Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Official thread: "zen-sources" - Part 6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernel panic with latest git pull(zen3)
can't find root.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all ok here, are you using reiser4?
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acpi-dsdt is missing ;_;
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
all ok here, are you using reiser4?



yes am using reiser4 but root is reiserfs.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Power management and ACPI options  --->
  [*] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->
     ()    Custom DSDT Table file to include

_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
Code:
Power management and ACPI options  --->
  [*] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->
     ()    Custom DSDT Table file to include


We Talk about different patches, patch at http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml include supprot for dsdt in initramfs:

│ │ < > ASUS/Medion Laptop Extras │ │
│ │ < > Toshiba Laptop Extras │ │
│ │ [*] Read Custom DSDT from initramfs │ │

This is from another kernel patched with acp-dsdt, the patch homepage is linked in zen-sources home page ;)
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, maybe I misunderstand, but aren't they doing the same thing, using a custom dsdt (one read it from initramfs, the present store it in kernel)?

(forgive me if I'm OT) maybe some of the audience remember staircase deadline scheduler and swap prefetch: has this stuff being ported to 2.6.28?
i remember it disappeared between kamikaze/zen transition because lacking of development: has the situation changed?
should be nice to see prefetching from ram (compcache).
sorry, but sometime I miss the responsiveness of my dear old 2.6.22-ck1. :cry:
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
sorry, maybe I misunderstand, but aren't they doing the same thing, using a custom dsdt (one read it from initramfs, the present store it in kernel)?

(forgive me if I'm OT) maybe some of the audience remember staircase deadline scheduler and swap prefetch: has this stuff being ported to 2.6.28?
i remember it disappeared between kamikaze/zen transition because lacking of development: has the situation changed?
should be nice to see prefetching from ram (compcache).
sorry, but sometime I miss the responsiveness of my dear old 2.6.22-ck1. :cry:


No problem.

Aniway the configuration option you showed me, dosen't appear in my menuconfig O_o
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using a vanilla 2.6.28 with 2.6.28-zen3.patch.lzma (on zen's website) applied.

the two .config options involved should be (I think, someone corrects me if i'm wrong) CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE="" and CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT=y.
the last I wasn't able to find in the menus but I think editing .config file and setting manually before make does the same thing.
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 2720
Location: Munich, Bavaria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
(forgive me if I'm OT) maybe some of the audience remember staircase deadline scheduler and swap prefetch: has this stuff being ported to 2.6.28?
i remember it disappeared between kamikaze/zen transition because lacking of development: has the situation changed?

Nope. After inclusion of CFS into mainline, Con stopped maintaining staircase and -ck alltogether.
Quote:
sorry, but sometime I miss the responsiveness of my dear old 2.6.22-ck1. :cry:

++, not to mention 2.6.9-ck/nitro and 2.6.11-ck - killer kernels.
_________________
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki - pro-audio software overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx gimpel, sadly I know about Con decisions...
but I'm here still hoping someone will get his stuff working on nowadays kernels and that it will get pulled into zen :)
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
i'm using a vanilla 2.6.28 with 2.6.28-zen3.patch.lzma (on zen's website) applied.

the two .config options involved should be (I think, someone corrects me if i'm wrong) CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE="" and CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT=y.
the last I wasn't able to find in the menus but I think editing .config file and setting manually before make does the same thing.


Obviously i talk about the 2.6.28-zen3 too :)

Maybe the oldconfig thath cause problems?
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
kernel panic with latest git pull(zen3)
can't find root.


only me having this kernel panic?
same config with zen2.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danym
n00b
n00b


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: problem with 2.6.28-zen3 Reply with quote

I can't boot with zen3. There is an error about ATA, so my / partition is not found. I've done no change from zen2 config (and it was working fine). I'm using ext3 as file system. Nothing exotic about my machine and the config.
I'm back to zen2....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra78 wrote:
acpi-dsdt is missing ;_;


no its not, it is indeed there
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grooveharder
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with 2.6.28-zen3 Reply with quote

danym wrote:
I can't boot with zen3. There is an error about ATA, so my / partition is not found. I've done no change from zen2 config (and it was working fine). I'm using ext3 as file system. Nothing exotic about my machine and the config.
I'm back to zen2....


exactly the same problem here with zen3. someting about ata_piix and a "BAR 0 collision".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 546
Location: 3rd Rock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with 2.6.28-zen3 Reply with quote

grooveharder wrote:
danym wrote:
I can't boot with zen3. There is an error about ATA, so my / partition is not found. I've done no change from zen2 config (and it was working fine). I'm using ext3 as file system. Nothing exotic about my machine and the config.
I'm back to zen2....


exactly the same problem here with zen3. someting about ata_piix and a "BAR 0 collision".

I just get a black screen with zen3.
Back to zen2 for now.
_________________
Core i7 920 D0 | Asus P6T DLX | Patriot Viper 1600 6GB | Antec Quattro 850W
Geforce 8800GTX OC2 768MB | Dell 22" LCD | Koolance Exos2/Swiftech GTZ
GCC 4.6.1 | 3.7.x-geek | Xorg-7.4-x | KDE-4.7.x | Compiz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hephooey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with 2.6.28-zen3 Reply with quote

danym wrote:
I can't boot with zen3. There is an error about ATA, so my / partition is not found. I've done no change from zen2 config (and it was working fine). I'm using ext3 as file system. Nothing exotic about my machine and the config.
I'm back to zen2....

I have a similar problem with zen3, I have two hard drivers, but with zen3 only the first one is detected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you guys with the ATA error please try the current master?
If it still doesn't work, then please do this:
git revert -m 1 1c914ba8efbf663bcbc8053e3bd68bcc20a9b128

and report back please :D
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAlamo
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Nov 2004
Posts: 38
Location: Frankfurt/Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cheater1034

been there, done that
current master - same error
"git revert -m blabla" did the trick, I have my DVD drive back
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
can you guys with the ATA error please try the current master?
If it still doesn't work, then please do this:
git revert -m 1 1c914ba8efbf663bcbc8053e3bd68bcc20a9b128

and report back please :D


git revert fixed it. thanks!

my mobo never boots with the async stuff.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have small problem with recent 2.6.28-zen3
while booting kernel I see this error:
PIIX_IDE 0000:00:1f.1: device not available because of BAR 0 [0x1f0-0x1f7] collisions

This is something new and I have not seen this error with 2.6.28-zen1

in consequence my DVD/CDRW is gone

hmm have not noticed this: I am going to try
git revert -m 1 1c914ba8efbf663bcbc8053e3bd68bcc20a9b128

Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hephooey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
can you guys with the ATA error please try the current master?
If it still doesn't work, then please do this:
git revert -m 1 1c914ba8efbf663bcbc8053e3bd68bcc20a9b128

and report back please :D


after git revert things go back to normal, thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Cobra78 wrote:
acpi-dsdt is missing ;_;


no its not, it is indeed there


Now i see the opttion to integrate dsdt in the kernel, don't know why previously i can't see it.

Aniway this is not the patch i requested, i think thath dsdt in initramfs patch is better for a simple reason: if the system bios must be upgraded, often the kernel with integrated dsdt can't boot, because the old dadt don't work with the new bios; with dsdt in kernel a full recompile of the kernel is needed, with dsdt in intramfs only the regeneration of the initramfs is neede.

I dont'want to flame and i don't pretend anithing, i'm only tryng to explain my point of view :)
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra78 wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
Cobra78 wrote:
acpi-dsdt is missing ;_;


no its not, it is indeed there


Now i see the opttion to integrate dsdt in the kernel, don't know why previously i can't see it.

Aniway this is not the patch i requested, i think thath dsdt in initramfs patch is better for a simple reason: if the system bios must be upgraded, often the kernel with integrated dsdt can't boot, because the old dadt don't work with the new bios; with dsdt in kernel a full recompile of the kernel is needed, with dsdt in intramfs only the regeneration of the initramfs is neede.

I dont'want to flame and i don't pretend anithing, i'm only tryng to explain my point of view :)


i must have forgot to merge the branch with that patch, because I did apply it..... its in -zen4
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum