Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[PALUDIS] Support thread (current v. 0.26.*) - Part 4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KejPi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 17 Jan 2004
Posts: 122
Location: Prague, Czech republic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is probably that there are lines like:

Code:

->=app-accessibility/dasher-4.7


in package.mask. Why there is "-" before each package version? Is it valid?
_________________
hidentity.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problems.

problem with paludis, in general, the way i see it
is that it spits out errors abruptly without giving any clues.
one minute it's ok and the next minute it's .....d
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madcat87 wrote:
No thats not the cause.I just resynced and the problem remains.It seems to be something with packege.mask


Perhaps the mirror you're using is bad?

tranquilcool wrote:
problem with paludis, in general, the way i see it
is that it spits out errors abruptly without giving any clues.
one minute it's ok and the next minute it's .....d


I call BS. The errors you talked about it spitting out earlier spending a bunch of time saying how all of it was a problem of paludis was quite easily diagnosed as a problem with your installation. There were obvious clues to what you were complaining about... you just didn't know what they were.

I'm not meaning this in a way to say something like "haha you're stupid" just pointing out that you see something you haven't been exposed to and say "This thing gives me no clue what's wrong."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knute
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Location: Fargo, ND

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
I'm not meaning this in a way to say something like "haha you're stupid" just pointing out that you see something you haven't been exposed to and say "This thing gives me no clue what's wrong."


So if you've never been exposed to something, and the glaringly obvious clues to someone that knows about don't mean anything to you, then OF COURSE it's not telling you. So slyc, knock it off with your bad attitude!

The people that you are continuing to chew on DO NOT DESERVE IT!

I think you owe some people an apology.
_________________
Knute
----------
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point still stands that saying that paludis (or any other piece of software) "errors abruptly without any clues" is a misguided statement. The only time this statement would be true is if a software designer had the error say "something failed" instead of giving a specific error message.

Though admittedly I made the point in a harsh manner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knute
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Location: Fargo, ND

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
My point still stands that saying that paludis (or any other piece of software) "errors abruptly without any clues" is a misguided statement. The only time this statement would be true is if a software designer had the error say "something failed" instead of giving a specific error message.

Though admittedly I made the point in a harsh manner.


You do have a point, however, if the error message isn't understood, all it ends up saying is "something failed".

And honestly, with the amount of output that paludis generates, hehehe.... it's hard to tell the "something" messages from the ones you need to pay attention to, and that leads to frusteration all around -- dev's and users alike.

(I know that you can cut some of them down, it's just not immediately obvious as to how when you first start out. :roll: )
_________________
Knute
----------
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knute wrote:
You do have a point, however, if the error message isn't understood, all it ends up saying is "something failed".


That's true but that's kinda like blaming China because I don't understand Mandarin yet.

[edit]But the other guy was saying that this was "the general problem with paludis" when this problem can't really be avoided entirely. No matter what the devs do, someone will sometime have the program crash and not understand the error. That's what I was trying to get at.[/edit]

Quote:
And honestly, with the amount of output that paludis generates, hehehe.... it's hard to tell the "something" messages from the ones you need to pay attention to, and that leads to frusteration all around -- dev's and users alike.


Touche'. And it defaults to using pretty extensive warnings which could clutter up things more which can easily confuse someone.

Good point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Knute wrote:
You do have a point, however, if the error message isn't understood, all it ends up saying is "something failed".


That's true but that's kinda like blaming China because I don't understand Mandarin yet.

[edit]But the other guy was saying that this was "the general problem with paludis" when this problem can't really be avoided entirely. No matter what the devs do, someone will sometime have the program crash and not understand the error. That's what I was trying to get at.[/edit]

Quote:
And honestly, with the amount of output that paludis generates, hehehe.... it's hard to tell the "something" messages from the ones you need to pay attention to, and that leads to frusteration all around -- dev's and users alike.


Touche'. And it defaults to using pretty extensive warnings which could clutter up things more which can easily confuse someone.

Good point.


sly maybe you're right but let me put it this way;
paludis is managed with files in /etc/paludis so if you don't touch 'em between syncs
the behaviour of paludis should be expected to be the same. ok so it's not a hardware problem
maybe pkg database problem. paludis should be able to give human readable hints to the
problems or even correct them not just assuming your setup is wrong, afterall you just did a simple sync. instead it simply whines moans and
stops. i understand paludis may be too geeky and that's ok with me but sure isn't mrs smart ass.
i'd rather think it's a moaning mrs geek.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhat,

Just to see if the problem is with paludis (as opposed to a broken mirror) you should

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/
then click on "package.mask" then click on the link for viewing the latest revision of the file and save it in place of your current package.mask that's in your tree.

If the problem goes away you need to use a different mirror for syncing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madcat87
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the mirror I am using:
/etc/paludis/repositories/gentoo.conf:

location = /usr/portage
sync = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
profiles = ${location}/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop
...

in mirrors.conf:

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles

The package.mask files in the repository you gave me are the same as mine.The problem is these dashes "-" in front of the packages of the latest gnome Unmask:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/arch/x86/package.mask?view=markup

->=app-accessibility/dasher-4.7
->=app-accessibility/gnome-mag-0.15.0
->=app-crypt/seahorse-2.22
->=gnome-base/libgtop-2.22
->=x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.14
->=gnome-base/libbonobo-2.22
->=x11-libs/libwnck-2.22
->=x11-themes/gnome-backgrounds-2.22
->=gnome-base/gail-1.22
->=app-text/rarian-0.8
->=gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.22
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it fixed for now.
removed paludis any anything related.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madcat87,

I see... that seems like a really bizarre way to unmask something. I can see why paludis wouldn't recognize it as being valid. Though since the file written as-is is accepted by portage, the portage devs likely won't care that paludis doesn't work with it.

Personally, I think the unmasks should go into package.unmask (and obviously without the "-" at the front of each).

edit: Here's a bug on the issue. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216193
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rwst
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: world problem Reply with quote

Hello, since my sync today paludis no longer can see the world file. The symptoms are
1. paludis -pi world or system reports 0 packages
2. paludis -r flags all packages that have the 'installed' suffix as 'Not used by any package in world'

I have changed nothing in a perfectly running system, except installing the following new packages: util-linux-2.13-r2, hdparm-8.6.0, gvim-7.1.266, shared-mime-info-0.23, libpng-1.2.26, lzma-utils-4.32.5, vim-core-7.1.266, timezone-data-2008a, m4-1.4.10-r1, sed-4.1.5-r1, findutils-4.3.13, texinfo-4.11-r1.
Paludis was recently upgraded to 0.26.0_alpha14

/var/db/pkg/world is unchanged with 210 entries.
In file /etc/paludis/repositories/gentoo.conf: location=/usr/portage
In file /etc/paludis/repositories/installed.conf: location=/var/db/pkg

The latter appears a bit strange, as there is a bunch of directories duplicated in /var/db/pkg that is usually in /usr/portage. Could this be the problem? How to proceed?

Regards,
rwst
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pussi
l33t
l33t


Joined: 08 May 2004
Posts: 727
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have
Code:
world = /var/db/pkg/world
in /etc/paludis/environment.conf?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5671
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KejPi wrote:
The reason is probably that there are lines like:

Code:

->=app-accessibility/dasher-4.7


in package.mask. Why there is "-" before each package version? Is it valid?


portage accepts it so it is valid
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rwst
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pussi wrote:
do you have
Code:
world = /var/db/pkg/world
in /etc/paludis/environment.conf?

Now, after I have created this file, and after changing owner/group everywhere in /var/db/pkg to paludis, the symptoms changed too:

1. paludis -r just gives 'Finished processing 2 packages, 0 errors.'
2. paludis -pi world gives
Code:

Dependency error:
  * In program paludis -pi world:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * When building dependency list:
  * When adding NamedSetDepSpec 'system':
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/baselayout':
  * When adding package 'virtual/baselayout-1.12.11.1::virtuals (virtual for sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1:0::gentoo)':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1:0::gentoo':
  * When adding package 'sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.51':
  * When adding package 'sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-lang/python-2.4':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r9:2.4::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-lang/tk-8.0':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/tk-8.4.18:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'x11-libs/libX11':
  * When adding package 'x11-libs/libX11-1.1.3:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=x11-libs/xtrans-1.0.1':
  * When adding package 'x11-libs/xtrans-1.0.3:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-devel/automake-1.10*':
  * When adding package 'sys-devel/automake-1.10:1.10::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'dev-lang/perl':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/perl-5.8.8-r4:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-libs/db':
  * When adding package 'sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2:4.5::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-lang/tcl-8.4':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/tcl-8.4.18:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-devel/automake-1.10*':
  * Circular dependency: Atom '=sys-devel/automake-1.10*' matched by merge list entry 'sys-devel/automake-1.10:1.10::gentoo', which does not yet have its dependencies installed (paludis::CircularDependencyError)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knute
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Location: Fargo, ND

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
KejPi wrote:
The reason is probably that there are lines like:

Code:

->=app-accessibility/dasher-4.7


in package.mask. Why there is "-" before each package version? Is it valid?


portage accepts it so it is valid


What's the dash for anyway? How does portage use that information? Is it just garbage that portage ignores? or does it even have a meaning??
_________________
Knute
----------
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rwst
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwst wrote:
pussi wrote:
do you have
Code:
world = /var/db/pkg/world
in /etc/paludis/environment.conf?

Now, after I have created this file, and after changing owner/group everywhere in /var/db/pkg to paludis, the symptoms changed too:

1. paludis -r just gives 'Finished processing 2 packages, 0 errors.'
2. paludis -pi world gives
Code:

Dependency error:
  * In program paludis -pi world:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * When building dependency list:
  * When adding NamedSetDepSpec 'system':
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/baselayout':
  * When adding package 'virtual/baselayout-1.12.11.1::virtuals (virtual for sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1:0::gentoo)':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1:0::gentoo':
  * When adding package 'sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.51':
  * When adding package 'sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-lang/python-2.4':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r9:2.4::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-lang/tk-8.0':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/tk-8.4.18:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'x11-libs/libX11':
  * When adding package 'x11-libs/libX11-1.1.3:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=x11-libs/xtrans-1.0.1':
  * When adding package 'x11-libs/xtrans-1.0.3:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-devel/automake-1.10*':
  * When adding package 'sys-devel/automake-1.10:1.10::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'dev-lang/perl':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/perl-5.8.8-r4:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-libs/db':
  * When adding package 'sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2:4.5::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-lang/tcl-8.4':
  * When adding package 'dev-lang/tcl-8.4.18:0::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-devel/automake-1.10*':
  * Circular dependency: Atom '=sys-devel/automake-1.10*' matched by merge list entry 'sys-devel/automake-1.10:1.10::gentoo', which does not yet have its dependencies installed (paludis::CircularDependencyError)

Edit: What I don't understand: why do there have to be ...::gentoo packages and ...::installed packages. Is this normal?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5671
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knute wrote:
Naib wrote:
KejPi wrote:
The reason is probably that there are lines like:

Code:

->=app-accessibility/dasher-4.7


in package.mask. Why there is "-" before each package version? Is it valid?


portage accepts it so it is valid


What's the dash for anyway? How does portage use that information? Is it just garbage that portage ignores? or does it even have a meaning??


"-spec syntax can be used to remove a mask in a parent profile, but not necessarily a global mask"



its defined just paludis isn't compliant... how ironic
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rwst
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks, I sorted it out through stracing paludis (was my problem) but the missing link was this:
pussi wrote:
do you have
Code:
world = /var/db/pkg/world
in /etc/paludis/environment.conf?

Thanks again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

Stop arguing over the "-" syntax. The "-" syntax is valid. The reason paludis failed on it is that the gentoo package manager specs state that the "-" syntax inside a profile can only be used to override something masked in a parent profile (and /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask isn't part of a parent profile in this case).

So now all you gotta do is sync because they moved the mask to the base profile where it should've been all along.

This is all explained in the bug I posted
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dleverton
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 517

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
"-spec syntax can be used to remove a mask in a parent profile, but not necessarily a global mask"



its defined just paludis isn't compliant... how ironic
Did you read what you just quoted?

slycordinator wrote:
The reason paludis failed on it
You mean "warned", right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't the one who posted the issue, but I assume you're correct. Either way, I was just pointing out that paludis was exhibiting correct behavior while portage didn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
loftwyr
l33t
l33t


Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 970
Location: 43°38'23.62"N 79°27'8.60"W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through the thread but can't see if it's been addressed so I'm trying.

I (and the sunrise overlay) use g-cpan for a number of perl packages and I can't seem to get paludis to find them by default. I can get it if I add perl-gcpan to /usr/portage/profiles/categories but that's overwritten by going a gentoo repo sync. I can't seem to find it in the web page but is there a file like g-cpan uses (/etc/portage/categories) that paludis uses to reference any category extensions?

It's getting to be a pain having to manually add perl-gcpan to the default file every time I need to do an update or install a perl package.
_________________
My emerge --info
Have you run revdep-rebuild lately? It's in gentoolkit and it's worth a shot if things don't work well.
Celebrating 5 years of Gentoo-ing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3060
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you add it to /usr/local/portage/profiles/categories
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 10 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum