Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
IPW2200 Centrino B/G wireless card native drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cuco
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently just completed installing Gentoo on my sony vaio notebook. I have a built in Intel wireless card and I followed the instructions on this forum.

I was able to get my built in wireless working (well sorta) when i typed iwconfig i could see eth1 as a wireless device. I rebooted my system and now i get this

ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.16
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: ipw2200_boot.fw load failed
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ipw2200: probe of 0000:02:0b.0 failed with error -5


I dont know why i'm getting this when it worked at first. I read the ipw2200 site regarding the boot.fw problem... i tried loading firmware_class with modprobe... but no luck.

any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dyqik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 120
Location: Oxford, UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install it? You should just have to emerge hotplug, coldplug and ipw2200 now. However, the firmware can only be loaded once per boot, otherwise it fails, with that exact error message.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quat
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Posts: 316

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyqik wrote:
However, the firmware can only be loaded once per boot, otherwise it fails, with that exact error message.
r u sure?does it mean that if i unload the module it will not unload the firmware?

@cuco: check the version of firmware. the newest will not work with older versions (i.e. <=0.16). the newest driver (it's not in portage yet AFAIK) is 0.17 but the ad-hoc mode doesn't work and at least i have some speed issues - i have impression that my net is slower than on 0.16. donno y.
_________________
a mind is like a parachute, it's better when it's open
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dyqik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 120
Location: Oxford, UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm not sure that it's true any more. It was why you cannot use ndiswrapper and then insert the native module without rebooting for version 0.8, but it may have been fixed in more recent releases.

But it's a simple thing to test if that is the problem or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quat
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Posts: 316

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a problem when my signal is around 40-50% (as states iwconfig). in fact then i cannot connect to AP because the dhcpcd is not started.

But when I move the notebook to have signal higher than 50-60% i can connect without problem, i.e. dhcpcd is started. what's going on?

i've noticed that situation is more probable on 0.17 driver. is it a matter of firmware?

edit: i have
dhcpcd 1.3.22_p4-r7
baselayout 1.11.7-r2
wireless-tools 28_pre3
_________________
a mind is like a parachute, it's better when it's open
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dyqik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 120
Location: Oxford, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using Uberlord's wireless tools to do the connecting? If not, I strongly suggest you do. Also, the link quality is not just a simple matter of the signal strength (see the ipw2100/2200 mailing list for details).

Otherwise, I've not noticed anything like that before. I've managed to connect to some very weak APs before now (some fool in the next street has an unsecured AP, and I have accidently connected to that).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quat
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Posts: 316

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyqik wrote:
Are you using Uberlord's wireless tools to do the connecting?
I guess. is it like that the scripts are in baselayout higher than 1.11?
generally i'm running ~x86.

dyqik wrote:
Also, the link quality is not just a simple matter of the signal strength
of course u're right. i was checking signal strength, nosie level and s/n and tried to figure out what's on, but in fact I couldnt get any purely deterministic results.

But it's one thing for sure, when I have weak signal I have big problem with connecting (i.e. logging, getting the address from dhcpcd) to AP. On the other hand when I'm connected it's very rare that i'll lose the signal.

I was trying on a different channels but with no luck.

I found on the forums that it could be the AP fault but I was using it for couple months without problems and windows users do not complaing on it so i guess it's my notebook fault.

dyqik wrote:
I've managed to connect to some very weak APs before now (some fool in the next street has an unsecured AP, and I have accidently connected to that).
u know accidents happen ;)
_________________
a mind is like a parachute, it's better when it's open
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxian
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 766
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v0.18 causes a Kernel (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r9) freeze on my system.
v0.17 works fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taskara
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 3763
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxian wrote:
v0.18 causes a Kernel (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r9) freeze on my system.
v0.17 works fine.

cheers.. i won't update!
_________________
Kororaa install method - have Gentoo up and running quickly and easily, fully automated with an installer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quat
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Posts: 316

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
tuxian wrote:
v0.18 causes a Kernel (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r9) freeze on my system.
v0.17 works fine.

cheers.. i won't update!
for me works like a charm. no problems. even problems with dhcp seems to go away.
_________________
a mind is like a parachute, it's better when it's open
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taskara
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 3763
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quat wrote:
taskara wrote:
tuxian wrote:
v0.18 causes a Kernel (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r9) freeze on my system.
v0.17 works fine.

cheers.. i won't update!
for me works like a charm. no problems. even problems with dhcp seems to go away.

lol.. well maybe i'll just try and see! cheers
_________________
Kororaa install method - have Gentoo up and running quickly and easily, fully automated with an installer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jwever
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Posts: 72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to do an upgrade from ipw2200-0.15 to ipw2200-0.18. I manually downloaded the ipw2200-fw-2.1.tgz file and place it in the proper location. However an emerge ipw2200 ends with the following errors....

Code:

/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:775: error: storage size of `dev_attr_eeprom_delay' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:797: error: storage size of `dev_attr_command_event_reg' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:819: error: storage size of `dev_attr_mem_gpio_reg' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:843: error: storage size of `dev_attr_indirect_dword' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:867: error: storage size of `dev_attr_indirect_byte' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:892: error: storage size of `dev_attr_direct_dword' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:959: error: storage size of `dev_attr_rf_kill' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:6040: error: storage size of `ipw_wx_handler_def' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:6358: error: storage size of `ipw_ethtool_ops' isn't known
{standard input}:4278: Error: symbol `flags' is already defined
{standard input}:4557: Error: symbol `release' is already defined
{standard input}:4581: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:4718: Error: symbol `private' is already defined
{standard input}:4741: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:4777: Error: symbol `security' is already defined
{standard input}:4807: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:4907: Error: symbol `destructor' is already defined
{standard input}:4913: Error: symbol `open' is already defined
{standard input}:4931: Error: symbol `poll' is already defined
{standard input}:5057: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5135: Error: symbol `driver' is already defined
{standard input}:5141: Error: symbol `version' is already defined
{standard input}:5206: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5212: Error: symbol `version' is already defined
{standard input}:5224: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5440: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:5584: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5997: Error: symbol `private' is already defined
{standard input}:6063: Error: symbol `signal' is already defined
{standard input}:6087: Error: symbol `mask' is already defined
{standard input}:6123: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:6189: Error: symbol `channel' is already defined
{standard input}:6273: Error: symbol `wpa_ie' is already defined
{standard input}:6357: Error: symbol `hard_start_xmit' is already defined
{standard input}:6417: Error: symbol `reserved2' is already defined
{standard input}:6423: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:6429: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:6447: Error: symbol `reserved1' is already defined
{standard input}:6453: Error: symbol `reserved2' is already defined
{standard input}:6578: Error: symbol `u' is already defined
{standard input}:6866: Error: symbol `reserved1' is already defined
{standard input}:6890: Error: symbol `time_stamp' is already defined
{standard input}:6908: Error: symbol `reserved1' is already defined
{standard input}:7010: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:7082: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:7088: Error: symbol `dwell_time' is already defined
{standard input}:7556: Error: symbol `associate' is already defined
{standard input}:7658: Error: symbol `param' is already defined
{standard input}:7672: Error: symbol `mode' is already defined
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r6'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-wireless/ipw2200-0.18 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 93, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.


Any suggestions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taskara
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 3763
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwever wrote:
I am trying to do an upgrade from ipw2200-0.15 to ipw2200-0.18. I manually downloaded the ipw2200-fw-2.1.tgz file and place it in the proper location. However an emerge ipw2200 ends with the following errors....

Code:

/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:775: error: storage size of `dev_attr_eeprom_delay' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:797: error: storage size of `dev_attr_command_event_reg' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:819: error: storage size of `dev_attr_mem_gpio_reg' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:843: error: storage size of `dev_attr_indirect_dword' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:867: error: storage size of `dev_attr_indirect_byte' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:892: error: storage size of `dev_attr_direct_dword' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:959: error: storage size of `dev_attr_rf_kill' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:6040: error: storage size of `ipw_wx_handler_def' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.c:6358: error: storage size of `ipw_ethtool_ops' isn't known
{standard input}:4278: Error: symbol `flags' is already defined
{standard input}:4557: Error: symbol `release' is already defined
{standard input}:4581: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:4718: Error: symbol `private' is already defined
{standard input}:4741: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:4777: Error: symbol `security' is already defined
{standard input}:4807: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:4907: Error: symbol `destructor' is already defined
{standard input}:4913: Error: symbol `open' is already defined
{standard input}:4931: Error: symbol `poll' is already defined
{standard input}:5057: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5135: Error: symbol `driver' is already defined
{standard input}:5141: Error: symbol `version' is already defined
{standard input}:5206: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5212: Error: symbol `version' is already defined
{standard input}:5224: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5440: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:5584: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:5997: Error: symbol `private' is already defined
{standard input}:6063: Error: symbol `signal' is already defined
{standard input}:6087: Error: symbol `mask' is already defined
{standard input}:6123: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
{standard input}:6189: Error: symbol `channel' is already defined
{standard input}:6273: Error: symbol `wpa_ie' is already defined
{standard input}:6357: Error: symbol `hard_start_xmit' is already defined
{standard input}:6417: Error: symbol `reserved2' is already defined
{standard input}:6423: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:6429: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:6447: Error: symbol `reserved1' is already defined
{standard input}:6453: Error: symbol `reserved2' is already defined
{standard input}:6578: Error: symbol `u' is already defined
{standard input}:6866: Error: symbol `reserved1' is already defined
{standard input}:6890: Error: symbol `time_stamp' is already defined
{standard input}:6908: Error: symbol `reserved1' is already defined
{standard input}:7010: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:7082: Error: symbol `reserved' is already defined
{standard input}:7088: Error: symbol `dwell_time' is already defined
{standard input}:7556: Error: symbol `associate' is already defined
{standard input}:7658: Error: symbol `param' is already defined
{standard input}:7672: Error: symbol `mode' is already defined
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18/ipw2200.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.18/work/ipw2200-0.18] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r6'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-wireless/ipw2200-0.18 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 93, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.


Any suggestions?


well you shouldn't need to manually download anything, judst emerge -U ipw2200 should do the trick.

not sure why you're getting that, because i haven't tried this version yet ;)

try deleting your downloaded files from /usr/portage/distfiles and let portage grab them for you.
_________________
Kororaa install method - have Gentoo up and running quickly and easily, fully automated with an installer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jwever
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Posts: 72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted all ipw2200 files from /usr/portage/distfiles and then did an emerge ipw2200. If failed with the same error as before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ptfd9100
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: ipw2200 firmware wont load Reply with quote

Suddenly my ipw2200 fails. I don't know if it is hardware or some setting borked upgrading world last night. Although when running cfg-update -u I did not see anything that sould have messed up the ipw2200.
I was originally on 0.15, and hadn't upgraded yet, with this mornings boot up it failed. So I tried the update to 0.18 and still no luck.
I have firmware_class loaded as well as ipw2200, and necessary crypt modules, no changes were made there.
I symlinked /lib/firmware/ to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
Here is the message I get.

***************************************************
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.15
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> GSI 7 (level, low) -> IRQ 7
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: ipw2200_boot.fw load failed
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ipw2200: probe of 0000:02:03.0 failed with error -5
******************************************************

Trying to rmmod ipw2200, and waiting a few minutes and modprobing ipw2200 yeilds this.
******************************************************
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.15
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> GSI 7 (level, low) -> IRQ 7
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004
printing eip:
f883f18f
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000 [#1]
PREEMPT
Modules linked in: ipw2200 parport_pc lp parport rfcomm hidp l2cap snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq i8k hci_usb bluetooth nvidia snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_mpu401_uart snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device snd soundcore ehci_hcd uhci_hcd usbcore ieee80211 ieee80211_crypt b44 firmware_class
CPU: 0
EIP: 0f20:[<f883f18f>] Tainted: P VLI
EFLAGS: 00010246 (2.6.9-ck3)
EIP is at firmware_loading_store+0x9f/0xe0 [firmware_class]
eax: 00000000 ebx: f8840c04 ecx: f8840c04 edx: 00000001
esi: d4ee1980 edi: d709ffac ebp: 00000002 esp: d709ff0c
ds: 0f3b es: 0f3b ss: 0f28
Process firmware.agent (pid: 23012, threadinfo=d709f000 task=d7913020)
Stack: d345b000 00000000 0000000a d4ee1c00 f8840cbc c02c4a85 d4ee1c00 d345b000
00000002 c0459694 c019763b d4ee1c08 f8840cbc d345b000 00000002 e9583180
d7049900 c01976b0 d7049900 e9583180 00000002 00000000 d7049900 d709ffac
Call Trace:
[<c02c4a85>] class_device_attr_store+0x35/0x40
[<c019763b>] flush_write_buffer+0x3b/0x50
[<c01976b0>] sysfs_write_file+0x60/0x80
[<c015ee06>] vfs_write+0x116/0x160
[<c015ef21>] sys_write+0x51/0x80
[<c0106313>] sysenter_past_esp+0x58/0x79
Code: ba 76 48 00 8b 44 24 20 83 c4 0c 5b 5e c3 83 f8 ff 75 ad eb c4 bb 04 0c 84 f8 89 d9 ff 0d 04 0c 84 f8 0f 88 9b 0a 00 00 8b 46 44 <8b> 40 04 89 04 24 e8 86 64 91 c7 8b 46 44 c7 40 04 00 00 00 00
<3>ipw2200: ipw2200_boot.fw load failed
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ipw2200: probe of 0000:02:03.0 failed with error -5
**********************************************************

Then upgraded again to 0.18 and get this
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.15
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> GSI 7 (level, low) -> IRQ 7
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004
printing eip:
f883f18f
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000 [#1]
PREEMPT
Modules linked in: ipw2200 parport_pc lp parport rfcomm hidp l2cap snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq i8k hci_usb bluetooth nvidia snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_mpu401_uart snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device snd soundcore ehci_hcd uhci_hcd usbcore ieee80211 ieee80211_crypt b44 firmware_class
CPU: 0
EIP: 0f20:[<f883f18f>] Tainted: P VLI
EFLAGS: 00010246 (2.6.9-ck3)
EIP is at firmware_loading_store+0x9f/0xe0 [firmware_class]
eax: 00000000 ebx: f8840c04 ecx: f8840c04 edx: 00000001
esi: d4ee1980 edi: d709ffac ebp: 00000002 esp: d709ff0c
ds: 0f3b es: 0f3b ss: 0f28
Process firmware.agent (pid: 23012, threadinfo=d709f000 task=d7913020)
Stack: d345b000 00000000 0000000a d4ee1c00 f8840cbc c02c4a85 d4ee1c00 d345b000
00000002 c0459694 c019763b d4ee1c08 f8840cbc d345b000 00000002 e9583180
d7049900 c01976b0 d7049900 e9583180 00000002 00000000 d7049900 d709ffac
Call Trace:
[<c02c4a85>] class_device_attr_store+0x35/0x40
[<c019763b>] flush_write_buffer+0x3b/0x50
[<c01976b0>] sysfs_write_file+0x60/0x80
[<c015ee06>] vfs_write+0x116/0x160
[<c015ef21>] sys_write+0x51/0x80
[<c0106313>] sysenter_past_esp+0x58/0x79
Code: ba 76 48 00 8b 44 24 20 83 c4 0c 5b 5e c3 83 f8 ff 75 ad eb c4 bb 04 0c 84 f8 89 d9 ff 0d 04 0c 84 f8 0f 88 9b 0a 00 00 8b 46 44 <8b> 40 04 89 04 24 e8 86 64 91 c7 8b 46 44 c7 40 04 00 00 00 00
<3>ipw2200: ipw2200_boot.fw load failed
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ipw2200: probe of 0000:02:03.0 failed with error -5
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 0.18
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> GSI 7 (level, low) -> IRQ 7
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
*******************************************************

Any Ideas, as I am running out of ideas and am almost ready to order a new card...

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmj0377
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Posts: 397

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: ipw2200 firmware wont load Reply with quote

ptfd9100 wrote:
Suddenly my ipw2200 fails. I don't know if it is hardware or some setting borked upgrading world last night. Although when running cfg-update -u I did not see anything that sould have messed up the ipw2200.
I was originally on 0.15, and hadn't upgraded yet, with this mornings boot up it failed. So I tried the update to 0.18 and still no luck.
I have firmware_class loaded as well as ipw2200, and necessary crypt modules, no changes were made there.
I symlinked /lib/firmware/ to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

Mike

Same problem here, I even tried going back to 0.16 (the previous working version I was on) and I still get a firmware loading problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ptfd9100
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: ipw2200 firmware wont load Reply with quote

Same problem here, I even tried going back to 0.16 (the previous working version I was on) and I still get a firmware loading problem.


Here too, I even tried 0.15 which is where I started and it worked fine.
I may try to downgrade baselayout this afternoon if I get the chance.
Maybe file a bug report?

Mike
( at least I won't run out and buy hardware right away!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ptfd9100
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: ipw2200 firmware wont load Reply with quote

Downgrading baselayout to 1.11.7-r2 solves the problem for me. See bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74620

Hope for a fix soon...

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmj0377
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Posts: 397

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: ipw2200 firmware wont load Reply with quote

ptfd9100 wrote:
Downgrading baselayout to 1.11.7-r2 solves the problem for me. See bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74620

Hope for a fix soon...

Mike

Yep, baselayout 1.11.8 seems to be the problem, all versions work for me under 1.11.7-r2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Damzi
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: ipw2200 Reply with quote

Newbie here.

I am installing from LiveCD. Is there a chance to get x86 compiled driver (so I can just run modprobe) and continue install? I want to install with wireless, not eth0. LiveCD boot does not detect 2200. Stage3 is not an option (otherwise I'll go for Fedora)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy1988
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 24
Location: Nettetal (West Germany)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I've installed the new 0.19 drivers via Portage and compiled the necessary things into my 2.6.9 kernel. Everything works fine. But if the WEP encoding is enabled I can't get a connection to anything in my network. ifconfig dispays the proper IP and iwconfig a connection to the AP. But I can't ping anything.

All Modules are loaded correctly.

What could this be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jay
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 980

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using ipw2200 with WEP here without any problems, so it is most likely your configuration. Things you could try:

1. Make sure that you use a static Ip instead of DHCP, some APs have trouble with WEP and DHCP.

2. Try to set the access to "open" not "restricted" and make sure that your AP is configured accordingly

3. Check twice thet the key is correct and that your AP is supporting the same key length...
_________________
Do you want your posessions identified? [ynq] (n)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy1988
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 24
Location: Nettetal (West Germany)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can connect to my AP and there is a static IP, too.
In the webinterface of the AP is the card listed and iwconfig displays the MAC-Address of my AP.

It seems that the network packages aren't eccrypted before sending! But why?
Under Windows it's working, but I don't want to use it :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drohr
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Sep 2003
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your iwconfig and /etc/conf.d/wireless settings? Or whereever you put them :)

Running 0.19 here with WEP, works great. Using the 2.6.10-gentoo-r2 kernel. Tested it with both DHCP and static, and had no issues at al.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kcobain
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 221

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I cant emerge ipw2200, it fails with error:

Code:

  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ieee80211_crypt_wep.o
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ipw2200.c:6598:52: macro "create_workqueue" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ipw2200.c: In function `ipw_setup_deferred_work':
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ipw2200.c:6598: error: `create_workqueue' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ipw2200.c:6598: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ipw2200.c:6598: error: for each function it appears in.)
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ieee80211_crypt_ccmp.o
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19/ipw2200.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ipw2200-0.19/work/ipw2200-0.19] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10-nitro4'
make: *** [modules] Error 2


Im running kernel 2.6.10-nitro4...

Any solution?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum