Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
OpenMotif trouble?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
_savage
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 308
Location: Redmond, WA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: OpenMotif trouble? Reply with quote

Heya,

After a few days offline, I emerged the world today. One package that was updated was openmotif-2.1.30-r5, and a revdep-rebuild required to rebuild xemacs and ddd (along with loads of other packages).

Anyway, ddd doesn't build anymore. During configure it tries to locate an include file called Xm/Xm.h Which, as it turned out, is internal to openmotif and not installed along with it. Thus the build fails.

Does any of you have problems with the latest motif installation and its reverse dependencies, or is it me? How can I fix that?

Cheers,
Jens
_________________
Jens Troeger
http://savage.light-speed.de/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 28 Apr 2002
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddd seems to build correctly using openmotif-2.1.30-r5, at least on my system. I would try unmerging openmotif and re-emerging it. If this doesn't work, please check the output of configure by looking at /var/tmp/portage/ddd-3.3.9/work/ddd-3.3.9/config.log and see if you can see why exactly the configure failed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_savage
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 308
Location: Redmond, WA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I rebuilt OpenMotif, without any success. The config.log doesn't give away much either...

Code:
...

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

...

#define PACKAGE_VERSION "3.3.9"
#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define VERSION "3.3.9"
#define YYTEXT_POINTER 1
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;

configure: exit 1


At least I can't make much of it. Please, for future reference, move over to this thread.

Jens
_________________
Jens Troeger
http://savage.light-speed.de/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iTux
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Sep 2004
Posts: 586
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenMotif trouble? Reply with quote

_savage wrote:
Heya,

After a few days offline, I emerged the world today. One package that was updated was openmotif-2.1.30-r5, and a revdep-rebuild required to rebuild xemacs and ddd (along with loads of other packages).

Anyway, ddd doesn't build anymore. During configure it tries to locate an include file called Xm/Xm.h Which, as it turned out, is internal to openmotif and not installed along with it. Thus the build fails.

Does any of you have problems with the latest motif installation and its reverse dependencies, or is it me? How can I fix that?

Cheers,
Jens


Hi,

I am currently having the same problem since I had to rebuild it. I had this problem before however I don't remember how I solved it.

Basically openmotifs does not build correctly. There is an internal compiler error. However, make goes on. So what you get is a "successful" install without binaries, only man pages basically...

I tried with gcc 2.95, 3.3.x and 3.4.x with -O3, -O2 and with -fno-strict-aliasing with the same results.


iTux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 28 Apr 2002
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post a log of the build, (something like this: emerge openmotif -v > error.log 2>&1 ) I'll take a look at the output and try and figure out why it is failing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iTux
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Sep 2004
Posts: 586
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
If you post a log of the build, (something like this: emerge openmotif -v > error.log 2>&1 ) I'll take a look at the output and try and figure out why it is failing.


I opened a bug report: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64910

iTux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iTux
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Sep 2004
Posts: 586
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: OpenMotif trouble? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was able to build openmotif. I still have an internal compiler error but it does not seem to be a big deal. I was able to build libXm.

Make sure that you have libXp installed (from X). In my case, my X installation incorrect. I had just switched to xorg. I think the xprint USE flag must be used to have libXp.

Good luck,
iTux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_savage
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 308
Location: Redmond, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if these problems are motif related. My xpdf disappeared, so I emerged it again... and it's still gone. Looking at the emerge output, it's not even being installed:

Code:
>>> Merging app-text/xpdf-3.00-r1 to /
--- /usr/
--- /usr/bin/
>>> /usr/bin/pdftops
>>> /usr/bin/pdftotext
>>> /usr/bin/pdfinfo
>>> /usr/bin/pdffonts
>>> /usr/bin/pdfimages
--- /usr/share/
...


Having a look at the configure output:

Code:
checking whether to use Xm library... maybe
checking where to find the Xm header files...
checking Xm/XmAll.h usability... no
checking Xm/XmAll.h presence... no
checking for Xm/XmAll.h... no
not using Xm library


Does that mean that it doesn't compile xpdf because no "GUI stuff" is installed? Where does Xm come from, that IS motif, isn't it? *sigh* What's happening here? No xpdf, no ddd, no xemacs... but modif is installed?

Jens
_________________
Jens Troeger
http://savage.light-speed.de/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iTux
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Sep 2004
Posts: 586
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_savage wrote:
I am not sure if these problems are motif related. My xpdf disappeared, so I emerged it again... and it's still gone. Looking at the emerge output, it's not even being installed:

Code:
>>> Merging app-text/xpdf-3.00-r1 to /
--- /usr/
--- /usr/bin/
>>> /usr/bin/pdftops
>>> /usr/bin/pdftotext
>>> /usr/bin/pdfinfo
>>> /usr/bin/pdffonts
>>> /usr/bin/pdfimages
--- /usr/share/
...


Having a look at the configure output:

Code:
checking whether to use Xm library... maybe
checking where to find the Xm header files...
checking Xm/XmAll.h usability... no
checking Xm/XmAll.h presence... no
checking for Xm/XmAll.h... no
not using Xm library


Does that mean that it doesn't compile xpdf because no "GUI stuff" is installed? Where does Xm come from, that IS motif, isn't it? *sigh* What's happening here? No xpdf, no ddd, no xemacs... but modif is installed?

Jens



Hi,

Follow these instructions:

1. Check that libXp was built. It should be in /usr/X11R6/lib. If not, rebuild xorg. Make sure to use the xprint USE flag as I think otherwise it is not built.
2. Check if libXm is built. If not, rebuild openmotif. libXm is not build if libXp is not there.
3. Now, rebuild xpdf. Since libXm is there it should build the xpdf binary.

ddd, {x,}emacs etc. should work without rebuilding them.

Have fun!
iTux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_savage
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 308
Location: Redmond, WA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTux wrote:
1. Check that libXp was built. It should be in /usr/X11R6/lib. If not, rebuild xorg. Make sure to use the xprint USE flag as I think otherwise it is not built.
2. Check if libXm is built. If not, rebuild openmotif. libXm is not build if libXp is not there.
3. Now, rebuild xpdf. Since libXm is there it should build the xpdf binary.

ddd, {x,}emacs etc. should work without rebuilding them.


Ok, thanks so much! I added "xprint" to the global USE flags and recompiled first Xorg, then openmotif. Then xpdf compiled with no problems. Right now ddd is building; it went through configure which is farther than it went before ;-)

Anyway, how am I supposed to know that?? Honestly, I can't just switch USE flags on and off just to accidently meet the constellation that I really need to build a package. I mean, the xpdf package builds with and withou "xprint", either completely or partially. No warning, no hint, nothing... How am I supposed to know???????

Jens
_________________
Jens Troeger
http://savage.light-speed.de/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Epikuros
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Posts: 56
Location: Helsinki, Finland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_savage wrote:
Anyway, how am I supposed to know that?? Honestly, I can't just switch USE flags on and off just to accidently meet the constellation that I really need to build a package. I mean, the xpdf package builds with and withou "xprint", either completely or partially. No warning, no hint, nothing... How am I supposed to know???????


Well, at least nowadays as you look at configure-output of xpdf:
Code:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating goo/Makefile
config.status: creating fofi/Makefile
config.status: creating splash/Makefile
config.status: creating xpdf/Makefile
config.status: creating aconf.h
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X / Motif -- you will be able to compile
        pdftops, pdftotext, pdfinfo, pdffonts, pdftoppm, and pdfimages,
        but not xpdf


That should give some hint to what the problem is(mainly X or motif).

(tip: if you want to know how to save the info printed during emerge to a log-file take a look at the tips & tricks of this GWN.)

The xprint-flag-explanation doesn't give much info though:
xprint - Support for xprint, http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xprint/
_________________
---
Epikuros
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum