, and also start/stop as apollon is opened/closed?

cause in the past i never configured anything and apollon just worked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Nov 2002
Posts: 326
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

provicemo wrote:
Doesn't apollon automagically configure gift, and also start/stop as apollon is opened/closed?

cause in the past i never configured anything and apollon just worked.


It does. and few other clients too.
But i'm not sure if it would would through the network, i guess it should, since it is a server/client software.
_________________
http://www.mooktakim.com
Athlon XP 2001, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler, ADSL Router
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boris27
Guru
Guru


Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Posts: 562
Location: Almelo, The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have apollon talk to a distant giftd? I understand giftd can play the deamon for a load of clients, so I wondered if apollon could use that.
_________________
we are microsoft, lower your firewalls and surrender your pc's. we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. your culture will adapt and service us. resistance is futile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kronon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2003
Posts: 212
Location: NL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked that my self yesterday (Hot to make apollon connect to an other gift deamon). The answer is you can't. Sorry.
But what you can do is make you local gift deamon connect to a remote gift deamon in .giFt/ui/ui.conf
That did the trick for me:).

I came across this solution because another program made this change for me and suddenly it worked for me, then I started searching for the ip of my server (where giftd runs on) en then the ui.conf poped out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlindSpy
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Mar 2004
Posts: 263

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome guide!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Jan 2003
Posts: 113
Location: Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the lead dev of gift-FT (mkern) also develops a win32 frontend called KCeasy, which used to ship with gift-FT. However, Sharman networks sent him a cease-and-desist with regard to KCeasy, and he stopped including the fasttrack plugin. It's also looking like development has kinda died on gift-FT... so, basically, the situation is looking pretty sucky. The next time Sharman decides to change the protocol, we're screwed again.

Andrew
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 309
Location: Alabama, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celloandy wrote:
The next time Sharman decides to change the protocol, we're screwed again.

Anything but! There are many active developers for such plugins- most human resources are currently being used to develop the main giFT daemon.
kronon wrote:
I asked that my self yesterday (Hot to make apollon connect to an other gift deamon). The answer is you can't. Sorry.
But what you can do is make you local gift deamon connect to a remote gift deamon in .giFt/ui/ui.conf
That did the trick for me:).

You lazy lazy user! Tsk tsk! Hehe, that's ok, because with the new versions of giFT and its frontends in portage, we here at the Gentoo Foundation have made it easier for you to have a central giFT server! Enjoy:

Squinky's Difficulty Rating: easy
Estimated time to follow howto: 15 minutes

GiFT is a powerful peer to peer daemon with support for many popular p2p protocols. This howto will teach you how to set up a central giFT server and have all your clients connect to it.
What this howto requires:

  • >=net-p2p/gift-0.11.6-r1
  • a central "server" machine and as many clients as you want to hook up to it
  • a frontend for the clients to connect to the server
  • OPTIONAL: gift-fasttrack [for KaZaA network] gift-gnutella gift-openft


Section 1.0: Server Installation
On your server box, please emerge the latest version of giFT in portage. For this howto, you will need AT LEAST gift-0.11.6-r1.
EDIT: 0.11.6-r1 now stable in portage.
Code:
# emerge gift

GiFT will need plugins in order to be able to connect to peers. GiFT is capable of using many networks at once:
Code:
# emerge gift-fasttrack gift-gnutella gift-openft



Section 1.1: Client Installation
There are a few different frontends for giFT to chose from. My preferred one is apollon (kde/qt), but you may prefer giftui (gtk) or giftcurs (ncurses) or even giftoxic (gtk). Take your choice, we will cover each one of these in the "client useage" section. You may want to try all of them and then chose your favorite.

Section 2.0: Server Setup
On your server box, you need to get a working configuration so that giFT can run with all your requested protocols. As a regular user, run:
Code:
$ gift-setup
and follow the instructions. The main things you might want to change from default are:

  • the first question (set to non-zero so that giFT knows you have run the setup)
  • for the list of plugins, you may want to enable the ones you have just installed:
    Code:
    /main/plugins [OpenFT] OpenFT:Gnutella:FastTrack

  • incoming directory can be whatever you want to make it, I chose to just keep everything in /usr/share/giFT:
    Code:
    /download/incoming [~/.giFT/incoming] /usr/share/giFT/incoming

  • "completed downloads" directory:
    Code:
    /download/completed [~/.giFT/completed] /usr/share/giFT/completed


The config files have now been saved to ~/.giFT/ and we almost have your new p2p server set up. Last, we need to make some updates to /etc/conf.d/gift in order for everything to work properly. As I like to use /usr/share/giFT as the main repository of fun stuff to share (just to keep it all in one place), I will use it for examples here. Note that other users may prefer to put this into /usr/local. Whatever you set your incoming/share directories to be to, you may want to consider that folder for the main part of giFT. Edit /etc/conf.d/gift and change the settings how you like. Normally the defaults are fine there.
Now we're done setting up the config files! The last thing to do is to move the config files created by the above user. This can be done with a simple:
Code:
# cp -a /home/<whateveruser>/.giFT/* /usr/share/giFT/

Now all that's left to do for the server is to start the daemon:
Code:
# rc-update add gift default
# /etc/init.d/gift start


Section 2.1.0: Client Setup
There are a number of clients/frontends to chose from for the system you will be using to connect to your new giFT server. I like apollon (kde/qt-based) the best, but giftui (gtk) is also good, and so is giftcurs (ncurses).

Section 2.1.1: Apollon Setup
Apollon is a very beautiful frontend for giFT. Simply
Code:
# emerge apollon
and everything should be done for you. To connect apollon to your central server, just run:
Code:
$ apollon -s server_ip:1213
and be sure to replace server_ip with the internal address/hostname of the server computer.

Section 2.1.2: GiFTui Setup
Code:
# emerge giftui

giftui will automatically come up with a dialogue of what host you want to connect to. Just put in the information for your central server.

Section 2.1.3: GiFTcurs Setup
Code:
# emerge giftcurs

Code:
$ giFTcurs -s server_ip:1213


Section 2.1.4: GiFToxic Setup
Code:
# emerge giftoxic

Code:
$ giFToxic -s server_ip:1213


Hopefully this howto has been helpful to you and shows you a possible new use for the giFT init script, along with optimizing your home network.
_________________
Me


Last edited by Squinky86 on Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Apr 2003
Posts: 1317
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squinky86 wrote:
celloandy wrote:
The next time Sharman decides to change the protocol, we're screwed again.

Anything but! There are many active developers for such plugins- most human resources are currently being used to develop the main giFT daemon.
kronon wrote:
I asked that my self yesterday (Hot to make apollon connect to an other gift deamon). The answer is you can't. Sorry.
But what you can do is make you local gift deamon connect to a remote gift deamon in .giFt/ui/ui.conf
That did the trick for me:).

You lazy lazy user! Tsk tsk! Hehe, that's ok, because with the new versions of giFT and its frontends in portage, we here at the Gentoo Foundation have made it easier for you to have a central giFT server! Enjoy:

Squinky's Difficulty Rating: easy
Estimated time to follow howto: 15 minutes

GiFT is a powerful peer to peer daemon with support for many popular p2p protocols. This howto will teach you how to set up a central giFT server and have all your clients connect to it.
What this howto requires:

  • >=net-p2p/gift-0.11.6-r1
  • a central "server" machine and as many clients as you want to hook up to it
  • a frontend for the clients to connect to the server
  • OPTIONAL: gift-fasttrack [for KaZaA network] gift-gnutella gift-openft


Section 1.0: Server Installation
On your server box, please emerge the latest version of giFT in portage. For this howto, you will need AT LEAST gift-0.11.6-r1. 64-bit users, please use the 0.11.7 prerelease available to you, though I must warn such users that the prerelease code is experimental.
Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gift

GiFT will need plugins in order to be able to connect to peers. GiFT is capable of using many networks at once:
Code:
# emerge gift-fasttrack gift-gnutella gift-openft



Section 1.1: Client Installation
There are a few different frontends for giFT to chose from. My preferred one is apollon (kde/qt), but you may prefer giftui (gtk) or giftcurs (ncurses) or even giftoxic (gtk). Take your choice, we will cover each one of these in the "client useage" section. You may want to try all of them and then chose your favorite.

Section 2.0: Server Setup
On your server box, you need to get a working configuration so that giFT can run with all your requested protocols. As a regular user, run:
Code:
$ gift-setup
and follow the instructions. The main things you might want to change from default are:

  • the first question (set to non-zero so that giFT knows you have run the setup)
  • for the list of plugins, you may want to enable the ones you have just installed:
    Code:
    /main/plugins [OpenFT] OpenFT:Gnutella:FastTrack

  • incoming directory can be whatever you want to make it, I chose to just keep everything in /usr/share/giFT:
    Code:
    /download/incoming [~/.giFT/incoming] /usr/share/giFT/incoming

  • "completed downloads" directory:
    Code:
    /download/completed [~/.giFT/completed] /usr/share/giFT/completed


The config files have now been saved to ~/.giFT/ and we almost have your new p2p server set up. Last, we need to make some updates to /etc/conf.d/gift in order for everything to work properly. As I like to use /usr/share/giFT as the main repository of fun stuff to share (just to keep it all in one place), I will use it for examples here. Note that other users may prefer to put this into /usr/local. Whatever you set your incoming/share directories to be to, you may want to consider that folder for the main part of giFT. Edit /etc/conf.d/gift and change the settings how you like. Normally the defaults are fine there.
Now we're done setting up the config files! The last thing to do is to move the config files created by the above user. This can be done with a simple:
Code:
# cp -a /home/<whateveruser>/.giFT/* /usr/share/giFT/

Now all that's left to do for the server is to start the daemon:
Code:
# rc-update add gift default
# /etc/init.d/gift start


Section 2.1.0: Client Setup
There are a number of clients/frontends to chose from for the system you will be using to connect to your new giFT server. I like apollon (kde/qt-based) the best, but giftui (gtk) is also good, and so is giftcurs (ncurses).

Section 2.1.1: Apollon Setup
Apollon is a very beautiful frontend for giFT. Simply
Code:
# emerge apollon
and everything should be done for you. To connect apollon to your central server, just run:
Code:
$ apollon -s server_ip:1213
and be sure to replace server_ip with the internal address/hostname of the server computer.

Section 2.1.2: GiFTui Setup
Code:
# emerge giftui

giftui will automatically come up with a dialogue of what host you want to connect to. Just put in the information for your central server.

Section 2.1.3: GiFTcurs Setup
Code:
# emerge giftcurs

Code:
$ giFTcurs -s server_ip:1213


Section 2.1.4: GiFToxic Setup
Code:
# emerge giftoxic

Code:
$ giFToxic -s server_ip:1213


Hopefully this howto has been helpful to you and shows you a possible new use for the giFT init script, along with optimizing your home network.


ok i've had similar for a while under a gift user.
but using an nfs mount for the saved files and such only one person on my network (my dad) can delete the files with ease, i have to ssh in :-(

any way to set the permissions on downloaded files with gift, i couldn't find anything in the config file comments that even closely resembled it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 309
Location: Alabama, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viperlin wrote:
any way to set the permissions on downloaded files with gift, i couldn't find anything in the config file comments that even closely resembled it.


ok, sounds like you have nfs issues here, as it is nfs which gives clients the ability to write to those shared directories. Check your config files, especially make sure that /etc/exports on the server system is set up like:
Code:
/usr/share/giFT/completed ip.range.of.localnetwork(rw,no_root_squash)

and that it is being mounted properly
_________________
Me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Apr 2003
Posts: 1317
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was using "/mnt/gift 192.168.0.0/24(rw,async,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=100)"
but the no_root still doesnt work

the downloaded files are stored in a subdir

/mnt/gift/completed

when they are downloaded they are property of the gift user
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
odegard
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 324
Location: Trondheim, NO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, the reason "giftd -v" didn't work for me was that I didn't set the first value to a non-zero value (those devious developers).

Edit .giFT/config and set the first value to something else than 0 and it will start, atleast it did for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woZa
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 340
Location: The Steel City - UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have giFT installed on my server and connect to it with gift-ui from the client.

Code:
giftd -d
logged in as root on the server works fine.
Code:
giftd -d
logged in as user gift on the server works fine.

rc-update add gift default on the server shows no errors at boot time but I have to ssh into the server and run
Code:
giftd -d
before the client can connect.

If I add giftd -d to
Code:
/etc/conf.d/local.start
then I get the "setup is not complete..." error

Any ideas??

2nd problem is that Gnutella won't connect. giftd.log shows
Code:

[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_gnutella.c:352(gnutella_start): Starting Gnutella plugin
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:107(file_cache_load): loaded filecache for /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/gwebcaches. nlines = 91
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:67(file_cache_load): couldnt open /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/bad_gwebcaches for reading: No such file or directory
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:35(file_cache_new): failed loading /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/bad_gwebcaches
[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_gnutella.c:245(bind_gnutella_port): entered
[16:34:07] Gnutella: bound to port 6364
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:107(file_cache_load): loaded filecache for /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/stable_nodes. nlines = 0
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:107(file_cache_load): loaded filecache for /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/recent_nodes. nlines = 0
[16:34:07] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[16:34:07] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_web_cache.c:809(gt_web_cache_update): Not updating webcaches: servent 204 days old
[16:34:07] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[16:34:17] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[16:34:17] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[16:34:17] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[16:34:27] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[16:34:27] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[16:34:27] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...


and on and on and on...

I have tried the Gnutella plugin on its own but the same error applies. Latest versions of all plugins and gift.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance
_________________
A few months struggling with gentoo is better than a lifetime struggling with windoze!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Apr 2003
Posts: 1317
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woZa wrote:
I have giFT installed on my server and connect to it with gift-ui from the client.

Code:
giftd -d
logged in as root on the server works fine.
Code:
giftd -d
logged in as user gift on the server works fine.

rc-update add gift default on the server shows no errors at boot time but I have to ssh into the server and run
Code:
giftd -d
before the client can connect.

If I add giftd -d to
Code:
/etc/conf.d/local.start
then I get the "setup is not complete..." error

Any ideas??

2nd problem is that Gnutella won't connect. giftd.log shows
Code:

[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_gnutella.c:352(gnutella_start): Starting Gnutella plugin
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:107(file_cache_load): loaded filecache for /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/gwebcaches. nlines = 91
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:67(file_cache_load): couldnt open /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/bad_gwebcaches for reading: No such file or directory
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:35(file_cache_new): failed loading /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/bad_gwebcaches
[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_gnutella.c:245(bind_gnutella_port): entered
[16:34:07] Gnutella: bound to port 6364
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:107(file_cache_load): loaded filecache for /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/stable_nodes. nlines = 0
[16:34:07] Gnutella: file_cache.c:107(file_cache_load): loaded filecache for /home/gift/.giFT/Gnutella/recent_nodes. nlines = 0
[16:34:07] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[16:34:07] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_web_cache.c:809(gt_web_cache_update): Not updating webcaches: servent 204 days old
[16:34:07] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[16:34:17] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[16:34:17] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[16:34:17] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[16:34:27] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[16:34:27] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[16:34:27] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...


and on and on and on...

I have tried the Gnutella plugin on its own but the same error applies. Latest versions of all plugins and gift.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance


first it would be "rc-update add giftd default"

but there is no startup script for gift last time i looked (i just looked on my pc, there is no /etc/init.d/giftd here)

gnutella seems to be trying to use a file that doesnt exist. i do not have this file and do not know what options you are using for it to want this file :-)

hope some of that helped, lets see what others can do :-D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woZa
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 340
Location: The Steel City - UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
cat /etc/init.d/gift


Code:
#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-p2p/gift/files/gift.initd,v 1.3 2004/07/15 00:20:21 agriffis Exp $

depend() {
        need net
}

start() {
        ebegin "Starting giFTd"
        start-stop-daemon --quiet --start -c ${USER} --make-pidfile \
                --pidfile /var/run/giftd.pid --exec /usr/bin/giftd -- \
                --local-dir=${SHAREDIR} &>${LOG} &
        renice ${NICE} -u ${USER} >/dev/null
        eend $?
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Stopping giFTd - please wait"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/giftd.pid
        eend $?
}

restart() {
        svc_stop
        sleep 10
        svc_start
}


It is this error that I am suspicious about

Code:
[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_web_cache.c:809(gt_web_cache_update): Not updating webcaches: servent 204 days old


The file/folder it can't find is just the bad gwebcaches. Don't think this is the problem... :?
_________________
A few months struggling with gentoo is better than a lifetime struggling with windoze!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pseud
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Posts: 273
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like my Apollon never manages to connect to the Gnutella and OpenFT networks (and FastTrack sucks, IMO)
What do I do?

TIA
_________________
eschew obfuscation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poormanscomputer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 May 2002
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[16:34:07] Gnutella: gt_web_cache.c:809(gt_web_cache_update): Not updating webcaches: servent 204 days old


I'm getting this too. I have my Gnutella.conf and all the files in my ~/ and /usr/share/giFT directories...anyone have any ideas?

poorman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jessejames187
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(not sure if this has been asked elsewhere)

I downloaded a few files with giFT/Apollon.. .and I went to the file that it said they should be in, and nothing... nada... zip. It said it downloaded them too =(.

Anyone know what I n00bed up? or is it a real bug or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 309
Location: Alabama, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessejames187 wrote:
I downloaded a few files with giFT/Apollon.. .and I went to the file that it said they should be in, and nothing... nada... zip. It said it downloaded them too =(.

# updatedb
# locate <filename>
see if your computer can find it anywhere :)

As for the giftd init script, that is only suggested for if you have a central server you want your frontends to connect to, and you have to create the giftd.conf manually as it is impossible to know what frontends you will be using. You could just copy one from ~/.giFT/giftd.conf after running gift-setup though.
_________________
Me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poormanscomputer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 May 2002
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blaksaga
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 461
Location: Omaha, NE, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...all of the files I have tried to download got tossed in the corrupt folder...and they're all fucked up to. Something is seriously wrong with gift.

Also, I haev not been able to connect to gnutella. Originally I would get a "Cannot write gnutella.conf" or something similar when running gift-setup but found it was because of permissions. After a quick chown and chmod, I was able to rerun gift-setup and it seemed to work...even though it still won't connect to gnutella.

*sigh

Edit: I think it might be fake shit or something because when I search for a song I come up with a couple hundred results...all from the same two or three users.

/me heads back to IRC to download music :)
_________________
[ blaksaga.com ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kavau
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Gnutella can't connect Reply with quote

I've set up giftd, run gift-setup and all that, but the Gnutella plugin keeps complaining:
Code:

[15:34:27] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[15:34:27] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[15:34:27] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...

I get this message every 10 seconds, and Gnutella is not able to make any connections. This question has popped up quite a few times on this and similar threads, but I've not found a satisfying answer so far. :(

It seems to me that Gnutella isn't even trying to connect to all the hosts in the webcache file. Is it not able to parse the file for some reason?

Please help! Thx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PwNeR
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having this same problem...

Code:

[18:27:45] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[18:27:45] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[18:27:55] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[18:27:55] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[18:27:55] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[18:28:05] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[18:28:05] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...
[18:28:05] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...


Anyone have a solution? :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
arcadionus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: no gnutella :( Reply with quote

me too:

[00:56:18] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[00:56:18] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[00:56:18] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...

Yet fasttrack anf openft seem to work fine. I could post my
apropriate config-files, if requested.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xcript
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 9
Location: BC, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: no gnutella :( Reply with quote

arcadionus wrote:
me too:

[00:56:18] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[00:56:18] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[00:56:18] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...

Yet fasttrack anf openft seem to work fine.

Yup. Same here. :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robg
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 32
Location: Saskatoon, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: no gnutella :( Reply with quote

arcadionus wrote:
me too:

[00:56:18] Gnutella: Retrying to connect to nodes...
[00:56:18] Gnutella: try_some_nodes() returned 0. node list len=0
[00:56:18] Gnutella: No hosts to try. Looking in gwebcaches...

Yet fasttrack anf openft seem to work fine. I could post my
apropriate config-files, if requested.


I poked around the giFT site on Sourceforge and found out that there is apparently a bug which doesn't allow gift-gnutella to process entries in gwebcache. And this is further complicated by the problem that the nodes file in the current release is empty.

This thread on sourceforge discusses the problem.

In short to fix gnutella, obtain a current node and gwebcache file and update the Gnutella directory in your working giFT directory. You can obtain sample files from:

http://mikeb.servehttp.com/nodes
http://mikeb.servehttp.com/gwebcaches
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum