Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PPC64-32ul can´t boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sewulba
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 497
Location: Heidelberg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: PPC64-32ul can´t boot Reply with quote

Hiii...

I think I got a YABOOT-Problem. Need help!!!
I have made a new Installation on my Dual G5 PowerMac in PPC64-32ul. PPC64-64ul, which I had installed before was no Problem. But I miss many Programs, which are available in 32ul.

My Problem is, when I run 'ybin' I got this message:
Code:
ioctl32(nvsetenv:15827): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(2007043){t:'p' ; sz:0} arg (00000009) on /dev/nvram


When I try boot the System I got this ugly grey Screen (Openfirmware) with the message:
Quote:
invalid memory access at %SRR 00000000.00c038d8.........


What have I made wrong? :oops:

Sewulba
_________________
System1:Apple PowerMac Dual G4 @ 1,83GHz with 2GB Ram. 400GB + 80GB HDD, Gentoo 13.0-ppc32
System2:Apple MacIntosh PowerMac Dual G5 @ 2.7 GHz/1,35GHz FSB... 8GB Ram. 250GB SATA. Gentoo 10.0-PPC64-64ul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sewulba
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 497
Location: Heidelberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello...

No help? No ideas?

Sewulba :cry:
_________________
System1:Apple PowerMac Dual G4 @ 1,83GHz with 2GB Ram. 400GB + 80GB HDD, Gentoo 13.0-ppc32
System2:Apple MacIntosh PowerMac Dual G5 @ 2.7 GHz/1,35GHz FSB... 8GB Ram. 250GB SATA. Gentoo 10.0-PPC64-64ul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 1754
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using yaboot-static or yaboot? You should be using yaboot-static.

The error that you're seeing is coming from nvsetenv, a open-source app that allows you to interface with Openfirmware from the Linux CLI.

I'd check with the yaboot / powerpc-utils folks http://powerpc-utils.ozlabs.org/ as they might have some more info. Be prepared to give them your Openfirmware details.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sewulba
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 497
Location: Heidelberg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaneurabeya wrote:
Are you using yaboot-static or yaboot? You should be using yaboot-static.

The error that you're seeing is coming from nvsetenv, a open-source app that allows you to interface with Openfirmware from the Linux CLI.

I'd check with the yaboot / powerpc-utils folks http://powerpc-utils.ozlabs.org/ as they might have some more info. Be prepared to give them your Openfirmware details.


Ahaaaa...

First of all thanx for helping. The Problem is, that yaboot-static ist masked. In the doku stands that if you using 64ul you need yaboot-static and wit 32ul you should use yaboot directly. OK will try it...
THNX

Sewulba :wink:
_________________
System1:Apple PowerMac Dual G4 @ 1,83GHz with 2GB Ram. 400GB + 80GB HDD, Gentoo 13.0-ppc32
System2:Apple MacIntosh PowerMac Dual G5 @ 2.7 GHz/1,35GHz FSB... 8GB Ram. 250GB SATA. Gentoo 10.0-PPC64-64ul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sewulba
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 497
Location: Heidelberg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaneurabeya wrote:
Are you using yaboot-static or yaboot? You should be using yaboot-static.

The error that you're seeing is coming from nvsetenv, a open-source app that allows you to interface with Openfirmware from the Linux CLI.

I'd check with the yaboot / powerpc-utils folks http://powerpc-utils.ozlabs.org/ as they might have some more info. Be prepared to give them your Openfirmware details.


Okay. I can´t install yaboot-static. It is masked by missing keywords. So and now?
It can´t be so hard. I had run PPC64-32ul 1 year ago. No problems. And now it can´t be installed right. with 64ul no problems. There I used yaboot-static. :?

Sewulba :cry:
_________________
System1:Apple PowerMac Dual G4 @ 1,83GHz with 2GB Ram. 400GB + 80GB HDD, Gentoo 13.0-ppc32
System2:Apple MacIntosh PowerMac Dual G5 @ 2.7 GHz/1,35GHz FSB... 8GB Ram. 250GB SATA. Gentoo 10.0-PPC64-64ul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 1754
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should solve it:

Code:
echo "sys-boot/yaboot-static ~ppc64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Posts: 451
Location: Aachen, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC64-32ul can´t boot Reply with quote

please don't install yaboot-static. it's masked for a reason...

sewulba wrote:
Hiii...

I think I got a YABOOT-Problem. Need help!!!
I have made a new Installation on my Dual G5 PowerMac in PPC64-32ul. PPC64-64ul, which I had installed before was no Problem. But I miss many Programs, which are available in 32ul.


which ones. we generally accept ~ppc64 keywords, if you test the packages and they work. (that's most of the packages that are currently not keyworded for ppc64)

sewulba wrote:
My Problem is, when I run 'ybin' I got this message:
Code:
ioctl32(nvsetenv:15827): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(2007043){t:'p' ; sz:0} arg (00000009) on /dev/nvram


When I try boot the System I got this ugly grey Screen (Openfirmware) with the message:
Quote:
invalid memory access at %SRR 00000000.00c038d8.........


What have I made wrong? :oops:

Sewulba


please say, what commands you use before the ybin. do you have /dev mounted to the chroot? (i.e. "mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev") what does your yaboot.conf look like?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sewulba
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 497
Location: Heidelberg

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC64-32ul can´t boot Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
please don't install yaboot-static. it's masked for a reason...

sewulba wrote:
Hiii...

I think I got a YABOOT-Problem. Need help!!!
I have made a new Installation on my Dual G5 PowerMac in PPC64-32ul. PPC64-64ul, which I had installed before was no Problem. But I miss many Programs, which are available in 32ul.


which ones. we generally accept ~ppc64 keywords, if you test the packages and they work. (that's most of the packages that are currently not keyworded for ppc64)

sewulba wrote:
My Problem is, when I run 'ybin' I got this message:
Code:
ioctl32(nvsetenv:15827): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(2007043){t:'p' ; sz:0} arg (00000009) on /dev/nvram


When I try boot the System I got this ugly grey Screen (Openfirmware) with the message:
Quote:
invalid memory access at %SRR 00000000.00c038d8.........


What have I made wrong? :oops:

Sewulba


please say, what commands you use before the ybin. do you have /dev mounted to the chroot? (i.e. "mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev") what does your yaboot.conf look like?


Sorry, I have given up...
I have installed PPC64-64ul again. But the most programs I want to use is not available under 64ul! Equal.

I have used the command mkofboot -v before ybin -v!
Yes I have mounted /dev in chroot by
Code:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

And the yaboot.conf looked like this!
Code:
boot=/dev/sdb4
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:
partition=6
root=/dev/sdb11
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/sdb3

image=/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
   label=Linux
   read-only
   append="video=rafeonfb:1280x1024"

This yaboot.conf works under 64ul!

Sewulba :wink:

PS.: 32ul would be prefered by me! There are less programs for 64ul
_________________
System1:Apple PowerMac Dual G4 @ 1,83GHz with 2GB Ram. 400GB + 80GB HDD, Gentoo 13.0-ppc32
System2:Apple MacIntosh PowerMac Dual G5 @ 2.7 GHz/1,35GHz FSB... 8GB Ram. 250GB SATA. Gentoo 10.0-PPC64-64ul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum