Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
G3 iMac Install Help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: G3 iMac Install Help Reply with quote

I dont understand how to install Gentoo on a G3 iMac...Ive tried both the minimal and Universal CDs but they both confuse me. I tried to follow http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?full=1 but when i got to the part where it told me to type 'apple' for the kernel, it didnt work. the only kernel available is G5 (if this is parallel to the G5 Architecture then there must be something wrong...) and that only brings me to an apple firmware, and i get lost there. How do install it?
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if holding down c didn't work (ie, no cd boot at all), try bootx.
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desultory
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 9266

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on PPC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 28 Apr 2002
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zopiac:
First of all, which CD did you download? Are you sure it's the 32 Bit PPC CD? I think that the name of the kernel might have changed to ppc32 after the manual was written (sorry about that), so make sure that you're booting that kernel. It should be the default kernel, so just pressing enter should boot it as well.

poly_poly-man:
BootX is only for OldWorld machines, the iMac is not an OldWorld machine.
_________________
Gentoo PPC FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
poly_poly-man:
BootX is only for OldWorld machines, the iMac is not an OldWorld machine.

well, sorry for trying :P

I'll stay away from ppc questions from now on.
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 28 Apr 2002
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poly_Poly-man:
Haha, no worries. Please keep answering PPC questions, if you know the answer! ;) Take a look at the FAQ in my signature for a bunch of commonly asked PPC questions that always need answering.
_________________
Gentoo PPC FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(wow i never thought i could reply on a forum with a CLI browser O.O)

well i got to boot up the comp with the disk fine, just needed to use the 'ppc32' kernel. Now, i have no idea how to actually install the OS. i tried to look (using the amazing 'links' command ^.^) closer for help in the install guide, but couldnt find anything. what do i do to actually install Gentoo???
thx in advance...
using minimal install cd

-)SLV(-Zopiac
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zopiac wrote:
(wow i never thought i could reply on a forum with a CLI browser O.O)

well i got to boot up the comp with the disk fine, just needed to use the 'ppc32' kernel. Now, i have no idea how to actually install the OS. i tried to look (using the amazing 'links' command ^.^) closer for help in the install guide, but couldnt find anything. what do i do to actually install Gentoo???
thx in advance...
using minimal install cd

-)SLV(-Zopiac


(this one I know :P )

Read through the installation handbook (if you can use another computer for this, it would be nice!)... essentially (making sure that everything is set up right,) unpack stage3 tarball for your arch, unpack portage, set up make.conf, and update your packages.

That's the sparknotes version, at least.
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh..i was hopong that it would be easier ^.^ like i aid, i havent been able to follow the install guide...

for instance, where it starts talking about the 'alternative methods', i get lost, and it never really says 'for the minimal install, do this'. it only has the full install and a few other methods....

i think the manual hates me.
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after the 'installing the base system' where i 'enter the environment', do i have a graphical environment to work around in??? this install system is way too tedious...it would be sooo nice if there was just an 'install' feature where i can just be led through it without having to write down the entire handbook and leading myself through the whole freaking thing D:<
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f***ing about to give up on this...

started actually trying to start the installation (still need my last few posts answered) and it tells me to type 'mac-fdisk /dev/sda1'. this does NOTHING except tell me that there is no such thing. so i try 'mac-fdisk -l'. this tells me that there is /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2. so i try 'mac-fdisk /dev/hdb1' and 'mac-fdisk /dev/hdb2' and they also give me errors? can the manual be any more freaking useless and vague to me??? D:<
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Terrapin Station

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zopiac wrote:
f***ing about to give up on this...

started actually trying to start the installation (still need my last few posts answered) and it tells me to type 'mac-fdisk /dev/sda1'. this does NOTHING except tell me that there is no such thing. so i try 'mac-fdisk -l'. this tells me that there is /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2. so i try 'mac-fdisk /dev/hdb1' and 'mac-fdisk /dev/hdb2' and they also give me errors? can the manual be any more freaking useless and vague to me??? D:<


You need to fdisk the whole drive, not just a partition. type:
Code:
mac-fdisk /dev/sda


Yeah, the manual kind of assumes you have used linux before. Keep trying if you have an extra machine. Working with a friend also helps. If installing gentoo is too confusing right now it won't be after you take your first UNIX class in school. Alternatively : Try another Linux and get a book on bash scripting and teach yourself. Then come back to gentoo.[/code]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just work your way through the install, and hang out in #gentoo on freenode (using irssi in another terminal, depending on which cd you're using)
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 28 Apr 2002
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote big chunks of the PPC manual, so I guess it's my fault you're confused. :p

A few things first:
1. There is no "install button". That's not really the "Gentoo Way". It's expected that you know a bit about your computer and want to learn a bit more about how Linux actually works so you can tailor the install to your needs. If you don't care, or don't want to learn, then Gentoo is probably not for you. :(
2. As to a minimal install, the regular stage3 install that the handbook outlines is a minimal install and includes no GUI or similar.
3. Alternative methods are for different types of machines. Unless they are relevant to your computer, then you should not follow them.
4. As the manual suggests, you should be working with the device, not a partition. The output of mac-fdisk is telling you that there are currently two partitions on /dev/hdb.

If you need a shorter version of the handbook, it's basically:
1. Partition, format and unpack
2. Install required apps and kernel (yaboot, syslogger, etc.)
3. Set your root password and other configuration items
4. Reboot

Obviously, there's quite a few things to be aware of during those 4 steps and that's what the handbook is there for, to guide you in this process. Gentoo is not for the impatient. It's not really a regular distribution like Ubuntu or RedHat in that there's really no installation that's exactly the same as another. Consider it a way to build your *own* distribution, with the programs that you'd like to have installed, with only the features you want enabled. This kind of power doesn't really lend itself well to a simple one button install.

As an aside, if you're unsure of any terminology or think that there's a way I can improve the manual, I'd be happy to revise it.
_________________
Gentoo PPC FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
zopiac wrote:
f***ing about to give up on this...

started actually trying to start the installation (still need my last few posts answered) and it tells me to type 'mac-fdisk /dev/sda1'. this does NOTHING except tell me that there is no such thing. so i try 'mac-fdisk -l'. this tells me that there is /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2. so i try 'mac-fdisk /dev/hdb1' and 'mac-fdisk /dev/hdb2' and they also give me errors? can the manual be any more freaking useless and vague to me??? D:<


You need to fdisk the whole drive, not just a partition. type:
Code:
mac-fdisk /dev/sda


Yeah, the manual kind of assumes you have used linux before. Keep trying if you have an extra machine. Working with a friend also helps. If installing gentoo is too confusing right now it won't be after you take your first UNIX class in school. Alternatively : Try another Linux and get a book on bash scripting and teach yourself. Then come back to gentoo.[/code]


...i have proficient knowledge with k/x/ice/ubuntu, DSL, puppy linux, yellow dog, debian, and a few other linuxes, so im no linux newbie. but the gentoo installer is just baffling me!!!

oh, an thanks, JoseJX, for confusing me ^.^

all right im in a better mood now, but im not going to look back at that manual unless someone can explain it further to me.

all i need to know is how to do these things:

1. Reformat a hard drive and add a mac boot partition, 512mb swap, and make the rest of the drive into an ext3 partition where i can then-
2. install the OS to where i can have a GUI to access a package manager (of some sort) or something where i can add/subtract wanted, optional programs with either simple commands or graphically.
3. im probably missing something...but thats about it

i just need for '2.' an accurate, simple, straight-forward guide to downloading, unpacking, extracting, and installing the system files without any sort of side notes or alternate ways or optional things. i will take care of those later.


and by the way, i DO have the patience to install this OS, i have no doubt about it. Im just REALLY BAD at dealing with manuals ^.^
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zopiac wrote:
all right im in a better mood now, but im not going to look back at that manual unless someone can explain it further to me.
well, the manual is the way to do a gentoo install - as I said, hang out on irc and ask as many dumb (or intelligent) questions as you'd like.
Quote:

all i need to know is how to do these things:

1. Reformat a hard drive and add a mac boot partition, 512mb swap, and make the rest of the drive into an ext3 partition where i can then-
yup - that's a whole page of the manual.
Quote:

2. install the OS to where i can have a GUI to access a package manager
why do you need a gui to use portage? portage is a command-line tool.
Quote:
(of some sort) or something where i can add/subtract wanted, optional programs with either simple commands or graphically.
good thing about gentoo - it's only adding packages unless you change your mind about something. Read up on portage (there should be a link on the last page of the manual.. depending on arch.).
Quote:

3. im probably missing something...but thats about it

i just need for '2.' an accurate, simple, straight-forward guide to downloading, unpacking, extracting, and installing the system files without any sort of side notes or alternate ways or optional things. i will take care of those later.


and by the way, i DO have the patience to install this OS, i have no doubt about it. Im just REALLY BAD at dealing with manuals ^.^
well, then, you're really bad at dealing with a gentoo install - don't worry about it, once you make it through this, there's not too much you have to read (unless you want to actually know how to set up things like an X server later...).

For your step 2, after unpacking the tarball, you set up your make.conf (the manual has a great page on this - and there is no clear-cut way of doing it - this is where you configure pretty much everything), then you emerge a few critical system tools (the rest you can install later), and configure/install the kernel. Again, condensed version. PLEASE read the manual.

Based on what you write, you seem to have binary-distro-like expectations from gentoo - The gentoo way is "build up from nothing" (as well as configuration... all the configuration you can handle). The main install takes even the best of us several hours to get to a shell with no gui, no programs, etc., but installed... it can take weeks to get it to where it's "usable".

Welcome to Gentoo - where the installation is your hazing :P
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Terrapin Station

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note: There is not realy an "installer" for gentoo. Gentoo is installed the good old fashioned way. The only major difference I noted between our install guide and the UNIX V.5 install for PDP-11 was the lack of paper tape . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
well, the manual is the way to do a gentoo install


The manual is my downfall. I try to do exactly what they say to the best of my knowledge and i get nothing.

Quote:
yup - that's a whole page of the manual.


One whole page that i tried and failed badly at.



When the Manual says to, say, open the disk partitioner, i type in exactly what it says, and, as i recall, either i got an error message or nothing happened. That is where i am currently stuck

BTW it there any way to have the links web browser on a different terminal and then switch to the ongoing installation with a ctrl+alt+F? (or whatever)? because i havent been successful with that, but it would be great.
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zopiac wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:
well, the manual is the way to do a gentoo install


The manual is my downfall. I try to do exactly what they say to the best of my knowledge and i get nothing.

Quote:
yup - that's a whole page of the manual.


One whole page that i tried and failed badly at.



When the Manual says to, say, open the disk partitioner, i type in exactly what it says, and, as i recall, either i got an error message or nothing happened. That is where i am currently stuck

BTW it there any way to have the links web browser on a different terminal and then switch to the ongoing installation with a ctrl+alt+F? (or whatever)? because i havent been successful with that, but it would be great.
alt+F2 for tty2, alt+F1 to get back to tty1 (ctrl is needed if you're in an X server).

Seriously, though... go to #gentoo on freenode and have them help you through an install. I'll be hanging out there this weekend as I do a stage1 install onto an alpha (two firsts for me :P)
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zopiac
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

install is working great right now, but i am stuck at the yabootconfig.

yabootconfig doesnt autodetect the kernel image, and asks me where it is. what do i put?

well, actually, when the manual tells me to type 'yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/gentoo', it failed. i typed it in, and it told me that /mnt/gentoo does not exist, however on tty4 i imput 'ls /mnt' and gentoo was listed there...wierd. so i just typed in (back at tty1 where the main installation was going on) yabootconfig and it yelled at me to tell it where the kernel image was...i have no idea!
_________________
-)SLV(-Zopiac
X/K/Ice/Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Yellow Dog, Puppy, DSLinux, Arch, SUSE, Gentoo
Mac OS X & 9
Win9x, 2000, & XP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Terrapin Station

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-537198-highlight-yabootconfig.html

This post has a lot of nifty info picking up at your problem and going through the next couple reboots for this guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum