Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Official thread: "zen-sources" - Part 6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cobra78
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Location: Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Cobra78 wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
Cobra78 wrote:
acpi-dsdt is missing ;_;


no its not, it is indeed there


Now i see the opttion to integrate dsdt in the kernel, don't know why previously i can't see it.

Aniway this is not the patch i requested, i think thath dsdt in initramfs patch is better for a simple reason: if the system bios must be upgraded, often the kernel with integrated dsdt can't boot, because the old dadt don't work with the new bios; with dsdt in kernel a full recompile of the kernel is needed, with dsdt in intramfs only the regeneration of the initramfs is neede.

I dont'want to flame and i don't pretend anithing, i'm only tryng to explain my point of view :)


i must have forgot to merge the branch with that patch, because I did apply it..... its in -zen4



Hahah, only a little misunderstood :P

Ok^^
_________________
Dell Inspiron 1720 Ice White Windows 7 Professional/Archlinux x86_64 - 2.6.35.x
Msi Wind U100 Windows Xp/Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smapi is in git now (0.40) because of dodo
for those with the vr compile problem, please try latest git
those with ext4 problems try latest git (unstable ext4 updates dropped)
fastboot is reverted, but we may only revert the libata patch (the one causing the problems)
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
smapi is in git now (0.40) because of dodo
for those with the vr compile problem, please try latest git
those with ext4 problems try latest git (unstable ext4 updates dropped)
fastboot is reverted, but we may only revert the libata patch (the one causing the problems)

i pulled drm-next from airlied's kernel repo also, its in latest git (radeon and i915 drm seem to build fine)
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1159

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make menuconfig

scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/x86/Kconfig
drivers/staging/Kconfig:66: can't open file "drivers/staging/agnx/Kconfig"
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

errors with latest git pull.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
make menuconfig

scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/x86/Kconfig
drivers/staging/Kconfig:66: can't open file "drivers/staging/agnx/Kconfig"
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

errors with latest git pull.


damn i dont know u pulled that jacked up commit, it only existed for like 3 min, pull again
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1159

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody has patches to get nvidia-kernel-173... and virtualbox-modules-2.1 to
compile with latest zenmm pulls?
thanks!
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
anybody has patches to get nvidia-kernel-173... and virtualbox-modules-2.1 to
compile with latest zenmm pulls?
thanks!


there is no zenmm repo nor any zenmm releases as of late... wtf are u talking about "compile with latest zenmm pulls?"
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1159

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
anybody has patches to get nvidia-kernel-173... and virtualbox-modules-2.1 to
compile with latest zenmm pulls?
thanks!


there is no zenmm repo nor any zenmm releases as of late... wtf are u talking about "compile with latest zenmm pulls?"



i pulled from here;
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/mmotm.git zenmm-sources

if it's not zenmm repo, am sorry, but go easy with the wtf. thanks!
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buuban
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Jan 2009
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here http://git.zen-sources.org/?p=mmotm.git;a=summary
Last commit - 5 weeks ago. Described as watchdog repo. That's not exactly recent. I don't know if it even has any zen patches merged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
anybody has patches to get nvidia-kernel-173... and virtualbox-modules-2.1 to
compile with latest zenmm pulls?
thanks!


there is no zenmm repo nor any zenmm releases as of late... wtf are u talking about "compile with latest zenmm pulls?"



i pulled from here;
git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/mmotm.git zenmm-sources

if it's not zenmm repo, am sorry, but go easy with the wtf. thanks!


well there is nothing about zenmm on our website, nothing in the git repo says zenmm.... mmotm != zenmm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ everyone pay attention to this, cause tranquilcool is not the only making this mistake, dont bother pulling from this repo
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 2720
Location: Munich, Bavaria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/cutoff=2196 \o/
Word!
_________________
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki - pro-audio software overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gaelic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 119
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe, World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/cutoff=2196 \o/
Word!


looking forward to hafe btrfs as my / fs

(maybe in some weeks/a few months)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gaelic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 119
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe, World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since 2.6.28-zen3 i can't start X; i just get a blank/black screen; i'm even not able to get back to console either. suggestions?

btw: on a x200 thinkpad /w intel x driver/vesa framebuffer/intel dri.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 546
Location: 3rd Rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaelic_cargal wrote:
since 2.6.28-zen3 i can't start X; i just get a blank/black screen; i'm even not able to get back to console either. suggestions?

btw: on a x200 thinkpad /w intel x driver/vesa framebuffer/intel dri.

I have been having the same problem. Today i updated to zen4 and starting
from scratch i still had that problem. I then copied and 'make oldconfig' of my
zen1 config and it worked. I find this behavior strange. ACPI was broken for
me in zen1 but is now working in zen4.
_________________
Core i7 920 D0 | Asus P6T DLX | Patriot Viper 1600 6GB | Antec Quattro 850W
Geforce 8800GTX OC2 768MB | Dell 22" LCD | Koolance Exos2/Swiftech GTZ
GCC 4.6.1 | 3.7.x-geek | Xorg-7.4-x | KDE-4.7.x | Compiz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 2720
Location: Munich, Bavaria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaelic_cargal wrote:
gimpel wrote:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/cutoff=2196 \o/
Word!


looking forward to hafe btrfs as my / fs

(maybe in some weeks/a few months)

Me too!

Currently the performance isn't the best. I use it as storage FS on my new big drive, replacing my old LVM ReiserFS, and I see a lot of I/O stalls when writing and reading to it at the same time. Also copying from one subvol to another is quite slow.

A different issue: -zen4 & -zen5 give me funky kernel panics not finding the root FS when loading GRUB from sda and booting into a / ext3 on sdb in about like 4 out of 5 boot attempts. That's not an issue with older kernels, so I suspect this fastboot/async nonsense'ish crap to be guilty. What's that good for anyway? If one likes rebooting the box 10 times a day, he/she shall use suspend features, openrc is fast enough.
_________________
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki - pro-audio software overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mbar
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1979
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-zen4:
Code:
  CC      crypto/aes_generic.o
  CC      crypto/arc4.o
  CC      crypto/crc32c.o
  CC      crypto/rng.o
  CC      crypto/krng.o
  CC      crypto/ansi_cprng.o
  LD      crypto/built-in.o
  CC      block/elevator.o
block/elevator.c: In function ‘elevator_init’:
block/elevator.c:270: error: ‘CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
block/elevator.c:270: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
block/elevator.c:270: error: for each function it appears in.)
block/elevator.c: In function ‘elv_register’:
block/elevator.c:1039: error: ‘CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [block/elevator.o] Błąd 1
make: *** [block] Błąd 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1159

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
-zen4:
Code:
  CC      crypto/aes_generic.o
  CC      crypto/arc4.o
  CC      crypto/crc32c.o
  CC      crypto/rng.o
  CC      crypto/krng.o
  CC      crypto/ansi_cprng.o
  LD      crypto/built-in.o
  CC      block/elevator.o
block/elevator.c: In function ‘elevator_init’:
block/elevator.c:270: error: ‘CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
block/elevator.c:270: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
block/elevator.c:270: error: for each function it appears in.)
block/elevator.c: In function ‘elv_register’:
block/elevator.c:1039: error: ‘CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [block/elevator.o] Błąd 1
make: *** [block] Błąd 2


git pull to go zen5 or change default elevator in kernel.config options(V(R)) compiled into kernel
gives the errors.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hephooey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
A different issue: -zen4 & -zen5 give me funky kernel panics not finding the root FS when loading GRUB from sda and booting into a / ext3 on sdb in about like 4 out of 5 boot attempts. That's not an issue with older kernels, so I suspect this fastboot/async nonsense'ish crap to be guilty. What's that good for anyway? If one likes rebooting the box 10 times a day, he/she shall use suspend features, openrc is fast enough.


I have the same kernel panic issue, I reversed the async merge myself and everything backs to normal. I hope in the future there is a kernel option to disable it, just like the old fastboot patch(?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hephooey wrote:
gimpel wrote:
A different issue: -zen4 & -zen5 give me funky kernel panics not finding the root FS when loading GRUB from sda and booting into a / ext3 on sdb in about like 4 out of 5 boot attempts. That's not an issue with older kernels, so I suspect this fastboot/async nonsense'ish crap to be guilty. What's that good for anyway? If one likes rebooting the box 10 times a day, he/she shall use suspend features, openrc is fast enough.


I have the same kernel panic issue, I reversed the async merge myself and everything backs to normal. I hope in the future there is a kernel option to disable it, just like the old fastboot patch(?)


add rootwait to your grub config, ihave a feeling the kernel is booting up faster than your hard drives can spin up, the issue is your slow harddrive, not the async code
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
hephooey wrote:
gimpel wrote:
A different issue: -zen4 & -zen5 give me funky kernel panics not finding the root FS when loading GRUB from sda and booting into a / ext3 on sdb in about like 4 out of 5 boot attempts. That's not an issue with older kernels, so I suspect this fastboot/async nonsense'ish crap to be guilty. What's that good for anyway? If one likes rebooting the box 10 times a day, he/she shall use suspend features, openrc is fast enough.


I have the same kernel panic issue, I reversed the async merge myself and everything backs to normal. I hope in the future there is a kernel option to disable it, just like the old fastboot patch(?)


add rootwait to your grub config, ihave a feeling the kernel is booting up faster than your hard drives can spin up, the issue is your slow harddrive, not the async code


please use the zen-sources.org forum.... this question has been answered already
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 2720
Location: Munich, Bavaria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
hephooey wrote:
gimpel wrote:
A different issue: -zen4 & -zen5 give me funky kernel panics not finding the root FS when loading GRUB from sda and booting into a / ext3 on sdb in about like 4 out of 5 boot attempts. That's not an issue with older kernels, so I suspect this fastboot/async nonsense'ish crap to be guilty. What's that good for anyway? If one likes rebooting the box 10 times a day, he/she shall use suspend features, openrc is fast enough.


I have the same kernel panic issue, I reversed the async merge myself and everything backs to normal. I hope in the future there is a kernel option to disable it, just like the old fastboot patch(?)


add rootwait to your grub config, ihave a feeling the kernel is booting up faster than your hard drives can spin up, the issue is your slow harddrive, not the async code


please use the zen-sources.org forum.... this question has been answered already

I took at look there, but there was nothing. Also searching for rootwait in content and issues doesn't return anything.
You should BTW add a General forum there to avoid future double posts across the distro-specific forums, and a forum search function.

Harddrive btw is a Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA-II, I wouldn't call that slow.
But the kernel loading faster than the 2nd hardrive spinning up indeed seems to be the issue, and rootwait helps.

Thanks! :)
_________________
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki - pro-audio software overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for merging latest compcache ! :D
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mroconnor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 402
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
thanks for merging latest compcache ! :D


@KoT: Did you get the new compcache code to compile?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mroconnor wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
thanks for merging latest compcache ! :D


@KoT: Did you get the new compcache code to compile?


I didn't get through to doing it - currently I'm playing back several backups since my harddrives filled up and I needed some new ones :oops:
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 1558

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEED TESTING
http://zen-sources.org/content/git-needs-testing-asap

help is appreciated here significantly.

rmh3093 wrote:
hephooey wrote:
gimpel wrote:
A different issue: -zen4 & -zen5 give me funky kernel panics not finding the root FS when loading GRUB from sda and booting into a / ext3 on sdb in about like 4 out of 5 boot attempts. That's not an issue with older kernels, so I suspect this fastboot/async nonsense'ish crap to be guilty. What's that good for anyway? If one likes rebooting the box 10 times a day, he/she shall use suspend features, openrc is fast enough.


I have the same kernel panic issue, I reversed the async merge myself and everything backs to normal. I hope in the future there is a kernel option to disable it, just like the old fastboot patch(?)


add rootwait to your grub config, ihave a feeling the kernel is booting up faster than your hard drives can spin up, the issue is your slow harddrive, not the async code


I think it may have been a bug in the async code, which is probably fixed in the latest git.

so TRY THE LATEST GIT, and let me know if it is working without "rootwait". I've added tons of updates/improvements/fixes/etc to async.
_________________
IRC!: #zen-sources on irc.rizon.net
zen-kernel.org
--
Lost in android development land.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum