Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[PALUDIS] Support thread (current v. 0.26.*) - Part 4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe using the "--log-level warning" option gets rid of those QA messages
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Posts: 376
Location: Ekaterinburg, Russia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
I believe using the "--log-level warning" option gets rid of those QA messages
yes it works if type it in command line. but how to make it default?
i have PALUDIS_OPTIONS with this option in bashrc, but seems paludis just ignores it.

EDIT: only way i see is make PALUDIS_OPTIONS global environment variable
_________________
~amd64
rion-overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knute
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Location: Fargo, ND

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rion wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
I believe using the "--log-level warning" option gets rid of those QA messages
yes it works if type it in command line. but how to make it default?
i have PALUDIS_OPTIONS with this option in bashrc, but seems paludis just ignores it.


I use zsh and have it in my /etc/zshrc file. That way if I'm using it from root or my user the options are there and available.

For bash it would be (at least on my system -- Gentoo) /etc/bash/bashrc.
_________________
Knute
----------
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
creidiki
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 283
Location: Varese (Italy)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont work from paludis' bashrc.

You need to set in either your global environment (via an /etc/env.d file f. example) or your ~/.bashrc|~/.bash_profile|.zshrc|.blahrc
_________________
'((eINIT) (soor overlay))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing a weird difference in behavior between paludis and portage.

I've got conky installed and it's in my world file (and I specified the world file in environment.conf and verified that conky is in that file).

portage/emerge wants to remerge it because the ebuild now has a nano-syntax USE flag (though the flag is turned off). paludis, on the other hand, doesn't reinstall it.

Code:
# emerge world --newuse -p

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
...

[ebuild   R   ] app-admin/conky-1.4.9-r1  USE="-nano-syntax%"


Code:
# paludis -ip conky
Building target list...
Building dependency list...

These packages will be installed:

* app-admin/conky [R 1.4.9-r1] <target>
    X audacious (-bmpx) hddtemp -ipv6 -mpd -nano-syntax+ -rss truetype vim-syntax -wifi


But
Code:
paludis -i world --dl-reinstall if-use-changed


Doesn't have conky in the list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Posts: 376
Location: Ekaterinburg, Russia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creidiki wrote:
It wont work from paludis' bashrc.

You need to set in either your global environment (via an /etc/env.d file f. example) or your ~/.bashrc|~/.bash_profile|.zshrc|.blahrc

i think such things must not be global. bashrc is good place for them.
_________________
~amd64
rion-overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it doesn't have to be global. As he pointed out you can put it in your own ~/.bashrc or similar file if you use something other than bash
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rion
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Posts: 376
Location: Ekaterinburg, Russia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
But it doesn't have to be global. As he pointed out you can put it in your own ~/.bashrc or similar file if you use something other than bash
anyway config of default options for paludis must be in config file of paludis
_________________
~amd64
rion-overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phoenix_me
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Dec 2003
Posts: 281
Location: Lubliniec

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
creidiki wrote:
The main tree has silent package changes, and paludis uses the tree ebuild when you do a -pi. Get used to it :D


I think what he's trying to say is that paludis CLAIMS the package (version 2.6.25-r1) is installed already when it is not (note how he said the latest version he installed was 2.6.25 and not 2.6.25-r1).

AFAIK,

1) There was no "silent add" of anything in this case
2) 2.6.25-r1 was created because 2.6.25 had a bad patch that failed on all x86/32-bit boxes

So again, phoenix_me show us the output of paludis


My english is not good (it's not my native) But you're right regarding what I was trying to said :).

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>
Red colour mean 2.6.25-r1 is installed in my system (paludis assumption) WRONG
and
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1[S 2.6.25-r1] <target>
Red colour 2.6.25-r1 the version that will be install as Slotted package - that's ok.

So I think that output of paludis should look like this
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target> (without r1)

If I am wrong then please explain me what mean 2.6.25-r1 (the one which is before the bracket)

slycordinator wrote:

So again, phoenix_me show us the output of paludis


What do you mean by "output of paludis" isn't it the code I show to you before? (and which is below?)

Code:
paludis -ip gentoo-sources

Building dependency list...

These packages will be installed:

* sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>
    -build symlink
    43.08 kBytes to download

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), at most 43.08 kBytes to download

 * No unread news items found

_________________
phoenix
___
myslenie ma przyszlosc
___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knute
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Location: Fargo, ND

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creidiki wrote:
It wont work from paludis' bashrc.

You need to set in either your global environment (via an /etc/env.d file f. example) or your ~/.bashrc|~/.bash_profile|.zshrc|.blahrc


I didn't say to set it in paludis' bashrc file!

I said to set it, for bash users, in the /etc/bash/bashrc file (that's it's location on my system anyway (gentoo))... but since I use zsh, I set it in /etc/zsh/zshrc.

The files that I am speaking of ARE NOT RELATED TO paludis in any way other than to set global/user specific settings for the os.
_________________
Knute
----------
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix_me wrote:
Code:
paludis -ip gentoo-sources

Building dependency list...

These packages will be installed:

* sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>
    -build symlink
    43.08 kBytes to download

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), at most 43.08 kBytes to download

 * No unread news items found


The S stands for SLOT. If paludis thought it was already installed it would have an R there which stands for REINSTALL.

This will happen everytime you install a kernel source, btw. In fact, portage (emerge) displays the same exact thing (just in a different way).

edit: And the part that you put in red didn't mean that paludis thought that version was installed. In fact, the part you made red is the part where paludis specifies the version that it is going to install.

Where it says "2.6.25-r1" before the brackets it is telling you "Hey I am installing this into slot 2.6.25-r1" and the second part tells you that version number "2.6.25-r1" is being installed into that slot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phoenix_me
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Dec 2003
Posts: 281
Location: Lubliniec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
phoenix_me wrote:
Code:
paludis -ip gentoo-sources

Building dependency list...

These packages will be installed:

* sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>
    -build symlink
    43.08 kBytes to download

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), at most 43.08 kBytes to download

 * No unread news items found


The S stands for SLOT. If paludis thought it was already installed it would have an R there which stands for REINSTALL.

This will happen everytime you install a kernel source, btw. In fact, portage (emerge) displays the same exact thing (just in a different way).

edit: And the part that you put in red didn't mean that paludis thought that version was installed. In fact, the part you made red is the part where paludis specifies the version that it is going to install.

Where it says "2.6.25-r1" before the brackets it is telling you "Hey I am installing this into slot 2.6.25-r1" and the second part tells you that version number "2.6.25-r1" is being installed into that slot.


It doesn't make sense for me - what's the reason for double the information?
As I wrote in last post the correct output should look like
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>

I don't have access right now to my box but I believe that output right now is looking like
Code:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1 [R 2.6.25-r1] <target>


also I remember that when I am upgrading any package then the output is looking like:
Code:
kde-misc/krusader :1.6 [U 1.7] <target>
.

but I will confirm this later today when I will have access to my box. If I am right then after comparing two outputs
Code:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25-r1 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>
kde-misc/krusader :1.6 [U 1.7] <target>

we will be sure that one of them is wrong.

If you have access to your box please find the package that will be installed as SLOTTED package and the version before brackets will be the same as the on in bracket. I think that you will not be able to find such thing.

IMHO if I am wrong then we have lack of logic in paludis :)
_________________
phoenix
___
myslenie ma przyszlosc
___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
creidiki
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 283
Location: Varese (Italy)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. because the "version before the brackets", as you call it, IS THE SLOT.

Not paludis' fault kernels have a 1:1 slot-version correspondence.
_________________
'((eINIT) (soor overlay))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix_me wrote:
It doesn't make sense for me - what's the reason for double the information?


It's not "double information." Just because the same string is written twice doesn't mean it's the same information.

Like I said "The part before the brackets is specifying the SLOT being installed into" and "The part inside the brackets is specifying the package version being installed."

Quote:
As I wrote in last post the correct output should look like
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>


In short: No.

The point of a slot is to allow 2 different versions of a package to exist simultaneously. Like all gtk-1 versions would in a slot so that if you installed gtk-2 it wouldn't try to punt gtk-1 which might've been needed for some crap.

But in the case of the kernel it was decided that every kernel source you ever install will be in its own slot. This way, when you install a new kernel source, the old one will still remain as a backup. Like if you installed 2.6.25-r1 (and it was being put into the 2.6.25 slot), the kernel source for version 2.6.25 would be deleted.

Also, paludis isn't using some sort of "logic" to determine what the SLOT is. The SLOT version is specified in the kernel eclass... and it specifies that if every kernel has its own slot. So if paludis had the SLOT for 2.6.25-r1 be something other than 2.6.25-r1 it would be breaking compatibility with portage since it would be exhibiting behavior outside of the package manager specifications (and the gentoo package manager specs were mostly written by the paludis devs so they'd tend to know what's going on).

The only difference between what paludis is doing compared to portage is that paludis has the courtesy to tell you what slot a package is actually going into. And if portage were changed to display slot versions, it'd display something just like paludis is right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finswimmer
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 Sep 2004
Posts: 5467
Location: Langen (Hessen), Germany

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea:

If I started a long "emerge" during which some packages failed and I press Ctrl and C paludis does not show which packages failed.

Maybe the "status messages" after a complete build progress could be presented after each end of paludis. No matter if it ends by default or by user?

Tobi
_________________
Bitte auf Rechtschreibung, korrekte Formatierung und Höflichkeit achten!
Danke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
creidiki
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 283
Location: Varese (Italy)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finswimmer wrote:
Maybe the "status messages" after a complete build progress could be presented after each end of paludis. No matter if it ends by default or by user?

You probably want to ask that on the ML or IRC, given that most paludis devs avoid the forums.
_________________
'((eINIT) (soor overlay))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finswimmer
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 Sep 2004
Posts: 5467
Location: Langen (Hessen), Germany

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creidiki wrote:
Finswimmer wrote:
Maybe the "status messages" after a complete build progress could be presented after each end of paludis. No matter if it ends by default or by user?

You probably want to ask that on the ML or IRC, given that most paludis devs avoid the forums.


Just wanted to ask first here if it is a good idea. If everybody think it is stupid/unnecceseray I do not ask it at ML or IRC.

So...What do you think?

Tobi
_________________
Bitte auf Rechtschreibung, korrekte Formatierung und Höflichkeit achten!
Danke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
creidiki
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 283
Location: Varese (Italy)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to know but to ask, tbh. I mean, I'd like it ...

At worse, they'll shout at you :)
_________________
'((eINIT) (soor overlay))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Knute
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 362
Location: Fargo, ND

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i've noticed is that with packages that fail when I'm building world or something, if I simply use paludis to install them, it will give you the messages that you need in order to install them, either that or it will pull in what it needs so that it can compile successfully.
_________________
Knute
----------
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-- Mark Twain

If you want proof of that, take a look at windows sometime. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's saying if you tell it to continue on failure (going on to the next package that doesn't depend on a failed package) then later hit ctrl+c you won't be able to find out which ones failed.

Essentially. the messages you're referring to probably aren't happening when you do ctrl+c.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phoenix_me
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Dec 2003
Posts: 281
Location: Lubliniec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
phoenix_me wrote:
It doesn't make sense for me - what's the reason for double the information?


It's not "double information." Just because the same string is written twice doesn't mean it's the same information.

Like I said "The part before the brackets is specifying the SLOT being installed into" and "The part inside the brackets is specifying the package version being installed."

Quote:
As I wrote in last post the correct output should look like
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources :2.6.25 [S 2.6.25-r1] <target>


In short: No.

The point of a slot is to allow 2 different versions of a package to exist simultaneously. Like all gtk-1 versions would in a slot so that if you installed gtk-2 it wouldn't try to punt gtk-1 which might've been needed for some crap.

But in the case of the kernel it was decided that every kernel source you ever install will be in its own slot. This way, when you install a new kernel source, the old one will still remain as a backup. Like if you installed 2.6.25-r1 (and it was being put into the 2.6.25 slot), the kernel source for version 2.6.25 would be deleted.

Also, paludis isn't using some sort of "logic" to determine what the SLOT is. The SLOT version is specified in the kernel eclass... and it specifies that if every kernel has its own slot. So if paludis had the SLOT for 2.6.25-r1 be something other than 2.6.25-r1 it would be breaking compatibility with portage since it would be exhibiting behavior outside of the package manager specifications (and the gentoo package manager specs were mostly written by the paludis devs so they'd tend to know what's going on).

The only difference between what paludis is doing compared to portage is that paludis has the courtesy to tell you what slot a package is actually going into. And if portage were changed to display slot versions, it'd display something just like paludis is right now.


OK, I am understand your point of view. But sometimes I am little confused the way paludis is showing info. Anyway it will be helpfull if while installing packages (slotted) the paludis will show also what other versions are already installed.
_________________
phoenix
___
myslenie ma przyszlosc
___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phoenix_me
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Dec 2003
Posts: 281
Location: Lubliniec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to upgrade my "world", but I have query error:
Code:
Query error:
  * In program paludis -ip world:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * When building dependency list:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'mail-client/sylpheed-claws':

 * No unread news items found
  * No versions of 'mail-client/sylpheed-claws' are available.


I was using sylpheed-claws long long ago, while the name was changed to claws-mail I unistalled the sylpheed-claws and installed claws-mail. I don't know why paludis is complain about sylpheed-claws. Is it because of some dependencies still pointing to sylpheed-claws or maybe it is still somewhere in world file?

How can I
1.. check what's the reason of this error
2.. resolve it
3.. or just skip it?
_________________
phoenix
___
myslenie ma przyszlosc
___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lazx888
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation of www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin-3.0_beta5-r1 with portage works. But with paludis, does not.

/opt/firefox after emerge mozilla-firefox-bin:
Quote:
ls /opt/firefox/
application.ini firefox-bin libplds4.so plugins
blocklist.xml greprefs libsmime3.so README.txt
browserconfig.properties icons libsoftokn3.chk removed-files
chrome libfreebl3.chk libsoftokn3.so res
components libfreebl3.so libsqlite3.so run-mozilla.sh
crashreporter libmozjs.so libssl3.so searchplugins
crashreporter.ini libnspr4.so libxpcom.so Throbber-small.gif
crashreporter-override.ini libnss3.so libxul.so updater
defaults libnssckbi.so modules updater.ini
dictionaries libnssdbm3.so mozilla-xremote-client
extensions libnssutil3.so old-homepage-default.properties
firefox libplc4.so platform.ini


/opt/firefox after paludis -i mozilla-firefox-bin:
Quote:
ls /opt/firefox/
extensions plugins


what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 3059
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix_me wrote:
I am trying to upgrade my "world", but I have query error:
Code:
Query error:
  * In program paludis -ip world:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * When building dependency list:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'mail-client/sylpheed-claws':

 * No unread news items found
  * No versions of 'mail-client/sylpheed-claws' are available.


I was using sylpheed-claws long long ago, while the name was changed to claws-mail I unistalled the sylpheed-claws and installed claws-mail. I don't know why paludis is complain about sylpheed-claws. Is it because of some dependencies still pointing to sylpheed-claws or maybe it is still somewhere in world file?

How can I
1.. check what's the reason of this error
2.. resolve it
3.. or just skip it?


It's probably that sylpheed-claws is still in your world file.

Code:
grep -n sylpheed-claws /var/db/pkg/world


Assuming your that is your world file, it'll show you if sylpheed-claws is in your world and which line number it's at.

Then assuming you need to remove line number 10 you do
Code:
sed -i -e '10d' /var/db/pkg/world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
siddesu
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 21
Location: japan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finswimmer wrote:
creidiki wrote:
Finswimmer wrote:
Maybe the "status messages" after a complete build progress could be presented after each end of paludis. No matter if it ends by default or by user?

You probably want to ask that on the ML or IRC, given that most paludis devs avoid the forums.


Just wanted to ask first here if it is a good idea. If everybody think it is stupid/unnecceseray I do not ask it at ML or IRC.

So...What do you think?

Tobi


it seems paludis is designed mainly with unattended installation in mind, so i doubt spitting out a ton of messages on installation end would be a very good idea.

the paludis logfile is pretty easy to read anyway. what advantages over reading the log would your idea have?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum