Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[zen-sources] 2.6.30-zen1 "Summertime Tropic Eclipse"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: [zen-sources] 2.6.30-zen1 "Summertime Tropic Eclipse&qu Reply with quote

Ok so here it is, the much anticipated 2.6.30-zen1 release. Note for BTRFS users, the disk format changed, there is no going back if you use this kernel. Radeon KMS is also in this kernel. PS3 support is also new in this kernel. Nothing else is really special in this release... all of the other drivers were updated. The ebuild is in zen-overlay but like always, the preferred way to use our kernel is via git.

http://zen-sources.org/content/zen-sources-2630-zen1
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.


Last edited by rmh3093 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy!

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Joy!

Blessed be!
Pappy


++
:D

thanks a lot, rmh3093, cheater, dodo, waninkoko, etc.
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shaumux
l33t
l33t


Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 996
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
pappy_mcfae wrote:
Joy!

Blessed be!
Pappy


++
:D

thanks a lot, rmh3093, cheater, dodo, waninkoko, etc.
++
Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Non_E
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Posts: 160
Location: Czech Republic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
_________________
Only Sith deals in absolutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ebrsc
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the release.

Anyone getting random disconnections with iwl3945? dmesg is silent about this, everything is reported as expected in iwconfig, ifconfig. I'm a bit clueless with this one. FWIW, I got the same issue with latest -mm, latest git from Linus' tree and with -next. However, 2.6.30-zen0 wireless was and is still fine on my machine.

TIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly same thing here with same hardware (-zen0 works ok) :(
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 5997
Location: Pomona, California.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up on four out of four, with one ebuild needing modification because of xorg-server-1.6.x and nvidia-drivers-173.14.18. No issues so far!

Blessed be!
Pappy
_________________
This space left intentionally blank, except for these ASCII symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know the strange thing with this iwl3945 bug? I get network outage (and have to manually restart networking) just when my girlfriend connect with her laptop to the wpa/wpa2 access point 8O
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrsc wrote:
Thanks for the release.

Anyone getting random disconnections with iwl3945? dmesg is silent about this, everything is reported as expected in iwconfig, ifconfig. I'm a bit clueless with this one. FWIW, I got the same issue with latest -mm, latest git from Linus' tree and with -next. However, 2.6.30-zen0 wireless was and is still fine on my machine.

TIA


yep I get it also, its a bug in vanilla 2.6.30 which is why I tried pulling in wireless-testing and the issue still exists, chrome seems to trigger it a lot, so does svn and git, if I use konky I hardly get disconnected
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
exactly same thing here with same hardware (-zen0 works ok) :(


are u sure?
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, sorry, I just cheched and it's a
Code:
0e:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

and probably my girlfriend thing laptop thing was a coincidence, but the disconnecting issue actually happens...
sorry again, maybe sometime I get too excited :D
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrsc wrote:
Thanks for the release.

Anyone getting random disconnections with iwl3945? dmesg is silent about this, everything is reported as expected in iwconfig, ifconfig. I'm a bit clueless with this one. FWIW, I got the same issue with latest -mm, latest git from Linus' tree and with -next. However, 2.6.30-zen0 wireless was and is still fine on my machine.

TIA


This may be caused by power saving features added to wireless drivers (CONFIG_MAC80211_DEFAULT_PS), these were removed from zen today (?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DigitalCorpus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dumped over to 2.6.30-zen1 last night. Only problem I'm having is iftop is pegging 1 core of my Q6700 at ~98% with kernel CPU time. Don't know why it's misbehaving. Any suggestions?
_________________
Atlas (HDTV PVR, HTTP & Media server)
http://atlas.selfip.net/Info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 hours up with new pull and no network outage :)
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigitalCorpus wrote:
I just dumped over to 2.6.30-zen1 last night. Only problem I'm having is iftop is pegging 1 core of my Q6700 at ~98% with kernel CPU time. Don't know why it's misbehaving. Any suggestions?


what process is doing that?
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
3 hours up with new pull and no network outage :)


i still get them... for me chromium triggers it all the time, then git and svn
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 223
Location: beach of slack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still up, and for test pulled kvm and mplayer, all ok (.config, lsmod).
_________________
look for monty python channel on youtube :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DigitalCorpus
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 245

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
DigitalCorpus wrote:
I just dumped over to 2.6.30-zen1 last night. Only problem I'm having is iftop is pegging 1 core of my Q6700 at ~98% with kernel CPU time. Don't know why it's misbehaving. Any suggestions?


what process is doing that?

iftop

it is a python based network tool to monitor active connections.

Aside from this I have no complaints. System has been up for 24 hours. Let's see if I can go two weeks without a crash. Need to do some transcoding to test it too.
_________________
Atlas (HDTV PVR, HTTP & Media server)
http://atlas.selfip.net/Info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
costel78
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Apr 2007
Posts: 310

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this everytime when I try to use portage with zen-sources-2.6.30-r1
Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/bin/ebuild", line 249, in <module>
    debug=debug, tree=mytree)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 6330, in doebuild
    fetchme, mysettings, listonly=listonly, fetchonly=fetchonly):
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 4055, in fetch
    wantnewlockfile=1, **lock_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/locks.py", line 64, in lockfile
    myfd = os.open(lockfilename, os.O_CREAT|os.O_RDWR, 0660)
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/usr/portage/distfiles/.mc-4.6.2-pre1-patches-1.tbz2.portage_lockfile'
 * Fetch failed for 'app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1/temp/build.log'


Code:
gentoo ~ # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type reiser4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda9 on /mnt/virtual type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sda11 on /boot type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sda12 on /usr/portage/distfiles type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/date type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)


Distfiles dir is reiserfs, root is reiser4.
All partitions are clean, checked, no errors or warnings in dmsg and the errors occur only when I try to emerge something.
With kernel-2.6.29 everything goes smoothly.

What could cause this error ?

LATER:
In fact I'm unable to create any new file on reiserfs formated partition:
Code:
gentoo virtual # touch test
touch: setting times of `test': No such file or directory

_________________
Sorry for my English. I'm still learning this language.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

costel78 wrote:
I got this everytime when I try to use portage with zen-sources-2.6.30-r1
Code:
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/bin/ebuild", line 249, in <module>
    debug=debug, tree=mytree)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 6330, in doebuild
    fetchme, mysettings, listonly=listonly, fetchonly=fetchonly):
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 4055, in fetch
    wantnewlockfile=1, **lock_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/locks.py", line 64, in lockfile
    myfd = os.open(lockfilename, os.O_CREAT|os.O_RDWR, 0660)
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/usr/portage/distfiles/.mc-4.6.2-pre1-patches-1.tbz2.portage_lockfile'
 * Fetch failed for 'app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1/temp/build.log'


Code:
gentoo ~ # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type reiser4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda9 on /mnt/virtual type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sda11 on /boot type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sda12 on /usr/portage/distfiles type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/date type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,blksize=4096)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)


Distfiles dir is reiserfs, root is reiser4.
All partitions are clean, checked, no errors or warnings in dmsg and the errors occur only when I try to emerge something.
With kernel-2.6.29 everything goes smoothly.

What could cause this error ?


I stopped using non-compressed/default reiser4 since it seems to lead some problems including the one you posted and also because of the space savings and enhanced performance the compressed
cryptcompress format provides,

so if you get this problem reproducibly, pack metadata of that partition and please send it to Edward Shishkin - he surely can fix it in no time

Quote:
debugfs.reiser4 -P /dev/xxx | gzip > meta.gz


reasons could be:

- some kde4, proprietary driver / program triggered error or BUG in reiser4,
- a kernel problem
- some hardware problem
- ...
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
costel78
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Apr 2007
Posts: 310

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem you misunderstand me, or, due to my imperfect English, I was unable to explain clear. The problem is with reiserfs not reiser4.
/dev/sda12 is mounted in /usr/portage/distfiles and it is reiserfs formated.
When I umount it and /usr/portage/distifiles became part of root (/) everything goes smoothly.

Partial solution was to change kernel config to excluse Extended atributes:
Code:
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY is not set

but now I'm unable to compile nvidia-drivers:
Code:
 error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’

I don't know if it is general problem with 2.6.30 or it's related with my problem with reiserfs partitions.

EDIT: nvidia problem seem to be related with 2.6.30 kernel version: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-772151-highlight-error+%E2%80%98struct+procdirentry%E2%80%99+member+named+%E2%80%98owner%E2%80%99.html
_________________
Sorry for my English. I'm still learning this language.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

costel78 wrote:
It seem you misunderstand me, or, due to my imperfect English, I was unable to explain clear. The problem is with reiserfs not reiser4.
/dev/sda12 is mounted in /usr/portage/distfiles and it is reiserfs formated.
When I umount it and /usr/portage/distifiles became part of root (/) everything goes smoothly.

Partial solution was to change kernel config to excluse Extended atributes:
Code:
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY is not set

but now I'm unable to compile nvidia-drivers:
Code:
 error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’

I don't know if it is general problem with 2.6.30 or it's related with my problem with reiserfs partitions.

EDIT: nvidia problem seem to be related with 2.6.30 kernel version: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-772151-highlight-error+%E2%80%98struct+procdirentry%E2%80%99+member+named+%E2%80%98owner%E2%80%99.html


:? sorry,

I forgot that most of the python program-files of portage aren't on the /usr/portage -> in your special case that's even only distfiles on a separate partition,

so no reiser4-related stuff :roll:

those problems you're seeing most probably were introduced by the latest reiserfs-changes which Jeff Mahoney already had been using for openSUSE (lots of due cleanups and optimizations), so the best place to report those would be the reiserfs mailing list:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.reiserfs.general
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ebrsc
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
ebrsc wrote:
Thanks for the release.

Anyone getting random disconnections with iwl3945? dmesg is silent about this, everything is reported as expected in iwconfig, ifconfig. I'm a bit clueless with this one. FWIW, I got the same issue with latest -mm, latest git from Linus' tree and with -next. However, 2.6.30-zen0 wireless was and is still fine on my machine.

TIA


yep I get it also, its a bug in vanilla 2.6.30 which is why I tried pulling in wireless-testing and the issue still exists, chrome seems to trigger it a lot, so does svn and git, if I use konky I hardly get disconnected


Thanks for your reply. FTR, this seems to be solved now. I used to get disconnected at the very first seconds I used sshfs but it's working as expected since sometimes this last week-end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Aug 2003
Posts: 2138
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrsc wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
ebrsc wrote:
Thanks for the release.

Anyone getting random disconnections with iwl3945? dmesg is silent about this, everything is reported as expected in iwconfig, ifconfig. I'm a bit clueless with this one. FWIW, I got the same issue with latest -mm, latest git from Linus' tree and with -next. However, 2.6.30-zen0 wireless was and is still fine on my machine.

TIA


yep I get it also, its a bug in vanilla 2.6.30 which is why I tried pulling in wireless-testing and the issue still exists, chrome seems to trigger it a lot, so does svn and git, if I use konky I hardly get disconnected


Thanks for your reply. FTR, this seems to be solved now. I used to get disconnected at the very first seconds I used sshfs but it's working as expected since sometimes this last week-end.


oh its definately not fixed, you guys need to use some apps that really hammer the interface
_________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum