Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
still issues on quicksilver G4, xorg critical
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
prairie_dad
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 68
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: still issues on quicksilver G4, xorg critical Reply with quote

Hi all,

still no X. Everything is compiled and ready to go, I just can't see it ;-) One question, can one see the options one's used when last compiling a kernel? And, do those options get used as defaults (of course they could be unchecked, I understand) when the next is compiled? I'd like to make sure I've checked all the right things, whether * or M, to use the Radeon 7500 in my tower.

of course, I'm not sure I _know_ all the right settings...for instance, I don't need AGPgart do I, this is a PCI card, isn't it?

and I still don't understand whether I want radeon or fglrx, though I suspect the former. xac doesn't solve the problem, if I run startx after I've made a new xorg.conf (saving all the old ones) it just flashes some text briefly and then goes black, black, black. when I ctrl, alt, backspace, I'm okay again, but what is the file name for the errors it shows me then? I'd send them if I could...

Also, if I check rt2500 and rt73 in the kernel compilation menu (*, I think, not M) then I don't see the modules, right? I mean, neither is in my modprobe -l list, nor is anything _at_all_ (?) in the modules.autoload.d list...

rt2500 won't even emerge, by the way, it fails with no easy to interpret message, it just says to post the error logs.

on that subject, how to pick which list to post to? I mean, I have a PPC, so I post here, but are there more people on the other lists, and how architecture specific are my issues? And I have tons of questions/proposals about the documentation, and how it could be easier for noobs like me... I am still unsure about use flags, though I have compiled a good list by now. One thing that puzzles me is that the default list for desktop/G4 is very short, I think it only contains altivec. I must be up to 15 or so by now, most added just by going down the ufed list, but some added when emerge has told me to (dbus and threads come to mind.)

well, thanks for helping, especially with the video. after that, Java and wireless (hopeless?)

dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sodki
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Aug 2003
Posts: 419
Location: London, U.K. & Lisbon, Portugal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: still issues on quicksilver G4, xorg critical Reply with quote

prairie_dad wrote:
One question, can one see the options one's used when last compiling a kernel? And, do those options get used as defaults (of course they could be unchecked, I understand) when the next is compiled? I'd like to make sure I've checked all the right things, whether * or M, to use the Radeon 7500 in my tower.

There is an option in the kernel config to make the options available in /proc/config.gz. You can also try to look in /etc/kernels/* and in /usr/src/linux/.config. The best option in the first, IMHO.

Quote:
of course, I'm not sure I _know_ all the right settings...for instance, I don't need AGPgart do I, this is a PCI card, isn't it?

lspci should tell you if that card is an AGP or PCI slot.

Quote:
and I still don't understand whether I want radeon or fglrx, though I suspect the former. xac doesn't solve the problem, if I run startx after I've made a new xorg.conf (saving all the old ones) it just flashes some text briefly and then goes black, black, black. when I ctrl, alt, backspace, I'm okay again, but what is the file name for the errors it shows me then? I'd send them if I could...

fglrx isn't available for PPC, you must use the open source radeon driver. The log file is /var/log/Xorg.0.log, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Also, if I check rt2500 and rt73 in the kernel compilation menu (*, I think, not M) then I don't see the modules, right? I mean, neither is in my modprobe -l list, nor is anything _at_all_ (?) in the modules.autoload.d list...

You're right, if you compile them directly in the kernel instead of being modules, they don't get listed in lsmod. They are always active.

Quote:
rt2500 won't even emerge, by the way, it fails with no easy to interpret message, it just says to post the error logs.

on that subject, how to pick which list to post to? I mean, I have a PPC, so I post here, but are there more people on the other lists, and how architecture specific are my issues?

Just post the error logs here, in the PPC forums, I'm sure somebody will know how to help.

Quote:
And I have tons of questions/proposals about the documentation, and how it could be easier for noobs like me... I am still unsure about use flags, though I have compiled a good list by now. One thing that puzzles me is that the default list for desktop/G4 is very short, I think it only contains altivec. I must be up to 15 or so by now, most added just by going down the ufed list, but some added when emerge has told me to (dbus and threads come to mind.)

USE flags are just compilation options and people have different needs. I have 101 USE flags in my make.conf but I didn't put them all there at the same time. Before I emerge anything, I use emerge -pv to see what options I have and then decide upon my needs. That way I can build my USE flags list progressively.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum