Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
problems with ati OSS drivers and macmolplt/gaussview
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 350
Location: .se/.ro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: problems with ati OSS drivers and macmolplt/gaussview Reply with quote

i used for quite a while programs such as wxmacmolplt ( http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/MacMolPlt/ ) and GaussView ( http://www.gaussian.com/gv_plat.htm ) but after updating my system some time ago theese programs refuse to work anymore.
i thought it is a problem with wxGTK, end merged it a few times, then recompiled macmolplt but still have't had it working. in the end i've downgraded the open source ati drivers from xf86-video-ati-6.10.0 to xf86-video-ati-6.7.197 and i got a working wxmacmolplt but with this driver i dont have a working mplayer. GaussView didn't worked at all.

here is a molecule displayed with wxmacmolplt, and this is the issue i get with GaussView, with the mention that with the GaussView program i have no control over the image, i cant rotate it, and after some moving with the mouse on the window, the windows becomes completely blank, and i cant see a thing :)
http://www.imagehost.ro/pict/1215031749941e1538b92.png

so, what should i do in order to get theese two programs working?
thanx in advance
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 943
Location: Bash$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be caused by outdated dependencies. Did you try a revdep-rebuild? If you didn't, I would recommend running it after re-upgrading the ATI drivers.
_________________
PKA Cuber
Please add [SOLVED] to the subject of your original post when you feel that your problem is resolved.
Adopt an unanswered post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 350
Location: .se/.ro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the tip, i'm running a revdep-rebuild now, but it will take a while. hope this fixes the issue
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 350
Location: .se/.ro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revdep-rebuild still doesn't fix the issue.
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 943
Location: Bash$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm stumped. Does your card work with the proprietary ATI drivers?
_________________
PKA Cuber
Please add [SOLVED] to the subject of your original post when you feel that your problem is resolved.
Adopt an unanswered post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with ati OSS drivers and macmolplt/gaussview Reply with quote

mortix wrote:
i used for quite a while programs such as wxmacmolplt ( http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/MacMolPlt/ ) and GaussView ( http://www.gaussian.com/gv_plat.htm ) but after updating my system some time ago theese programs refuse to work anymore.
i thought it is a problem with wxGTK, end merged it a few times, then recompiled macmolplt but still have't had it working. in the end i've downgraded the open source ati drivers from xf86-video-ati-6.10.0 to xf86-video-ati-6.7.197 and i got a working wxmacmolplt but with this driver i dont have a working mplayer. GaussView didn't worked at all.

here is a molecule displayed with wxmacmolplt, and this is the issue i get with GaussView, with the mention that with the GaussView program i have no control over the image, i cant rotate it, and after some moving with the mouse on the window, the windows becomes completely blank, and i cant see a thing :)
http://www.imagehost.ro/pict/1215031749941e1538b92.png

so, what should i do in order to get theese two programs working?
thanx in advance


the best and fastest way to get these types of issues resolved is to go on IRC (freenode) and join #radeon. The devs there are pretty nice and will work with you to figure out the problem, especially when it worked before and now it does not. They dont like regressions! Best time to find them is during the week, they usually are not around on the weekends.
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 350
Location: .se/.ro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuber wrote:
Hmm. I'm stumped. Does your card work with the proprietary ATI drivers?

i've tried with them only twice and with no succes, but i haven't really tried the best i could to make them work. apparently that driver has caused problems to alot of users(there was a thread here on the forums about it).
the graphics card is an integrated Radeon Xpress 200M on the laptop's motherboard


rmh3093 wrote:


the best and fastest way to get these types of issues resolved is to go on IRC (freenode) and join #radeon. The devs there are pretty nice and will work with you to figure out the problem, especially when it worked before and now it does not. They dont like regressions! Best time to find them is during the week, they usually are not around on the weekends.

hopefully talking on IRC will solve my issue, since downgrading breaks alot of other packages (mplayer for instance)


thanx
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Posts: 943
Location: Bash$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the official ati driver used to be horrible, but for the last year or so I have had no trouble with it. You just have to be careful with the undocumented features like TexturedXrender. It is called fglrx, by the way, if you feel like trying it out.

Edit: fglrx in xorg.conf, that is. The name in portage is ati-drivers.
_________________
PKA Cuber
Please add [SOLVED] to the subject of your original post when you feel that your problem is resolved.
Adopt an unanswered post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gigel
Guru
Guru


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 350
Location: .se/.ro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've talked with someone on #radeon and came to a partially solution which fixez only the MacMolPlt program
Code:

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1


thanx for the infos Cuber, maybe i'll try the closed source drivers and see if i can get the sofwtare to work with that
_________________
$emerge sux
:D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum