Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Official thread: "zenmm-sources" - Latest: 2.6.27-rc1-zenmm0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I'm the only one using klive it's useless :( :evil:

@rmh3093:

if you want more feedback klive-wise - drop a note on the zen-repositories, the homepage and the zen-threads, that way the situation (hopefully) will improve :idea: :)
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrrrrrrr.....What the hell am I doing wrong then?? I have hard locks and a ton of those rcu_boost bugs/warnings.

I am using klive now as well. ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
grrrrrrrrr.....What the hell am I doing wrong then?? I have hard locks and a ton of those rcu_boost bugs/warnings.


good luck, buddy - here comes the kernel-config :)

http://paste.ubuntu.com/27819/
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D


Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woohoo!!! cheat sheet!!

Thanks KoT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
woohoo!!! cheat sheet!!

Thanks KoT!


just uploaded to a paste-service (added link),

the forum cuts out several lines :idea:

you're welcome :)
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
mroconnor wrote:
woohoo!!! cheat sheet!!

Thanks KoT!


just uploaded to a paste-service (added link),

the forum cuts out several lines :idea:

you're welcome :)


update:

this is a configuration somewhat "specific" to an dell m1330 + p5w dh deluxe asus box, but should work on your box, too (amd64 / 64bit)

good luck;


this kernel (2.6.26-rc8-mm3) is simply amazing ! it has an average load of 29.15 - 29.27 (currently compiling a kernel + testing stability) and has no lags 8O 8O 8O ,

internet streaming of audio (shoutcast) works perfectly, nearly no lagging / delay in input via mouse/keyboard + output via display, working & launching of apps has also nearly no delay


from me you guys get an A+ :wink:

thanks a thousands times :)

I hope 2.6.26-mm1 will have this kind of quality, too
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
grrrrrrrrr.....What the hell am I doing wrong then?? I have hard locks and a ton of those rcu_boost bugs/warnings.

I am using klive now as well. ;)


do u still have *_trace enabled? if so get rid of it, u dont need it
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
mroconnor wrote:
woohoo!!! cheat sheet!!

Thanks KoT!


just uploaded to a paste-service (added link),

the forum cuts out several lines :idea:

you're welcome :)


update:

this is a configuration somewhat "specific" to an dell m1330 + p5w dh deluxe asus box, but should work on your box, too (amd64 / 64bit)

good luck;


this kernel (2.6.26-rc8-mm3) is simply amazing ! it has an average load of 29.15 - 29.27 (currently compiling a kernel + testing stability) and has no lags 8O 8O 8O ,

internet streaming of audio (shoutcast) works perfectly, nearly no lagging / delay in input via mouse/keyboard + output via display, working & launching of apps has also nearly no delay


from me you guys get an A+ :wink:

thanks a thousands times :)

I hope 2.6.26-mm1 will have this kind of quality, too


im glad its working well for you, it works great for me too... i really wish i knew what was blowing up for mroconnor and cheater
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rmh3093 & @KoT:
I'll be back at it tonight testing out things. I think a lot of the bugs that *_trace is throwning might be ignored so I will get rid of it. I'm going to check my .config against KoT's and see whats up. But WOW KoT you have everything in your .config ;)


Anyway I think I can get it sorted out and back running smoothly soon.

@rmh3093: how hard is it to go from baselayout2 to einit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
@rmh3093 & @KoT:
I'll be back at it tonight testing out things. I think a lot of the bugs that *_trace is throwning might be ignored so I will get rid of it. I'm going to check my .config against KoT's and see whats up. But WOW KoT you have everything in your .config ;)


Anyway I think I can get it sorted out and back running smoothly soon.

@rmh3093: how hard is it to go from baselayout2 to einit?


well they dont mess with each other so u can switch back and forth....

einit takes a little patients editing some xml config files and not every program has an init script so for something obscure you might need to make your own script
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kicior
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 179
Location: Lublin, Poland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have hardlocks sometimes with zenmm3 and very often my network is dead (reloading module doesn't help, even ethtool claims there is no link detected - after reboot network is back (module e1000)). rc9-zen1 is working ok, but hdaps is not working:
Code:
hdaps: IBM ThinkPad R61 detected.
hdaps: driver init failed (ret=-6)!
I have also a lot of garbage in dmesg.
_________________
Pozdrawiam,
Kicior


Last edited by kicior on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 2720
Location: Munich, Bavaria

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runs smooth like oiled ferret again with all fancy stuff enabled: rcu preempt, IRQ threading, LLD-Preempt & tunables, Reiser4, -march=native - all fine.

All I can do to help is maybe also provide my .config: http://phpfi.com/332998
_________________
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki - pro-audio software overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicior wrote:
I still have hardlocks sometimes with zenmm3 and very often my network is dead (reloading module doesn't help, even ethtool claims there is no link detected - after reboot network is back (module e1000)). rc9-zen1 is working ok, but hdaps is not working:
Code:
hdaps: IBM ThinkPad R61 detected.
hdaps: driver init failed (ret=-6)!
I have also a lot of garbage in dmesg.

EDIT: posting to forums on a blackberry while driving is both dangerous and a sign of -zen addiction.

I can confirm hdaps works on my z61m w/ -zenmm3. But bec_se I have a lot of other issues right now I can't confirm if it works well w/ the fancy stuff(irq etc etc).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel-rt.git zenrt-sources

EDIT: not all the branches are merged but it works on my box, dmesg is a little dirty but i think its non fatal as the kernel is still alive
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel-rt.git zenrt-sources

EDIT: not all the branches are merged but it works on my box, dmesg is a little dirty but i think its non fatal as the kernel is still alive


What would be the differences between -zenrt & -zenmm?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel-rt.git zenrt-sources

EDIT: not all the branches are merged but it works on my box, dmesg is a little dirty but i think its non fatal as the kernel is still alive


What would be the differences between -zenrt & -zenmm?


well i found a git repo that has up-to-date -rt in it so -zenrt will be based on that with the normal zen branches merged into it, also I will try and merge as much of -mm brokenout at some point
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all but giving up on -zenmm3, it just doesnt like me(or the laptop). Going to try ne last thing and get rid of HDAPS and tp_smapi and see what happens.
EDIT:
I removed tp_smapi & HDAPS but still have this in dmesg:
Code:
------------[ cut here ]------------
WARNING: at kernel/lockdep.c:2085 handle_IRQ_event+0xd0/0xee()
Modules linked in: snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device radeon snd_hda_intel snd_pcm snd_timer snd intel_agp iwl3945 soundcore snd_page_alloc
Pid: 3442, comm: IRQ-216 Not tainted 2.6.26-rc8-zenmm3 #26

Call Trace:
 [<ffffffff802304d1>] warn_on_slowpath+0x51/0x77
 [<ffffffff80250dbd>] __lock_acquire+0xf44/0xf53
 [<ffffffff802619f2>] __rcu_read_unlock+0x94/0xa2
 [<ffffffff80210fa4>] native_sched_clock+0x4a/0x67
 [<ffffffff8024df28>] get_lock_stats+0x24/0x50
 [<ffffffff8025e82e>] do_irqd+0x182/0x2f7
 [<ffffffff8024f825>] trace_hardirqs_on_caller+0xb4/0x123
 [<ffffffff8025e349>] handle_IRQ_event+0xd0/0xee
 [<ffffffff8025e839>] do_irqd+0x18d/0x2f7
 [<ffffffff8024f86a>] trace_hardirqs_on_caller+0xf9/0x123
 [<ffffffff8025e6ac>] do_irqd+0x0/0x2f7
 [<ffffffff8024295f>] kthread+0x47/0x73
 [<ffffffff8053337e>] trace_hardirqs_on_thunk+0x3a/0x3f
 [<ffffffff8020c1d8>] child_rip+0xa/0x12
 [<ffffffff8020b8c3>] restore_args+0x0/0x30
 [<ffffffff80242918>] kthread+0x0/0x73
 [<ffffffff8020c1ce>] child_rip+0x0/0x12

INFO: lockdep is turned off.


Now the interesting thing is without HDAPS/tp_smapi I no longer have cpu0 running at 93-96%. cpu0 now operates at about 14% while cpu1 is at 4%, this is while I am typing this and nothing else. I still have a lot of activity on a process call IRQ-0 and I see a lot of softirq process creeping into the top 3.

I am not sure what is going on....more testing i suppose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages


Two things are apperant, one my cpufreq is now working kind of correctly, no errors like this:
Code:
Jul 17 14:52:12 cosmo cpufreqd: cpufreqd_loop            : Cannot set policy, Rule unchanged ("AC Rule").
Jul 17 14:52:14 cosmo cpufreqd: cpufreqd_set_profile     : Couldn't set profile "Performance Low" set for cpu0 (1667000-1667000-performance)


And no wacky bug/warning messages like before. AND i haven't hardlocked yet.

Who wants to bet? HDAPs or tp_smapi?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDAPS and something arent playing nicely together. When HDAPS in a module cpu0 goes crazy with utilization, with no HDAPS the laptop is happy with the exception of the lockdep error when booting.

I am going to research more, there was some talk about lockdep and IRQs in 2006 with -mm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
HDAPS and something arent playing nicely together. When HDAPS in a module cpu0 goes crazy with utilization, with no HDAPS the laptop is happy with the exception of the lockdep error when booting.

I am going to research more, there was some talk about lockdep and IRQs in 2006 with -mm.


i had a feeling i was hdaps
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get this, even with out HDAPs, grrr.

Code:

Jul 17 16:12:38 cosmo WARNING: at kernel/lockdep.c:2085 handle_IRQ_event+0xd0/0xee()
Jul 17 16:12:38 cosmo Modules linked in: snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device tp_smapi hdaps thinkpad_ec radeon snd_hda_intel snd_pcm snd_timer snd iwl3945 intel_agp soundcore snd_page_alloc
Jul 17 16:12:38 cosmo Pid: 3482, comm: IRQ-216 Not tainted 2.6.26-rc8-zenmm3 #28
.........


But it does seem to run nicely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
I still get this, even with out HDAPs, grrr.

Code:

Jul 17 16:12:38 cosmo WARNING: at kernel/lockdep.c:2085 handle_IRQ_event+0xd0/0xee()
Jul 17 16:12:38 cosmo Modules linked in: snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device tp_smapi hdaps thinkpad_ec radeon snd_hda_intel snd_pcm snd_timer snd iwl3945 intel_agp soundcore snd_page_alloc
Jul 17 16:12:38 cosmo Pid: 3482, comm: IRQ-216 Not tainted 2.6.26-rc8-zenmm3 #28
.........


But it does seem to run nicely.


well u say with out hdaps but that message still referrs to tp_smapi and hdaps as if they were loaded
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt build in or make modules of HDAPS and I forgot to remove it from /etc/conf.d/modules. I think that is the reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1159

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
mroconnor wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel-rt.git zenrt-sources

EDIT: not all the branches are merged but it works on my box, dmesg is a little dirty but i think its non fatal as the kernel is still alive


What would be the differences between -zenrt & -zenmm?


well i found a git repo that has up-to-date -rt in it so -zenrt will be based on that with the normal zen branches merged into it, also I will try and merge as much of -mm brokenout at some point


not possible to get nvidia-drivers to install.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
mroconnor wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel-rt.git zenrt-sources

EDIT: not all the branches are merged but it works on my box, dmesg is a little dirty but i think its non fatal as the kernel is still alive


What would be the differences between -zenrt & -zenmm?


well i found a git repo that has up-to-date -rt in it so -zenrt will be based on that with the normal zen branches merged into it, also I will try and merge as much of -mm brokenout at some point


not possible to get nvidia-drivers to install.


thats a shame, radeonhd works like a charm
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum