Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ubuntu vs Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
poofyhairguy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNo0py wrote:
zgentoo wrote:
Oh, and their forums are relatively lame -- I'm 0 for 3 getting a question answered there.

That's absolutely correct - the Ubuntu-forum is really bad - no answers, no nice answers.... this forum here is much better!


As a moderator on the Ubuntu Forums I take offense to that.

If we do not have answers its not because the forum is bad its because you advanced Gentoo users are asking questions that go over our heads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poofyhairguy wrote:
SNo0py wrote:
zgentoo wrote:
Oh, and their forums are relatively lame -- I'm 0 for 3 getting a question answered there.
That's absolutely correct - the Ubuntu-forum is really bad - no answers, no nice answers.... this forum here is much better!
As a moderator on the Ubuntu Forums I take offense to that.

If we do not have answers its not because the forum is bad its because you advanced Gentoo users are asking questions that go over our heads.
dont talk rubbish, you shouldn't be a moderator if you cant answer the questions properly or know what the person is on about
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poofyhairguy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
dont talk rubbish, you shouldn't be a moderator if you cant answer the questions properly or know what the person is on about


Well I can always Google to find out if a really need to, but thats not the point.

At the Ubuntu forum we try to find ways to allow users that are not Linux wizards to contribute. We have a Green Team made up of newer users designed to help newer users and we have a few moderators that are not very experianced with Linux but who are very good at explaining things to recent Linux converts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poofyhairguy wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
dont talk rubbish, you shouldn't be a moderator if you cant answer the questions properly or know what the person is on about
Well I can always Google to find out if a really need to, but thats not the point.

At the Ubuntu forum we try to find ways to allow users that are not Linux wizards to contribute. We have a Green Team made up of newer users designed to help newer users and we have a few moderators that are not very experianced with Linux but who are very good at explaining things to recent Linux converts.
That sounds great from a community POV but it can't be good when you have some serious breakage.

Here we help turn noobs into experienced users so they can help and do the same to others.
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gowator
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 49
Location: France 75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poofyhairguy wrote:
SNo0py wrote:
zgentoo wrote:
Oh, and their forums are relatively lame -- I'm 0 for 3 getting a question answered there.

That's absolutely correct - the Ubuntu-forum is really bad - no answers, no nice answers.... this forum here is much better!


As a moderator on the Ubuntu Forums I take offense to that.

If we do not have answers its not because the forum is bad its because you advanced Gentoo users are asking questions that go over our heads.


http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86425


Nope the Forums are just crap!

I have never had an answer to a real technical question on there.

Ask about the sudo policy and you are told that you klnow nothing .. shut up our developers know best.. ask how to get it working and you can go over a month without a reply to a real question! It is without doubt far and away the WORST support forum I have EVER tried.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86425

Nope the Forums are just crap!
hahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gowator
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 49
Location: France 75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its hilarious....

Some guy posted deliberate liers about me saying I was bumping every 5 minutes when it was actually over a month for the longest bump and 4-5 hours for the shortest and then asks to lock the thread in case I actually get an answer and the mod removes the criticism I made that noone had answered any of my three last questions at all.

Ubuntu forums really are the worst hep forums I have ever seen... unless your question is "how do I install" or is Ubuntu the best distro ever ... then there are no answers...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gowator
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 49
Location: France 75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest news... its a bug in the Ubuntu cups /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that is incompatible with the KDE panel for config.

still no answer .... you gotta wonder on the level of the forums..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CuCullin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
latest news... its a bug in the Ubuntu cups /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that is incompatible with the KDE panel for config.

still no answer .... you gotta wonder on the level of the forums..


I don't wonder... ubunto lasted about 5 minutes post-install on my machine. I just couldn't deal with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gowator
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 49
Location: France 75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuCullin wrote:
gowator wrote:
latest news... its a bug in the Ubuntu cups /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that is incompatible with the KDE panel for config.

still no answer .... you gotta wonder on the level of the forums..


I don't wonder... ubunto lasted about 5 minutes post-install on my machine. I just couldn't deal with it.


its almost GOOD.... almost it just has a few weirdo things which are spoiling it like the use of gtksudo etc. which breaks other stuff.
Otherwise its OK for a binary distro... but the FORUMS really suck! 1 million noobies and no experienced
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CuCullin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
CuCullin wrote:
gowator wrote:
latest news... its a bug in the Ubuntu cups /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that is incompatible with the KDE panel for config.

still no answer .... you gotta wonder on the level of the forums..


I don't wonder... ubunto lasted about 5 minutes post-install on my machine. I just couldn't deal with it.


its almost GOOD.... almost it just has a few weirdo things which are spoiling it like the use of gtksudo etc. which breaks other stuff.
Otherwise its OK for a binary distro... but the FORUMS really suck! 1 million noobies and no experienced


It was WAAAAAYYYYY too dumbed down for me to deal with it. I believe that partition was replaced with FC4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuCullin wrote:

It was WAAAAAYYYYY too dumbed down for me to deal with it. I believe that partition was replaced with FC4.

If you think Fedora is better than Ubuntu then I shall stay far far away!
_________________
Occupation: Professional Slacker
Hobbies/Interests: Open Source Aficionado since 2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CuCullin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman wrote:
CuCullin wrote:

It was WAAAAAYYYYY too dumbed down for me to deal with it. I believe that partition was replaced with FC4.

If you think Fedora is better than Ubuntu then I shall stay far far away!


The thing is.... I really, really, REALLY goddamn do. I sighed with relief when FC4 went in (I'm sure its what I put there now, I remember burning FC4 cd's b/c it just came out).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuCullin wrote:
WTFman wrote:
CuCullin wrote:

It was WAAAAAYYYYY too dumbed down for me to deal with it. I believe that partition was replaced with FC4.

If you think Fedora is better than Ubuntu then I shall stay far far away!


The thing is.... I really, really, REALLY goddamn do. I sighed with relief when FC4 went in (I'm sure its what I put there now, I remember burning FC4 cd's b/c it just came out).
I haven't tried FC4, but I did put FC3 on my PC for about 5 minutes, and I'll tell you I won't touch Fedora again.
_________________
Occupation: Professional Slacker
Hobbies/Interests: Open Source Aficionado since 2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CuCullin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman wrote:
I haven't tried FC4, but I did put FC3 on my PC for about 5 minutes, and I'll tell you I won't touch Fedora again.


To each his own - I find the default install of FC4 better than FC3 because of newer apps like evince, etc. Ubuntu... well, it just pissed me off. It was so dumbed down I had trouble finding things in their usual places. As a result, I needed it gone, immediately.

Plus.... it was brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gowator
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 49
Location: France 75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuCullin wrote:
WTFman wrote:
I haven't tried FC4, but I did put FC3 on my PC for about 5 minutes, and I'll tell you I won't touch Fedora again.


To each his own - I find the default install of FC4 better than FC3 because of newer apps like evince, etc. Ubuntu... well, it just pissed me off. It was so dumbed down I had trouble finding things in their usual places. As a result, I needed it gone, immediately.

Plus.... it was brown.


OK, that bit really sucksa the green weanie....

the Kubuntu desktop though is much prettier...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cbr
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 285
Location: Tallinn/Rakvere, Estonia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator, if I would be an Ubuntu forum administrator, I would see enough reason to ban you for trolling ;) Or atleast lock and delete the thread :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
latest news... its a bug in the Ubuntu cups /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that is incompatible with the KDE panel for config.

still no answer .... you gotta wonder on the level of the forums..
your fault for using KDE............ And Ubuntu :lol:
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickgreen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried Dapper Drake Flight 4, but it's still no match for gentoo. Why? Because it's slow. Even using the 686 kernel (which is a bit of a pain to install). I doesn't feel as snappy as gentoo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i really don't like ubuntu. i installed it on my girlfriends laptop (i have gentoo on my laptop, she like ubuntu) and man when i have to do anything on that thing it drives me crazy. things are so hard. nothing is updated fast (they are still on tetex 2) and i can't stand apt-get.

however, install was a breeze (even on a laptop). took about 20 mins to install.

j
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo iz teh suxoo00rz
_________________
"Sex: breakfast of champions" - James Hunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LD
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Posts: 336
Location: Middle of No-Where Granbury, Tx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Gentoo iz teh suxoo00rz


Burn the Heratict!
_________________
[Owner/Operator: Dhampir Dreams]
Last.fm profile
Netflix Profile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jmaxxz
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up ubuntu for a friend, and I have to say I LEARNED nothing from it!!!

And that is why I will continue to use gentoo, for the challenge. I want to learn about computers, not just use them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1452
Location: Looking over your shoulder.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmaxxz wrote:
And that is why I will continue to use gentoo, for the challenge. I want to learn about computers, not just use them.
That's exactly why I use Gentoo, and a whole slough of other Linux distros, Unix-variants, and some obscure operating systems. Though, I've had little luck with OpenDarwin.

The Gentoo forums have an advantage: the wiki. A centralized source for many things Gentoo, while a lot of the topics in the Ubuntu forums server as wiki nodes.
_________________
[ Kawa-kun, new and improved!! ]

Alex Libman seems to be more of an anarchist than a libertarian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daemonax
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmaxxz wrote:
I set up ubuntu for a friend, and I have to say I LEARNED nothing from it!!!

And that is why I will continue to use gentoo, for the challenge. I want to learn about computers, not just use them.


I'll admit that not using Gentoo for sometime has caused me to forget how to configure quite a bit of stuff, but with Gentoo I feel I'm spending too much time tweaking things to be just how I want, than getting on with learning and doing stuff.

But after having a look a gowators thread I don't think I can continue to use Ubuntu, that they allow moderators to edit/censor what people say on the forums is absolutely disgusting.
_________________
The God idea is growing more impersonal and nebulous in proportion as the human mind is learning to understand natural phenomena and in the degree that science progressively correlates human and social events. -- Emma Goldman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum