Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
radeonhd r6xx-7xx EXA performance patch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: radeonhd r6xx-7xx EXA performance patch Reply with quote

I have written a patch to speed up radeonhd EXA acceleration on the r6xx/r7xx GPUs. My benchmarks indicate between a 5 to 10% speed up. The people that have fast video cards, slow cpus, or both will get the most benefit (This is great for laptops).


If you wish to try it first make sure you have EXA and DRI working from a source tree build. I would appreciate some before and after tests results. Please test with gtkperf doing 1000 test rounds. Thanks


Download my patch from here

http://pastebin.com/ff1e8c3c

Note when downloading from this link it will down load as a dos text file with a CR/LF at the end of every line.

we can fix it with the command

sed 's/.$//' patch > fixed.patch

or run dos2unix on the patch file.

once again it should be able to be applied to current git or radeonhd-1.2.5
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5387

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if I use the 999999 x11-drm the, I should inject it into what file?
better post it at bugs.gentoo.org
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't effect x11-drm
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7112
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should open a bug and upload it there. That way your patch won't get lost.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 458

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with updating it to b.g.o. It is the best place for these things to go. And hell you never know, it could get permanently implemented into a ebuild if it works well...
_________________
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better... push it upstream...
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it will not be accepted up stream. :( It makes the code very unreadable and very difficult to modify and maintain. I have talked to the developers and they are not willing to make the trade off for just 5 to 10%. As long as new chips are being supported with this code I don't expect any of it to go in. Later some of it may go in but the improvement will only be like 1 to 2%.

I will try to post it to b.g.o
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to b.g.o

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=271923


vote for it

:D
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I'm a little disappointed in the response from my fellow Gentoo users :( .
I got more results and feedback from some Ubuntu users
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?s=00b9d0c94db5200e701bc368ee46fbe7&t=17139
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: radeonhd r6xx-7xx EXA performance patch Reply with quote

ConnClark wrote:
I have written a patch to speed up radeonhd EXA acceleration on the r6xx/r7xx GPUs. My benchmarks indicate between a 5 to 10% speed up. The people that have fast video cards, slow cpus, or both will get the most benefit (This is great for laptops).


If you wish to try it first make sure you have EXA and DRI working from a source tree build. I would appreciate some before and after tests results. Please test with gtkperf doing 1000 test rounds. Thanks


Download my patch from here

http://pastebin.com/ff1e8c3c

Note when downloading from this link it will down load as a dos text file with a CR/LF at the end of every line.

we can fix it with the command

sed 's/.$//' patch > fixed.patch

or run dos2unix on the patch file.

once again it should be able to be applied to current git or radeonhd-1.2.5


if this actually does something why wouldnt you submit it upstream?
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have submitted it up stream. Unfortunately it makes the code hard to manage for the developers and will not be accepted on that basis.
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnClark wrote:
I must say I'm a little disappointed in the response from my fellow Gentoo users :( .
I got more results and feedback from some Ubuntu users
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?s=00b9d0c94db5200e701bc368ee46fbe7&t=17139


the problem is - at least for me - that I can't get those drivers to work for me at all (-> always only black screen and as a last resort: magic sysrq key :lol: )

so there's no chance to evaluate right now

but if you know me: I love everything related to tweaking, hardening, etc. and especially speed improvements in 3D :D

so thank you VERY MUCH and warm kudos for your excellent work

the bad thing with linux, X, etc. is:

there's only one way (coding style, etc.) or the highway (speed, performance and other nice stuff)

obviously the first one currently has more dominance over the latter (you just need to take a look at lkml, etc.) which is not always for the better *sigh* :roll:

good luck for inclusion,

hopefully they are willing to include it and there's someone who can improve coding style or readability so both camps have their advantage of this patch :)
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConnClark
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

the problem is - at least for me - that I can't get those drivers to work for me at all (-> always only black screen and as a last resort: magic sysrq key :lol: )


hmm.... strange.
Quote:


so thank you VERY MUCH and warm kudos for your excellent work


Your thanks is appreciated.
Quote:


the bad thing with linux, X, etc. is:

there's only one way (coding style, etc.) or the highway (speed, performance and other nice stuff)

obviously the first one currently has more dominance over the latter (you just need to take a look at lkml, etc.) which is not always for the better *sigh* :roll:

good luck for inclusion,

hopefully they are willing to include it and there's someone who can improve coding style or readability so both camps have their advantage of this patch :)


My patch the way I have written really does make the code hard to change. In fact I totally agree that it should not be merged in the mainline tree. Unfortunately ease of maintenance and readability are diametrically opposed to speed. The best solution would be to improve the compiler to do some of the optimizations I have. To bad that is far harder to do.
_________________
In formal computer science advances are made by standing on the shoulders of giants. Linux has shown that, if there are enough of you, you can advance just as far by stepping on each others toes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum