Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Announcing Pappy's Kernel Seeds. <closed, use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out it was consolekit. It has to be running, so I put it in the default runlevel.

Never had to do this before, which is what threw me. At least all is well now!
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke too soon. Had to rebuild this system, and as far as I know I've done it right, and yet my wireless adapter does not activate on boot (LED doesn't light up to indicate it's turned on).

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-779165-highlight-.html

I know it's a kernel config issue, but I've followed all the advice given in this thread - advice which worked last time.

:?:

audiodef wrote:
Alrighty... I tried adding modules - failed. Recompiled into the kernel - along with some of the options for the wireless adapter, and now it's working! :D

_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the firmware installed?

BB!
P
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I built this machine, a few days ago, I downloaded and "installed" something. Now I don't remember what. That's probably what I was and I thought changing something in the kernel "fixed" my problem, so I let my mind forget what I downloaded (hindsight, argh). I'm slogging through all these READMEs and INSTALLs for Intel wireless drivers and am a little lost. Do you know what the firmware is and where to get it? I do remember that what I did last time was a LOT simpler than all this stuff I'm reading.
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of wireless device is it?

BB!
P
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Intel 4965 AGN.

from lspci:
Code:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerge -av net-wireless/iwl4965-ucode. Also, make sure you set up the driver as a module. You can add LED support and other settings as well at that point.

BB!
P
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. 8)

Will emerge that after the current emerge queue finishes up and let you know how it went.
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again, Pappy is da bomb!

I do know about firmware. I guess this time I was under the impression it was taken care of in the drivers and kernel. My bad.

Thanks! :D
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I think the firmware is "sold separately" for copyright issues, but don't quote me on that.

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And batteries are also not included.
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done prettying up the "Working with Pappy's Kernel Seeds" page. The page loads a bit slower now, but it looks a lot better when it's up. I will be updating more in the next few days, and will post when I do.

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
comprookie2000
Developer
Developer


Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 925
Location: Sun City Center, Florida

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Podcast Interview with Robert Raitz (pappy_mcfae) Reply with quote

I interviewed Robert, if you would like to check it out :D

http://linuxcrazy.com/?q=node/71
_________________
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yojimbosteel
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been trying to install gentoo and have found your* (*Pappy) website and posts helpful. I have been doing some research on my machine and 64-bit processors and have been finding myself more and more confused. Apparently IA-32e is the same as EM64T is the same as Intel 64, or something like that. Through Intel's site I have found that my processor supports EM64T (source: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLV3W). This leaves me with some questions:

1) Regarding install CDs, it looks like I have 3 possible choices: ia64, amd64, and x86. Assuming I have my terminology right (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM64T#Intel_64) I can eliminate amd64 and can eliminate x86 if I want to run 64-bit. Is ia64 the same thing as Intel 64 and EM64T?

As a side note to the above I heard that i686 is more efficient than i386. Both of these refer to a 32-bit architecture correct? So if I used ia64 this would be irrelevant?

2) Intel had a disclaimer:
Quote:
1 Intel® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations.

How do I know if my motherboard/chip-set supports EM64T? I know my BIOS must support it because 32-bit operation works.
Edit: I think everything supports 64-bit because rescue64 succeeded on the SystemRescue disc.

3) Is there a benefit to using 64-bit? I am an engineering student so I am particularly interested in performance and compilation of numerically intensive programs.

Sorry for having so many questions.

4) Architecture, CPU, and chip-sets are mutually exclusive right? This is something I have failed to understand and would love to be enlightened. For example, I could have an Intel processor using an AMD architecture and have yet another vendor for my chip-set?

5) Last question I swear. I've been able to figure out most of your guide so far but got stuck on the character devices. I don't know whether to choose Intel, AMD. something else, or nothing. If the vendor refers to the CPU then I guess it would be Intel but that is where my confusion originates. If the vendor refers to the pci bridge as it appears to in your example (the HW_RANDOM driver appears next to your Intel PCI bridge in the results from http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/) then my vendor is ATI and doesn't appear to have an option.

Thank you for any advice, I have my device files below. Let me know if any of this should be in a different thread.

Code:
PCI ID   Works?   Vendor   Device   Driver   Kernel
10027930      ATI Technologies Inc   Radeon Xpress 7930 Host Bridge      
10027932      ATI Technologies Inc   RS7932 PCI Bridge      
10027934               
10027936      ATI Technologies Inc   RS7936 PCI Bridge      
10027937               
10024387      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI0)      
10024388      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI1)      
10024389      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI2)      
1002438a      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI3)      
1002438b      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI4)      
10024386      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)      
10024385   Yes   ATI Technologies Inc   SBx00 SMBus Controller   i2c-piix4   v2.6.25-
1002438c   Yes   ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 IDE   atiixp   v2.6.25-
10024383   Yes   ATI Technologies Inc   SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)   snd-hda-intel   v2.6.25-
1002438d      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge      
10024384      ATI Technologies Inc   SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge      
10027942      ATI Technologies Inc   Radeon Xpress 1250      
104c8039   Yes   Texas Instruments   PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller   yenta_socket   v2.6.25-
104c803a      Texas Instruments   PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller      
104c803c      Texas Instruments   PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller      
14e41674   Yes   Broadcom Corporation   NetXtreme BCM5756ME Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express   tg3   v2.6.25-
14e44315   Yes   Broadcom Corporation   BCM4312 802.11b/g   ssb   v2.6.30-


Code:
processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 15
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     U7700  @ 1.33GHz
stepping   : 13
cpu MHz      : 1333.571
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 2
apicid      : 0
initial apicid   : 0
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 10
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips   : 2667.14
clflush size   : 64
power management:

processor   : 1
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 15
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     U7700  @ 1.33GHz
stepping   : 13
cpu MHz      : 1333.571
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 1
cpu cores   : 2
apicid      : 1
initial apicid   : 1
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 10
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips   : 2666.82
clflush size   : 64
power management:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yojimbosteel wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to install gentoo and have found your* (*Pappy) website and posts helpful. I have been doing some research on my machine and 64-bit processors and have been finding myself more and more confused. Apparently IA-32e is the same as EM64T is the same as Intel 64, or something like that. Through Intel's site I have found that my processor supports EM64T (source: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLV3W). This leaves me with some questions:

1) Regarding install CDs, it looks like I have 3 possible choices: ia64, amd64, and x86. Assuming I have my terminology right (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM64T#Intel_64) I can eliminate amd64 and can eliminate x86 if I want to run 64-bit. Is ia64 the same thing as Intel 64 and EM64T?

I would be lying if I said I understood all the minutia. However, if rescue64 starts the machine, you can use amd64, which is what I use with my system, core-too.

Quote:
As a side note to the above I heard that i686 is more efficient than i386. Both of these refer to a 32-bit architecture correct? So if I used ia64 this would be irrelevant?

Not to start a flame war with any devotees of this particular issue, but I see no real difference from when this system was running as i486 as opposed to i686. Someone quipped to me that using CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe" with CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu" somehow made this system "less than". Less than what, I'm really not sure. It works the same either way...at least as far as I can tell. It's probably most correct to use CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu" with my CFLAGS, so I changed CHOST to make the scoffer happy. I'm still waiting to notice any discernible difference.

Quote:
2) Intel had a disclaimer:
Quote:
1 Intel® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations.

How do I know if my motherboard/chip-set supports EM64T? I know my BIOS must support it because 32-bit operation works.
Edit: I think everything supports 64-bit because rescue64 succeeded on the SystemRescue disc.

As I said above, that you can use rescue64 and get to boot means you can use the amd64, which is also called x86_64.

Quote:
3) Is there a benefit to using 64-bit? I am an engineering student so I am particularly interested in performance and compilation of numerically intensive programs.

Yeppers. Not only that, but you also would have 64 bit accuracy, which isn't anything to sneeze at.

Quote:
Sorry for having so many questions.

Never apologize for questions. How else are you expected to understand?

Quote:
4) Architecture, CPU, and chip-sets are mutually exclusive right? This is something I have failed to understand and would love to be enlightened. For example, I could have an Intel processor using an AMD architecture and have yet another vendor for my chip-set?

I have seen VIA chipset boards running with both AMD and Intel chips. SIS is another player in the same game...making chipsets for either. Generally speaking, though, my experience is that Intel chips work best with Intel chipsets. I haven't gotten to play with anything that uses nvidia chipsets with Intel chips, but I would like to sometime in the near future.

Quote:
5) Last question I swear. I've been able to figure out most of your guide so far but got stuck on the character devices. I don't know whether to choose Intel, AMD. something else, or nothing. If the vendor refers to the CPU then I guess it would be Intel but that is where my confusion originates. If the vendor refers to the pci bridge as it appears to in your example (the HW_RANDOM driver appears next to your Intel PCI bridge in the results from http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/) then my vendor is ATI and doesn't appear to have an option.

I usually go by the chip manufacturer on that one. Intel chips get Intel random number engine, AMD get AMD.

Quote:
Thank you for any advice, I have my device files below. Let me know if any of this should be in a different thread.

Code:
PCI ID   Works?   Vendor   Device   Driver   Kernel
10027930      ATI Technologies Inc   Radeon Xpress 7930 Host Bridge      
10027932      ATI Technologies Inc   RS7932 PCI Bridge      
10027934               
10027936      ATI Technologies Inc   RS7936 PCI Bridge      
10027937               
10024387      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI0)      
10024388      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI1)      
10024389      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI2)      
1002438a      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI3)      
1002438b      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB (OHCI4)      
10024386      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)      
10024385   Yes   ATI Technologies Inc   SBx00 SMBus Controller   i2c-piix4   v2.6.25-
1002438c   Yes   ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 IDE   atiixp   v2.6.25-
10024383   Yes   ATI Technologies Inc   SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)   snd-hda-intel   v2.6.25-
1002438d      ATI Technologies Inc   SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge      
10024384      ATI Technologies Inc   SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge      
10027942      ATI Technologies Inc   Radeon Xpress 1250      
104c8039   Yes   Texas Instruments   PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller   yenta_socket   v2.6.25-
104c803a      Texas Instruments   PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller      
104c803c      Texas Instruments   PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller      
14e41674   Yes   Broadcom Corporation   NetXtreme BCM5756ME Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express   tg3   v2.6.25-
14e44315   Yes   Broadcom Corporation   BCM4312 802.11b/g   ssb   v2.6.30-


Code:
processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 15
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     U7700  @ 1.33GHz
stepping   : 13
cpu MHz      : 1333.571
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 2
apicid      : 0
initial apicid   : 0
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 10
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips   : 2667.14
clflush size   : 64
power management:

processor   : 1
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 15
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     U7700  @ 1.33GHz
stepping   : 13
cpu MHz      : 1333.571
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 1
cpu cores   : 2
apicid      : 1
initial apicid   : 1
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 10
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips   : 2666.82
clflush size   : 64
power management:

If you're looking to have me set up a kernel for you, yes, i would prefer that you start a new thread. It's not mandatory though, as I'm sure there are lots in this thread. It helps me to keep things straight.

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Podcast Interview with Robert Raitz (pappy_mcfae) Reply with quote

comprookie2000 wrote:
I interviewed Robert, if you would like to check it out :D

http://linuxcrazy.com/?q=node/71


Yes, and I've already gotten one thumbs up. YAY!

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
comprookie2000
Developer
Developer


Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Posts: 925
Location: Sun City Center, Florida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should help explain some;
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel#Intel_Core_Solo.2FDuo.2C_Pentium_Dual-Core_T20xx.2FT21xx
I would use;
Code:

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

and use the 64 bit min install cd and stage 3 from here;
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/current/

Quote:
Note: If you are using GCC 4.3 or higher, you can use the -march=core2 flag with your Intel Core2 Processor. (See the change log). If you have a "penryn" model you can use the -msse4.1 flag to pull in sse 4.1 optimizations (check for sse4_1 in /proc/cpuinfo)

_________________
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4987
Location: Dark side of the mood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pappy :) .

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I just got done prettying up the "Working with Pappy's Kernel Seeds" page. The page loads a bit slower now, but it looks a lot better when it's up. I will be updating more in the next few days, and will post when I do.

Blessed be!
Pappy

May I only suggest you replaced a couple of pictures (Debian device checker page cap's and consoles') with the actual HTML? Since the page loads very slowly due to those pictures, best is, IMHO, to replace them with the original HTML -- especially the «Results» capture is about 3MB 8O, which is huge. I'd be glad to help if you want. What do you think?

Cheers.

EDIT: Your web site is a bliss. I'd have been glad to read it when I started Gentoo :) .
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
1739!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please send me a private message for that. The photo was supposed to be smaller, but GIMP did something weird to it, and it turned out to be a monster.

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY IMPORTANT!

There is a new kernel exploit, and it seems to be a doozey! Please read this article for more information. I am going to do more research later on today, but for now, it seems advisable to stay away from .30 kernels, especially if you use SELinux.

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do users like me on a small home network behind a router need to worry about it?
_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4987
Location: Dark side of the mood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
Do users like me on a small home network behind a router need to worry about it?


I think, yes because the exploit can take place locally using any binary that you might download. It's not triggered remotely.
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
1739!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Kernel seed on custom-built machine, kernel panic Reply with quote

Pappy, I didn't see a seed for .30-r3 so I used the seed from .30-r2. I don't think that caused any problems.

I'm getting a kernel panic when I try to boot, after following the seed how-to. I don't know, aside from copying my old, non-seed config, which I don't want to do, how to get this system working with this seed, so I'm hoping you'll spot what it is that must be turned on for this particular system.

lspci -n:
Code:

00:00.0 0600: 8086:2570 (rev 02)
00:01.0 0604: 8086:2571 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:24d2 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:24d4 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:24d7 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 0c03: 8086:24de (rev 02)
00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:24dd (rev 02)
00:1e.0 0604: 8086:244e (rev c2)
00:1f.0 0601: 8086:24d0 (rev 02)
00:1f.1 0101: 8086:24db (rev 02)
00:1f.2 0101: 8086:24d1 (rev 02)
00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:24d3 (rev 02)
00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24d5 (rev 02)
01:00.0 0300: 10de:0253 (rev a3)
02:03.0 0c00: 1106:3044 (rev 46)
02:04.0 0104: 1106:3164 (rev 06)
02:05.0 0200: 10b7:1700 (rev 12)
02:09.0 0780: 14f1:2f00 (rev 01)


cat /proc/cpuinfo:
Code:

processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 15
model      : 2
model name   : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping   : 9
cpu MHz      : 2998.647
cache size   : 512 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 1
apicid      : 0
initial apicid   : 0
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 2
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips   : 5999.76
clflush size   : 64
power management:

processor   : 1
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 15
model      : 2
model name   : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping   : 9
cpu MHz      : 2998.647
cache size   : 512 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 1
apicid      : 1
initial apicid   : 1
fdiv_bug   : no
hlt_bug      : no
f00f_bug   : no
coma_bug   : no
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 2
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips   : 5996.27
clflush size   : 64
power management:


.config, taking, as far as I can tell, the above into account:
http://audiodef.com/CONFIG_SEED

I know it's something to do with the hard disc drivers. After finding what the driver page translated from lspci -n, I can't tell what's missing.

Oh, /etc/fstab, so you can see what drives I have working with my old, non-seed config (if this matters):
Code:

/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda3               /               ext3            noatime         0 1
/dev/hda1               /20gbdrive      ext3            noatime         0 1
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/hdc1               /41gbdrive      ext3            noatime         0 1
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,user     0 0

_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.


Last edited by audiodef on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 6308
Location: /usr/lib64/lv2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't download binaries - I think I can safely say at all. Still something for me to worry about?

VinzC wrote:
audiodef wrote:
Do users like me on a small home network behind a router need to worry about it?


I think, yes because the exploit can take place locally using any binary that you might download. It's not triggered remotely.

_________________
Gentoo Studio: A Gentoo-based, professional digital audio workstation OS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 13 of 27

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum