Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Install freenx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 6553
Location: Japanifornia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from DT&T at request of stuherbert.
_________________
For every higher wall, there is a taller ladder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonofzeus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting this while trying to emerge:

Code:

# emerge nxserver-freenx

Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.2 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) freenx-0.2.tar.gz
 * Adding user 'nx' to your system ...
 *  - Userid: 101
 * A shell was specified but it does not exist !
 
!!! ERROR: net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.2 failed.
!!! Function enewuser, Line 641, Exitcode 0
!!! /usr/NX/bin/nxserver does not exist



any ideas??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stuherbert
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 47
Location: Pontypridd, South Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please remember that

a) FreeNX is beta software. Fabian is kindly looking into the bugs as we find them, but for now please accept that the software isn't perfect.
b) FreeNX is built on top of beta software - the v1.4 NX libraries from NoMachine.com.
c) NX 1.4's suspend / resume functionality isn't equivalent to what you can do with Terminal Services / Remote Desktop on Windows. Any apps open in suspended sessions stop running until the session is resumed.
d) FreeNX is currently package masked in Portage. We do that when packages have unresolved security issues, and/or when they don't work.

The new PAM authentication support doesn't work yet. I'm looking into why. For the moment, you need to

nxserver --useradd <user>
nxserver --passwd <user>

so that you can login.

Look at http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/admin-guide.php if you need documentation on how to use NX / FreeNX.

Best regards,
Stu
_________________
--
stuart@gentoo.org
Gentoo Developer
Trustee, Gentoo Foundation
http://blog.stuartherbert.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuherbert wrote:
Please please please remember that
a) FreeNX is beta software. Fabian is kindly looking into the bugs as we find them, but for now please accept that the software isn't perfect.
I know it's beta, but I want to learn all about it as much as possible, because I think this software is going to beat out all the other remote X11 protocols out there. That is why I also want to help find the bugs in it to help out. I know that I am new to it and I do not understand it that well, but that makes me the perfect beta tester because I know I will screw it up and when I do, I will screw it up big time. :P

I was able to get Thunderbird to work. I had to take it out floating window mode and use the other option. Then I set the display to 800x600. There is a thin black bar at the bottom, but oh well. I tried passing it the options: -width 800 -height 600, but it wouldn't even start then. I think it is an error with Thunderbird because I tried to start it via the command line with those options and it would start, but the widht and height settings did not get set.

This is a bug for me at least. Nothing works in "Floating Window Mode". A window would appear and it would start up as small as a window it could be and I would need to resize it, but then the program would not be centered in it.

Also, konqueror would be off center in the window no matter what settings I used.

The KDE desktop works great and very fast though, so I am happy with that. I have not tried to do a full screen yet on my Windows PC because it is a Widescreen display. Could the Widescreen be the reason the programs are not centered in that NXClient window?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree but without anyone to test, ask questions there wont be any problems to fix because no one will use it. when i updated the nx-x11 to 1.4.0-r1 everything broke and i was getting proxy and nxnode problems and i cannot down grade i treid to change it in package.keywords but it wont let me go back to 1.4.0 and this is making me rather sad because it no longer works. i understand about the session stuff and i think this is working rather well. i've been learning so much from this playing with the actual nxserver executable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stuherbert
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 47
Location: Pontypridd, South Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
I was able to get Thunderbird to work. I had to take it out floating window mode and use the other option. Then I set the display to 800x600. There is a thin black bar at the bottom, but oh well. I tried passing it the options: -width 800 -height 600, but it wouldn't even start then. I think it is an error with Thunderbird because I tried to start it via the command line with those options and it would start, but the widht and height settings did not get set.

This is a bug for me at least. Nothing works in "Floating Window Mode". A window would appear and it would start up as small as a window it could be and I would need to resize it, but then the program would not be centered in it.

Also, konqueror would be off center in the window no matter what settings I used.


Bugs like these are nothing to do with FreeNX. FreeNX is actually a very small (but very important!) piece of glue; a few K of code compared to the 30+Mb of the supporting libraries. And FreeNX just manages connections and sessions. Anything to do with drawing stuff is handled by the supporting libraries.

StifflerStealth wrote:
The KDE desktop works great and very fast though, so I am happy with that. I have not tried to do a full screen yet on my Windows PC because it is a Widescreen display. Could the Widescreen be the reason the programs are not centered in that NXClient window?


I'm writing this right now on a widescreen laptop running Windows, connecting through to my NX server. Never ever had a problem with NX and widescreen.

Best regards,
Stu
_________________
--
stuart@gentoo.org
Gentoo Developer
Trustee, Gentoo Foundation
http://blog.stuartherbert.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stuherbert
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 47
Location: Pontypridd, South Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jd5419 wrote:
I agree but without anyone to test, ask questions there wont be any problems to fix because no one will use it.


Are you kidding? FreeNX has to be the most hyped open-source release this year :)

jd5419 wrote:
when i updated the nx-x11 to 1.4.0-r1 everything broke and i was getting proxy and nxnode problems and i cannot down grade i treid to change it in package.keywords but it wont let me go back to 1.4.0 and this is making me rather sad because it no longer works. i understand about the session stuff and i think this is working rather well. i've been learning so much from this playing with the actual nxserver executable.


package.keywords has nothing at all to do with masked packages.
Code:
man portage
will help you find the right config file to work with.

There's no point downgrading to nx-x11-1.4.0. I'm removing that version from Portage. Post the problem you're having, so we can fix it for you.

Best regards,
Stu
_________________
--
stuart@gentoo.org
Gentoo Developer
Trustee, Gentoo Foundation
http://blog.stuartherbert.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stuherbert
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 47
Location: Pontypridd, South Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonofzeus wrote:
i'm getting this while trying to emerge:

Code:

# emerge nxserver-freenx

Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.2 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) freenx-0.2.tar.gz
 * Adding user 'nx' to your system ...
 *  - Userid: 101
 * A shell was specified but it does not exist !
 
!!! ERROR: net-misc/nxserver-freenx-0.2 failed.
!!! Function enewuser, Line 641, Exitcode 0
!!! /usr/NX/bin/nxserver does not exist



any ideas??


This is fixed in the nxserver-freenx-0.2.1 ebuild.

Best regards,
Stu
_________________
--
stuart@gentoo.org
Gentoo Developer
Trustee, Gentoo Foundation
http://blog.stuartherbert.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its hyped yet i seemed to have found that my trying to get this to go was not meant to be? i misread/understood earlier posts. i just got home i'll see whats going on :-D i didnt mean to unmask anything btw i wanted to use earlier version :-D



Error: Cannot load symbols from NX library 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0'. Error is '0²/NX/lib/libXcomp.so.1.4.0: undefined symbol: NXBind'.




i got this clientside after clickikng details, is this my computer's client doing this or is it server?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stuherbert
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 47
Location: Pontypridd, South Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jd5419 wrote:
I know its hyped yet i seemed to have found that my trying to get this to go was not meant to be? i misread/understood earlier posts. i just got home i'll see whats going on :-D i didnt mean to unmask anything btw i wanted to use earlier version :-D



Error: Cannot load symbols from NX library 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0'. Error is '0²/NX/lib/libXcomp.so.1.4.0: undefined symbol: NXBind'.




i got this clientside after clickikng details, is this my computer's client doing this or is it server?


None of the Gentoo ebuilds should install libXcomp.so.1.4.0. For the moment, we're using v1.3.2 of libXcomp. What did you do to get this on your machine?
_________________
--
stuart@gentoo.org
Gentoo Developer
Trustee, Gentoo Foundation
http://blog.stuartherbert.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stuherbert
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Posts: 47
Location: Pontypridd, South Wales

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those looking for nxsetup ...

My ebuilds do not install nxsetup, because the ebuilds do the work that nxsetup is there to do.

If you really want to run nxsetup by hand, you can find it in the freenx tarball in your DISTFILES directory. However, don't forget that Portage can't track files created by nxsetup - so when you run it, you're adding clutter to your machine.

Best regards,
Stu
_________________
--
stuart@gentoo.org
Gentoo Developer
Trustee, Gentoo Foundation
http://blog.stuartherbert.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuherbert wrote:
jd5419 wrote:
I know its hyped yet i seemed to have found that my trying to get this to go was not meant to be? i misread/understood earlier posts. i just got home i'll see whats going on :-D i didnt mean to unmask anything btw i wanted to use earlier version :-D



Error: Cannot load symbols from NX library 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0'. Error is '0²/NX/lib/libXcomp.so.1.4.0: undefined symbol: NXBind'.




i got this clientside after clickikng details, is this my computer's client doing this or is it server?


None of the Gentoo ebuilds should install libXcomp.so.1.4.0. For the moment, we're using v1.3.2 of libXcomp. What did you do to get this on your machine?



good question, its probably somthing i was messing with... i dont understand how it could have happened but it did :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my windows client it autherizes and is on negotiating link parameters when it times out... and on my linux box's client it says session he04 failed, and is still blabbing about the symbles problem.

i just realized i had 1.4.0 for a client on my machine *oops* and i put that back down to 1.3.2 and now it is reporting proxy not found. please check configuration whats this all about?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my server,
he04 / # nxproxy
Error: Cannot open NX transport library 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0'. Error is 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.


whats this asbout


howabout:

he04 lib # nxdesktop
nxdesktop: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/NX/lib/libXcompext.so.1: undefined symbol: _NXEnableCleanGet
he04 lib #


these normal?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StifflerStealth
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Jul 2002
Posts: 968

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuherbert wrote:
For those looking for nxsetup ...

My ebuilds do not install nxsetup, because the ebuilds do the work that nxsetup is there to do.
Yay! I guessed right in a previous post that the ebuilds did everything for you. I love ebuilds, because they do all the work for me. :P :D You can tell I am in a good mood.

Oh, on the FreeNX server computer, I am using nxclient 1.4 and I have not had any problems so far, so I see no reason to downgrade the version. I am even running version 1.4 of the Windows client and it works better. I am not saying all mu problems are fixed, but I am saying that it is better that the 1.3.x client. Just food for thought.

Thanks for all your hard work, Stu. :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went from it working to not working at all with all kinds of errors ::searches for the .1 i had and wonders why it isnt working :(:: i'm getting all sorts of errors and help is appreachated :-D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WhimpyPeon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 158
Location: Columbus, Nebraska

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried about everthing on getting this to work. After several failed attempts I emerge -C'd all the NX ebuilds. I deleted any left over NX stuff and removed the nx user from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

I then emerged the newest nxserver 0.2.1 which also installed all the client stuff. I tried without adding a user (nxserver --adduser) and with adding a user. I wasn't able to do the nxserver --passwd because it appears to be depriciated.

From the client I get the following error:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3182
NX> 200 Connected to address: 127.0.0.1 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I also get the following from my sshd log:

Sep 8 20:39:57 [sshd] User nx not allowed because account is locked
Sep 8 20:39:57 [sshd] Failed none for invalid user nx from ::ffff:127.0.0.1 port 32813 ssh2

Is there something in sshd_config that I should be allowing? Or is this another problem that somebody is aware of?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this problem and i resolved it but i cant remember how it was somthing to do with passwd -u nx or somthing :-\
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WhimpyPeon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 158
Location: Columbus, Nebraska

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That got rid of the ssh error, but I am still getting this from the nxclient:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 8616
NX> 200 Connected to address: 127.0.0.1 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Previous posts suggested changing security settings on files/directories, but I got the impression the new ebuilds would take care of that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 110
Location: RI, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what version have you install? 0.2 or 0.2.1 or 0.1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WhimpyPeon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Posts: 158
Location: Columbus, Nebraska

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 0.2.1. There appeared to be a problem with the permissions on /etc/ssh/sshd_conf.

I gave others read permission and I got pretty far, but now I get:

Error: Cannot open NX transport library 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0'. Error is 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.

I tried the manual install and probably got that set into my system, but I haven't figured out how to get it out.

Looks like me and you are at the same spot jd.
:(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonofzeus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhimpyPeon wrote:
I have 0.2.1. There appeared to be a problem with the permissions on /etc/ssh/sshd_conf.

I gave others read permission and I got pretty far, but now I get:

Error: Cannot open NX transport library 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0'. Error is 'libXcomp.so.1.4.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.

I tried the manual install and probably got that set into my system, but I haven't figured out how to get it out.

Looks like me and you are at the same spot jd.
:(


i had this problem also, i fixed it by compiling the NX libXcomp from NoMachine's web site and copying those to /usr/NX/lib

i can connect fine but now all i get is a black screen with the traditional X cursor...

i'm gonna try compiling the rest of the NoMachine libs and installing those...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonofzeus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, while i was about to start getting and compiling the other libs I had left open a session with that black screen and i notiiced that all of a sudden it began to open my gnome session!! :)

it seems it takes a very long time to actually start the session... any clues as to why this happens??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skobar
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, still no success on my side. :cry: This time a problem with nxviewer/nxdesktop. The libXcompext seems to have a linking error:

Code:
# nxviewer
nxviewer: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/NX/lib/libXcompext.so.1: undefined symbol: _NXEnableCleanGet


It the same problem jd5419 encounters. The file is from nx-x11-1.4.0-r1.

EDIT:

Seems to be a problem of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/NX/lib nxdesktop

works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buZz.nl
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Jan 2003
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting kicked out

it seems that the entire login goes ok , but when it gets to authenticating the user i have on the local machine , it says 'authentication failed for user buzz'

any ideas? :)
_________________
why me ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 4 of 30

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum