Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo 2004.1 on PowerPC G3 beige
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2004.1 on PowerPC G3 beige Reply with quote

I have successfully installed 2004.0 on my G3 DT 300 beige. It even boots with miboot. After that I thought I might try out 2004.1 but there is something I don't understand: I log into the 2004.1 livecd with root and leave the password empty - which to my surprise does not work ... It _did_ work with 2004.0 but there's got to be something wrong with 2004.1 (and the beige G3). It keeps asking for a password. But what password?
Anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alok
n00b
n00b


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 38
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, you dont' have to reinstall gentoo, just type:

Code:
emerge -uD world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alok wrote:
dude, you dont' have to reinstall gentoo, just type:

Code:
emerge -uD world


Hm - somehow true tho I wanted to install Gentoo on XFS which is not possible with 2004.0 ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 1663
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have a 2004.0 system. Your first emerge sync after installation changed that. Release numbers are only relevant for CDs, not the systems that are constantly being upgraded.

Why do want to reinstall for a simple change of filesystem? What's wrong with making a backup, changing the filesystem type to whatever you want, and putting the backup back in place? I mean, we're talking a week for a complete stage1 install on that hardware of yours, why wouldn't you rather get where you want in an hour or so?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
You don't have a 2004.0 system. Your first emerge sync after installation changed that. Release numbers are only relevant for CDs, not the systems that are constantly being upgraded.

Why do want to reinstall for a simple change of filesystem? What's wrong with making a backup, changing the filesystem type to whatever you want, and putting the backup back in place? I mean, we're talking a week for a complete stage1 install on that hardware of yours, why wouldn't you rather get where you want in an hour or so?


Well, true :) I was thinking in the wrong direction. Sometimes life can really be simple.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrdavedog
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your original question you need to pass cdroot to the kernel when booting from the 2004.1 Live CD. It will just drop you into the root prompt, no logging in necessary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mox2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdavedog wrote:
To answer your original question you need to pass cdroot to the kernel when booting from the 2004.1 Live CD. It will just drop you into the root prompt, no logging in necessary


How do I do this? What I did was this:
Code:
init="/linuxrc cdroot"
but that did not work. What would be the correct syntax then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrdavedog
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you need to remove the quote marks. I'm not sitting in front of my beige G3 so I can't verify that. I'm pretty sure though that with the quotes the kernel will interpret "/linuxrc cdroot" as a single argument, when you are in fact trying to pass two arguments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum