Joined: 17 May 2005
Location: Port Alfred, South Africa
|Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:29 pm Post subject: Splashutils on PPC G3
|Having read through a LOT! of posts and finding only one or 2 scattered gems of info, my first thought was that I must post this for the next poor sole in my posision.
This is specificaly aimed at iBook G3 Machine ID 406 (The Blueberry or Tangerine iBook)
NOTE: My Splash screen "corrupts" for the first minute or so and then corrects itself. Now fixed!
Pease give me feedback as I would love to know if it works of if there is another solution which I missed
1. Check this wiki and follow it except for a variation or 2 which will be pointed out
2. The vga card in this machine is a Rage Mobility L and uses the atyfb frame buffer
3. Create a second "safe" boot entry in yaboot so that if something goes wrong u dont have to boot off the livecd.
# nano -w /etc/yaboot.conf
defaultos=Linux ## Add this above timeout=30
image=/boot/<the kernel you are useing>
sysmap=/boot/System.map<your version> # Only add this if you are using the System.map
Now you can safely play with the settings in your Linux entry.
4. Edit your kernel (Dont bother patching as the fbpatch has been applied to gentoo-sources-2.6.10 and up)
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig
#Edit you kernel according to the wiki, but dont bother looking for VESA VGA graphics support
#VESA driver type (vesafb-tng) its not there! Do this instead.
Device Drivers > Graphics support:
<*> Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Enable video mode handling helpers
<*> VGA 16-colour graphics support #Possibly not needed
<*> Mach64 display support
[*] Mach64 CT/VT/GT/LT (3D Rage) support
[*] Mach64 generic LCD support
[*] Rage XL No-Bios Init support
[*] Mach64 GX support
<*> Virtual frame buffer support
Device Drivers > Graphics support > Console display driver support:
[*] VGA text console
<*> Framebuffer Console support
Device Drivers > Graphics support >Logo configuration----> OFF!
[*] Backlight & LCD device support -----> ALL ON
[*] Support for the framebuffer splash
### Exit and save
# make all && make menu_install
5. O.K. you followed the instructions and emerged splashutils? Now do this:
# echo "media-gfx/bootsplash-themes-livecd ~ppc" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge bootsplash-themes-livecd
# splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-livecd-2005.0-800x600 -r 800x600 livecd-2005.0
6. Edit your yaboot.conf file, making sure to place the "Linux" kernel first. Im using kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r3 so substitute your own and check that the entries match the files in your /boot directory! Dont just copy this blindly!!!
append="quiet video=atyfb:800x600-32 splash=silent,theme:livecd-2005.0 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1"
sysmap=/boot/System.map-2.6.12-gentoo-r3 # Only add this if you are using the System.map
Save and Exit your yaboot.conf file
DONT FORGET THIS!
Blessing with Holy Penguine Pee.... (Kills me everytime!)
Do a rain dance, stand on your head and reboot.
PLEASE NOTE: Useing any other settings but video=atyfb:800x600-32 will cause a variety of problems from kernel panics to blank screens to a red tinge.
BTW Im running Lila, converted from the bootsplash set using bootsplash2fbsplash tool in splashutils and it ROCKS!!!
And the answer to that is: No I cant spell!