Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Official thread: "zen-sources" - Part 6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Official thread: "zen-sources" - Part 6 Reply with quote

This is Part 6 of the gentoo-related zen-sources thread,

what is zen-sources ?

Quote:
Zen-Sources is a collaborative effort of kernel hackers and enthusiasts to provide the best Linux kernel possible. We include code that is not yet found in the mainline kernel in an attempt to support the latest hardware, new features, security fixes, optimizations, etc. We are generally more up to date than your favorite distro's default kernel. If there is something you would like included in a future Zen kernel just ask and we will try to include it. Zen-Sources is NOT a "patchset" like many of you are used to. Zen-Sources is a Linux kernel. We do all of our development in a git repository, and most of the code we inluced gets pulled from other git repos. Since we rarely interact with patches these days, we are not going to go out of our way to provide "broken-out patches". The only patch you will get from us is a monolithic patch applied on top of some vanilla kernel base; we prefer you to use git. If you need a "broken-out patch" use gitweb or 'git diff'.


source http://www.zen-sources.org/content/about

questions and problems with zen-sources should be discussed at its official homepage: http://www.zen-sources.org/ in the section Forums


the installation instructions in this post are provided for your convenience to get you started with the git-provided approach

for a more detailed view on the ways to install zen-sources see: Installation-Instructions on zen-sources.org


in general you should take a look at zen-sources.org for more up-to-date information and instruction



checking the sources out

First Time

1) for zen-sources
Code:
Code:
cd /usr/src
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/zen.git zen-sources
cd zen-sources
make menuconfig


2) for mmotm ("mmotm" is the "-mm tree of the moment" tree. The -mm patch pile, updated
usually more than once per day.) (see: http://lwn.net/Articles/311677/)
Code:
Code:
cd /usr/src
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/mmotm.git mmotm
cd mmotm
make menuconfig


3) for zenrt-sources (doesn't exist yet / anymore)
Code:
Code:
cd /usr/src
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel/zenrt.git zen-sources
cd zen-sources
make menuconfig


creating a patch
example:
Code:

git diff v2.6.24 v2.6.24-zen1 > 2.6.24-zen1.patch


you can also do most of this stuff graphically (GUI !) with qgit:
Code:
emerge qgit

or
Code:
apt-cache search qgit

then
Code:
sudo apt-get install qgit
(if that's the exact package name on apt/deb-based systems)

update sources (inside the directory)
Code:
Update
Code:

cd /usr/src/zen-sources
git pull
(called "merging")

you are in the middle of a conflicted merge:
output could be:
Quote:
git pull
Auto-merged .gitignore
Auto-merged MAINTAINERS
Auto-merged Makefile
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Makefile
Removed arch/mips/lasat/sysctl.h
Auto-merged drivers/ata/libata-scsi.c
Auto-merged drivers/char/Kconfig
Auto-merged drivers/char/drm/ati_pcigart.c
Auto-merged drivers/char/drm/drm.h
Auto-merged drivers/char/drm/drm_drv.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/char/drm/drm_drv.c
...
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

rmh3093 wrote:
This usually happens when the branch you are trying to update has been rebased. The easiest way to get around this is to checkout a new copy of the branch. For example, if you are currently on the master branch you would do something like the following:


first try:
Code:
git checkout -f && git pull

if that doesn't help, then:

Code:
git reset --hard; git branch -M master master-old; git checkout -b master origin/master; git branch -D master-old; git checkout -f


you need to change to another branch ?
example:
Code:
# git checkout master-devel


if the branch doesn't exist in your directory (
Code:
git branch
)
e.g. master-light, then enter
Code:
git branch master-light origin/master-light && git checkout master-light


you want to check out a specific version?
Code:
git checkout v2.6.25-rc5-zen0



speeding up merge (download) of zen-sources (during first time)
1) checkout the linux-2.6 branch of linus (git.eu.kernel.org or git.kernel.org)

Code:
git clone git://git.eu.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git


or

Code:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git


2) then merge both (e.g. it's in /usr/src/sources/linux-2.6)
Code:
 git clone --reference /usr/src/sources/linux-2.6/ git://zen-sources.org/zen/zen.git zen-sources


what branches are there?
currently (december 2008), there are 2 different patchsets and branches used in those are (see):

( heads (zen-sources) ):
( heads (mmotm) ):
( heads (zenrt-sources) ): (not available right now)

- master (git checkout master) (e.g. v2.6.24-zen3)

sometime there's also master-new or similar for testing / rebasing purposes

the other "head"s are branches which are added to the main tree

the project's site can be reached over at:
www.zen-sources.org

the repo is reachable via:
http://git.zen-sources.org/?p=zen.git;a=summary (zen-sources)
and/or
http://git.zen-sources.org/?p=mmotm.git;a=summary (mmotm-sources)
and/or
http://zen-sources.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=kernel-rt.git;a=summary (zenrt-sources) (not available right now)

as of August 2008 there's a zenhardened-sources planned with no ETA known yet

update:
removed reiser4-repository links

update2:
added instruction on how to git-clone linus' repository and using that for reference to update to the zen-sources repo

update3:
updated adresses to the new overlay/servers

update4:
updated the git-addresses for zen-sources and mmotm (mm-sources) of the new zen-sources server

update5:
corrected zenmm -> mmotm
since the zenmm doesn't exist right now
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D


Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please just go to our website..... Zen-Sources does not belong in this forum any more, it has a home.
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, we can keep the forum here too.

Responses just seem to be less frequent and less accurate than on zen-sources.org

Anyways, 2.6.28-zen1 should be ready for tagging (i just need to boot it up), allyesconfig builds and unionfs was added again (despite the temptation to drop it, it really is an easy thing to include so why not)

All those splice.c, aufs/vfsub.c, etc errors are taken care of now too.
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mbar
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1979
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for a patch and an ebuild combo... no, I don't want to be abused by git... I hate this :)... I'm a Gentoo user and I want my ebuild! That's why I use Gentoo!!! :)

Shall I continue my rant? :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
Still waiting for a patch and an ebuild combo... no, I don't want to be abused by git... I hate this :)... I'm a Gentoo user and I want my ebuild! That's why I use Gentoo!!! :)

Shall I continue my rant? :wink:


as long as i keep finding issues, and until i boot it up there won't be a patch and ebuild

*edit*
tuxonice breaks the build unless it's enabled, so if you're going to want tuxonice in 2.6.28-zen1, merge the branch yourself or apply the patch yourself.
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prestige
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.28 vanilla tag is missing. :roll:
_________________
zen-sources - whole new world discovered


Last edited by prestige on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
...

All those splice.c, aufs/vfsub.c, etc errors are taken care of now too.


thanks !

*warming up the compiler*
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
Ahh, we can keep the forum here too.

Responses just seem to be less frequent and less accurate than on zen-sources.org

Anyways, 2.6.28-zen1 should be ready for tagging (i just need to boot it up), allyesconfig builds and unionfs was added again (despite the temptation to drop it, it really is an easy thing to include so why not)

All those splice.c, aufs/vfsub.c, etc errors are taken care of now too.


only because no one is using it yet... cause people keep posting here

these 30 page threads are stupid, on the zen forum everytihng is zen related so posts can have meaningful topics and easier for people to find common issues

EDIT: compilation errors and what not might fit even better in the "Issue Tracker" on the zen website
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.


Last edited by rmh3093 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say I agree with rmh, but, probably you also thought about it if not you won't have bring up drupal versioning support, for problems on zen-sources site better than forums there's also the issue tracker integrated in drupal that can be used in a more effective way for this scope: maybe you could give it a better evidence.
another suggestion should be that new content post default settings doesn't put it on homepage ;)

btw, all ok here with the new release. :D

EDIT: read now your edit :)
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prestige wrote:
2.6.28 vanilla tag is missing. :roll:


Do you expect me to be perfect :?: Sometimes i forget things, i pushed the tag awhile ago.
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prestige
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
prestige wrote:
2.6.28 vanilla tag is missing. :roll:


Do you expect me to be perfect :?: Sometimes i forget things, i pushed the tag awhile ago.


I expect from you not to behave so roughly when someone point you an issue in your work. There is an issue -> I report it -> You fix it. This is normal... this is life. Since I am not a kernel developer my contribution to this project is only testing and reporting issues. And this irritates you?!
My previous post was just a kindly reminder. Is this your normal behavior when someone point you a bug/issue? I hope not :!:
_________________
zen-sources - whole new world discovered
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
martin.k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 493
Location: Wylatowo, Polska

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what happend to all the genetics stuff???
8O
_________________
linux-2.6.17 +ck +R4 +lockless +genetic-as +... więcej nie pamiętam :)
LRU #299256
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(cheater surely doesn't need any lawyer and I surely don't want to start anything again, but)

sorry prestige, you could have been right only if you hadn't put any rolleyes smilie in your message, that can clearly be understood as provoking.
be polite and people will be too in your regards, you can bet on it.

and for reporting issues it's better to use the tracker on zen website, like rmh said :)
rmh3093 wrote:
compilation errors and what not might fit even better in the "Issue Tracker"on the zen website

_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin.k wrote:
I'm curious what happend to all the genetics stuff???
8O


The genetics stuff was dropped since 2.6.28-rc1 due to massive changes in linus' kernel (and i just did so much work on it for 2.6.27, it was going to require even more for 2.6.28 and i wasn't up for it)

prestige wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
prestige wrote:
2.6.28 vanilla tag is missing. :roll:


Do you expect me to be perfect :?: Sometimes i forget things, i pushed the tag awhile ago.


I expect from you not to behave so roughly when someone point you an issue in your work. There is an issue -> I report it -> You fix it. This is normal... this is life. Since I am not a kernel developer my contribution to this project is only testing and reporting issues. And this irritates you?!
My previous post was just a kindly reminder. Is this your normal behavior when someone point you a bug/issue? I hope not :!:


My post wasn't mean or insulting, you were the insulting one with your first post :roll:
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hirakendu
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Posts: 386
Location: san diego

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:


prestige wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
prestige wrote:
2.6.28 vanilla tag is missing. :roll:


Do you expect me to be perfect :?: Sometimes i forget things, i pushed the tag awhile ago.


I expect from you not to behave so roughly when someone point you an issue in your work. There is an issue -> I report it -> You fix it. This is normal... this is life. Since I am not a kernel developer my contribution to this project is only testing and reporting issues. And this irritates you?!
My previous post was just a kindly reminder. Is this your normal behavior when someone point you a bug/issue? I hope not :!:


My post wasn't mean or insulting, you were the insulting one with your first post :roll:


way to go : "could you kindly add the missing 2.6.28 vanilla tag some time" ;). meanwhile, try to fix some trivial issues by yourself - a little hardwork and rtfm and diy helps - these little things are pesky in the big picture. blah its annoying when there are so many little things to bother about. aside, here is a token of appreciation to cheater1034 and rmh3093 for their hard work :D.
_________________
Helium Sources || Gentoo Minimal Livecd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, also to the other devs, and happy 2009 :D
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prestige
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:


My post wasn't mean or insulting, you were the insulting one with your first post :roll:


ROFL. You've made my day! Now my birthday is even funnier.
_________________
zen-sources - whole new world discovered
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noticed now changes in zen tune parameters 8O

Code:
[*] Set custom scheduler targeted preemption latency
(20)  Scheduler targeted preemption latency (NEW)
[*] Set custom scheduler minimal targeted preemption granularity
(4000) Scheduler minimal targeted preemption granularity (NEW)
[*] Set custom scheduler wakeup granularity for SCHED_OTHER tasks
(10)  Scheduler wakeup granularity for SCHED_OTHER tasks (NEW)
[*] Set default percentage RAM filled with mapped pages
(66)  Percentage RAM filled with mapped pages (NEW)
[*] Set default dirty ratio
(10)  Dirty ratio (NEW)
[*] Boost privileged tasks
(-10) Re-nice value for privileged tasks


no, hurry (btw, i'm also leaving for a day) but breaking my notebook playing with those things looks to me as a nice way to start the new year ( :lol: ) so any hint is appreciated (all my tweaking needs go towards better enemy territory with nvidia card :lol: )

again, have a nice 2009! :D
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
noticed now changes in zen tune parameters 8O

Code:
[*] Set custom scheduler targeted preemption latency
(20)  Scheduler targeted preemption latency (NEW)
[*] Set custom scheduler minimal targeted preemption granularity
(4000) Scheduler minimal targeted preemption granularity (NEW)
[*] Set custom scheduler wakeup granularity for SCHED_OTHER tasks
(10)  Scheduler wakeup granularity for SCHED_OTHER tasks (NEW)
[*] Set default percentage RAM filled with mapped pages
(66)  Percentage RAM filled with mapped pages (NEW)
[*] Set default dirty ratio
(10)  Dirty ratio (NEW)
[*] Boost privileged tasks
(-10) Re-nice value for privileged tasks


no, hurry (btw, i'm also leaving for a day) but breaking my notebook playing with those things looks to me as a nice way to start the new year ( :lol: ) so any hint is appreciated (all my tweaking needs go towards better enemy territory with nvidia card :lol: )

again, have a nice 2009! :D


I have no suggestions for you besides play with the settings and decide for your self. You can change the percent mapped pages and dirty ratio from the userland (no need to rebuild). As for the other options I have nfc what they will do for you.
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo, is possible to have the acpi-desdt patch integrated in Zen source?

Thnx :)
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra78 wrote:
Hallo, is possible to have the acpi-desdt patch integrated in Zen source?

Thnx :)


yeah, that is a staple patch that should be in but must have fallen out at one point.... i will add it soon
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 1087

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
Ahh, we can keep the forum here too.

Responses just seem to be less frequent and less accurate than on zen-sources.org...


only because no one is using it yet... cause people keep posting here

these 30 page threads are stupid, on the zen forum everytihng is zen related so posts can have meaningful topics and easier for people to find common issues

Zen forum is nice, but there are some annoyances like
1- Forcing CAPTCHA for every post and edit.
2- The need for a subject line for the replies.
3- Comment and signature is mixed. There is no separation line before signature.

Also gentoo users (by 54%) have the lead there, too.
Please, keep the forum here, too.
_________________
Anyway it's all the same at the end...
Need help to get it working: "x-fi surround 5.1"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Cobra78 wrote:
Hallo, is possible to have the acpi-desdt patch integrated in Zen source?

Thnx :)


yeah, that is a staple patch that should be in but must have fallen out at one point.... i will add it soon


Very good, this is the only patch i nedd, that is missing from Zen-Source ;)
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra78 wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
Cobra78 wrote:
Hallo, is possible to have the acpi-desdt patch integrated in Zen source?

Thnx :)


yeah, that is a staple patch that should be in but must have fallen out at one point.... i will add it soon


Very good, this is the only patch i nedd, that is missing from Zen-Source ;)


its in -zen2
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*warming up ggc*


;)
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum