Joined: 10 Jan 2004
|Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:06 pm Post subject: ESP CUPS drivers
|if the standard printer drivers included with cups don't suit your needs, as was the case for me, give the real ESP cups drivers a try.
1) go here and click the "download software" button.
2) don't bother downloading the software... on the next page just click the "download drivers" button.
3) click the link for your printer manufacturer and download the associated tar.gz file.
4) tar xzf the bad boy. there should be a printpro-MANUFACTURER.ss file in there.
5) run tar xpf on this file. in your current directory, it should create usr/share/cups/model. enter this directory and voila... a whole sh!tload of drivers... grab the appropriate one for your printer and place it in /usr/share/cups/model.
6) reconfigure your printer to use the new driver. (you may need to restart cupsd first.)
the drivers included with cups are quite generic and do not allow one to access the extra features of your specific printer. these drivers are all customized to a specific printer model and thus contain many more configuration options.
perhaps this is old news, but i hope it helps someone!
this is what you get.