Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1 failed...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GeorgeM
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 23
Location: Southern New Jersey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1 failed... Reply with quote

I have a linux system which I built using Bob P's "Installing Gentoo 2004.3: Stage1 NPTL on a Stage 3 Tarball" It's been working really well, so it was time to fix it...

I was trying to update my system using the procedure outlined by robmoss in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-163377-highlight-emerge+udv.html.
Code:
emerge -uDv world


Things looked great, only 24 packages to go when:
Code:
loadmsgcat.c: In function `_nl_init_domain_conv':
../sysdeps/i386/bits/string.h:655: error: can't find a register in class `GENERAL_REGS' while reloading `asm'make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/build-default-i386-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/intl/loadmsgcat.os] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/glibc-2.3.4/intl'
make[1]: *** [intl/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1/work/glibc-2.3.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2


My first stab at it was to get the latest vanilla sources and build a more up-to-date kernel (although the old one was 2.6.10-r6). The 'registers' error and 'asm' seemed to indicate an architecture problem. Built the kernel, installed it and rebooted. Restarted the emerge. It picked up with the glibc package. Same error.

My next stab was to check the localesbuild stuff. According to the install manual:
Code:
# mkdir /etc/portage
# echo "sys-libs/glibc userlocales" >> /etc/portage/package.use

That was already set-up, so I checked on /etc/localesbuid
Code:
# nano -w /etc/locales.build
en_US/ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8

That looked OK as well. So I looked at the USE flags:
Code:
As of now you can activate the userlocales USE flag and specify only the locales you will need in /etc/locales.build.

I added "userlocales" to my USE flags in /etc/make.conf, restarted the emerge and bombed out again.

I think something is wrong...
_________________
Registered Linux User # 121842
MCP # 1662338

Agnosticism is no excuse for indecision, it is a catalyst for action. It demands an ethics of empathy rather than a metaphysics of hope and fear. S. Batchelor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenyon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 155
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your CFLAGS?

What version of sys-kernel/linux-headers do you have installed? This is what's used to compile glibc, not the running kernel nor anything in /usr/src/ (I think).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeorgeM
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 23
Location: Southern New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry it has taken me so long to respond. My commute is 3 hrs per day and I'm not permitted to post to message boards at work.

kenyon wrote:
What are your CFLAGS?

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Quote:
What version of sys-kernel/linux-headers do you have installed? This is what's used to compile glibc, not the running kernel nor anything in /usr/src/ (I think).

I did a 'qpkg | grep sys-kernel' and got 'sys-kernel/linux-headers*' but no version number. In /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-headers/ there are a number of ebuild files with the latest version being 'linux-headers-2.6.8.1-r4.ebuild'

I like your avatar. I served from 1969 to 1975, but in the Air Wing, mostly at MCAS Beaufort, SC. Being in San Diego, you must be a grunt. :wink:
_________________
Registered Linux User # 121842
MCP # 1662338

Agnosticism is no excuse for indecision, it is a catalyst for action. It demands an ethics of empathy rather than a metaphysics of hope and fear. S. Batchelor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenyon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 155
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeM wrote:
Quote:
What version of sys-kernel/linux-headers do you have installed? This is what's used to compile glibc, not the running kernel nor anything in /usr/src/ (I think).

I did a 'qpkg | grep sys-kernel' and got 'sys-kernel/linux-headers*' but no version number. In /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-headers/ there are a number of ebuild files with the latest version being 'linux-headers-2.6.8.1-r4.ebuild'

Try 'etcat -v virtual/os-headers'. That will indicate what version you have installed by the "I" next to it.

The latest linux-headers version is 2.6.11. I was able to compile glibc 2.3.4.20050125-r1 against them with no problems.

Quote:
I like your avatar. I served from 1969 to 1975, but in the Air Wing, mostly at MCAS Beaufort, SC. Being in San Diego, you must be a grunt. :wink:

Civil affairs, actually. Semper fi.


Last edited by kenyon on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 1556
Location: .se

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeM wrote:
I'm very sorry it has taken me so long to respond. My commute is 3 hrs per day and I'm not permitted to post to message boards at work.

kenyon wrote:
What are your CFLAGS?

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Quote:
What version of sys-kernel/linux-headers do you have installed? This is what's used to compile glibc, not the running kernel nor anything in /usr/src/ (I think).

I did a 'qpkg | grep sys-kernel' and got 'sys-kernel/linux-headers*' but no version number. In /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-headers/ there are a number of ebuild files with the latest version being 'linux-headers-2.6.8.1-r4.ebuild'

I like your avatar. I served from 1969 to 1975, but in the Air Wing, mostly at MCAS Beaufort, SC. Being in San Diego, you must be a grunt. :wink:


Remove -fomit-frame-pointer from you CFLAGS and try again!

One of the new features in -r1 was that the -fomit-frame-pointer now turns on the --enable-omitfp configure option in glibc. This builds more optimized but undebugable libraries. I have seen this problem before on the forums and i suspect it's caused by omitfp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenyon
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 155
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
Remove -fomit-frame-pointer from you CFLAGS and try again!

One of the new features in -r1 was that the -fomit-frame-pointer now turns on the --enable-omitfp configure option in glibc. This builds more optimized but undebugable libraries. I have seen this problem before on the forums and i suspect it's caused by omitfp.

Maybe so, but I am using -fomit-frame-pointer and didn't have any problems. YMMV I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 1629
Location: sk.ca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
GeorgeM wrote:
I'm very sorry it has taken me so long to respond. My commute is 3 hrs per day and I'm not permitted to post to message boards at work.

kenyon wrote:
What are your CFLAGS?

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Quote:
What version of sys-kernel/linux-headers do you have installed? This is what's used to compile glibc, not the running kernel nor anything in /usr/src/ (I think).

I did a 'qpkg | grep sys-kernel' and got 'sys-kernel/linux-headers*' but no version number. In /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-headers/ there are a number of ebuild files with the latest version being 'linux-headers-2.6.8.1-r4.ebuild'

I like your avatar. I served from 1969 to 1975, but in the Air Wing, mostly at MCAS Beaufort, SC. Being in San Diego, you must be a grunt. :wink:


Remove -fomit-frame-pointer from you CFLAGS and try again!

One of the new features in -r1 was that the -fomit-frame-pointer now turns on the --enable-omitfp configure option in glibc. This builds more optimized but undebugable libraries. I have seen this problem before on the forums and i suspect it's caused by omitfp.


i actually just learned that today. :D i guess when omitfp is used it builds a set of debuggable libraries as well. not using -fomit-frame-pointers with glibc saves a chunk of compilation time and disk space. there is a performance trade off but i don't know how much or how stable it is.
_________________
by design, by neglect
for a fact or just for effect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 1556
Location: .se

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenyon wrote:
nxsty wrote:
Remove -fomit-frame-pointer from you CFLAGS and try again!

One of the new features in -r1 was that the -fomit-frame-pointer now turns on the --enable-omitfp configure option in glibc. This builds more optimized but undebugable libraries. I have seen this problem before on the forums and i suspect it's caused by omitfp.

Maybe so, but I am using -fomit-frame-pointer and didn't have any problems. YMMV I guess.



Me too actually and I don't have any problems either. :) But as I said I have seen this problem before and it's always with glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1 and droping the CFLAGS to a minimum usually solves it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 5511
Location: Durham, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please follow up to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-309625.html

Moved from Portage & Programming.
_________________
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum