Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whats going on with gentoo-dev-sources & linux26-headers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 160
Location: UK, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Whats going on with gentoo-dev-sources & linux26-headers Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly, I'm in the middle of a 2005.0 install, its late (5am 8O ) and I'm trying to 'emerge linux26-headers', which is enlightened me to a startling change...
It seems to me that for some reason, gentoo-dev-sources and linux26-headers have both been integrated and 'hard-masked' (Whatever that means :? ) into both gentoo-sources and linux-headers...

I checked at http://packages.gentoo.org/ and they are indeed seemingly 'integrated', but 'hard-masked'.
Also, gentoo-dev-sources and linux26-headers seems to have dissapeared...

I dont understand why or what for... :(

Does anyone know whats going on with these and how I can now emerge a 2.6 kernel with 2.6 headers?

Thanks all...
_________________
-Do not be afraid of what is different.
-Do not be afraid of being different.
-After all, ignorance is not an excuse.

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 10306
Location: Córdoba (Spain)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know the 2.6 branch is no more considered in development by the gentoo developers. Has reached the state of stable, so now is gentoo-sources. Surely when a new 2.8 come along then it will become gentoo-dev-sources, i think (just personal thought, not the truth recorded in stone).
I have looked into portage and 2.6.11-r4 is not masked, you can use it as if gentoo-dev-sources was, its the same.
_________________
Gentoo Handbook | My website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 10306
Location: Córdoba (Spain)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot, linux-headers also migrated to 2.6 , of course, and also is unmasked.
_________________
Gentoo Handbook | My website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 160
Location: UK, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok, panic over (I think... 8O ).

After much reading, I've determined that the headers and sources are 2.6 by default now. :)

So all I need to do is:

Code:
# emerge linux-headers


and it emerges the 2.6.8.1-r4 headers for me...

Different... but it seems to be working.

So for anyone else out there who's reading this, 2.6 headers and kernel appear to be the new gentoo default!.
just do a normal 'emerge linux-headers' or 'emerge gentoo-sources' and it will download 2.6 for you...

Though I'm not sure how "x86" and "~x86" tie into all this now...

Live long and prosper, all...
_________________
-Do not be afraid of what is different.
-Do not be afraid of being different.
-After all, ignorance is not an excuse.

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here


Last edited by plonka2000 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 648
Location: No such file or directory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are listed as being masked on packages.gentoo.org:
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=gentoo-sources
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=linux-headers

BTW, this thread is a dupe: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-315452-highlight-.html


Last edited by Given M. Sur on Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 160
Location: UK, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
From what I know the 2.6 branch is no more considered in development by the gentoo developers. Has reached the state of stable, so now is gentoo-sources. Surely when a new 2.8 come along then it will become gentoo-dev-sources, i think (just personal thought, not the truth recorded in stone).
I have looked into portage and 2.6.11-r4 is not masked, you can use it as if gentoo-dev-sources was, its the same.


If you look on http://packages.gentoo.org/ and check it, both gentoo-sources and linux-headers BOTH have 2.6 masked... Even though it emerges 2.6 (Which is masked) as default...

I get what you're saying though... 2.6 being considered stable and all that now... Can only be good news I guess... :)
_________________
-Do not be afraid of what is different.
-Do not be afraid of being different.
-After all, ignorance is not an excuse.

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 160
Location: UK, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
They are listed as being masked on packages.gentoo.org:
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=gentoo-sources
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=linux-headers


Yep, there ya go. :)
_________________
-Do not be afraid of what is different.
-Do not be afraid of being different.
-After all, ignorance is not an excuse.

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 10306
Location: Córdoba (Spain)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plonka2000 wrote:
6thpink wrote:
From what I know the 2.6 branch is no more considered in development by the gentoo developers. Has reached the state of stable, so now is gentoo-sources. Surely when a new 2.8 come along then it will become gentoo-dev-sources, i think (just personal thought, not the truth recorded in stone).
I have looked into portage and 2.6.11-r4 is not masked, you can use it as if gentoo-dev-sources was, its the same.


If you look on http://packages.gentoo.org/ and check it, both gentoo-sources and linux-headers BOTH have 2.6 masked... Even though it emerges 2.6 (Which is masked) as default...

I get what you're saying though... 2.6 being considered stable and all that now... Can only be good news I guess... :)

Thansk for the info. As i said, i really did not know nothing at all about this, were just supositions. I will go to bed having some more knowledge in my head. :D
_________________
Gentoo Handbook | My website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 5511
Location: Durham, UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please follow up to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-315281.html

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
_________________
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum