Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New LinuxDNA 64bit patch out for 2.6.32 - testers wanted!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: New LinuxDNA 64bit patch out for 2.6.32 - testers wanted! Reply with quote

Well we finally have a 2.6.32 patch out and it is for 64bit systems. It has been tested on an Atom 330 cpu and works great. You can get the patch here:

wget http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-2.6.32.7-intel64-3.patch

wget http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-2.6.33-rc7-atom-intel64-2.patch

wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.32.7.tar.bz2

It has been tested to work with the latest version 11.1.064 and .059 compilers and kernel 2.6.32.7. earlier .32 kernels *do not* work, fyi!

Have fun :D
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds


Last edited by Thaidog on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7113
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff - now please give me a 2.6.33 version ;)
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Cool stuff - now please give me a 2.6.33 version ;)


haha we're on it! 8)
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 1173
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a chance to use genkernel with ICC and that patchset?
_________________
Please stand by - The mailer daemon is busy burning your messages in hell...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
Is there a chance to use genkernel with ICC and that patchset?


Probably not with out a bit of hacking. I will look in to it though!
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 1173
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed some things in the genkernel help output which could be a clue.


genkernel help wrote:
Low-Level Compile settings
--kernel-cc=<compiler> Compiler to use for kernel (e.g. distcc)
--kernel-as=<assembler> Assembler to use for kernel
--kernel-ld=<linker> Linker to use for kernel
--kernel-cross-compile=<cross var> CROSS_COMPILE kernel variable
--kernel-make=<makeprg> GNU Make to use for kernel
--utils-cc=<compiler> Compiler to use for utilities
--utils-as=<assembler> Assembler to use for utils
--utils-ld=<linker> Linker to use for utils
--utils-make=<makeprog> GNU Make to use for utils
--utils-cross-compile=<cross var> CROSS_COMPILE utils variable
--utils-arch=<arch> Force to arch for utils only instead of
autodetect.
--makeopts=<makeopts> Make options such as -j2, etc...


In my case I need the initrd to be able to boot...
_________________
Please stand by - The mailer daemon is busy burning your messages in hell...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
I just noticed some things in the genkernel help output which could be a clue.


genkernel help wrote:
Low-Level Compile settings
--kernel-cc=<compiler> Compiler to use for kernel (e.g. distcc)
--kernel-as=<assembler> Assembler to use for kernel
--kernel-ld=<linker> Linker to use for kernel
--kernel-cross-compile=<cross var> CROSS_COMPILE kernel variable
--kernel-make=<makeprg> GNU Make to use for kernel
--utils-cc=<compiler> Compiler to use for utilities
--utils-as=<assembler> Assembler to use for utils
--utils-ld=<linker> Linker to use for utils
--utils-make=<makeprog> GNU Make to use for utils
--utils-cross-compile=<cross var> CROSS_COMPILE utils variable
--utils-arch=<arch> Force to arch for utils only instead of
autodetect.
--makeopts=<makeopts> Make options such as -j2, etc...


In my case I need the initrd to be able to boot...


You should not have to use genkernel just to have initird... but why do you have to have initrd? (just out of curiosity)
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 1173
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
You should not have to use genkernel just to have initird... but why do you have to have initrd? (just out of curiosity)


btrfs as rootfs, but btrfs compiled as module so I don't have to recompile the kernel on every patch applied...
_________________
Please stand by - The mailer daemon is busy burning your messages in hell...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asturm
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7113
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But make is quite intelligent anyway and would only recompile those modules that have changed.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 2674
Location: here, there or in transit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Unsupported Software, better off here.
_________________
Plants are pithy, brooks tend to babble--I'm content to lie between them.
Super-short f.g.o checklist: Search first, strip comments, mark solved, help others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Cool stuff - now please give me a 2.6.33 version ;)


FYI the patch should work with 2.6.33-rc6. Luyi used that to run benchmarks.

EDIT:

This one should be better:

http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-2.6.33-rc7-atom-intel64-2.patch
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds


Last edited by Thaidog on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New patches:

http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-2.6.32.7-intel64-3.patch

Fixes issues with icc modules not working/loading and module checksum issues.

For 2.6.33-rc7:

http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-2.6.33-rc7-atom-intel64-2.patch
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o


No need to add AR=xiar LD=xild to the command any more.
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o


No need to add AR=xiar LD=xild to the command any more.


with the patch it hangs all the same with make && make modules_install.
if i simply source icc, but don't apply the patch, it compiles fine.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o


No need to add AR=xiar LD=xild to the command any more.


with the patch it hangs all the same with make && make modules_install.
if i simply source icc, but don't apply the patch, it compiles fine.


What version ICC are you using? Also, what patch and kernel are you using? 64bit or 32bit?
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o


No need to add AR=xiar LD=xild to the command any more.


with the patch it hangs all the same with make && make modules_install.
if i simply source icc, but don't apply the patch, it compiles fine.


What version ICC are you using? Also, what patch and kernel are you using? 64bit or 32bit?


icc-11.1.064. am using the 64bit patch for a 32bit core2 intel mobo. whatever, with the various intelwrappers(different flags)
or without the wrappers and the patch it still hangs. it makes me think that the patch isn't responsible for it.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o


No need to add AR=xiar LD=xild to the command any more.


with the patch it hangs all the same with make && make modules_install.
if i simply source icc, but don't apply the patch, it compiles fine.


What version ICC are you using? Also, what patch and kernel are you using? 64bit or 32bit?


icc-11.1.064. am using the 64bit patch for a 32bit core2 intel mobo. whatever, with the various intelwrappers(different flags)
or without the wrappers and the patch it still hangs. it makes me think that the patch isn't responsible for it.


It actually has not been tested for 32bit systems. That could be it. I am actually out of town right now and Luyi has not had time to test it on 32bit. You could try the 2.6.30.5 patch however which is 32bit.
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
make AR=xiar LD=xild && make AR=xiar LD=xild modules_install


with patch make hangs at;

xild: executing 'ld'
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/addon_cpuid_features.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
MKCAP arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o


No need to add AR=xiar LD=xild to the command any more.


with the patch it hangs all the same with make && make modules_install.
if i simply source icc, but don't apply the patch, it compiles fine.


What version ICC are you using? Also, what patch and kernel are you using? 64bit or 32bit?


icc-11.1.064. am using the 64bit patch for a 32bit core2 intel mobo. whatever, with the various intelwrappers(different flags)
or without the wrappers and the patch it still hangs. it makes me think that the patch isn't responsible for it.


It actually has not been tested for 32bit systems. That could be it. I am actually out of town right now and Luyi has not had time to test it on 32bit. You could try the 2.6.30.5 patch however which is 32bit.


yes it looks like it's the 64-bit patch on 32-bit.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we'll try to get a similar 32bit patch out asap.
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Mar 2005
Posts: 1160

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
Ok we'll try to get a similar 32bit patch out asap.


that would be nice. thanks.
_________________
this is a strange strange world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 1173
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news about genkernel (ab)use?
_________________
Please stand by - The mailer daemon is busy burning your messages in hell...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
any news about genkernel (ab)use?


Still have not had a chance to try it. It could be that genkernel explicitly relies on gcc or you may simply be able to get it to work with something like:

Code:

genkernel all CC=icc HOSTCC=icc


Why not give it a shot and see what happens?
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ebrsc
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what I get:
Code:
ipo: warning #11009: file format not recognized for arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/note.o
ipo: warning #11009: file format not recognized for arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/int80.o
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/intel64/libirc_s.a when searching for -lirc_s
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/intel64/libirc_s.a when searching for -lirc_s
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/intel64/libirc_s.a when searching for -lirc_s
ld: cannot find -lirc_s
make[2]: *** [arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-int80.so.dbg] Error 1
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/vdso] Error 2
make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2


disclaimer: first time ever that I use that icc stuff, so I'm super noob on the subject and may have done something extremely dumb.

linux 2.6.32.8
dna-2.6.32.8-intel64.patch
icc 11.1.064-1
on x86_64 machine

/edit: just saw this http://groups.google.com/group/linuxdna/browse_thread/thread/2cbf65f5303104a7?pli=1
retrying with 32bit-compiler installed as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 May 2004
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrsc wrote:
here's what I get:
Code:
ipo: warning #11009: file format not recognized for arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/note.o
ipo: warning #11009: file format not recognized for arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/int80.o
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/intel64/libirc_s.a when searching for -lirc_s
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/intel64/libirc_s.a when searching for -lirc_s
ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/intel64/libirc_s.a when searching for -lirc_s
ld: cannot find -lirc_s
make[2]: *** [arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-int80.so.dbg] Error 1
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/vdso] Error 2
make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2


disclaimer: first time ever that I use that icc stuff, so I'm super noob on the subject and may have done something extremely dumb.

linux 2.6.32.8
dna-2.6.32.8-intel64.patch
icc 11.1.064-1
on x86_64 machine

/edit: just saw this http://groups.google.com/group/linuxdna/browse_thread/thread/2cbf65f5303104a7?pli=1
retrying with 32bit-compiler installed as well.


A few more questions:
What cpu are you using? What command do you use to source the compiler?
_________________
Registered Linux User: 437619
"I'm a big believer in technology over politics" - Linus Torvalds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum