Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Install freenx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WhimpyPeon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 158
Location: Columbus, Nebraska

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you having problems after successful emerge you might want to check your /etc/shadow file and change "nx:!:" to "nx:*:". I wish I could tell you what that does, but I am just passing on a tip that worked for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dunkleself
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
I too suffered a freenx authentication issue,

Code:
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.


until 2 minutes ago 8) I had ssh not OpenSSH installed. Once I emerged OpenSSH, I could authenticate with my freenx server.

I spent the most of today attempting to fix this and then thought to see what ssh i was running, I really wish I had thought of this in the morning, instead of wasting 5 hours. :oops:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brot
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Posts: 322

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Hi :)

Nice that such a Thread exists, i tried this (very nice) tool on my own, but i was not sucessful... I am getting the same error everytime and have no idea

Quote:
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 8995
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.0.1 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-04-CVS OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.4.0
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.4.0
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: brot
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: router user: brot
NX> 105 listsession --user="brot" --status="Suspended","Running" --geometry="1280x1024x24+render" --type="unix-console"
NX> 127 Sessions list of user 'brot' for reconnect:

Display Type Session ID Options Depth Screen Status Session Name
------- ---------------- -------------------------------- -------- ----- -------------- ----------- ------------------------------


NX> 148 Server capacity: not reached for user: brot
NX> 105 startsession --session="router" --type="unix-application" --application="" --cache="8M" --images="32M" --cookie="aade48283df260891e9529d7497b3330" --link="wan" --virtualdesktop="1" --kbtype="pc102/de" --nodelay="1" --backingstore="when_requested" --geometry="1024x768+128+95" --media="0" --agent_server="" --agent_user="" --agent_password="" --screeninfo="1024x768x24+render"

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).


Maybe someone knows what i am doing wrong. thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2870
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea if someone is working on 1.5.0 ebuilds?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hideki
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Mar 2003
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are couple bug reports about the new nx versions.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98591
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99721

This version I've been particularly looking forward since

it says it supports resume/suspend properly
it gives true color support for rdp proxy mode

and a bunch of other upgrades listed at the official web (http://freenx.berlios.de/)

So, it hopefully gets into the tree quick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hideki
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Mar 2003
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they're waiting on the 0.4.3 release.

From the bugzilla comment :
Quote:

Due to changes to snapshot 4 and the final !M nx release, 0.4.1 & 0.4.2 does not
work with the final 1.5.0 backend, so don't apply the patch. Keep it though, as
0.4.3 is supposed to fix this when it is released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2870
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.4.3 is available at:

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/

linux-linux and windows-windows suspend/resume works. But the desirable feature where you can resume sessions created from windows (or linux) on linux (or windows) STILL doesn't work. The problem seems to be X11 visuals which don't match across these two platforms.

If you always are going to resume/suspend from one type of machine, you are good to go. And its FREAKING fast (even dial up feels like 5mbps), no doubt about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trebiani
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 132
Location: Graz, AT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
0.4.3 is available at:

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/

linux-linux and windows-windows suspend/resume works. But the desirable feature where you can resume sessions created from windows (or linux) on linux (or windows) STILL doesn't work. The problem seems to be X11 visuals which don't match across these two platforms.

If you always are going to resume/suspend from one type of machine, you are good to go. And its FREAKING fast (even dial up feels like 5mbps), no doubt about that.

where can i get an ebuild file?
and why is there nothing mentioned about a 0.4.3 release on http://freenx.berlios.de/?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make an ebuild for 0.43, rename a previous version's ebuild and put it in your portage overlay. ;) And don't forget to move the patch there as well.

I also noticed that it takes awhile for that site to list the updated version. I read something about that on a mailing list somewhere, but I forget. Just google for the answer to that question, that is how I found it. :)

Cheers.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alinv
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Nov 2002
Posts: 395
Location: Bucharest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about nxclient-1.5.0?
Any news on that?
_________________
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
S.B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trebiani
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 132
Location: Graz, AT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
To make an ebuild for 0.43, rename a previous version's ebuild and put it in your portage overlay. ;) And don't forget to move the patch there as well.
Cheers.

do i need to update nx-x11, nxssh, nxproxy and nxclient too?
if yes: how?

many thanx,
treb

update:
freeNX is great! i updated nxserver-freenx to version 0.4.3 and all my gnome problems are gone!
and it's fast!


Last edited by Trebiani on Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using version 1.4.0 of the NX stuff. I am waiting for the 1.5.0. There are ebuilds (well, for a RC release, but you just need to edit the file name and then change a few version numbers in the ebuils) in bugzilla for them, but I am waiting for more test reports on them first.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmohn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 116
Location: Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeNX is awesomely fast and simple! My only question now is how to get the font on my aterm to be terminus like it is when I run aterm locally. I'm using xorg with FontPath set to "unix/:-1" on my local X. I've tried settings in /usr/NX/etc/node.conf such as:

Code:
AGENT_FONT_SERVER="unix/:-1"

or
Code:
AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X="-fp /usr/share/fonts"


but nothing seems to affect it.

I've also read the KB article http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11B00071 on "Using different font servers in NX", but I don't fully understand the implications of it. Can I copy the Linux terminus font files to my office Windows box to make this work?

Cheers -RPM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I made my own ebuilds for the nx components 1.5.0, but now when I try to connect to the server with a client, I get a "cookie mismatch in the authentication data" Warning and then the client fails to connect. I am using version 0.4.4 of FreeNX. Does anyone know how to fix this? If not, I need to revert back to version 1.4.0 of the nx components so I can have a working system. This is a big pain in the rear. -_-'

Thanks
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2870
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
Okay, I made my own ebuilds for the nx components 1.5.0, but now when I try to connect to the server with a client, I get a "cookie mismatch in the authentication data" Warning and then the client fails to connect. I am using version 0.4.4 of FreeNX. Does anyone know how to fix this? If not, I need to revert back to version 1.4.0 of the nx components so I can have a working system. This is a big pain in the rear. -_-'

Thanks
grep ENABLE_BACKEND_1.5.0 in node.conf(.sample) and set it to '1'.

Last edited by devsk on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in /usr/NX/etc/node.conf.sample and that option is not there. I will see about copying over the file manually from the compressed file.

EDIT: It works. :D Thanks. I even have sound working in the remote desktops and suspend is suppose to wirk with that patch, we'll see. :D w00t!

Anyways, if you want the ebuilds for the final release of NX v1.5.0 and FreeNX v0.4.4, then you can DL them here:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101691
I finally got around to uploading them with bug fixes. :)
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trebiani
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 132
Location: Graz, AT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
I looked in /usr/NX/etc/node.conf.sample and that option is not there. I will see about copying over the file manually from the compressed file.

EDIT: It works. :D Thanks. I even have sound working in the remote desktops and suspend is suppose to wirk with that patch, we'll see. :D w00t!

Anyways, if you want the ebuilds for the final release of NX v1.5.0 and FreeNX v0.4.4, then you can DL them here:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101691
I finally got around to uploading them with bug fixes. :)


how is suspend working?
i'm sure if it's the right thing to upgrade my current installation now. but suspending and resuming sessions would be so nice!

there are many ebuilds "floating" around (e.g. @bugs.gentoo.org) - which set of ebuilds do i really need and what packages do i have to update?
or is there a release plan to put the ebuilds into portage?

cheers,
treb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had a chance to test the suspend feature yet. I know Fabian is rewriting that part of FreeNX from scratch for the 0.5.0 release. I will test it sometime, but I really don't need to shut off my Linux display. I have programs running 24/7 and a 24/7 connection. I don't think it suspends if the Windows machine crashes and the connection is lost. I know I read that on the email list.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. I should have just uploaded a tarball of my portage overlay in that bug report instead of the individual ebuilds and patches, but I didn't know if they allowed that or not. You need to DL all the ebuilds and patches. You need all these:
nx-x11 v1.5.0 ebuild
Patch to add resume support for Windows clients
nxclient v1.5.0 ebuild
nxcomp v1.5.0 ebuild
nxproxy v1.5.0 ebuild
FreeNX v0.4.4 ebuild
nxssh v1.5.0 ebuild
freenx-0.4.4-adduser-fix.patch

However, I did not upload all the patches. Some of the patches are in the portage tree, but those patches need to be copied to the Portage Overlay as well. You can look at the ebuilds and see which ones are not included on the bug report and simply transfer them over. There is a patch in the FreeNX ebuild that is not in Portage, it's in the actual FreeNX tarball, so you don't need to worry about that one. ;)

I hope that was clear. I know I can be a bit confusing at times.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trebiani
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 132
Location: Graz, AT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
I know Fabian is rewriting that part of FreeNX from scratch for the 0.5.0 release

.... hmm, maybe i should wait for the release ....

StifflerStealth wrote:
I hope that was clear. I know I can be a bit confusing at times.

thanks a lot for the details - it's very clear now!. i'll test it this week on my testserver and if everything is working fine i'll update my production server.

cheers,
treb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mwalma
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:


Yeah, it is a bit confusing. I should have just uploaded a tarball of my portage overlay in that bug report instead of the individual ebuilds and patches, but I didn't know if they allowed that or not. You need to DL all the ebuilds and patches. You need all these:
nx-x11 v1.5.0 ebuild
Patch to add resume support for Windows clients
nxclient v1.5.0 ebuild
nxcomp v1.5.0 ebuild
nxproxy v1.5.0 ebuild
FreeNX v0.4.4 ebuild
nxssh v1.5.0 ebuild
freenx-0.4.4-adduser-fix.patch

However, I did not upload all the patches. Some of the patches are in the portage tree, but those patches need to be copied to the Portage Overlay as well. You can look at the ebuilds and see which ones are not included on the bug report and simply transfer them over. There is a patch in the FreeNX ebuild that is not in Portage, it's in the actual FreeNX tarball, so you don't need to worry about that one. ;)

I hope that was clear. I know I can be a bit confusing at times.


I recreated the directory structure in Portage Overlay and downloaded your ebuilds and applied the patch to get the nxserver-freenx v0.4.4 and then tried emerging it. nx-x11 v1.5 emerged fine, but nxproxy, which was next, failed to compile. Gcc stopped unable to find "NX.h". I noticed that there was an NX.h in /usr/X11/include which resolved the compile problem, but then nxproxy would not link.

Quote:
i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lXcomp


I am guessing that the configure script is not finding and adding the right include and lib directories, but I haven't investigated any further.

If there is a quick fix, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2870
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwalma wrote:
StifflerStealth wrote:


Yeah, it is a bit confusing. I should have just uploaded a tarball of my portage overlay in that bug report instead of the individual ebuilds and patches, but I didn't know if they allowed that or not. You need to DL all the ebuilds and patches. You need all these:
nx-x11 v1.5.0 ebuild
Patch to add resume support for Windows clients
nxclient v1.5.0 ebuild
nxcomp v1.5.0 ebuild
nxproxy v1.5.0 ebuild
FreeNX v0.4.4 ebuild
nxssh v1.5.0 ebuild
freenx-0.4.4-adduser-fix.patch

However, I did not upload all the patches. Some of the patches are in the portage tree, but those patches need to be copied to the Portage Overlay as well. You can look at the ebuilds and see which ones are not included on the bug report and simply transfer them over. There is a patch in the FreeNX ebuild that is not in Portage, it's in the actual FreeNX tarball, so you don't need to worry about that one. ;)

I hope that was clear. I know I can be a bit confusing at times.


I recreated the directory structure in Portage Overlay and downloaded your ebuilds and applied the patch to get the nxserver-freenx v0.4.4 and then tried emerging it. nx-x11 v1.5 emerged fine, but nxproxy, which was next, failed to compile. Gcc stopped unable to find "NX.h". I noticed that there was an NX.h in /usr/X11/include which resolved the compile problem, but then nxproxy would not link.

Quote:
i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lXcomp


I am guessing that the configure script is not finding and adding the right include and lib directories, but I haven't investigated any further.

If there is a quick fix, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Michael

ebuild should be modified to export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/NX/lib...you can:

Code:
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/NX/lib emerge nxproxy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahha. I found out why it works for me. nxclient sets all the pathes correctly.

Hmm. I think the nx-x11 should set the pathes instead. I will make the changes. :)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mwalma
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
This is odd. I don't need to export that LD Flag, and I do not even have a /usr/NX/include dir. I included in the ebuild the nxcomp package which is extracted and placed int eh work dir for nx proxy. all the libs and header files are there, so it should all link up and compile.

Code:
src_compile() {

 cd ../nxcomp
 econf --prefix="/usr/NX/" || die "Unable to configure nxcomp"
 emake || die "Unable to build nxcomp"

 cd ../nxproxy
 ./configure

 emake || die "compile problem"
}
So, all the files needed for this to compile should be in that work dir. I just recompiled and checked this. I do not have nxcomp installed at all. I know I compiled nx-x11 first.

Hmm. How can this work on my PC and not others? :S


Okay, somehow, I do not know how, I managed to download a different ebuild for nxproxy-1.5.0. I re-downloaded it, and it seems to be compiling fine.

Sorry for the confusion, I wish I knew how it happened. :oops:

I better go back and check the other ebuilds....

Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had what I previously written. I changed it. I think the changes I made are logical anyways. I basically made a change with the ebuilds so that the pathes get installed with the nx-x11 ebuild instead of nxclient. It just makes more sense that way. But the older ebuilds are still there if peolpe want to use them. Just read my last four comments and I give an explanation. :)

Glad you got it working.
_________________
Nothing to read in this sig. Move along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dufeu
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Aug 2002
Posts: 898
Location: US-FL-EST

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Cookie mismatch in authentication data Reply with quote

I believe I have correctly installed freenx server on the machine I want to log into.

The server machine has "nxserver-freenx-0.4.4" installed. {Gentoo GNU/Linux w/2.6.12.1 kernel - KDE 3.4.2}

The client machine has "nxclient-1.5.0" for Windows installed. {WinXP SP2}

I did find where someone else had the same message and they were told to upgrade freenx to 0.4.3.

This is the log from the connection attempt:

Code:
NXPROXY - Version 1.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2005 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '2228'.
Info: Synchronizing local and remote caches.
Info: Handshaking with remote proxy completed.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Using lan link parameters 16384/8/0/0.
Info: Using pack method '16m-jpeg-9' with session 'unix-kde'.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using remote ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using persistent cache.
Info: Starting X protocol compression.
Warning: Cookie mismatch in the authentication data.
Info: End of session requested by remote proxy.
Info: Shutting down the link and exiting.


Advice please!

:-)
_________________
People whom think M$ is mediocre, don't know the half of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 10 of 30

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum