Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sempron cflags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
robinmarlow
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Posts: 167

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: sempron cflags Reply with quote

Hi,
Having just built a new more powerful myth box i am installling gentoo on it. It is a sempron 2600+
Code:
/proc/cpuinfoprocessor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 28
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1607.174
cache size      : 128 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 pni syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt 3dnowext 3dnow lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3186.68


i was just about to install as athlon-xp, but then i found references to athlon-4 as a cflag. i think mine is a palamio core.... which should i use?

cheers robin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 29 May 2004
Posts: 1507
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: sempron cflags Reply with quote

robinmarlow wrote:
Hi,
Having just built a new more powerful myth box i am installling gentoo on it. It is a sempron 2600+
Code:
/proc/cpuinfoprocessor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 28
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1607.174
cache size      : 128 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 pni syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt 3dnowext 3dnow lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3186.68


i was just about to install as athlon-xp, but then i found references to athlon-4 as a cflag. i think mine is a palamio core.... which should i use?

cheers robin


athlon-xp is correct. If I remember corectly, athlon-4 is an older processor, not sure exactly which die though.

Raydude
_________________
Some day there will only be free software.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jose_zap
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read somewhere some benchmark of a sempron processor with and without de athlon flag: that flag actually degraded the performance of the processor, they recommended using the k8 flag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neo86
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that Anandtech article as well. I don't know why, but using k8 flag on my Sempron 754 seems to break compiling. I just use "march=athlon-xp" and then add "-msse2" to the cflags as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chovy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Dec 2004
Posts: 453

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same as above (3000+ Amd sempron), and use this CFLAGS:

Quote:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -msse2"

_________________
Woof, Woof! Add "[solved]" to the title! Woof, Woof!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
el3ctron
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: cflags to sempron 2600+ at socket A Reply with quote

Hi, I have too sempron 2600 he has 1,800Mhz.
how i may set my cflags in make.conf?

does stage3-athlon-xp-2005.1.tar.bz2 is correctly stage? whether should be stage3-i686-2005.1.tar.bz2
thnks for any suggestion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 10974
Location: the dutch mountains

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: cflags to sempron 2600+ at socket A Reply with quote

el3ctron wrote:
Hi, I have too sempron 2600 he has 1,800Mhz.
how i may set my cflags in make.conf?
You can set them to whatever you want. But http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Athlon_XP_.28AMD.29 will tell you some safe ones.

Quote:
does stage3-athlon-xp-2005.1.tar.bz2 is correctly stage? whether should be stage3-i686-2005.1.tar.bz2
thnks for any suggestion
Both are fine, but the athlon-xp one has some extra optimisations for your processor.
_________________
Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved. Help answer the unanswered

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oizone
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 55
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished installing my new sempron 3000+ system. I used k8, (built as 64bit)
make.conf:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O3 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

Works like a charm.

I think if you have CHOST=i686 and use k8 it breaks, but atleast on 64bit k8 works fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 10974
Location: the dutch mountains

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
moved in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-186638.html
_________________
Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved. Help answer the unanswered

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum