Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Elisa 0.3.5 local media not seen [SOLVED] by masking twisted
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lappen wrote:
bobert wrote:

1) Can you tell me if you are able to start elisa or not?

It doesn't start, I can see the logo and the errormsg in my terminal. I have to press ctrl-c to close it as it doesn't crash just sits there. It never dumps anything in /tmp even if I enable that option at boot time.

Quote:

2) If you are able to start it without crashing, are you still having the same problem of not seeing local media files but are able to play online content like youtube, flickr and shoutcast streams?

El3.4, Tw3.4 above problem never tried online content.
El3.5, Tw3.5 top answer, doesn't work.
El3.5, Tw3.4 starts up until I see a black screen no menu but atleast it doesn't stall at the logo.


Quote:

3) Also very important is if you are able to see the "Folders" Icon alongside the "Internet" Icon when you browse the various media types in elisa.
If you can't see the "Folders" Icon at all it means you have not defined a media directory in your elisa.conf file so you should backup your .elisa directory and remove it before running elisa, then exit elisa and edit the elisa.conf file adding the media directory like so:

Not sure, can't rememer though I tried removing the elisa dir and it didn't work.

Code:

[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['file:///home/lappen/video', 'file:///home/lappen/audio']
auto_locations = 1

Yup something similar
Code:

[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Music/', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Images', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Video']
auto_locations = 0

[[file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Music]]
label = 'Music'
only_media = ['audio']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images]]
label = 'Images'
only_media = ['image']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video]]
label = 'Video'
only_media = ['video']
location_type = 'local'



Quote:
This will tell us what versions of elisa dependencies you have installed so we can compare it to mine which is listed below:

Almost exactly as yours I had to upgrade sys-apps/dbus, dev-python/dbus-python and also emerge net-dns/avahi with the qt3 flag enabled. The only difference between yours and my output right now is media-video/elisa-0.3.5 USE="dvd lirc -daap -doc -ipod, maybe the next thing to try but have to get some sleep.

good night



Hey lappen, I just realized that I forgot to include dev-python/twisted-web in the list of dependencies that you need to install. Please check if you have that package installed because I was just going through your output log line by line and it seems to be complaining about not being able to import the web module which is included with the twisted-web package. It's a longshot but if you don't have it installed emerge dev-python/twisted-web now. The version i have is 8.1.0 so try to emerge that version at least.

Cheers! :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
59729
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey lappen, I just realized that I forgot to include dev-python/twisted-web in the list of dependencies that you need to install. Please check if you have that package installed because I was just going through your output log line by line and it seems to be complaining about not being able to import the web module which is included with the twisted-web package. It's a longshot but if you don't have it installed emerge dev-python/twisted-web now. The version i have is 8.1.0 so try to emerge that version at least.
Cheers! :wink:

YEEEEEEEEES it worked thank you, so a clarification if anyone else have this problem.

dev-python/twisted-web-8.1.0 depends on dev-python/twisted-8.1.0, elisa 0.3.5 does not work with dev-python/twisted-8.1.0. So just make sure you pull both those in im sure there is an easy way to do that with package.provided but I just merged both those packages by unmasking them, then I masked twisted-8.1.0 and unmasked 2.5.0 and reemerged the package.




Btw do you have any problems that elise changes your config? I make sure I have this in my config when booting up
Code:

[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Music/', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Images', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Video']
auto_locations = 0

[[file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Music]]
label = 'Music'
only_media = ['audio']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images]]
label = 'Images'
only_media = ['image']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video]]
label = 'Video'
only_media = ['video']
location_type = 'local'


Though when choosing folders in videos, pictures or music I have all those folders in each and every one of them. When checking the config elisa has changed it to
Code:
[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Music/', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Images', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Video', 'file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video', 'file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images']
auto_locations = 0

[[file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Music]]
label = 'Music'
only_media = ['audio']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images]]
label = u'Images'
only_media = ['audio', 'video', 'image']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video]]
label = u'Video'
only_media = ['audio', 'video', 'image']
location_type = 'local'


Now i'm off to test elisa a bit thanks mate :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo! Glad to hear that you've got it up and running. :D
I'm a bit embarrassed that I did not catch the problem earlier but I think that the guy who's maintaining the elisa package should include twisted-web as a dependency in the ebuild. :oops:
I sure hope the other guy "flacvest" did not run into this problem or that if he did, he's still monitoring this thread and will catch the fix for it before he gives up on it like me and, I suspect, a lot of others have in the past.

lappen wrote:
Quote:

Hey lappen, I just realized that I forgot to include dev-python/twisted-web in the list of dependencies that you need to install. Please check if you have that package installed because I was just going through your output log line by line and it seems to be complaining about not being able to import the web module which is included with the twisted-web package. It's a longshot but if you don't have it installed emerge dev-python/twisted-web now. The version i have is 8.1.0 so try to emerge that version at least.
Cheers! :wink:

YEEEEEEEEES it worked thank you, so a clarification if anyone else have this problem.

dev-python/twisted-web-8.1.0 depends on dev-python/twisted-8.1.0, elisa 0.3.5 does not work with dev-python/twisted-8.1.0. So just make sure you pull both those in im sure there is an easy way to do that with package.provided but I just merged both those packages by unmasking them, then I masked twisted-8.1.0 and unmasked 2.5.0 and reemerged the package.




Btw do you have any problems that elise changes your config? I make sure I have this in my config when booting up
Code:

[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Music/', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Images', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Video']
auto_locations = 0

[[file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Music]]
label = 'Music'
only_media = ['audio']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images]]
label = 'Images'
only_media = ['image']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video]]
label = 'Video'
only_media = ['video']
location_type = 'local'


Though when choosing folders in videos, pictures or music I have all those folders in each and every one of them. When checking the config elisa has changed it to
Code:
[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Music/', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Images', 'file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Video', 'file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video', 'file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images']
auto_locations = 0

[[file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Music]]
label = 'Music'
only_media = ['audio']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images]]
label = u'Images'
only_media = ['audio', 'video', 'image']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video]]
label = u'Video'
only_media = ['audio', 'video', 'image']
location_type = 'local'


Now i'm off to test elisa a bit thanks mate :)


When you explicitly declare media specific folders, you should leave them out of the general location entry.

Try the following:

Code:
[xmlmenu:locations_builder]
locations = ['']
auto_locations = 0

[[file:////home/lappen/Multimedia/Music]]
label = 'Music'
only_media = ['audio']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Images]]
label = u'Images'
only_media = ['audio', 'video', 'image']
location_type = 'local'

[[file:///home/lappen/Multimedia/Video]]
label = u'Video'
only_media = ['audio', 'video', 'image']
location_type = 'local'


Good Luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Hi Guys, ran into a snag Reply with quote

My system won't boot. There's apparently an issue with my home partition which is XFS and I accidentally did a HARD shutdown instead of the correct way. There was some data corruption, but I ran xfs_check then mounted and unmounted the partition as described here:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_repair

and then ran xfs_repair.

While I have my partitions mounted via live cd do you guys think I should rebuild genkernel and reinstall grub via chroot? I have 13 partitions, and would hate to keep monkeying around and not fixing the system. I want to fix it!! :)

I would love to know if you guys have the know how or know who to put me in touch with to solve these problems as I describe here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=5123032#5123032

my post is near the bottom.

I am still at a loss as to how to procede to reestablish a functional system.

I do have a question: how do you create a boot entry for a "recovery" kernel like Ubuntu does? Maybe that would save my bacon in the future. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I am still interested in getting Elisa Media Center to work, I just NEED to have a working system first! LOL I really don't know what I did or how to fix it. Though I have run the xfs_repair on the home partition, which is a seperate drive.

OH, yeah, when I boot up, I get to this point that says I am caching services and that some local filesystems have not mounted (I'm guessing the home partition)

Any idea what to check for?
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Guys, ran into a snag Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
My system won't boot. There's apparently an issue with my home partition which is XFS and I accidentally did a HARD shutdown instead of the correct way. There was some data corruption, but I ran xfs_check then mounted and unmounted the partition as described here:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_repair

and then ran xfs_repair.

While I have my partitions mounted via live cd do you guys think I should rebuild genkernel and reinstall grub via chroot? I have 13 partitions, and would hate to keep monkeying around and not fixing the system. I want to fix it!! :)

I would love to know if you guys have the know how or know who to put me in touch with to solve these problems as I describe here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=5123032#5123032

my post is near the bottom.

I am still at a loss as to how to procede to reestablish a functional system.

I do have a question: how do you create a boot entry for a "recovery" kernel like Ubuntu does? Maybe that would save my bacon in the future. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I am still interested in getting Elisa Media Center to work, I just NEED to have a working system first! LOL I really don't know what I did or how to fix it. Though I have run the xfs_repair on the home partition, which is a seperate drive.

OH, yeah, when I boot up, I get to this point that says I am caching services and that some local filesystems have not mounted (I'm guessing the home partition)

Any idea what to check for?


Hey there flacvest, I just read the thread that you've linked to and just to clarify. Are you able to boot into a stable system but are just not able to mount your home partition or are you experiencing the same lockups spontaneous reboots as burningcf? If your problem is just not being able to mount your home partition then you are having a different problem then the author of this thread.

Boot into a livecd and try to mount your home partition. If you are by some miracle able to mount it, start backing up the data on your home partition to another drive or partition. If you can do that do that without too many errors, reformat your home partition and copy your data back to it.

If you are unable to mount the drive from the livecd, then you need to use dd to create an image of the drive onto a healthy partition/drive and perform whatever file-system level repair operations on this image and leave the faulty partition/drive alone.

I have no experience with the xfs file-system, but from what you've described about your problem, I strongly suspect that you've somehow hosed your file-system by doing a hard poweroff. I personally use ext3 on all of my machines none of which I run on a UPS and I live in an area with very frequent power failures but I've never managed to wreck any of my files-systems when the power would go down a couple of times a month at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: I am able to successfully mount my /home drive partition Reply with quote

So, I have evertything backed up for the most part. Is it then wise to copy the new stuff over to another partition/drive and reformat the /home partition??

I am unable to boot with the kernel specified in the GRUB boot-up screen (the one with the nice Gentoo background) where you can edit the boot params or press Enter to boot.

Should I, now having repaired the XFS partition:

1: copy data to disk/DVD (sounds like a yes)
2: unmount and reboot the system to see if it will boot post-repair of that filesystem (the whole drive is formatted as a single XFS partition)
then if Gentoo boots up all the way (which has not happened till now) reformat the /home partition?
3: what do i do in the case that I can no longer boot even if I remove the home partition from mtab and use another (spare one I call /vault)?
4: should I start off in the guide as if I am building genkernel from scratch, etc?

I seriously need advice.

Thanks for lending a hand guys.
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Just reread your post Reply with quote

So should I wipe and RMA the drive? Is it likely defective??
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flacvest, before you do anything else with your drive you need to determine if there's anything wrong with it and if you need to RMA it.

I use "spinrite" myself but it's not free so if you don't feel like shelling out any money for software then the following steps should help.


One sure indicator of impending drive failure is if you do a dmesg and you see

Code:

ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
ata1: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }


or similar output scroll up through your screen. If so you should back everything up and RMA the drive.

If you don't see those errors you should run "badblocks" on your drive/partition and if you see block numbers scroll up your screen you know your drive is about to fail.


If your system comes with any diagnostic software then you see if it has a drive test in it though your mileage might vary on these but it should catch the more serious drive problems.

Hope this helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: running dmesg and badblocks... Reply with quote

So, I ran dmesg, and didn't see anything like you were worried I'd see, bobert (however i am in a root shell and it scrolled by SuperFast so I could have missed a message) Although, on the bright side it said XFS jmounted filesystem sdb1 (my home drive, a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB) cleanly at the end of the dmesg output. I am now running badblocks, which I will venture a guess to be at least as slow as xfs_check, and will probably take All Day Long (tm) (LOL) on a terabyte drive.

The command was formed thusly:

badblocks /dev/sdb1

...If it should be formed in a different way to allow me to see output, pls advise.

I will also try to dig up the Hitachi software for checking out the drive that came with this Deskstar 1TB. What kind of message should I look for at the end of the badblocks command performed???

Do I need to get something better like Spinrite to determine if the drive is OK, it was a $380 investment when it was new. and I cant handle dealing with data loss. Pls advise.

I appreciate EVERYTHING you and the other Gentoo Community Members are doing to help me get my machine running again!

You're the Greatest!!

Best,
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: running dmesg and badblocks... Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
So, I ran dmesg, and didn't see anything like you were worried I'd see, bobert (however i am in a root shell and it scrolled by SuperFast so I could have missed a message) Although, on the bright side it said XFS jmounted filesystem sdb1 (my home drive, a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB) cleanly at the end of the dmesg output. I am now running badblocks, which I will venture a guess to be at least as slow as xfs_check, and will probably take All Day Long (tm) (LOL) on a terabyte drive.

The command was formed thusly:

badblocks /dev/sdb1

...If it should be formed in a different way to allow me to see output, pls advise.

I will also try to dig up the Hitachi software for checking out the drive that came with this Deskstar 1TB. What kind of message should I look for at the end of the badblocks command performed???

Do I need to get something better like Spinrite to determine if the drive is OK, it was a $380 investment when it was new. and I cant handle dealing with data loss. Pls advise.

I appreciate EVERYTHING you and the other Gentoo Community Members are doing to help me get my machine running again!

You're the Greatest!!

Best,


flacvest, typing

Code:
dmesg | less


will let you scroll through your dmesg output with the up and down keys. Press "q" when you're done.

Your badblocks command should look like this

Code:
badblocks -vs /dev/sdb1


because the -vs switches will give you a nice progress report and verbose output will give you more information about the process while you wait. Also periodically do a

Code:
dmesg | grep ata


while waiting for your badblocks command to complete and see if you get the drive errors that I mentioned in my previous post though with a terabyte drive, you might be waiting a long time.

Also you mentioned Hitachi in your post so I'm gonna assume your drive is made by hitachi and point you to http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm?linkto=QL#DFT. The direct link to their drive fitness test boot-able cd image is http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/dft32_v413_b00.iso which you can download and burn onto a CD-R.

If you perform all these steps and don't get an error your drive should be fine but if you're still not convinced canvas your friends/family for anyone who owns a copy of spinrite (grc.com) for you to borrow.

Cheers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Well I checke out SpinRite's videos from Tech TV Reply with quote

Sounds good, but what do I do now that I am between checks? tried bringing the machine back up and after the cr2 error messages it loaded the filesystems, stated "XFS mounting filesystem sdb1
Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem sdb1
mount: unknown filesystem type 'user'
*Some local filesystems failed to mount [!!]
*Mounting USB device filesystem (usbfs)... [ok]
*Activating (possible) swap...
Adding 8385920k swap on /dev/sda3. Priority: -1 extents:1 across:8385920 [ok] (this is the right value for the swap partition and the right partition id)
* Setting up dm-crypt mappings ... [ok]
* Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ... [ok]
* Configuring kernel parameters ... [ok]
* Updating Environment... [ok]
* Cleaning /var/lock, /var/run ... [ok]
* Wiping /tmp directory... [ok]
* Caching service dependencies..."


and then just hangs permanently....

What's all that cr@p mean??

:oops: Thourougly caught off guard and at a loss,
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Erlend
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 493

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Well I checke out SpinRite's videos from Tech TV Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
Sounds good, but what do I do now that I am between checks? tried bringing the machine back up and after the cr2 error messages it loaded the filesystems, stated "XFS mounting filesystem sdb1
Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem sdb1
mount: unknown filesystem type 'user'


Hmm, that looks suspiciously like a problem with your /etc/fstab file. When a partition is mounted the command it something like,
Code:
mount -t filesystem_type -o filesystem_options /dev/... /mnt/...

If you had "user" as your "filesystem_type", you would get the above error.
_________________
Thunar-thumbnailers
Raw-thumbnailer
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6878/image/1/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Well I checke out SpinRite's videos from Tech TV Reply with quote

Erlend wrote:
flacvest wrote:
Sounds good, but what do I do now that I am between checks? tried bringing the machine back up and after the cr2 error messages it loaded the filesystems, stated "XFS mounting filesystem sdb1
Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem sdb1
mount: unknown filesystem type 'user'


Hmm, that looks suspiciously like a problem with your /etc/fstab file. When a partition is mounted the command it something like,
Code:
mount -t filesystem_type -o filesystem_options /dev/... /mnt/...

If you had "user" as your "filesystem_type", you would get the above error.


Yeah you're right, it looks like flacvest has missed the "fs_vfstype"(file-system-type) field in his fstab entry for his XFS partition and the first option in his "fs_mntops"(file-system-options) field, "user" is being interpreted as the file-system-type for that partition.

Flacvest, please post your /etc/fstab here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: I suppose you guys will prove right... Reply with quote

I just ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test on the disk with no detected errors, I suppose I will do a slow test if the fstab proves not to be the problem.

The tech support individual I was sent to for help with Linux/XFS was not a Gentoo expert (he said so himself) and suggested I boot without modules loaded. I would like to have a "backup kernel" to boot into but I didn't know how to set one up. Sorry to be a dork, I will now remount the system via live cd and post the fstab file.

Thanks!
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Contents of etc fstab Reply with quote

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda2 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda5 /tmp ext2 noatime 0 2
/dev/sda6 /var/tmp ext2 noatime 0 2
/dev/sda7 /usr xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda8 /var xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda9 /usr/portage xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda10 /usr/portage/distfiles xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda11 /opt xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda12 /vault xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sdb1 /home xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto,user 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0








Can you guys spot any goof-ups?
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Contents of etc fstab Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda2 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda5 /tmp ext2 noatime 0 2
/dev/sda6 /var/tmp ext2 noatime 0 2
/dev/sda7 /usr xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda8 /var xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda9 /usr/portage xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda10 /usr/portage/distfiles xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda11 /opt xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda12 /vault xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sdb1 /home xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto,user 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0








Can you guys spot any goof-ups?


flacvest, this line

Code:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto,user 0 0


should read

Code:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user 0 0


The "auto" and "user" strings which should be separate fields were joined by the comma into single field which is causing the

Code:
mount: unknown filesystem type 'user'


error when you boot.

It does not seem like it would prevent your system from booting properly though, so try fixing the error and have a go at a reboot. If it doesn't make a huge difference which i expect it won't then we have to look elsewhere for the source of your boot problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Different Results after Reboot... Reply with quote

Hi bobert, Erland, lappen, others....

I still get the "* some local filesystem failed to mount [!!] but this time XFS tells me Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem sdb1
mount: no medium found"

This sounds like the drive has a destroyed file system to you???? It still hangs at "* caching service dependencies... "
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: No medium found... Reply with quote

After re-mounting via live cd the /dev/sdb1 partition on drive sdb (the hitachi) and performing xfs_repair /dev/sdb1 again then being able to read the data, I tried another re-boot and... get the no medium found message after XFS mounts filesystem sdb1 then everything is the same as listed in the post before, and it hangs at Caching service dependencies...

Tearing hair out, but curious... fstab is now "corrected", but how does the mtab file take a hand in the bootup process? maybe mtab is read over fstab in preference then that could mean mtab is incorrect... what do you guys think?
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: No medium found... Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
After re-mounting via live cd the /dev/sdb1 partition on drive sdb (the hitachi) and performing xfs_repair /dev/sdb1 again then being able to read the data, I tried another re-boot and... get the no medium found message after XFS mounts filesystem sdb1 then everything is the same as listed in the post before, and it hangs at Caching service dependencies...

Tearing hair out, but curious... fstab is now "corrected", but how does the mtab file take a hand in the bootup process? maybe mtab is read over fstab in preference then that could mean mtab is incorrect... what do you guys think?


Flacvest,

The fstab file is a list of file-systems to be mounted on start-up and will contain mount options and other information for the mount command to use when mounting them. The mtab file is a list of the currently mounted files-systems and is updated by the mount command when you mount/unmount file-systems on your system.

Here's another thing I might suggest. Boot into a live-cd, check your fstab for any xfs file-systems besides /dev/sdb1. Run xfs_repair on all of them.

Code:
/dev/sda7 /usr xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda8 /var xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda9 /usr/portage xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda10 /usr/portage/distfiles xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda11 /opt xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda12 /vault xfs noatime 0 2


looks like you need to run xfs_repair on /dev/sda7,/dev/sda8,/dev/sda9,/dev/sda10/,/dev/sda11 and /dev/sda12. After you do that, repair all your ext2/ext3 file-systems too.

So you need to run

Code:
e2fsck -vf /dev/sda1 && e2fsck -vf /dev/sda2 && e2fsck -vf /dev/sda5 && e2fsck -vf /dev/sda6


After you do that, comment out the non essential file-systems in your fstab.

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda2 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda5 /tmp ext2 noatime 0 2
/dev/sda6 /var/tmp ext2 noatime 0 2
/dev/sda7 /usr xfs noatime 0 2
/dev/sda8 /var xfs noatime 0 2
#/dev/sda9 /usr/portage xfs noatime 0 2
#/dev/sda10 /usr/portage/distfiles xfs noatime 0 2
#/dev/sda11 /opt xfs noatime 0 2
#/dev/sda12 /vault xfs noatime 0 2
#/dev/sdb1 /home xfs noatime 0 2
#/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0


Reboot and see if you can't get to a login prompt. I suspect another one of your xfs file-systems is hosed as well and is preventing your system from properly starting up. The above will repair all file-systems and not mount all the non-critical ones
so that you have a better chance of getting to a login. Once you have logged in to your system you can manually mount the partitions that have been commented out and see which one is giving you an error and uncomment those that are error free.

Hope this works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Thanks bobert! Reply with quote

That should keep me busy tonight!!

I will let y'all know of the progress and hopefully I can get back to working on Elisa by tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Time to install the Air Conditioner!! Yay!! It's hot in Silicon Valley USA
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: No Joy... Reply with quote

I ran the suggested repairs on the ext2 & ext3 filesystems, mounted and unmounted each xfs filesystem & ran xfs_repair -v on each xfs filesystem. I then mounted /dev/sda2 to access the /etc/fstab file, commented out nonessential filesystems in fstab as suggested & saved, then umnounted /dev/dsa2. Next I rebooted the machine with "shutdown -hr now".

Upon boot I recieved the 'bad RIP value' error and 'udev d event [6253] run_program '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit'.

I'm going to check the forums and google, but all I've turned up so far is Ubuntu doc stuff RE: kernel bugs. BTW my kernel is a genkernel kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8.

Hopefully some info will turn up or y'all will have some clue from this information as to what is going wrong.

Also, is there a way to get back into a chroot environment via live cd, then build a kernel as an auxilliary that DOESN'T load modules and will only spit out a login prompt/command line that I can install into GRUB as a recovery/backup kernel??? (I'm not trying to sound intelligent, as I am very much out of my element, but this seems logical based on my experience with Ubuntu).

Please Advise,

Thanks again,
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Sep 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No Joy... Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
I ran the suggested repairs on the ext2 & ext3 filesystems, mounted and unmounted each xfs filesystem & ran xfs_repair -v on each xfs filesystem. I then mounted /dev/sda2 to access the /etc/fstab file, commented out nonessential filesystems in fstab as suggested & saved, then umnounted /dev/dsa2. Next I rebooted the machine with "shutdown -hr now".

Upon boot I recieved the 'bad RIP value' error and 'udev d event [6253] run_program '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit'.

I'm going to check the forums and google, but all I've turned up so far is Ubuntu doc stuff RE: kernel bugs. BTW my kernel is a genkernel kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8.

Hopefully some info will turn up or y'all will have some clue from this information as to what is going wrong.

Also, is there a way to get back into a chroot environment via live cd, then build a kernel as an auxilliary that DOESN'T load modules and will only spit out a login prompt/command line that I can install into GRUB as a recovery/backup kernel??? (I'm not trying to sound intelligent, as I am very much out of my element, but this seems logical based on my experience with Ubuntu).

Please Advise,

Thanks again,


In order to get into a chroot environment from your livecd, you need to duplicate the steps you followed when you first installed your gentoo system but ommit the step where you format your various partitions.

Here's a quick guide assembled with info from the fstab that you posted.


Boot into your livecd, and at the login prompt do the following

Code:
cd /mnt

mkdir -p gentoo

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/gentoo/tmp

mount /dev/sda6 /var/tmp

mount /dev/sda7 /usr

mount /dev/sda8 /var

mount /dev/sda9 /usr/portage

mount /dev/sda10 /usr/portage/distfiles

mount /dev/sda11 /opt

mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

mount -o bind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys

cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/

cd /mnt/gentoo

chroot . /bin/bash --login

env-update && source /etc/profile




If you managed to do the above steps without encountering any errors, you should now have your system running in a chroot environment.

From within your chroot environment, you can compile a new kernel and do any updates to your system via an

Code:
emerge --sync


Good Luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Thank you so much Reply with quote

This should get me going!

I'll post my success (I've decided I'm going to win!!) when I accomplish it. You're awesome!
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Successfull chroot!! Reply with quote

I have chrooted into my system, and am syncing then will rebuild my genkernel and sync again!! thanks bobert!

Exstatic, :D
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 152
Location: San Jose, CA USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Elisa-0.3.5 fails to work for me... Reply with quote

It's installed but won't 'boot'. No startup screen, no ~/.elisa, nothing.

I followed lappen's advice and upgraded as suggested my components, and nada.

Able to lend a hand (now that I'm broken in and know how to recompile my kernel as well as chroot and grub-install as well as learning my way around /etc/make.conf and USE flags)??
_________________
.:{flacvest}:.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum