Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
which live-cd for older mac?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gruad
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Jun 2004
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: which live-cd for older mac? Reply with quote

Hallo,

I'm a strict linux-guy (on x86) and never had to deal with a mac. Now I got my hands on an old iBook (~3 years old, 400MHz, currently running OS 9.1 or something like that) and want to boot (not install !!) linux.
My google-search lead me to gentoo livecd for ppc, but I also discoverd unfamiliar terms like "old world" and "new world" and that there are some problems with "old world"-machines and newer live-cd-releases and that there might be troubles to get the mac booting from the cd without a extra boot-disk and stuff like that.
I looked at the gentoo-mirrors and there are several version I could download:

install-universal-2004.0
packages-ppc-2004.0
packages-g3-2004.0
packages-g4-2004.0

install-ppc-universal-2004.1

G3-GRP-1.4
G4-GRP-1.4
ppc-1.4

ppc-1.2

It would be very nice if somebody could point me to the correct version for my mac and tell me how to boot from cd then (I will burn the image on my linux-machine)

while this is not the best place to ask here: how do I boot a cd on mac? I assume that mac does not have a bios-setup where I need to alter the boot-order? Last time I failed to produce a @ on the mac-keyboard, so please be very detailed ;)

thnx a lot,
peter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruda
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 May 2004
Posts: 376
Location: Sherbrooke, QC, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: which live-cd for older mac? Reply with quote

gruad wrote:
Now I got my hands on an old iBook (~3 years old, 400MHz, currently running OS 9.1 or something like that) and want to boot (not install !!) linux. My google-search lead me to gentoo livecd for ppc, but I also discoverd unfamiliar terms like "old world" and "new world"


All the iBooks are new world, you should have no problems booting the Gentoo CDs.

Quote:
I looked at the gentoo-mirrors and there are several version I could download:

install-ppc-universal-2004.1


This is what I use to install Gentoo and as a rescue CD (did not have the "opportunity" to rescue anything since moving to Gentoo actually, but this is what I would have used).

Quote:
It would be very nice if somebody could point me to the correct version for my mac and tell me how to boot from cd then (I will burn the image on my linux-machine)


To boot from CD hold the key c during the boot sequence.

Quote:
I assume that mac does not have a bios-setup where I need to alter the boot-order? Last time I failed to produce a @ on the mac-keyboard, so please be very detailed ;)


Macs use OpenFirmware as BIOS. There is no setup interface like on the PC but you have a language (Forth!) at your service. To reach the OF interpreter hold Command-Option-o-f during the boot sequence. See then

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html
http://www.netneurotic.net/mac/openfirmware.html
http://bananajr6000.apple.com/OF/technotes.html
_________________
Quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum