Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unmerged GCC3.3.6, portage doesn't work (libstdc++) [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JanErik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Posts: 488
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Unmerged GCC3.3.6, portage doesn't work (libstdc++) [solved] Reply with quote

Unmerged it since 3.4.4 is now stable.

Emerge gives this error:
Code:
/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


How can I solve this?


Last edited by JanErik on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 1779
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you unmerge the old gcc, try emerge -upDv world, it will probably want to install sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.6

You should also rebuild your toolchain, system, kernel and world using the new gcc to avoid these issues with other apps.
_________________
Jingle Jangle Jewellery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2003
Posts: 3595
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporarily restore it, and merge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 or remerge python with gcc-3.4.4 (I think).
_________________
No more cruft
dep: Revdeps that work
Using command-line ACCEPT_KEYWORDS?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 1779
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
Temporarily restore it, and merge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 or remerge python with gcc-3.4.4 (I think).


You shouldn't have to temporarily restore it. Just let it emerge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 like it wants to ufter removing old gcc, and rebuild everything using the new gcc at your own leisure.
_________________
Jingle Jangle Jewellery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mr-simon
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Nov 2002
Posts: 362
Location: Leamington Spa, Warks, UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
ecatmur wrote:
Temporarily restore it, and merge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 or remerge python with gcc-3.4.4 (I think).


You shouldn't have to temporarily restore it. Just let it emerge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 like it wants to ufter removing old gcc, and rebuild everything using the new gcc at your own leisure.


Yes, he should. Python doesn't work, so no emerge.

You can pull the file out of a stage3 tarball, and put it back in the right place. Then proceed as above.
_________________
"Pokey, are you drunk on love?"
"Yes. Also whiskey. But mostly love... and whiskey."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JanErik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Posts: 488
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now built the package on another machine, made a binary package and unpacked in the root of the b0rked installation.
But still, emerge doesn't work. Is there some symlink missing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 1779
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-simon wrote:
agent_jdh wrote:
ecatmur wrote:
Temporarily restore it, and merge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 or remerge python with gcc-3.4.4 (I think).


You shouldn't have to temporarily restore it. Just let it emerge sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 like it wants to ufter removing old gcc, and rebuild everything using the new gcc at your own leisure.


Yes, he should. Python doesn't work, so no emerge.

You can pull the file out of a stage3 tarball, and put it back in the right place. Then proceed as above.


Heh. Note to self -

Must. Read. Question.
_________________
Jingle Jangle Jewellery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JanErik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Posts: 488
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I now created a libstdc++.so.5 symlink in /usr/lib pointing to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 and that solved it (after unpacking the binary package built on my other machine).
I also got a problem on my main workstation earlier after pruning gcc, X didn't work because libstdc++ was missing. But for some reason emerge worked just fine on that, probably because python was prelinked.

Actually I've been using GCC 3.4 for quite a while, so most of my systems are compiled with that. Had 3.3.6 mostly for fallback.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mr-simon
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Nov 2002
Posts: 362
Location: Leamington Spa, Warks, UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JanErik wrote:
OK. I now created a libstdc++.so.5 symlink in /usr/lib pointing to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 and that solved it (after unpacking the binary package built on my other machine).
I also got a problem on my main workstation earlier after pruning gcc, X didn't work because libstdc++ was missing. But for some reason emerge worked just fine on that, probably because python was prelinked.

Actually I've been using GCC 3.4 for quite a while, so most of my systems are compiled with that. Had 3.3.6 mostly for fallback.


I always find that an 'emerge -e system' helps, when problems like this arise. (Provided you can get portage working, of course.) Although, doing the etc-update at the end is always boring. ;-)
_________________
"Pokey, are you drunk on love?"
"Yes. Also whiskey. But mostly love... and whiskey."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2003
Posts: 3595
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JanErik wrote:
I have now built the package on another machine, made a binary package and unpacked in the root of the b0rked installation.
But still, emerge doesn't work. Is there some symlink missing?
Make sure /etc/env.d/99libstdc++ is installed, run env-update, and run ldconfig.
_________________
No more cruft
dep: Revdeps that work
Using command-line ACCEPT_KEYWORDS?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2003
Posts: 3595
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JanErik wrote:
OK. I now created a libstdc++.so.5 symlink in /usr/lib pointing to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 and that solved it (after unpacking the binary package built on my other machine).
I also got a problem on my main workstation earlier after pruning gcc, X didn't work because libstdc++ was missing. But for some reason emerge worked just fine on that, probably because python was prelinked.

Actually I've been using GCC 3.4 for quite a while, so most of my systems are compiled with that. Had 3.3.6 mostly for fallback.

python will be OK as long as it is compiled with the new gcc, so it is linked against libstdc++.so.6. Your problem was a python compiled with the old gcc.
_________________
No more cruft
dep: Revdeps that work
Using command-line ACCEPT_KEYWORDS?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Oct 2003
Posts: 3595
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr-simon wrote:

I always find that an 'emerge -e system' helps, when problems like this arise. (Provided you can get portage working, of course.) Although, doing the etc-update at the end is always boring. ;-)

Sensible; maybe a little OTT if you're happy running recovery yourself. But if you use dispatch-conf rather than etc-update, updating configs will take no time at all.
_________________
No more cruft
dep: Revdeps that work
Using command-line ACCEPT_KEYWORDS?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 5511
Location: Durham, UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads in favour of this FAQ: Error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5.
_________________
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum