Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Location: Urbana, IL USA
|Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:44 pm Post subject: mol and macos9 on beige g3: brief hang when mouse clicked
|I've recently installed gentoo on a 300Mhz beige G3. This is my first gentoo install on ppc, though I've been using gentoo x86 for a couple of years.
I'm having trouble getting mol and macos 9.1 to behave. Whenever I click on an icon or a window, the mouse freezes for about a second. The machine is completely unresponsive during this period. This does not happen when I click on a drop down menu, but it does occur when I click on a submenu. This makes it impossible to doubleclick, because the machine is frozen after the first click.
* dmesg doesn't show anything funny
* This happens when running mol in console or x-windows, in 8 and 15 bit color depth.
* Disabling networking and sound seems to shorten the freeze to about half a second.
* The freeze doesn't seem to be related to disk access.
* The mouse motion is very smooth and responsive, except when dragging a window, when it seems very jerky.
Any guesses what this might be? I'm assuming that this isn't normal behavior, because macos is barely usable this way.
My sig is lamer than your sig.