Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cannot resolve a virtual package name to an ebuild. [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JD.Thompson
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Cannot resolve a virtual package name to an ebuild. [Solved] Reply with quote

"emerge --sync" gives me:
>>> Updating Portage cache: 88%!!! Cannot resolve a virtual package name to an ebuild.
!!! This is a bug, please report it. (virtual/libstdc++-3.3)

I also get a simular message when I type "emerge search libstdc." However, I subsequently ran emerge --sync on my desktop (a different machine) and did not receive the error message. I synced the problem computer without problems about a month ago and havent changed much if any thing since that time.

I don't know where to start troubleshooting this. Anyone have any suggestions? In the mean time are there any side effects to the cache update being stoped at 88%? Or will the remaining 12% be cached when needed? I need to rebuild a package with a different USE flag but I dont want to mess anything up if portage is broken.


Last edited by JD.Thompson on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RuiP
l33t
l33t


Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Posts: 643

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, maybe that was an sporadic. Do you tried?
Code:
emerge metadata

that, will redo the "Updating Portage cache" step... eventually 'till the end.

If not, check this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-410139.html

good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JD.Thompson
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help Ruip. The problem was not sporadic but your link pointed me to the fix. Portage was out of date :oops: .
Code:
emerge portage
fixed the problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RuiP
l33t
l33t


Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Posts: 643

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad it's solved :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 5511
Location: Durham, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads in favour of Can't get emerge to work.
_________________
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum