Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[kde-testing] and [kde-crazy] KDE4 overlays thread (part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36, 37, 38  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 1133

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsai! wrote:
Well, as a matter of fact, I was using smooth tasks too.
And as panels are persistent over all activities in 4.5 this can be responsible for my overall slowdown.

Is there any alternative to smoothtasks on vertical taskbars?
Does anyone have an idea when panzi will go on with it?


a- for the cpu hog:
Schiwi from kde look wrote:
Ok, a new make from source fix it... ^^


b- for the blur effect there's a patch floating in the air, try to ask for it at kde look.
c- for the memory (leak?) should fit in one of the two options a and b or be reported upstream.
_________________
Every day a new distro comes to birth. Every day a distro "eats" another.
If you're born distro, no matter what, start to run.
---- http://www.linuxprinting.org/ ---- http://tuxmobil.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 15 Aug 2002
Posts: 3251
Location: Gainesville, Florida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Quote:
However, I have another graphics problem, which is troubling.

When I move any window (dolphin, konsole, firefox, konqueror- whatever), by left click/holding the title bar and dragging, hundreds of identical windows trail the main windows all over the screen, remaining until I release the left click. There are still corrupted vestitages of 2-3 surrounding the original window border (whever the final position is), and moving the cursor over those borders partially removes them. Closing and reopening the windows wipes out all traces of the multiple windows.
I did a gcc-4.5.1 rebuild (without graphite), then an emerge -e @system (277 packages), then a complete qt-4.6.3 rebuild (12 packages, then my complete kde install rebuild (currently at 111 packages). Same problem ocurring. :cry:

Then I went to system settings->window behavior, and enabled the "show content when moving/resizing windows" items), and the problem disappears, with content in the moving windows. For years, iI had by default always unchecked ":show content" as I thought it hurt performance (which it did).

This was the whole problem. That it's solved, great, but now even if I uncheck "show content" it doesn't obey, and still shows content when moved. :o
Oh well- at least no more spawning of dragged windows all over the place. :D

However, now another little problem. When trying to open a reply box to post to this forum in konqueror, it crashes witha segfault. Jeez- what next? :roll:

BTW, when using this overlay for kde-4.5.0, is it recommended or really necessary to update the overlay regularly? How much work is really being done on 4.5.0, when all the 9999's are probably the main focus here in the overlay? In other words, will 4.5.0 be getting a few fixes we will really need, before 4.5.1?

I guess 4.5.0 is still not going into portage?
_________________
Main box- AsRock x370 Gaming K4
Ryzen 1700, 3.0GHz, 16GB GSkill Flare DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung SATA 1000GB, Radeon HD R7 350 2GB DDR5
Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.29-r5, gcc-9.2.0 kernel-5.2.10-gentoo USE=experimental
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indi-support for kstars-4.5.0 does not work.
The source of kstars checks for >= indilib-0.6.1. Unfortunately, the ebuild is configured for indilib-0.6 and 0.6.1 is not in portage...
(in sourceforge, there is already indilib 0.6.2... http://sourceforge.net/projects/indi/files/indilib/0.6/)

Digikam-1.2.0 still can't be installed, (emerge just stops at the end of configure, saying configure has failed but gives no reason for that), yet digikam-9999 works...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z_sfeng wrote:
rahulthewall wrote:
Compositing on KDE-4.5.0 kills my poor 945GM. Feels slow, unresponsive and choppy. I am using OpenGL for compositing. Anyone else with similar problems? (on similar hardware)


not killing, but feels slower and more unstable on my GM45.


++

it eats way too many CPU time (130-160 %) and is dog-slow after several seconds kwin disabled compositing

core i7 860, x86_64, gcc 4.5.1, catalyst 10.7, 2.6.35-zen0

the only CPU-hog is X, kwin itself stays at around 1-6 %

besides that I get:
Quote:
[ 359.699980] kwin_opengl_tes[7631]: segfault at 1324bca8 ip 00007f2a10b4657b sp 00007fff953e4c00 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f2a10aff000+163000]
[ 374.427457] kwin_opengl_tes[7633]: segfault at 3bbeca8 ip 00007fd60292257b sp 00007fff8e8421c0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7fd6028db000+163000]
[ 503.504974] kwin_opengl_tes[7727]: segfault at 1e3c2ca8 ip 00007f081c2f457b sp 00007fff3dc3b5b0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f081c2ad000+163000]
[ 640.621497] kwin_opengl_tes[7831]: segfault at ffffffffea4f4ca8 ip 00007f85e97a457b sp 00007fffcb580730 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f85e975d000+163000]
[ 649.298225] kwin_opengl_tes[7833]: segfault at 7006cca8 ip 00007f0e6e17157b sp 00007fffcfb9d710 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0e6e12a000+163000]
[ 698.484365] kwin_opengl_tes[7835]: segfault at ffffffffad1f5ca8 ip 00007f52ac8a857b sp 00007fffa5bf9610 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f52ac861000+163000]
[ 707.597715] kwin_opengl_tes[7836]: segfault at ffffffffb8d55ca8 ip 00007f0eb742c57b sp 00007fff53cc7210 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0eb73e5000+163000]
[ 731.826580] kwin_opengl_tes[7841]: segfault at 2a8aeca8 ip 00007f3228dcd57b sp 00007fff7cb7d9e0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f3228d86000+163000]
[ 1116.611545] kwin_opengl_tes[15202]: segfault at ffffffff90f73ca8 ip 00007f758ed5257b sp 00007ffff4e47300 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f758ed0b000+163000]
[ 1142.009385] kwin_opengl_tes[15203]: segfault at ffffffffe3f2cca8 ip 00007f94e1c9257b sp 00007fff20ffa1f0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f94e1c4b000+163000]
[ 1213.980024] kwin_opengl_tes[15210]: segfault at 6976cca8 ip 00007f0867a1657b sp 00007fffd81f5e10 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f08679cf000+163000]
[ 1340.368535] usb 1-1.3: unlink qh8-0e01/ffff8801bc9ec000 start 5 [1/2 us]
[ 1340.462819] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Disabled
[ 1341.142788] uvesafb: mode switch failed (eax=0x34f, err=0). Trying again with default timings.
[ 1342.298265] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: reused qh ffff8801bc9ec000 schedule
[ 1342.298273] usb 1-1.3: link qh8-0e01/ffff8801bc9ec000 start 5 [1/2 us]
[ 1342.758428] fglrx_pci 0000:01:00.0: irq 55 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 1342.759521] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 29967
[ 1342.759814] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Enabled
[ 1342.970711] [fglrx] Gart USWC size:1280 M.
[ 1342.970713] [fglrx] Gart cacheable size:508 M.
[ 1342.970716] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
[ 1342.970718] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:f8fd000, size:403000
[ 1342.970719] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:3fff4000, size:c000
[ 1345.727095] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Disabled
[ 1346.388561] uvesafb: mode switch failed (eax=0x34f, err=0). Trying again with default timings.
[ 1347.972970] fglrx_pci 0000:01:00.0: irq 55 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 1347.973486] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 29984
[ 1347.973738] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Enabled
[ 1348.169828] [fglrx] Gart USWC size:1280 M.
[ 1348.169830] [fglrx] Gart cacheable size:508 M.
[ 1348.169833] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
[ 1348.169834] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:f8fd000, size:403000
[ 1348.169835] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:3fff4000, size:c000
[ 1377.604723] compiz[30114]: segfault at 3bd033e8 ip 00007f5c39f09ffb sp 00007fff988ae210 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f5c39ec8000+153000]
[ 1410.096249] kwin_opengl_tes[30224]: segfault at 3db4cca8 ip 00007f133bc19ffb sp 00007fffc4862380 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f133bbd8000+153000]
[ 1412.943319] kwin_opengl_tes[30226]: segfault at ffffffffeee86ca8 ip 00007f02edfdaffb sp 00007fff06c79770 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f02edf99000+153000]


almost all effects are disabled (including blur) - what's going on here ? :o
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2868
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may wanna build kwin with debug and FEATURES=nostrip and gdb the kwin_opengl_tesXXX executable to see what's going on. If kwin's opengl test is core dumping, there is something seriously wrong, either code wise or may be even compiler related.

File a bug against kwin with the valid GDB stack and some values from local variables etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 1133

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it still doesn't look clear:

This is a major revision transition, (like the one from 4.3 to 4.4), so:

1) Re-emerge/recompile ANY plasmoid, using the default plasma theme is recommended for testing

2) If you still have issues, remove any plasmoid (for example you can move ~/.kde4 to ~/.kde4old just to test)
and test if it's just a plasmoid issue.

3) If it isn't, you can check with cli command "top" which process is eating your cpu

4) If it isn't plasma you should report the bug

5) If it's plasma return to point 1-2, you likely skipped something.


As a new note, if the issue is only with opengl and not xrender, it may be
a) an already reported bug (reported here, check kdebugs...)
b) some issue with the drivers (I've seen ati and intel graphic card opengl issues,
but still not nvidia ones)
_________________
Every day a new distro comes to birth. Every day a distro "eats" another.
If you're born distro, no matter what, start to run.
---- http://www.linuxprinting.org/ ---- http://tuxmobil.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 1264
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matteo Azzali wrote:
As it still doesn't look clear:

This is a major revision transition, (like the one from 4.3 to 4.4), so:

1) Re-emerge/recompile ANY plasmoid, using the default plasma theme is recommended for testing

2) If you still have issues, remove any plasmoid (for example you can move ~/.kde4 to ~/.kde4old just to test)
and test if it's just a plasmoid issue.

3) If it isn't, you can check with cli command "top" which process is eating your cpu

4) If it isn't plasma you should report the bug

5) If it's plasma return to point 1-2, you likely skipped something.


As a new note, if the issue is only with opengl and not xrender, it may be
a) an already reported bug (reported here, check kdebugs...)
b) some issue with the drivers (I've seen ati and intel graphic card opengl issues,
but still not nvidia ones)


I did recompile all the extra plasmoids that I have installed. Heck, I even did a complete new install of kde, i.e., I removed all kde-4.4 packages and their related dependencies and then installed kde-4.5 fresh from scrath.

However, what I am doing now is this:

I have removed all the extra plasmoids that I had installed. I am then going to switch to OpenGL compositing mode, and let the desktop run for some time and then check on the memory usage. If the usage remains acceptable, then I am going to try to install one plasmoid at a time to see which one was causing the issue.

I am then going to repeat the procedure with Xrender.

And I will try all this with Blur disabled.
_________________
Who shall guard the guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 1264
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenGL Compositing is BAD

There is no need to even run KDE 4.5 in OpenGL mode for more than 5 minutes. Each time I try to enable a new desktop effect, the desktop freezes. Hitting <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <F12> (the shortcut for suspending compositing effects) works and my desktop is back to its responsiveness self.

There are other random failures. Drop down menus won't work, Plasma Menus (like when I click on the Battery Monitor, or if I want to start the Application Launcher) won't work either. These failures are random, but a failure is more the norm than the normal behaviour.

These problems were definitely not there in the 4.4.x series and are a new addition to the KDE 4.5 series.

Bug Report (filed) : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=247839

P.S. The bug report is rather thin right now, I will provide the details if someone over there asks me to do so.
_________________
Who shall guard the guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digikam-9999 fails with:
Quote:
* Failed Patch: digikam-1.3.0-libpgf.patch !
* ( /usr/layman/layman/kde/media-gfx/digikam/files/digikam-1.3.0-libpgf.patch )
*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 1264
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am downgrading to 4.4.5 - 4.5.0 is a mess. Without effects, KDE looks s**t and with effects it does not work (Xrender can not even render half the effects I want).

So, gentoo-devs, keep this thing masked. Don't throw it at even the testing users.
_________________
Who shall guard the guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
loftwyr
l33t
l33t


Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 970
Location: 43°38'23.62"N 79°27'8.60"W

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try it without running compiz? It was crashing before kwin.

Code:


[ 1377.604723] compiz[30114]: segfault at 3bd033e8 ip 00007f5c39f09ffb sp 00007fff988ae210 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f5c39ec8000+153000]


_________________
My emerge --info
Have you run revdep-rebuild lately? It's in gentoolkit and it's worth a shot if things don't work well.
Celebrating 5 years of Gentoo-ing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boccaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated to KDE 4.5.0 yesterday evening and I'm completely hapy with it. However, there is one minor problem I have. At the beginning, my mouse speed was ok. Then, out of a sudden when I was in the systemsettings (but NOT in the mouse section, I was looking for a keyboard shortcut), my mouse speed was reduced a lot. Now I don't know where I can change this back to the original value (whatever this was) as I only found an option to change the mouse acceleration. Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 1133

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:
I am downgrading to 4.4.5 - 4.5.0 is a mess. Without effects, KDE looks s**t and with effects it does not work (Xrender can not even render half the effects I want).

So, gentoo-devs, keep this thing masked. Don't throw it at even the testing users.


As they said in your kde bugreport this looks like an opengl drivers issue.
You used a vanilla 2.6.35 kernel while they asked you to patch it or disable direct rendering.
Christoph Feck wrote:
The freezes are caused by intel KMS kernel drivers. Update to kernel 2.6.35,
use a kernel which has these https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=617530
patches backported, or disable Direct rendering in systemsettings.


You can still ask gentoo-sources devs to insert that patch in the kernel
(if you check the bottom of the page, them are still not in 2.6.35.1)
but the right way is to patch it manually for now and wait for 2.6.35.2 .
_________________
Every day a new distro comes to birth. Every day a distro "eats" another.
If you're born distro, no matter what, start to run.
---- http://www.linuxprinting.org/ ---- http://tuxmobil.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 1264
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matteo Azzali wrote:
rahulthewall wrote:
I am downgrading to 4.4.5 - 4.5.0 is a mess. Without effects, KDE looks s**t and with effects it does not work (Xrender can not even render half the effects I want).

So, gentoo-devs, keep this thing masked. Don't throw it at even the testing users.


As they said in your kde bugreport this looks like an opengl drivers issue.
You used a vanilla 2.6.35 kernel while they asked you to patch it or disable direct rendering.
Christoph Feck wrote:
The freezes are caused by intel KMS kernel drivers. Update to kernel 2.6.35,
use a kernel which has these https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=617530
patches backported, or disable Direct rendering in systemsettings.


You can still ask gentoo-sources devs to insert that patch in the kernel
(if you check the bottom of the page, them are still not in 2.6.35.1)
but the right way is to patch it manually for now and wait for 2.6.35.2 .


In my ramblings, I was not quite coherent last night. I used the latest zen-kernel (stable) and last I looked, the patches were there. I will just repeat what I wrote there.

I was frustrated yesterday, a combination of a lot of effects. I very well
understand that it is not possible to test the software on the myriad of
hardware configurations that exist out there. However, the problem is that I
looked at the patches from the bugzilla report here:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=36464

I looked at my kernel source tree (I am using the zen kernel), and each and
every one of these patches is present. And I am using the kernel with these
patches - and I still have the problem with the menus and OpenGL rendering.

This is why I am now asking where can I now take this bug report?
_________________
Who shall guard the guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:

In my ramblings, I was not quite coherent last night. I used the latest zen-kernel (stable) and last I looked, the patches were there. I will just repeat what I wrote there.

I was frustrated yesterday, a combination of a lot of effects. I very well
understand that it is not possible to test the software on the myriad of
hardware configurations that exist out there. However, the problem is that I
looked at the patches from the bugzilla report here:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=36464

I looked at my kernel source tree (I am using the zen kernel), and each and
every one of these patches is present. And I am using the kernel with these
patches - and I still have the problem with the menus and OpenGL rendering.

This is why I am now asking where can I now take this bug report?


try it on top of a vanilla-kernel or gentoo-sources :idea:
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2868
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:
This is why I am now asking where can I now take this bug report?
Most likely kernel. You need to figure which kernel first.

So, try vanilla or gentoo sources as kernel_of_truth mentioned.

BTW: This has nothing to do with KDE. KDE just enabled something which should have been in place anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 1264
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
rahulthewall wrote:
This is why I am now asking where can I now take this bug report?
Most likely kernel. You need to figure which kernel first.

So, try vanilla or gentoo sources as kernel_of_truth mentioned.

BTW: This has nothing to do with KDE. KDE just enabled something which should have been in place anyway.


The OpenGL freezing is definitely a kernel issue, while the problem with the menu items is another issue. That might still be related to Kwin, hence KDE.
_________________
Who shall guard the guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devsk
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 2868
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:
devsk wrote:
rahulthewall wrote:
This is why I am now asking where can I now take this bug report?
Most likely kernel. You need to figure which kernel first.

So, try vanilla or gentoo sources as kernel_of_truth mentioned.

BTW: This has nothing to do with KDE. KDE just enabled something which should have been in place anyway.


The OpenGL freezing is definitely a kernel issue, while the problem with the menu items is another issue. That might still be related to Kwin, hence KDE.
Yup. I was talking about the opengl freezing part only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kingoftherings
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 328

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 4.5.0 from the overlay, but the Oxygen/Ozone widget style is missing.
It was working when I first updated, but somewhere between then and now it's gone.

These are what I have for options in the Widget's style of System Settings
http://imgur.com/redAe.png

I don't remember the name exactly, but either Oxygen or Ozone is usually in there.
I removed my ~/.kde4 directory and rebuilt all the KDE stuff last night, but it hasn't solved the issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 1264
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we somehow have an ebuild for this project:

http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon-mplayer
_________________
Who shall guard the guards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xibo
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 21 Aug 2007
Posts: 152
Location: moving between kubuntu and ubuntu kde edition

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:
Can we somehow have an ebuild for this project:

http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon-mplayer

maybe, but then in qting-edge or multimedia, as phonon and mplayer are not related to kde.
_________________
pjp wrote:
shickapooka800 wrote:
there are plenty of ubuntards in coffee shops around the globe these days.
Yes, but they're only smart enough to recognize they want to be popular, yet too stupid to recognize that it isn't a Mac.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7106
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to install beta kdepim-4.5 alongside kde-4.5.0?
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lustmored
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 206
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unmask packages from Documentation/package.unmask(.d?)/kdepim-4.5 and emerge world :)

although for me kdepim-4.5.9999 is much more stable than kdepim-4.4.92 :?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 12 May 2002
Posts: 265
Location: Leiria, Portugal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
z_sfeng wrote:
rahulthewall wrote:
Compositing on KDE-4.5.0 kills my poor 945GM. Feels slow, unresponsive and choppy. I am using OpenGL for compositing. Anyone else with similar problems? (on similar hardware)


not killing, but feels slower and more unstable on my GM45.


++

it eats way too many CPU time (130-160 %) and is dog-slow after several seconds kwin disabled compositing

core i7 860, x86_64, gcc 4.5.1, catalyst 10.7, 2.6.35-zen0

the only CPU-hog is X, kwin itself stays at around 1-6 %

besides that I get:
Quote:
[ 359.699980] kwin_opengl_tes[7631]: segfault at 1324bca8 ip 00007f2a10b4657b sp 00007fff953e4c00 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f2a10aff000+163000]
[ 374.427457] kwin_opengl_tes[7633]: segfault at 3bbeca8 ip 00007fd60292257b sp 00007fff8e8421c0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7fd6028db000+163000]
[ 503.504974] kwin_opengl_tes[7727]: segfault at 1e3c2ca8 ip 00007f081c2f457b sp 00007fff3dc3b5b0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f081c2ad000+163000]
[ 640.621497] kwin_opengl_tes[7831]: segfault at ffffffffea4f4ca8 ip 00007f85e97a457b sp 00007fffcb580730 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f85e975d000+163000]
[ 649.298225] kwin_opengl_tes[7833]: segfault at 7006cca8 ip 00007f0e6e17157b sp 00007fffcfb9d710 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0e6e12a000+163000]
[ 698.484365] kwin_opengl_tes[7835]: segfault at ffffffffad1f5ca8 ip 00007f52ac8a857b sp 00007fffa5bf9610 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f52ac861000+163000]
[ 707.597715] kwin_opengl_tes[7836]: segfault at ffffffffb8d55ca8 ip 00007f0eb742c57b sp 00007fff53cc7210 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0eb73e5000+163000]
[ 731.826580] kwin_opengl_tes[7841]: segfault at 2a8aeca8 ip 00007f3228dcd57b sp 00007fff7cb7d9e0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f3228d86000+163000]
[ 1116.611545] kwin_opengl_tes[15202]: segfault at ffffffff90f73ca8 ip 00007f758ed5257b sp 00007ffff4e47300 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f758ed0b000+163000]
[ 1142.009385] kwin_opengl_tes[15203]: segfault at ffffffffe3f2cca8 ip 00007f94e1c9257b sp 00007fff20ffa1f0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f94e1c4b000+163000]
[ 1213.980024] kwin_opengl_tes[15210]: segfault at 6976cca8 ip 00007f0867a1657b sp 00007fffd81f5e10 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f08679cf000+163000]
[ 1340.368535] usb 1-1.3: unlink qh8-0e01/ffff8801bc9ec000 start 5 [1/2 us]
[ 1340.462819] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Disabled
[ 1341.142788] uvesafb: mode switch failed (eax=0x34f, err=0). Trying again with default timings.
[ 1342.298265] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.0: reused qh ffff8801bc9ec000 schedule
[ 1342.298273] usb 1-1.3: link qh8-0e01/ffff8801bc9ec000 start 5 [1/2 us]
[ 1342.758428] fglrx_pci 0000:01:00.0: irq 55 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 1342.759521] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 29967
[ 1342.759814] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Enabled
[ 1342.970711] [fglrx] Gart USWC size:1280 M.
[ 1342.970713] [fglrx] Gart cacheable size:508 M.
[ 1342.970716] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
[ 1342.970718] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:f8fd000, size:403000
[ 1342.970719] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:3fff4000, size:c000
[ 1345.727095] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Disabled
[ 1346.388561] uvesafb: mode switch failed (eax=0x34f, err=0). Trying again with default timings.
[ 1347.972970] fglrx_pci 0000:01:00.0: irq 55 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 1347.973486] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 29984
[ 1347.973738] [fglrx] IRQ 55 Enabled
[ 1348.169828] [fglrx] Gart USWC size:1280 M.
[ 1348.169830] [fglrx] Gart cacheable size:508 M.
[ 1348.169833] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
[ 1348.169834] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:f8fd000, size:403000
[ 1348.169835] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:3fff4000, size:c000
[ 1377.604723] compiz[30114]: segfault at 3bd033e8 ip 00007f5c39f09ffb sp 00007fff988ae210 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f5c39ec8000+153000]
[ 1410.096249] kwin_opengl_tes[30224]: segfault at 3db4cca8 ip 00007f133bc19ffb sp 00007fffc4862380 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f133bbd8000+153000]
[ 1412.943319] kwin_opengl_tes[30226]: segfault at ffffffffeee86ca8 ip 00007f02edfdaffb sp 00007fff06c79770 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f02edf99000+153000]


almost all effects are disabled (including blur) - what's going on here ? :o


well , in here ( core2 at 2GHZ and an intel 945GMobile ), i have all the effects i want enabled ( the ones i like visually and usuability , .... so , most of them are enabled :) )

also i am using blur and using qtcurve transparent windows style. everything works really well , can move blured transparent windows with no perceived performance loss

it does has that problem that every setting i change , i have to restart kwin. i already have an keyboard shortcut to "kwin --replace &" :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krog
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Jun 2007
Posts: 330
Location: Roma, Italy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

core i7 920 and 6GB ram
here too X uses all my 8 cores (!) for a long time at 100% letting me unable also to just see a movie. Kwin and plasma at normal cpu usage.

No difference if compositing is on or off!

Following the thread i upgraded to nvidia-drivers-256.44 AND rebuilt (or removed) any binary plasmoid.
Now it seems ok but the problem appeared just sometimes... i will post again if it still persist
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 33 of 38

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum