Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
<linux-2.6.30_rc6-r5 & reiserfs: don't do it - 2.6.33 UPDATE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DigitalCorpus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsck -p would do the trick for you. I'm running reiser4 for /, /home and /usr/portage
_________________
Atlas (HDTV PVR, HTTP & Media server)
http://atlas.selfip.net/Info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dreadlorde
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 243
Location: /adm/timezone/US_Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
reiser4 in kernel?

am going all reiser4 right now. great!

DigitalCorpus wrote:
Reiser4 in mainline kernel! w00t :!: :!: :!:

Sweeeeeeet. I hope we can get large file performance fixed. Well not really that, but deletion performance. I cannot delete anythign faster than reading my disks at 10MiB/sec

Where did you two generate this knowledge?
_________________
Ludwig von Mises Institute
Quote:
I am not to be a shepherd, I am not to be a grave-digger. No longer will I speak to the people; for the last time I have spoken to the dead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1159

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadlorde wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
reiser4 in kernel?

am going all reiser4 right now. great!

DigitalCorpus wrote:
Reiser4 in mainline kernel! w00t :!: :!: :!:

Sweeeeeeet. I hope we can get large file performance fixed. Well not really that, but deletion performance. I cannot delete anythign faster than reading my disks at 10MiB/sec

Where did you two generate this knowledge?


Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi people,
>

Hello.

> A simple question, does anyone can tell me information about reiserfs4,

Use the latest -mm kernel, or patch against vanilla kernel:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/
Report, if any problems.

> if
> is it going to be included in the main kernel, and if yes, which version?
>

There are some technical/organization issues
to be resolved before inclusion. Not now.
May be in Aug/Sept.

Thanks,
Edward.

> I ask this 'cause, thinking on what happened to the reiser creator, I'm
> thinking if my next servers will have reiserfs 3x or ext4.
>
> Thanks,
> Jorge,
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe reiserfs-devel" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>
>
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DigitalCorpus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadlorde wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
reiser4 in kernel?

am going all reiser4 right now. great!

DigitalCorpus wrote:
Reiser4 in mainline kernel! w00t :!: :!: :!:

Sweeeeeeet. I hope we can get large file performance fixed. Well not really that, but deletion performance. I cannot delete anythign faster than reading my disks at 10MiB/sec

Where did you two generate this knowledge?


We did not generate the knowledge. A few days prior kernelOftruth posted this:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Hey !

great news !

Edward posted the following:

Quote:
Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi people,
>

Hello.

> A simple question, does anyone can tell me information about reiserfs4,

Use the latest -mm kernel, or patch against vanilla kernel:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/
Report, if any problems.

> if
> is it going to be included in the main kernel, and if yes, which version?
>

There are some technical/organization issues
to be resolved
before inclusion. Not now.
May be in Aug/Sept.

Thanks,
Edward.

> I ask this 'cause, thinking on what happened to the reiser creator, I'm
> thinking if my next servers will have reiserfs 3x or ext4.
>
> Thanks,
> Jorge,
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe reiserfs-devel" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>
>


Just a few posts above ours
_________________
Atlas (HDTV PVR, HTTP & Media server)
http://atlas.selfip.net/Info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigitalCorpus wrote:
dreadlorde wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
reiser4 in kernel?

am going all reiser4 right now. great!

DigitalCorpus wrote:
Reiser4 in mainline kernel! w00t :!: :!: :!:

Sweeeeeeet. I hope we can get large file performance fixed. Well not really that, but deletion performance. I cannot delete anythign faster than reading my disks at 10MiB/sec

Where did you two generate this knowledge?


We did not generate the knowledge. A few days prior kernelOftruth posted this:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Hey !

great news !

Edward posted the following:

Quote:
Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi people,
>

Hello.

> A simple question, does anyone can tell me information about reiserfs4,

Use the latest -mm kernel, or patch against vanilla kernel:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/
Report, if any problems.

> if
> is it going to be included in the main kernel, and if yes, which version?
>

There are some technical/organization issues
to be resolved
before inclusion. Not now.
May be in Aug/Sept.

Thanks,
Edward.

> I ask this 'cause, thinking on what happened to the reiser creator, I'm
> thinking if my next servers will have reiserfs 3x or ext4.
>
> Thanks,
> Jorge,
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe reiserfs-devel" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>
>


Just a few posts above ours


here you go:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.reiserfs.general/22382/focus=22383
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used ReiserFS for a long time a while back and tried Reiser4 once. I've also tried XFS and JFS since and I particularly liked JFS. Right now though, I think ext4 is really the way to go. I used to associate the "ext" filesystems with being slow but that simply isn't the case anymore.

The big data loss controversy was very widely misunderstood. The problems users were complaining about were no worse than what you experience with XFS (and possibly others) but because many of these users were migrating from the super-safe ext3, they weren't expecting it. Due to the complaints, adjustments have been made to cope with the most common data loss problems, but beyond that, you'd be sacrificing a lot of speed for stability.

It's really important to read about the mount options for ext4, particularly the "commit" and "data" options. It has some pretty conservative defaults, like write-barriers being on, and that can really slow it down. If stability is really important to you, you can set it to behave much like ext3 and it would probably still be a bit faster than actually using ext3.

I've now been using ext4 across my system for a month. It's blazingly fast and I haven't seen any data loss, despite a few (fglrx-related) crashes. I highly recommend it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 399
Location: Bay Area, US

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
I've now been using ext4 across my system for a month. It's blazingly fast and I haven't seen any data loss, despite a few (fglrx-related) crashes. I highly recommend it.


I 'succesfully' hibernated and my system did not boot. Damaged root inode or something like that. After the fsck my system booted but it had certain problems:
Code:

# stat /usr/lib/esmtp-plugins/sasl-cram-md5.so
  File: `/usr/lib/esmtp-plugins/sasl-cram-md5.so'
  Size: 2147680259   Blocks: 458754     IO Block: 4096   weird file
Device: fe04h/65028d   Inode: 624504      Links: 24
Access: (0006/?------rw-)  Uid: (131074/ UNKNOWN)   Gid: (131095/ UNKNOWN)
Access: 1970-01-02 13:24:39.877998306 +0100
Modify: 1970-01-02 13:24:34.049994227 +0100
Change: 1970-01-08 15:02:42.049994227 +0100
# ls /usr/lib/libesmtp.so.5.1.5
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/libesmtp.so.5.1.5: Input/output error


PS. No. I didn't install Gentoo in 1970 and I did not have 130000 users.
_________________
I've probably left my head... somwhere. Please wait untill I find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. I haven't seen anything like that. Which kernel were you using at the time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 399
Location: Bay Area, US

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
That's unfortunate. I haven't seen anything like that. Which kernel were you using at the time?


linux-2.6.29-tuxonice-r3

This is my 3rd time with ext problems (1st on hibernation). On 7 partitions I had 2, on ext4, was damaged and 5, 4 on reiserfs and /boot on ext2, was not.

I had no problems ever with reiserfs - neither with reiser4 (although I hardly used r4 - but still longer then ext4).
_________________
I've probably left my head... somwhere. Please wait untill I find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With tuxonice being a very large non-standard patch, it's probably fair to say that ext4 hasn't been tested much with it. Maybe best to avoid that combo for now. I personally prefer uswsusp but I know it's a bit harder to setup and doesn't work for everyone.

Oh yeah, what are your mount options?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 399
Location: Bay Area, US

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
With tuxonice being a very large non-standard patch, it's probably fair to say that ext4 hasn't been tested much with it. Maybe best to avoid that combo for now. I personally prefer uswsusp but I know it's a bit harder to setup and doesn't work for everyone.

Oh yeah, what are your mount options?


From /etc/fstab:
Code:
UUID=uuid_of_root   /      ext4      relatime      1 1
UUID=uuid_of_usr   /usr      ext4      relatime      1 2

Root is /dev/sda1 (PATA) and /usr is /dev/vg/usr (the same PATA + LVM).

I never met uswsusp set up manual. If you have one I'd switch.
_________________
I've probably left my head... somwhere. Please wait untill I find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well certainly can't complain about those options! Like I said, ext4 has some pretty conversative defaults. I'd report this to tuxonice if it isn't already a common problem.

uswsusp is a bit involved but I wrote a rough guide on it here. It worked the last time I tried it but that was a good few month ago now because this machine has become a server.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 399
Location: Bay Area, US

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
Well certainly can't complain about those options! Like I said, ext4 has some pretty conversative defaults. I'd report this to tuxonice if it isn't already a common problem.

uswsusp is a bit involved but I wrote a rough guide on it here. It worked the last time I tried it but that was a good few month ago now because this machine has become a server.


Thanks. Works for me. I guess you could post it on gentoo wiki. (I even enabled fb but spash didn't work. I'll try splash once more in some time). At least for small RAM usage it seems to be faster then toi.
_________________
I've probably left my head... somwhere. Please wait untill I find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release version of 2.6.30 works just fine as far as reiserfs is concerned. No fancy stuff needed, just compile resiserfs support in, and you're set. Yay!

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
The release version of 2.6.30 works just fine as far as reiserfs is concerned. No fancy stuff needed, just compile resiserfs support in, and you're set. Yay!

Blessed be!
Pappy


++

no problems so far :)
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6929
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, it works great. :)
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 237
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys, what FS do you recommend for /usr/portage and /var/tmp/portage
- ext4
- btrfs
- reiserfs
- reiser4

I have ext4 everywhere now. But I was thinking to move the portage over to reiserfs...
and later when btrfs and reiser4 will be stable (if ever), move root on btrfs and portage on reiser4

What do you recommend ?
If any of you had experiences with btrfs/reiserfs/reiser4... please share :)

thanks,


Last edited by MarcusXP on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean /usr/portage, not /etc/portage. If you're using ext4 for those, I'd stick with that. I can't be bothered pulling up any stats but I think it should beat reiserfs, especially if you use some of the less-safe options. There's no harm in doing that for either of those directories because the data is very easily replaceable. In fact, with 4GB of RAM, I use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage. That REALLY makes a difference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 237
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I meant /usr/portage, not /etc/portage :)

I've seen a guy saying he got like 4x performance increase from ext(x) to reiserfs, since there are lots of small files under 4k in the portage.
And I have 4GB of ram indeed.. do you have a link on how to mount tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage, please?
I might do that, and move /usr/portage to reiserfs (until reiser4 will be supported in the kernel, then I'll switch it to reiser4)
There is nothing very important in these two partitions, so the risk may worth the extra performance increase :)

EDIT: found this link

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs

I think this is the way to go, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right about reiserfs, I'd be interested to know your results. I have /usr/portage on a separate LVM partition so it would be easy for me to switch.

I've never seen that wiki page but I added something similar to fstab. Obviously if you're going to do OpenOffice, you'll need to umount it first.
Code:
tmpfs   /var/tmp/portage   tmpfs   size=2g,uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=0775   0 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 237
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I have in fstab right now:

Code:
tmpfs                   /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs           size=2048M,mode=0777    0 0


I mounted it and I ran "emerge -av gentoo-sources" (I deleted everything was in /var/tmp/portage before to mounting, since it is useless, right?)
It seemed like a LOT faster than what I've seen before.. it DOES make a huge difference mounting /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs
I should compile some larger packages to see how fast it goes... maybe at the next KDE release :)
However, at this point I don't know if mounting /usr/portage to reiserfs would bring additional performance.. do you know a way to test this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewi
Developer
Developer


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 872
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into benchmarks but you could use "time" while trying various operations. Maybe try each one a few times to get an average. If your system hasn't been updated in a while, "emerge -upD world" would be a good one to try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 6929
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It especially makes a difference when residing on slow notebook HDDs - on desktop hardware, performance gains would be still noticable, but negligible.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarcusXP
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 237
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
It especially makes a difference when residing on slow notebook HDDs - on desktop hardware, performance gains would be still noticable, but negligible.


That's what I thought, too.. so on my desktops I only used /var/tmp/portage with tmpfs, and I let /usr/portage on ext4.
On my laptop I used /var/tmp/portage with tmpfs and also I created a reiserfs partition for /usr/portage:

[/etc/fstab]
Quote:
tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs size=2048M,mode=0777 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 auto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda3 / ext4 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda6 /usr/portage reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0


I am emerging KDE-4.3 on my laptop, and it is FAST :)

this is my partition configuration:
[parted]
Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  132MB   132MB   primary   ext2
 2      132MB   4425MB  4294MB  primary   linux-swap
 3      4425MB  79.6GB  75.2GB  primary   ext3
 4      79.6GB  160GB   80.5GB  extended
 5      79.6GB  152GB   72.0GB  logical   ext3
 6      152GB   160GB   8488MB  logical   reiserfs


/dev/sda5 is a copy of my root partition (/dev/sda3). I plan to keep a good copy of my root, so in case that I screw something up, I can always revert easily :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raddaqii
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 102
Location: Berlin, Old Europe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To re-connect to the original topic, I have this:

Code:
Linux leeds 2.6.30-gentoo-r4


which got me scared concerning this thread. :P But everything worked and works fine, and I hadn't even noticed there was an issue with 2.6.30 and reiserfs. Pappy is right. And yes, I've been using reiserfs for two years now for these:

Code:

/dev/hda7 on /var type reiserfs (rw,notail)
/dev/hda8 on /usr/portage type reiserfs (rw,notail)


/var does contain subversion, trac, mail and mysql data. All rather valuable, no reason to doubt. Is it fast? Don't know, but I feel it is, and got faster eix-sync show this:

Code:

 * Benötigte Zeit:
   106 Sekunden für syncen
    40 Sekunden für update-eix
     1 Sekunden für diff-eix
   147 Sekunden insgesamt


Anyhow, if I feel daring I might try XFS on the media collection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum