Joined: 12 May 2004
|Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:56 pm Post subject: [ GLSA 200505-03 ] Ethereal: Numerous vulnerabilities
|Gentoo Linux Security Advisory
Title: Ethereal: Numerous vulnerabilities (GLSA 200505-03)
Date: May 06, 2005
Ethereal is vulnerable to numerous vulnerabilities potentially resulting in the execution of arbitrary code or abnormal termination.
Ethereal is a feature rich network protocol analyzer.
Vulnerable: < 0.10.11
Unaffected: >= 0.10.11
Architectures: All supported architectures
There are numerous vulnerabilities in versions of Ethereal prior to 0.10.11, including:
- The ANSI A and DHCP dissectors are vulnerable to format string vulnerabilities.
- The DISTCC, FCELS, SIP, ISIS, CMIP, CMP, CMS, CRMF, ESS, OCSP, PKIX1Explitit, PKIX Qualified, X.509, Q.931, MEGACO, NCP, ISUP, TCAP and Presentation dissectors are vulnerable to buffer overflows.
- The KINK, WSP, SMB Mailslot, H.245, MGCP, Q.931, RPC, GSM and SMB NETLOGON dissectors are vulnerable to pointer handling errors.
- The LMP, KINK, MGCP, RSVP, SRVLOC, EIGRP, MEGACO, DLSw, NCP and L2TP dissectors are vulnerable to looping problems.
- The Telnet and DHCP dissectors could abort.
- The TZSP, Bittorrent, SMB, MGCP and ISUP dissectors could cause a segmentation fault.
- The WSP, 802.3 Slow protocols, BER, SMB Mailslot, SMB, NDPS, IAX2, RADIUS, SMB PIPE, MRDISC and TCAP dissectors could throw assertions.
- The DICOM, NDPS and ICEP dissectors are vulnerable to memory handling errors.
- The GSM MAP, AIM, Fibre Channel,SRVLOC, NDPS, LDAP and NTLMSSP dissectors could terminate abnormallly.
An attacker might be able to use these vulnerabilities to crash Ethereal and execute arbitrary code with the permissions of the user running Ethereal, which could be the root user.
There is no known workaround at this time.
All Ethereal users should upgrade to the latest version:
|# emerge --sync
# emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose ">=net-analyzer/ethereal-0.10.11"
Last edited by GLSA on Sun May 07, 2006 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum